As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 Election] The Long Weekend

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Another reform we should push for is ending the practice of elected sheriffs. Because that's a super Republican elected sheriff doing that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    The police are here to make sure you don't vote.

Organizers in Graham, NC are reporting that local police attacked a march to the polls, pepper-spraying children and arresting at least 2 people including a reporter. Situation is ongoing.

Jillian Johnson is the Mayor Pro Tem of Durham, NC

Jesus fucking christ

Dismantle that entire office now

I am looking forward to DOJ having a Civil Rights Division again.

Honestly, shit like this makes me think that's a pipe dream.

Real hard to not cheat an election when you already have an army ready to fuck people up for you benefit, without you even saying so.

I get the sense that the police will do everything they can to force the election to go to Trump, specifically because they want to keep murdering and beating people without consequence.

I mean, there's no promise that they'd ever actually face a consequence regardless of the election's outcome - but Trump loudly celebrates their ability to be actual literal murderers.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Organizers in Graham, NC are reporting that local police attacked a march to the polls, pepper-spraying children and arresting at least 2 people including a reporter. Situation is ongoing.

Jesus fucking christ

The thing to understand about Alamance County is that it is the county between the urban and diverse areas of the Triangle and the Triad, is crossed by I-40, is super fucking racist even by Southern standards, and is about a generation from seeing it all vanish due to gentrification and suburbanization from its neighbors.

Shitting up the county’s reputation and making people afraid of it is the goal. Biden and the Cooper, if they win, need to make an example of it.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Apparently this was a permitted march organized by a local church group.

Apparently police sprayed participants including children with pepper spray , tackled and arrested middle school aged kids, and dismantled a stage and prevented scheduled speakers from talking.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Jesus fucking christ

The thing to understand about Alamance County is that it is the county between the urban and diverse areas of the Triangle and the Triad, is crossed by I-40, is super fucking racist even by Southern standards, and is about a generation from seeing it all vanish due to gentrification and suburbanization from its neighbors.

Shitting up the county’s reputation and making people afraid of it is the goal. Biden and the Cooper, if they win, need to make an example of it.

Spectacle, violence, fear and death are the only things fascists understand or respect

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    A late-campaign addition to Trump's rally speeches is that he or someone else could easily push Biden to the ground, like Biden would fall over quickly if they tried.

"A slight slap. You don't have to close...your fist," he just said in Pennsylvania.
    The president fantasizing about this garbage is really going to bring home the people outside the base

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    I really think states need to change the signature rules. The idea that it's up to someone's judgement feels wrong as it can make disenfranchisement so easy. I've heard she states allowing you to sign with last 4 of social and date of birth.

I'm worried about my signature. I joined the military at 17, and because of the forms, I developed a really sloppy signature. Just wanted to get through all the forms.

It's kind of consistent but is just squiggly lines really. If it wasn't california I'd be worried my ballot would be thrown out.

• Options

Apparently police sprayed participants including children with pepper spray , tackled and arrested middle school aged kids, and dismantled a stage and prevented scheduled speakers from talking.

This is so fucked up I hope it gains national traction.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Is that video supposed to be of something? It just seems like nausea-inducing shaky-cam of nothing.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So, uh, there are protestors at Barr's house, supposedly chanting and harassing him.

They're TRUMP supporters, angry at Barr for not arresting Biden.

What the fuck.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    So, uh, there are protestors at Barr's house, supposedly chanting and harassing him.

They're TRUMP supporters, angry at Barr for not arresting Biden.

What the fuck.

Wow at first I thought it would be left leaners. But no, evil eats evil.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How dare he not make himself the direct and immediate cause of a civil war that will plunge the world into chaos!

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

A: I think it says a lot about what the Trump internal polling says when the official strategy is now "Win 1 state that doesn't even seal the deal and then just bitch and moan a lot"

B: As usual they suck at this, this sort of strat doesn't work nearly as well when you've already let everyone know what you're gonna try. They're also not even really making legal preparations to challenge ballots, just Trump making the same arguments he has for the last 2 months

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    A late-campaign addition to Trump's rally speeches is that he or someone else could easily push Biden to the ground, like Biden would fall over quickly if they tried.

"A slight slap. You don't have to close...your fist," he just said in Pennsylvania.
    The president fantasizing about this garbage is really going to bring home the people outside the base

Whoaaaaa projection! Biden rides a bike around and runs up stairs and across stages! Donald Trump tips forward perilously while standing and leans full body on podiums when he's talking! We all know who would get pushed over easier...

