As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I see.

I had friends who lived in Basingstoke. As we were all big stoners we called it Blazingstoke it was very clever and funny.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    BASINGSTOKE
    ACTION, INDIE, ADVENTURE
    Loading...?

There is a game called Basingstoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX57xJevybY
    Basingstoke is a tense rogue-like that mixes stealth and arcade action. Explore the smouldering ruins of Basingstoke, a world of reanimated undead and ferocious alien monsters. Scavenge as you go, crafting equipment to help you in your mission: escape Basingstoke!

That trailer sold me on it, so I nabbed this key. Thanks captaink!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tSh455h.png

FREE NOW
    MudRunner
    Free Now - Dec 03 at 11:00 AM

COMING SOON
    Cave Story+
    Free Dec 03 - Dec 10

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

About this: as far as I'm aware Epic still pays the publishers for every free game license they give out.
    Cave story plus is published by Nicalis, a publisher which has cheated the original developer of cave story out of ownership of their IP, along with taking advantage of many other indie devs, so I would strongly recommend not redeeming cave story plus. The original version of cave story is still offered as freeware by the author. You can download it legally along with language patches from the links on this site: https://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

Not getting botp'd

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Also, if you want to support the developer of Cave Story, you can buy his other game Kero Blaster.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kero blaster, a game about being taken advantage of by a boss who speaks a language you don't understand

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I went back and replayed part 1 and then part 2 of The Fall and yeah, really fantastic story about AI and what it means to create a consciousness where their very thought processes are shackled to make them subservient

Does really interesting things with what you are and aren't allowed to do and how your character is allowed to make choices

Part 2 also seems to start off in a kinda standard way, but eventually the puzzle mechanics start getting really cool. Does a lot with ideas and concepts being actual items that you can use to interact with objects. You can be stuck in a room until you are able to slowly develop the ight idea and worldview that allows you to move on

Part 2 ended in a really satisfying way, but also had a "to be concluded" and i really hope i do get to see whatever comes next

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Until I saw this post, I had literally forgotten the EGS existed.

And I have bought games on it!

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I see.

I had friends who lived in Basingstoke. As we were all big stoners we called it Blazingstoke it was very clever and funny.

Literally everyone from Basingstoke did this joke

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah I claim the EGS freebies some of the time but then I usually just wait till theyre in a humble bundle anyway and play them on steam. Aint even downloaded their client.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I went back and replayed part 1 and then part 2 of The Fall and yeah, really fantastic story about AI and what it means to create a consciousness where their very thought processes are shackled to make them subservient

Does really interesting things with what you are and aren't allowed to do and how your character is allowed to make choices

Part 2 also seems to start off in a kinda standard way, but eventually the puzzle mechanics start getting really cool. Does a lot with ideas and concepts being actual items that you can use to interact with objects. You can be stuck in a room until you are able to slowly develop the ight idea and worldview that allows you to move on

Part 2 ended in a really satisfying way, but also had a "to be concluded" and i really hope i do get to see whatever comes next

When I finished Part 1 I didn't know it was a Part 1 so I was a little annoyed because it was great and I wanted to see the full story. Then Part 2 came out and was also great. So i'm confident that there'll be a Part 3 but also my expectations being raised makes me more anxious there won't be.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://imgur.com/a/HopqHCw

so star citizen had a free weekend

and you guys know I love a good star citizen goof

but I decided to give it an honest go and see what the game was like

the game took a while to install, but the launcher/updater thing had some neat music

after a while I finally got into the game

and I spent a bunch of time designing my character with a really rather nifty looking character generator

jQvz7Qph.jpg

you kinda mix preset faces together and blend facial elements of them to make your final face

for some reason, after spend a bunch of time making a face that looked a bit like me, the game then just replaced my custom face with a generic default model when I actually started playing

anyway then I got into the game

RWKZrQah.jpg

you start the game lying in bed for some reason, the game doesn't really give you any explanation for what you're doing or who you are

Wuu984lh.jpg

it does flash a fuckload of tutorial tips on the screen with no context for what you're doing whatsoever

eventually after a while it did flash a tutorial saying "press F to get up"

I tried that and it didn't actually do anything

I tried pressing other buttons and none of them did anything, except for escape to bring up the menu

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3xbk18/how_do_i_stop_sleeping/

apparently this is a known bug in the game, where your character is just stuck in bed

I restarted the game and it crashed

but after a third restart I was able to get out of bed!

