Options

Butt Drugs [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    Eddy wrote: »
    It's fucked up that we use the same orifice for swallowing and breathing but NOT the same orifice for peeing and pooping

well

most of the time

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    my work does the covid tests so they know the result before I do.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    japan wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    You know, they never made me prove I tested negative for covid before going back to work

that's sort of alarming, considering other people are taking things a lot less seriously than me

I mean, HIPAA and all that but still

actually,

but still, what exactly?

because yeah, HIPAA, probably impossible to ask legally so... yeah. That's that.

Oh it's just concerning because I can guarantee there are people who have a cold, get tested, go "Eh, I feel fine, I don't want to sit at home, this isn't a big deal" and then go to work anyway and lie about their test.

I dunno how to fix that other than making some special HIPAA exception but that seems extreme too

Does HIPAA actually prevent this?

Making it illegal for you to disclose information about your own health would be an odd policy choice

the illegal part is the asking

So in the US, if you have some kind of long term illness leading to an absence, you would just self certify that you're fit to return to work?

Your doctor would certify something to that affect.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I can always count on Butt Drugs.
    You know, they never made me prove I tested negative for covid before going back to work

that's sort of alarming, considering other people are taking things a lot less seriously than me

actually,

but still, what exactly?

because yeah, HIPAA, probably impossible to ask legally so... yeah. That's that.

Oh it's just concerning because I can guarantee there are people who have a cold, get tested, go "Eh, I feel fine, I don't want to sit at home, this isn't a big deal" and then go to work anyway and lie about their test.

I dunno how to fix that other than making some special HIPAA exception but that seems extreme too

Making it illegal for you to disclose information about your own health would be an odd policy choice

So in the US, if you have some kind of long term illness leading to an absence, you would just self certify that you're fit to return to work?

@japan

The typical practice is for the employer to require the employee to obtain a letter from a physician saying that they are fit to return to work.

The letter does not need to specify what the medical condition was.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

In the US, most often you're still at work despite the long term illness

But otherwise yes, or you'd get a doctor's note.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    I used the wrong a/effect didn't I

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    To make this slightly less complicated, if I'd taken FMLA for myself, I would have needed to first provide proof in the form of a doctor's certification of my illness/injury that prevented me from working, and then when I returned, I would also have needed to provide a similar doctor's certification that I was fit to return to work. All of this is legal within HIPAA.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I used the wrong a/effect didn't I

yeah but we understood what you meant irregardless

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.

actually,

but still, what exactly?

normally long term stuff would require a doctor's note explaining why you needed to be out for a period of time, but you don't need a doctor's note to return to work

like our basic philosophy is "prove you can't come to work" never "prove it's okay to come to work"

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

actually,

but still, what exactly?

japan

The typical practice is for the employer to require the employee to obtain a letter from a physician saying that they are fit to return to work.

And the doctor will probably refuse to write "has recovered from Dicktoobigitis and now only has a regular, huge penis, allowing them to work normally"

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I blame Chanus.

actually,

but still, what exactly?

normally long term stuff would require a doctor's note explaining why you needed to be out for a period of time, but you don't need a doctor's note to return to work

like our basic philosophy is "prove you can't come to work" never "prove it's okay to come to work"

unless its like addiction related
    then its definitely yeah prove you're not gonna steal all our stuff and snort a line off your desk while heating up a spoon on a space heater

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    while it was of course recorded for all intents and purposes nobody (else) knows that I got tested or that my test was negative

or rather, knows for certain. Infection tracking called me up (hilariously late) and I went like not to interrupt but let me guess you're going to ask me to quarantine for ten days after the contact and then get tested and I've uh, already done that, test came back yesterday it was negative

and she went okay then have a nice day

she doesn't have any way to check that I'm telling the truth, of course - but also it doesn't matter because if I wasn't, what is she going to do? Reassign traffic wardens to my house to ensure I don't break quarantine?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

actually,

but still, what exactly?

japan

And the doctor will probably refuse to write "has recovered from Dicktoobigitis and now only has a regular, huge penis, allowing them to work normally"

I told you this in confidence. I don't appreciate you broadcasting my medical history to all of chat.

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    FMLA might be different, i've never had to do that

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    FMLA is a huge pain in the ass and involves way way way too much paperwork

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I blame Chanus.
    Six wrote: »
    I found this delightful

https://youtu.be/zayUqREhFVg
    https://youtu.be/k1YCl-RP1jY

Slightly off-topic, but I loved playing Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings in Bb minor. It's a fantastic and powerful piece.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

This depends on how you're taking your leave. If it's through FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act), and it's for yourself, you very likely will have to provide certification that you're fit to return to work.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I blame Chanus.
    i don't know that a COVID diagnosis would be long term enough to invoke FMLA unless there were other complications

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Long pig:

- Isn't factory-farmed
    - Can hypothetically be slaughtered with the consent of the animal
    - If it isn't being raised explicitly as livestock (ie, we're not breeding them and increasing their numbers to satisfy a market for long pig), slaughtering and eating them actually reduces our ecological footprint

Long pig is potentially a highly ethical and sustainable food

some slight adjustment to the definitions of consent are needed but sure

that's fine. consent is a social construct anyway.

do you not disagree that you don't think that you should be eaten?

er...no?

okay boys that's consent stuff him in the sausage machine

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I blame Chanus.
    i think we're under a frost advisory tonight.
    weather changes so fast
    and in a week we might get another hurricane

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Parking in the Rear.

actually,

but still, what exactly?

