As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

#pipe is no longer appeased [YouTube/Internet Videos]

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Those are dik-diks

You're thinking of delicious fajitas.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    You’re so close!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Name me a single show for Quibi.

You can't. They don't exist. It was a collective hallucination.

Ron Funches' Quiz Show that he talked about on the beastcast but i never watched

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

something I haven't appreciated yet from this show is the amazing delivery of "Then, of course, winter came, and Heather got sick"

like oh yeah, of course if you got a gold arm you're gonna get sick come winter time.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yo that golden arm lady is the first Quibi content I've ever seen before and honest to god it's pretty funny and I'd probably watch it

The fact that they only allowed you to watch their content on their phone app and you couldn't record it meaning this person had to FILM THEIR PHONE SCREEN IN ORDER TO TWEET THAT VIDEO is probably a function of why I am only just learning about this show now

Quibi deserves to die and I wish everyone at the top would get laughed out of their careers forevermore, but I hope the people who did that golden arm show land on their golden feet

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    cursedking wrote: »

something I haven't appreciated yet from this show is the amazing delivery of "Then, of course, winter came, and Heather got sick"

like oh yeah, of course if you got a gold arm you're gonna get sick come winter time.

if only she'd migrated to the southern hemisphere in November

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Yo that golden arm lady is the first Quibi content I've ever seen before and honest to god it's pretty funny and I'd probably watch it

The fact that they only allowed you to watch their content on their phone app and you couldn't record it meaning this person had to FILM THEIR PHONE SCREEN IN ORDER TO TWEET THAT VIDEO is probably a function of why I am only just learning about this show now

Quibi deserves to die and I wish everyone at the top would get laughed out of their careers forevermore, but I hope the people who did that golden arm show land on their golden feet
    Like, it's funny on purpose?

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    looking forward to all the quibi postmortems, because it is hilarious how badly everyone involved seemed to understand the market

like stadia has been fun to point and laugh at, but at least on paper I can understand what sort of person it would appeal to as a product

I have no idea who quibi would ostensibly have been for

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's a new market, therefore everyone wanted to throw money at the chance to monopolize it, in case it turned out valuable. Same reason cryptocurrency has value primarily because at some point someone might figure out a purpose for it and then OH BOY THE RETURNS or something.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ66wJFD3bs

Slow Motion Sneeze, also featuring an interview with Dr. Fauci :O

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    It's a new market, therefore everyone wanted to throw money at the chance to monopolize it, in case it turned out valuable. Same reason cryptocurrency has value primarily because at some point someone might figure out a purpose for it and then OH BOY THE RETURNS or something.

I thought bitcoin was for ordering illicit substances from the dark web?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    looking forward to all the quibi postmortems, because it is hilarious how badly everyone involved seemed to understand the market

like stadia has been fun to point and laugh at, but at least on paper I can understand what sort of person it would appeal to as a product

I have no idea who quibi would ostensibly have been for

It essentially went like this:
    2 industry moguls in their 60s observe that they are losing viewership to "people on phones"
    So they decide to make content for phones. And what's typical for phone viewing:
    - Shorter programs
    - different screen sizes and portrait/landscape modes

Add to that if a "program" is shorter than x length, certain union rules don't apply.

So they pay everyone in the industry a ton of money to produce content that has both portrait and landscape modes, and as a result only has interesting things happening in the middle third of the screen.

Then comes the marketing. In a truely insane mindset, they are afraid that things will leak easily because the programs are so short. So they forbid any kind of development on sharing on social media. They also don't think it will look good enough to work on TVs or Laptops, so they make their app so it doesn't load on big devices.

To snag creators, they offer full rights holdership to early adopters. This is how they drew in all those big names.

In the end, a bunch of investors lost a ton of money, while creative people got paid through one of the toughest years in modern history. I laugh at Quibi, but the only thing to be mad about is that nobody is going to think that people that are 65+ should be in charge of deciding what the public wants to see...