4YjqHtxh.jpg

the game spawns you in... an apartment complex of some sort. once I left my room I couldn't figure out how to get back into it. there are 6 stories to the building accessible via elevator, but all are just the same hallway and every apartment is locked

i eventually left the building and wandered into the Area18 starting location

the game doesn't really give you any indication for what you're supposed to be doing or why, so I made up a goal for myself to take on some simple missions to see what the flying was like

MiMlSGbh.jpg

after pressing a bunch of buttons I finally found that missions are accessible via this wrist top computer thing

I took on a basic one about delivering a package and it put a little marker on my hud for where to pick up my item

EZDsuiLh.jpg

it did not, however, give me any indication how to get to my ship

so I wandered around the starport thing trying to figure out where it was parked

this is actually what I spent the majority of my time in star citizen doing

stRnnE3h.jpg

as I wandered around i started to realize that the NPC situation in Star Citizen is not... great

star ports are pretty empty, it's not so much crowds of NPCs, but instead one or two NPCs in most areas and they just kind of sit there

wX0Mfidh.jpg

or to be more accurate, stand there

stRnnE3h.jpg

and I guess there should be more NPCs wandering around, but they're generally all stuck inside each other

QEByh2sh.jpg

the further I went into the station, the more it seemed to happen

lVBxw0yh.jpg

eventually, after maybe twenty minutes of wandering around looking for where my ship was parked, I eventually wandered inside a shop

srgvI68h.jpg

everyone inside the shop was completely still, it was very strange

bjUQgGqh.jpg

you could select clothing off the rack and try them on, but even though the UI says that you can rotate to see how a jacket or hat looks on you, that apparently isn't working right now, so you can only see it from the back

mgIpxpzh.jpg

these fuckers just insult you if you try to talk to them, but at least the single lines of dialog they have is more than you can get out of anybody else

with my shopping trip in shambles, I decided to wander over to the hot dog stand instead

FlVUmfkh.jpg
    at least buying a hotdog put a hotdog in my hand

xSfI30Nh.jpg
    however attempting to eat the hotdog also did not work
    the game does have a hunger and thirst meter, but they also didn't seem to work, so I guess the experience was kind of moot

SzRDsu6h.jpg
    aside from not being able to eat the hotdog, I couldn't figure out how to put the hotdog down either, so I just carried it around for a while

muzmAgph.jpg
    AZK3MPSh.jpg
    after another 10 minutes of wandering around, I ran into this cool looking lady in a spooky hallway

tDkF8zwh.jpg
    attempting to ask her for a job just had her say "safe travels" without acknowledging your request, but she did stand up on her chair to say it, so I guess that's an interaction

I eventually just gave up on trying to find where ship was parked and looked it up on reddit

apparently the area I was in wasn't even close to where my ship was parked, and I needed to take the space-bus to get there

the location of the space-bus terminal was also not marked on the map or anywhere else on the UI, but there were signs for it when you got close enough

vgs5lpJh.jpg

after waiting for a bit, eventually a space bus did pop by!

wDFx8oIh.jpg

and i hopped on

9Ny4PYxh.jpg

and took a little trip through the city and eventually got to the hangar/spaceport area, it was kind of like the introduction to bioshock in the bathysphere

yHmsQDvh.jpg

this area's NPCs seemed to be in a worse state than the previous area

CH04M6ah.jpg
    X0LCejZh.jpg
    8klTw6Ah.jpg

just a lot of people... standing on seats

WBCnce3h.jpg

star citizen tries to make areas that seem like they're somewhat realistic by having signs point to places like "customs" or "domestic flights", and you can follow those signs down hallways that lead to locked doors
    it's just a lot of dead ends everywhere and sections of building that go nowhere

Zwx7aLGh.jpg

but eventually I was able to find the actual hangar terminal,and use the screen to have my ship delivered there!

g0PvlGxh.jpg

one of the updates mentioned an overhaul to the elevator UI and... yeah. maybe that would be a good update

50wUpJjh.jpg
    hy7kBCRh.jpg
    anyway the NPCS in the hangar were in a really bad state, we had now reached t-pose levels of jank

but at least I had my ship!