• Options
    Xantomas wrote: »

Whoaaaaa projection! Biden rides a bike around and runs up stairs and across stages! Donald Trump tips forward perilously while standing and leans full body on podiums when he's talking! We all know who would get pushed over easier...

I mean he's really still mad about his predecessor.

Biden's digital director. Obama casually draining a three, because it's late in an election he thinks he's about to win.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »

A: I think it says a lot about what the Trump internal polling says when the official strategy is now "Win 1 state that doesn't even seal the deal and then just bitch and moan a lot"

B: As usual they suck at this, this sort of strat doesn't work nearly as well when you've already let everyone know what you're gonna try. They're also not even really making legal preparations to challenge ballots, just Trump making the same arguments he has for the last 2 months

C. The biggest problem here is the media reports on this like it's just election strategy rather then the President's campaign literally saying their goal is to undermine democracy.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    EDIT: Beat

shryke on
  • Options

Biden's digital director. Obama casually draining a three, because it's late in an election he thinks he's about to win.

I miss obama. If there was ever a president that deserved a 3rd term, it's him. But If you allow that you open up the door to 8 more years of trump, assuming he can stay healthy. But I'm sure his supporters would still vote for a decrepit senile.man.

I hope obama helps push things over this election, he seems a lot more involved this time around.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

C. The biggest problem here is the media reports on this like it's just election strategy rather then the President's campaign literally saying their goal is to undermine democracy.

Yeah it's real fucked up that the state of the media is basically

President: "What if I order coup, and have my opponents jailed or murdered?"

Media: "Mr. President, "coup" and "murder" are loaded words. I'll just put down that you won't commit to transfer of power and are having a great time at the rally."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Eh, okay. But also put down that I'd really like, uh, someone to punch him. It'd be easy, you know. I'd do it. I could."

"Of course, Mr. President."

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I miss obama. If there was ever a president that deserved a 3rd term, it's him. But If you allow that you open up the door to 8 more years of trump, assuming he can stay healthy. But I'm sure his supporters would still vote for a decrepit senile.man.

I hope obama helps push things over this election, he seems a lot more involved this time around.

Obama would have annihilated Trump if they ever ran against each other.

• Options

Given he's the king of projection, he must be utterly exhausted from the COVID recovery and the campaign schedule and is mad that Biden apparently isn't showing any sign of that despite being a whopping 3.5 years older. :razz:

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So it sounds like that Graham event is at least a little hazy:

https://www.wxii12.com/article/graham-vote-rally-police-pepper-spray/34541115#

Obviously that story is largely giving law enforcements side. But it sounds like they had a permit for the gathering but not to close the street, and the crowd blocked traffic, and blah blah blah.

Not saying it didn’t involve unnecessary escalation, but it sounds like their permit didn’t cover what the crowd was actually doing.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    enlightenedbum was warned for this.
    mcdermott wrote: »

Obviously that story is largely giving law enforcements side. But it sounds like they had a permit for the gathering but not to close the street, and the crowd blocked traffic, and blah blah blah.

Not saying it didn’t involve unnecessary escalation, but it sounds like their permit didn’t cover what the crowd was actually doing.

With all due respect, this is an asinine, boot licking post.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Going as Steph Curry for Halloween this year, eh? Nice.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The reason I can see it thrown out is because she is deceased before election day. Like, I can see the reasoning. Don't think it's right though.

If you are dead, you don't care about the result of the election either way. Dead people shouldn't rule/vote beyond their grave.

You do realize this opens a giant can of worms, correct? If dead people's votes don't count, you can just make a whole lot of people whose votes you don't want to count dead.

On this note, please remember what all of our reactions were about the right talking about how Justice Scalia's vote should have counted after he died.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular

Ah yes, nothing like a paper thin excuse to give police the reason to gas and beat children and innocent citizens. Truly, both sides!

• Options
    Selzer has Greenfield down 4 in Iowa, dammit. 46-42 so there's hope, but not good. Dunno what happened in that race to have people rally around Ernst. Might have been people thinking Biden is going to win? Because Americans are idiots and don't want anything to actually happen.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

Ah yes, nothing like a paper thin excuse to give police the reason to gas and beat children and innocent citizens. Truly, both sides!

I mean, context is important, but rom what I can tell from the various reports coming in, things were in the right for law enforcement up to when they actually showed up and did anything. The demonstrators violated the terms of their permit and blocked access to a polling location to multiple individuals, which they were expressly forbidden to do in their permit.