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

that's what the people who spend it use it for, but the people who like, create and invest in different versions of bitcoin are banking on the hope that someday it will become a more common form of payment on the level of cash and credit, and if their version is the winner and they have a controlling stake in it then they'll suddenly become extremely wealthy and powerful

it's all one giant scheme, and if it ever does happen bitcoin has already won (unless something happens that makes it implode, which is definitely possible)

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Bitcoin used to be more of a pump and dump scheme, but from what I gather it has attracted a ton of fintech interest because of its very high volatility. The short version is the more volatile a trading good is, the more money you can make out of being a "better" buyer/seller. Fast responding algorithms are all over the stock market, and are now all over BTC too. The end result is basically that they are buying slightly cheaper and selling slightly higher because they see short term changes faster than you can react, and that is where their profit lies.

Those people don't give a fuck about blockchains but they love anywhere they can leverage their inherent advantages.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So it's like the stock market but faster?

https://youtu.be/7P0JM3h7IQk

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Stock market but no one can actually cash out to a significant degree

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Ahhh, but you can! You just have to pay a huge transaction fee and wait like 6 months, but eventually an exchange will deposit USD$dollars into your account!

If they haven't closed and stolen everyone's bitcoins first, that is.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Ahhh, but you can! You just have to pay a huge transaction fee and wait like 6 months, but eventually an exchange will deposit USD$dollars into your account!

If they haven't closed and stolen everyone's bitcoins first, that is.

There's a fascinating dive into tracking down lost Bitcoin on the Reply-All podcast.
    Reply-All ep115 The Bitcoin Hunter

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

that's what the people who spend it use it for, but the people who like, create and invest in different versions of bitcoin are banking on the hope that someday it will become a more common form of payment on the level of cash and credit, and if their version is the winner and they have a controlling stake in it then they'll suddenly become extremely wealthy and powerful

it's all one giant scheme, and if it ever does happen bitcoin has already won (unless something happens that makes it implode, which is definitely possible)

The secret being that no blockchain-based currency will actually be practical because it takes exponentially more energy to compute a transaction the more transactions ever happen, because the whole point of blockchain is that every transaction contains an immutable record of the entire history of every transaction that has ever occured. As that article pointed out, making a transaction with bitcoin currently takes enough computation to require enough electricity to power a 2 person home for 3 months.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Most evenings, once the yard goes quiet, Fable likes to sit and chat to herself. It's her own quiet time to try out her words, play around with the intonation, and try new sounds out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk0jyySGMck

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The funniest thing about bit coin and all the other crypto currencies is when zealots go on and on about how much better it is and how central banks are thieves

And then a couple of Russians hack into an exchange and steal hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin which is completely unrecoverable and the exchange just goes "oops lol" and shuts down and everyone with money in that exchange is shit outta luck

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Like, it's funny on purpose?
    It's apparently a Sam Reimi show. Suddenly this all makes perfect sense and I need to see it.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Being a Russian hacker who steals hundreds of millions of dollars from people who have absolutely no recourse sounds pretty attractive how does one get into that

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Being a Russian hacker who steals hundreds of millions of dollars from people who have absolutely no recourse sounds pretty attractive how does one get into that
    Apparently if you meet a baseline of competence, it's basically impossible to catch someone for cybercrimes. So just get a CS degree or something and go to town.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Alright but if anything goes wrong I'm going to need you to hide me inside your home and also take the rap I CANNOT go to prison

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ66wJFD3bs

Slow Motion Sneeze, also featuring an interview with Dr. Fauci :O

god watching someone cough and sneeze in slow-mo is way more disturbing than i thought it would be

wear a mask everybody i feel gross just thinking about that landing on me

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Just because it still makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awf45u6zrP0

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I watched a ton of commercials for Quibi when it was first being released. The content seemed mostly quality but I never seriously considered getting the program despite that. They handled this shit terribly.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

We told you, over and over. But you just didn't listen.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Just because it still makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awf45u6zrP0

I remember another version with Javert's suicide song but it's been nuked off the internet.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I had never heard of Liz Phair before this

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
This discussion has been closed.