qi9r0eFh.jpg
    look at this beautiful hunk of shit

zZOo1a2h.jpg
    the game prompted me to open my vehicle and get in

cNk2Hcxh.jpg
    I... could not figure out how to do that. do you get in from the front? the back? no UI element popped up to allow me to interact with my ship in any way at all

9MhAddfh.jpg
    and this guy isn't any help

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8ym8tr/cant_get_into_my_ships/
    as it turns out this was another long-standing bug, sometimes the game will spawn ships with no usable UI elements

after several minutes of trying to figure out some solution, including reloading, re-taking the space-bus, and then traveling back to the hangar with no success

I eventually decided to just rent another ship so I could fly SOMETHING

1PEV48jh.jpg
    this one looked sporty, but it was expensive! I used up all my remaining credits to rent it for a DAY

DjSdNJ4h.jpg
    but I'd just be really careful with it, I guess

ydbSd8dh.jpg
    anyway there's my new ship! it looks pretty cool!

2oPKdvqh.jpg
    and look! there's the UI prompt to actually get in the ship! Amazing!

7UaolNwh.jpg
    eW8i9CXh.jpg

the UI for the cockpit is kinda broken already, my hand is wrapped around an invisible joystick, and the startup button is nowhere to be seen

and after looking around for the ignition, or a push start button or something I instead mouse over a lever on the floor

at the base of my seat

in the cockpit

sJAYeLih.jpg

turns out it was the ejector switch

I get flung out of my ship and on to the ground

lJKKWyBh.jpg

can I get back into my ship? no

WmWcnUkh.jpg

can I continue to use my ship? also no

GJgYkwkh.jpg
    the canopy is blown off, rendering the ship inoperable, and I no longer have the money to rent a ship, and I seemingly can't fly the ship that I technically already 'own', and I can't take on or complete jobs without a ship of some sort, so I can't earn money

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/ega3z8/accidentally_ejected_how_to_get_the_seat_back/

so... i'm not sure if that means I now have to spend actual money to buy space credits to claim space insurance on my space ship

and uh... that's where I stopped playing for the night
    star citizen is going to be so good you guys

Brolo on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Seven years of development

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Holy shit

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I love

Brolo Star Citizen posts

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    But Brolo the game is ABSOLUTELY PLAYABLE and you can go and FLY SHIPS AROUND RIGHT NOW!!!! It's not a grift vehicle at all!

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

Colin Spacetwinks has a fantastic recommendation list for the Steam sale. A little bit of something for everyone in there, and I see some gems I was unaware of that I definitely will feel bad for not picking up because I'm broke and spent the little money I had for the sale on Vigil: The Longest Night and Age of Mythology.

(Vigil is really good though, Bloodstained meets Bloodborne with that eastern-euro jank I crave)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Starting the game laying in bed and then being stuck in your apartment building reminds me of journeyman project turbo. So star citizen has that going for it.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Starting the game laying in bed and then being stuck in your apartment building reminds me of journeyman project turbo. So star citizen has that going for it.

making you think of a different, better game? yeah!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fuckin JOURNEYMAN PROJECT holy shit I haven't thought about that in years

• Options
    Signs of the Sojourner is way too frustrating to accomplish what I think was intended with the game. It's a game about communicating with people, where the mechanics make it so as you communicate with people you get worse at communicating (forgetting cards), the more you communicate the worse your conversations go (fatigue), and you cannot tailor your approach based on the person you're communicating with (only one deck you're modifying).

They say communication failure is part of life/the game, but in the game there's nothing but failure it is nearly impossible to succeed and even if you do you'll have changed so much the people at home will hate you for only being able to talk in squares now.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fuckin JOURNEYMAN PROJECT holy shit I haven't thought about that in years

I like to remind people about it every so often

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Looking at the games I've played or plan to play this year and, uh... Doom Eternal might be my game of the year, somehow? I didn't think it would be, but none of the other big titles this year caught my fancy.

Also not being able to pick the same game for multiple fields kinda sucks.

Ori has the best soundtrack AND the best visuals, dammit!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    equip hot dog

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I started world next door yesterday after it was free on the EGS last week, and it's pretty fun so far!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Who the fuck thought Star Citizen needs as survival style hunger/thirst meter? Like think about it

An enemy interceptor explodes before you as you take your finger off the firing stud, the flames from their destruction washing over your cockpit. You glance down at your sensors, an enemy bomber squadron is moving to finish off your stricken mothership. Spinning your ship around, you fire your afterburner to cancel your momentum chasing after the squadron. They get agonisingly close as the beeping of the missile locks grows louder, the solid tone indicating three solid locks on the enemy squadron. You reach out to press the trigger to fire...