Rather than talking with the demonstrators, the cops then decided to pepper spray dozens of people, do malicious damage of private property, and willfully and wantonly attack and assault minors. The problem is, once again, with the police here. Their actions are disproportionate to the problem provided by the event. Farmers Markets regularly violate their permits in the same way and usually a casual conversation or a few tickets will solve it.

Fuck the police here.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    mcdermott was warned for this.

With all due respect, this is an asinine, boot licking post.

With all due respect, go fuck yourself. See how putting "with all due respect" and then saying rude shit doesn't actually work? So I won't do that, and you shouldn't either.

I only mentioned it because of this comment earlier:

See, "permitted march" could be misinterpreted. They had a permit to organize at the site, but not a permit to block the street. The distinction matters, because when you spread false or misleading information it calls into doubt everything else you are saying. It makes you sound less reasonable when you call for sanctions against the police department, which are absolutely warranted. It's important to have the facts straight before you start spreading shit.

Obviously, as I noted in the post, that story is basically just an outlet parroting the law enforcement line. I even added a "blah blah blah" to suggest how little I respected that line. And the actions of the police aren't warranted regardless. I'd fucking hope I don't need to say that here. But when we start saying "the police used pepper spray to break up a permitted march" and it turns out the "marching" part potentially wasn't permitted, now we have a credibility problem. I don't like spreading untrue information, so when I see something here that is potentially untrue I'll make a note of it. That is all I was doing. Does my post history over the last year here scream "cop apologist" to you?

EDIT: I mean the "fuck the police" at the end is always implied, though I suppose I could make it my sig.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Trump 48-41 from Selzer. So that sucks.

• Options

Where?

• Options

Where?

Selzer = Iowa, always.

• Options
    Selzer has Greenfield down 4 in Iowa, dammit. 46-42 so there's hope, but not good. Dunno what happened in that race to have people rally around Ernst. Might have been people thinking Biden is going to win? Because Americans are idiots and don't want anything to actually happen.

I assume Ersnt clipped the balls off a few pigs on stage and rallied her support.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

I mean, context is important, but rom what I can tell from the various reports coming in, things were in the right for law enforcement up to when they actually showed up and did anything. The demonstrators violated the terms of their permit and blocked access to a polling location to multiple individuals, which they were expressly forbidden to do in their permit.

Rather than talking with the demonstrators, the cops then decided to pepper spray dozens of people, do malicious damage of private property, and willfully and wantonly attack and assault minors. The problem is, once again, with the police here. Their actions are disproportionate to the problem provided by the event. Farmers Markets regularly violate their permits in the same way and usually a casual conversation or a few tickets will solve it.

Fuck the police here.

Yeah exactly. They violated the permit and the crowd blocked the street for 8 whole minutes... so like, talk to them and give them a fine and a warning? That would be the appropriate response, rather than turning to violence as their first response. But you know, fascists gotta have their violence. ACAB.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Effectively, we just have to hope that Selzer didn't modify their methodology to model the turnout which appears to be happening, and just keep on doing what we've been doing.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

There's also this from Iowa:

Nate Cohn is an election writer for the NYT's Upshot

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Dead people's votes have never counted.

i mean that's supposed to be the case if you're dead before you cast your vote

If your dead before "you" cast your vote, then it's not "your" vote. There's still potential for you to change your mind up to the point where you actually cast your ballot (whether by mailing it, turning it into a drop box or voting in a booth) so at best it's someone trying to falsify a vote to what they think you'd want, and at worse it's someone uses your vote to vote fradulently.

Once you've done all that though, then you've voted and the mail is in the possession of government agencies. Even if you die afterwards, you were alive when you cast your 100% legitimate ballot and it should be counted as such.

But early voting is a convenience, something offered to people to make their lives easier if they can't make it to a polling place.

Given that we have examples from the past several elections where there are precincts that it's literally impossible for everyone voting in person on election day to vote before polls close, this is flatly untrue. It's a necessity until our voting infrastructure is unfucked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Fuck the police here.

Yeah exactly. They violated the permit and the crowd blocked the street for 8 whole minutes... so like, talk to them and give them a fine and a warning? That would be the appropriate response, rather than turning to violence as their first response. But you know, fascists gotta have their violence. ACAB.

Or just do a Google search and realize that the Alamance County sheriff has been power tripping and vocally racist since the protestors tore down the statue in Durham in 2017.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I have no fucking clue how we got those numbers in Iowa. It’s baffling and seems like a real wild swing. Seltzer is legit though, I hope she polled it wrong somehow.

This discussion has been closed.