As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Per Aspera, Nine Witches, Haven, Phogs, Morbid & El Hijo out today!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't think cultural or religious takes have to be off limits simply because they're in a videogame.

I'm only marginally of Maori descent, so I can't say what would be acceptable and what wouldn't, but I think it would be possible for someone from that culture to make an experience about this that isn't facile or inaccurate.

Like we're just starting to see more games coming out of territories that traditionally haven't been visible in the western indie or AAA spaces, and it's interesting to experience things in titles like Raji and Kisima Inŋitchuŋa and the Wagadu Chronicles, that tell stories that otherwise wouldn't have been told at all.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Pendragon comes very close to working for me but it's just not quite there

The mechanics are just a bit too obtuse, and the mythology just a bit under formed

And it doesn't help that one of the best games of the year is also a run-based mythology game

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I don't think cultural or religious takes have to be off limits simply because they're in a videogame.

I'm only marginally of Maori descent, so I can't say what would be acceptable and what wouldn't, but I think it would be possible for someone from that culture to make an experience about this that isn't facile or inaccurate.

Like we're just starting to see more games coming out of territories that traditionally haven't been visible in the western indie or AAA spaces, and it's interesting to experience things in titles like Raji and Kisima Inŋitchuŋa and the Wagadu Chronicles, that tell stories that otherwise wouldn't have been told at all.

Yea the biggest thing is if a group making a game (or any media really) isn't of that region or society, is that they bring in people from that region or society to make sure it's not done half assed and appropriated.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I am now playing Divinity 2 on hardest difficulty ironman mode as a lonewolf summoner... and basically just imagine Yakity Sax music as I proceed to run away from the magisters throwing down incarnates and totems behind me as they chase me across the entire map. (I'm killing every magister on the island.)

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I am now playing Divinity 2 on hardest difficulty ironman mode as a lonewolf summoner... and basically just imagine Yakity Sax music as I proceed to run away from the magisters throwing down incarnates and totems behind me as they chase me across the entire map. (I'm killing every magister on the island.)

killing every magister is a just and good cause

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yea the biggest thing is if a group making a game (or any media really) isn't of that region or society, is that they bring in people from that region or society to make sure it's not done half assed and appropriated.

Cyberpunk, as a genre, has since its beginnings appropriated from other cultures for its cool factor - usually from Japan or the Middle East. William Gibson has moved away from it, but it is something that needs to be examined and updated since its not the 80s anymore

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    really just having cultural tattoos in themselves isn't that bad if they actually do a decent job of putting more aspects of those cultures into the game and actually kept them accurate

like it would be cool if in addition from picking dreadlocks for my character i could actually make a rastafarian character, with fleshed-out options for clothing/dialog/cultural observations and options to role play them that way in the game's fiction

but i don't imagine that's what we're going to get

I would have thought so too, but the Twitter thread goes into how Ta Moko tattoos are unique to each individual because they reference that person's family history and identity, so the act of copying one is offensive in itself.

The line between appreciation and appropriation is complicated (I say, as a white American of European descent), but I can see how that falls firmly on the wrong side of it.

Yea to do it right you would have to bring someone from that society in to consult on how to bring that culture in appropriately.

And then you find out years later that the "consultant" you brought in was a total fraud because nobody bothered to do proper background checks. (hi Voyager)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gibson's focus on Japan in his early cyberpunk work is largely a reflection of economic and technological fears about Japan overtaking the rest of the world that was very pronounced in the 80s

It should come as a surprise to nobody that the genre took that and, without any examination whatsoever, continued to use it in every offshoot going forward

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    yeah I'm trying to think of modern Gibson work and I think in like The Peripheral and such it's usually western powers producing the oppressive megacorps, isn't it?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Anything interesting Cyberpunk 2077 will have to say is going to have a difficult time overcoming the very real hurdle that is CDPR's evolution into a cynical supercorporate villain organization straight out of the game. Some real "The Worst Person You Know Made A Great Point" energy coming off of it already.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    well in later works he starts to recognize that corporations aren't the problem so much as they are frequently the way that the problem manifests

so, megacorps, governments, and organized crime all get their turns to be the villains; in the Peripheral it's mostly the latter two, and just as much Russian as Western

he also specifically calls out his own lack of knowledge about China in that book

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Anything interesting Cyberpunk 2077 will have to say is going to have a difficult time overcoming the very real hurdle that is CDPR's evolution into a cynical supercorporate villain organization straight out of the game. Some real "The Worst Person You Know Made A Great Point" energy coming off of it already.

That and the more it becomes literally illegal to keep up with the larger Western social currents due to Poland’s tilt toward fascism, the harder it is going to be for their cultural products to remain relevant.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    are there any cyberpunk predictions that are missing from our horrific present

like we have shitty ai
    megacorporations that wholly own basic public goods
    autonomous cars that mow people down
    polce operated drones the surveil your every move
    for profit prison industries installing RFID chips into the bodies of people who are incarcerated
    virtual idols that people worship like gods
    24/7 always connected devices that can instantly connect to the sum total of human knowledge that are only used for shitposting and memes

Brolo on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Sysadmins aren't universally recognized as streetwise badasses, but otherwise we've pretty much checked off the whole list.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    We can’t sign up for a new life in the off-world colonies yet.