And you forgot to eat a hotdog, your last chunk of hunger vanishes and your character dies. Game over. What an anti-climax.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Signs of the Sojourner is way too frustrating to accomplish what I think was intended with the game. It's a game about communicating with people, where the mechanics make it so as you communicate with people you get worse at communicating (forgetting cards), the more you communicate the worse your conversations go (fatigue), and you cannot tailor your approach based on the person you're communicating with (only one deck you're modifying).

They say communication failure is part of life/the game, but in the game there's nothing but failure it is nearly impossible to succeed and even if you do you'll have changed so much the people at home will hate you for only being able to talk in squares now.

I think... maybe try playing it again?

Like I love the game, fuckin' ignore me on it if you want, but there is a rhythm to how you interact with people and the damage it does to you to try to interact with people in foreign lands and all that

I think with the first couple trips it tries to push you in ways that will encounter your faults, as a way to examine its systems, but it's only five trips long and it's a game that's designed to be replayed

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

I dunno, sounds like the game accomplished what it set out to do perfectly. You can never go home again.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    The main character is gone from home for a week and she forgets how to talk to her best friend. And then that one bad conversation makes him flip her off and storm away in a fury. It's ridiculously punishing and just not a fun game.

Aistan on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's fair, I've not played it, I just enjoy the concept (and I'm not good enough at these sort of games to even attempt to play it, I can barely barrel through the easy ones).

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I finished Eastshade tonight. What an extremely pleasant game. More helpful tasks I did:

-Clear the name of an apothecary wrongfully accused of using endangered plants in his concoctions
    -Visit an underground tea den with floating pillow boats that you take tea-fueled trips in.
    -Solve a locked-inn mystery of who stole the translation book
    -Make friends with someone from the hidden underground raccoon-people
    -Investigate the spooky happenings around an arctic expedition

At the end you leave the island, and end up back in your room wherever you're from. In the room are a bunch of letters and memorabilia from people you helped throughout the game. Very sweet.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The main character is gone from home for a week and she forgets how to talk to her best friend. And then that one bad conversation makes him flip her off and storm away in a fury. It's ridiculously punishing and just not a fun game.

I mean that first trip is supposed to be punishing in that way

It's not a game that you're going to win every conversation, and the first time you make it home it is supposed to be offputting the way that you can't talk to your best friend anymore

You've not broken anything forever, you can talk to them again, you just... you tried to talk to logically to an emotionally driven person, it happens

You learn ways around that with subsequent trips; it's a run based game

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

4YjqHtxh.jpg

I think the UNN Ramsey Recruitment Centre is around here somewhere.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

itch.io is giving devs 100% of revenue for Black Friday.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Elite progress: I can now leave a space station quickly enough to not get accused of trespassing. It involves me gritting my teeth and going "Eeeeeee" but I can do it. Figuring out a control system that lets me use yaw helps a lot.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Elite progress: I can now leave a space station quickly enough to not get accused of trespassing. It involves me gritting my teeth and going "Eeeeeee" but I can do it. Figuring out a control system that lets me use yaw helps a lot.

A really common binding for kbam is to set throttle up/down to mouse wheel scrolls.

Helps with fine speed adjustments when you’re getting out of a station.

• Options
    I'm playing controller. Well more like KBAC, because there are so many bloody functions that not using a keyboard at some point isn't really possible. But I now at least have all my immediate flight controls bound to the controller.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Vertical Hotdog is Nightmare Fuel.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Installed Mudrunners, got through the tutorial, fucked up backing up a trailer in the first challenge, uninstalled Mudrunners.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

4YjqHtxh.jpg

I think the UNN Ramsey Recruitment Centre is around here somewhere.

I feel like putting references to other, VASTLY SUPERIOR games about flying around in space in your own busted-arse game about flying around in space that fucking sucks out loud on multiple levels and in many special and unique ways is a bad idea?

Why remind people of games they would almost certainly much rather be playing inside your broken shitheap of an "experience"?

I'm not alone in this, right?

This discussion has been closed.