HIPAA doesn't protect you against that. They are allowed to ask, and you are allowed to not answer, or allowed to answer, they can also require you're doctor's note to certify you are not contagious. It's all fine under HR policy. However HR now has to safeguard that data and they can't release it to other people within the company, it's an annoying thing. The reason companies are sketchy to ask health questions is more in the realm of the ADA. Because if they ask you about a health issue, and another health issue enters the field, their options become limited.

IE if you get something that someone had covid (paper trail) and then was terminated a week later. That employee has the ability to sue, and they can show they said they had covid and were terminated over it. And the employer has to be able to prove that wasn't the case, because the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence, which is a low standard (the 51% chance standard).

zepherin on
  • Options

actually,

but still, what exactly?

what, you can't?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

actually,

but still, what exactly?

what, you can't?

Not generally, for absences exceeding seven days

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    fish aren't even animals

psh

Fish aren't even fish

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uhwcEvMJz1Y

• Options
    that's just cutting out the rather unnecessary middle man of a doctor asking you "do you feel okay to work" and writing a note saying "he says he's good"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Also, reviewing the documentation I submitted, the doctor absolutely put PHI in the certification document. The form says "Explain the care needed by the patient, and why such care is medically necessary" and then, separately, "Describe the medical facts related to the condition for which the patient needs care. Such medical facts may include symptoms, diagnosis, or any regimen of continuiing treatment such as the use of specialized equipment." and then some exceptions for CA and CT. So yeah, it goes beyond a doctor signing a thing that says "this person totally needs serious medical care".

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I blame Chanus.
    Elldren wrote: »
    Hot take: Krispy Kreme donuts are third rate

Krispy Kreme donuts fresh off the line are top tier

ten minutes later they are middling at best

it's kind of impressive

I don't especially like the sort of doughnuts that krispy kreme are, is the main issue with them. Cake doughnuts for life.

My grandma made the best cake doughnuts

Like just utterly fantastic

And then she never taught any of her kids how to make them or wrote down the recipe

That bitch

• Options
    Long pig:

- Isn't factory-farmed
    - Can hypothetically be slaughtered with the consent of the animal
    - If it isn't being raised explicitly as livestock (ie, we're not breeding them and increasing their numbers to satisfy a market for long pig), slaughtering and eating them actually reduces our ecological footprint

Long pig is potentially a highly ethical and sustainable food

some slight adjustment to the definitions of consent are needed but sure

that's fine. consent is a social construct anyway.

do you not disagree that you don't think that you should be eaten?

er...no?

okay boys that's consent stuff him in the sausage machine

If I were going to die anyway, I'd consent to being eaten. Especially if you only ate, say, muscle tissue, and agreed to donate anything you didn't eat to science

• Options
    i don't know that a COVID diagnosis would be long term enough to invoke FMLA unless there were other complications

Yeah, I have no idea how this applies to COVID stuff. Considering that giving time off for a COVID diagnosis appears to be a matter of company policy rather than a legal requirement, though, I imagine they can ask for PHI if they want, in 'exchange' for granting you this privilege.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Parking in the Rear.
    that's just cutting out the rather unnecessary middle man of a doctor asking you "do you feel okay to work" and writing a note saying "he says he's good"
    It depends on what you are asking for.

Some self certified things are administrative and are generally not much of a hassle. He says his back hurts so we have a standing add on put on his desk. Things that are cheap and not work the headache, or an option for people who do not need an ADA exemption, they are just doing some minimal documentation (Standing desks are sort of a thing where anyone who asks at most agencies get them).

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    A fit note here will also generally cover "this person is fit to work given the following limitations" which usually involves some elaboration on the relevant medical condition

Usually it goes to HR though, you're not typically handing it to your boss

japan on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Parking in the Rear.

it's kind of impressive

I don't especially like the sort of doughnuts that krispy kreme are, is the main issue with them. Cake doughnuts for life.

this is the only food take i disagree with that you've had

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    we have a special thing of leave exclusive for if you get diagnosed with covid or have to isolate because of contract tracing.
    that way you dont have to use your normal leave

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I blame Chanus.

These videos will never not be funny to me.

Someone is going to die at some point for sure though.

(I'll probably still laugh)

• Options
    Parking in the Rear.
    A fit note here will also generally cover "this person is fit to work given the following limitations" which usually involves some elaboration on the relevant medical condition

Usually it goes to HR though, you're not typically handing it to your boss
    A list of the restrictions will go to your boss, and depending on the company your boss will be cool, or give you the shittiest admin work to do.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I recommend Butt Drugs for everybody.
    Arch wrote: »

it's kind of impressive

this is the only food take i disagree with that you've had

If I may present a brief visual aid, you may disagree still but I want to be sure I am fully understood.

d6ktxlpewnv4.jpg

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how COVID leave would work for me if I got it, assuming I wasn't hospitalized. I'm already remote and basically quarantining anyway.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    we have a special thing of leave exclusive for if you get diagnosed with covid or have to isolate because of contract tracing.
    that way you dont have to use your normal leave

Yeah, we get two weeks of extra sick leave to be used for COVID related things.

Was a nice comfort since I'm gonna be using all my family sick leave for the baby.

• Options
    I blame Chanus.
    dk por que no los dos

also our last hospital numbers for covid are the highest since August

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.