• Options
    We can’t sign up for a new life in the off-world colonies yet.

ENQFBat.png
    TEXT:
    Step right up and prove why you should get a one-way ticket to Mars! Well, wait -- you might want to know a little more about the venture first.
    A Dutch company called Mars One began looking Monday for volunteer astronauts to fly to Mars. Departure for the Red Planet is scheduled for 2022, landing seven months later in 2023.
    The space travelers will return ... never. They will finish out their lives on Mars, representatives from the nonprofit said.
    "It's likely that there will be a crematorium," said CEO Bas Lansdorp. "It's up to the people on Mars to decide what to do with their dead."
    Still, the company said it has received more than 10,000 e-mails from interested would-be spacefarers.
    The one-way ticket makes the mission possible because it greatly reduces costs, and the technology for a return flight doesn't exist, according to Mars One's website. At a news conference, Lansdorp maintained that "no new inventions are needed to land humans on Mars."

https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/mars-one-way-ticket/index.html

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Didn't Mars One turn out to be a scam?

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Didn't Mars One turn out to be a scam?

oh a giant one, they never actually secured any hardware or aerospace contracts for getting people into orbit or even launching rovers, and have since gone bankrupt

the ex-ceo still maintains that he'll land people on mars in 2022 though, as long as people keep donating money

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    It being a scam somehow makes it more cyberpunk

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    something that amuses me about cyberpunk is that the genre assumed it would take a whole lot more industry to get there, the cities are absolutely massive with huge megabuildings, giant apartment complexes, and it turns out that all that industry would involve paying the poor too much so we just transition right into it with our existing suburbs

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    in that respect reality is slightly more in line with snow crash than like, shadowrun

• Options
    edited December 2020
    As was said previously in a prior thread, the notion that a cyberpunk dystopia would be cool and sleek and sexy instead of banal and bland and boring is in and of itself very cyberpunk.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Basically, They Live got it the most correct.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Took 26 jumps to meet an engineer in Elite to get there and find I can't do anything with her until I bring her some meta-alloys, whatever they are. Thanks game. I'm sure there was no way you could have included that in the original message so I knew it before I spent several hours getting here.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Megabuildings cyberpunk is more in line with China atm.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    yeah I think we would have more megabuildings if the geo-political global polarization of the cold war persisted, necessitating an upkeep and a bolstering of western industrial capacities

as it is, with western countries transitioning to service based economies and the widening divide between the capital owning classes and the working poor, mega buildings simply aren't required

right now

I can totally see facebook or amazon building their own Peach Trees esque arcology in the next 20-30 years, since those companies are some of the few intersections of manpower and capital where such an investment in infrastructure might still potentially make sense

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Took 26 jumps to meet an engineer in Elite to get there and find I can't do anything with her until I bring her some meta-alloys, whatever they are. Thanks game. I'm sure there was no way you could have included that in the original message so I knew it before I spent several hours getting here.

If you check the computer on your right in your cockpit there's an option for "engineers" once you get an email off one -- that'll tell you what they want before you go.

I just took a 40 jump trip to collect some Soontil Relics for an engineer that's another 30 jumps away

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    man this game sure sounds like work..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    That's not even taking the hops and skips into account

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    man this game sure sounds like work..
    It sounds like an MMO, minus any writing to make the pill go down.

• Options
    but the writing's the worst part of an mmo

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I dunno, I dug some of the writing in ESO, SWTOR and FF14.

[edit] Shit, how did I forget The Secret World, that game has some quality fucking writing.

Glal on
  • Options
    the NUMBER needs to go UP

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I dunno, I dug some of the writing in ESO, SWTOR and FF14.

[edit] Shit, how did I forget The Secret World, that game has some quality fucking writing.

All of these games have good Videogames Writing and middling gameplay. 'Tis a tragedy.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Cyberpunk devs / publisher DMCA'ing anything anyone has to say about the game sure is the weirdest viral marketing campaign.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The Cyberpunk devs / publisher DMCA'ing anything anyone has to say about the game sure is the weirdest viral marketing campaign.

We've talked about this 2077 times now haven't we? It's only until release, and to prevent spoilers.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i think that it's weird to use dmcas to prevent spoilers

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

We've talked about this 2077 times now haven't we? It's only until release, and to prevent spoilers.

People saying this when they're DMCAing legitimate criticism of including a specific tattoo in character creation is almost as dumb as people complaining that the lore of a 32 year old TTRPG constitutes spoilers.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i think that it's weird to use dmcas to prevent spoilers
    I'd say it's an abuse of an already abusive legislation.

This discussion has been closed.