Options

Trump's Lame Duck Extravaganza

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Trump and his cultists are already tweeting about Democrats stealing the election in the middle of the night with "magically appearing" votes again. Because they don't understand counting apparently. It's so fucking stupid.

The joy and relief I feel at the idea of the Republicans losing the senate is tempered by the reality that Dems will only have 2 years to actually do something to help this fucked up country before the Republicans probably take Congress back.

But still, Trump lost and his movement is destroying itself. The nightmare is almost over.

2022 is going to be interesting since the redistricting should be vastly less gerrymandered than 2012 was.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also, 2022 might wind up looking like 2018 more than 2020, if this special election is anything to go by.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The main wedge/split in the Republican party right now is Trump himself, and I'm not sure how relevant he is going to be after January 20th. Opposing everything the Dems do no matter what will remain a strong uniting force most of the time, now that they don't have to worry about forming policy nor defending a deranged criminal president.

There’s gonna be a lot of unknowns for the GOP in the next two years, Trump being a huge one.

Losing both GA and AZ in senate seats and electors is a giant fucking clarion horn that previously assumed safe states are up for grabs with the correct Dem outreach. With a large amount of GOP retiring and replaced with even further rightwing candidates, it’s not gonna be simple for their party to just walk back to what they were before Trump. Plus a lot of them want Trump’s supporters for themselves.

The biggest signal will be how relevant Trump is going into 2022. It’s just not easy cause Trump may have lost, but he also brought in more votes than any GOP candidate ever. I’m betting that a lot of the GOP will blame COVID on Trump losing and double down on Trumpism, but it remains to be seen if another candidate can tap into the GOP id like Trump is able.

Probably the best thing for the GOP and the nation is if Trump goes down hard, but that also requires them to put their necks on the line to help make it happen, which is a problem cause they’re feckless cowards terrified of being primaried or even targeted by rightwing violence.

Just too many unknowns going forward to know what’s gonna happen, and I’m not even counting all the purposeful sabotaging Trump has done because he thinks he can win 2024 if Biden inherits a severely broken nation both domestically and foreign policy wise to cripple his administration.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I will never, ever, *ever* forget this quote as long as I live.

I will tell my grandchildren about it and laugh at the memory.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Everybody you can go to bed, it seems like they are done counting for tonight

From 538 website Sarah Frostenson
    Well, even though 98 percent of the expected vote is in, according to ABC News, we’re going to call it a night and check back in early tomorrow. Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger has said that not all of the vote will be counted this evening. He told CNN earlier that he expects that we’ll have a “better idea” of where things stand by noon tomorrow.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Hey, it's at least two years that we don't have to deal with the shitbird that is Mitch McConnell controlling the Senate. I actually have to wonder if he is going to get run out of leadership because republican logic dictates that someone has to pay for a loss and at least one of those someone's has to be from the party. Even if you believe the other side cheated, it's still the fault of the leader for not doing a better job at cheating. So who knows, this outcome might ensure Mitch never gets to be Senate Majority Leader again, even if 2022 doesn't go well for democrats.

Seriously, give DC and PR statehood ASAP and expand the house or representatives democrats.

Also hope people in the DC area stay safe because what was already going to be a shit show, is probably going to be worse because these fuckers can grasp that they don't always win.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    After being proven wrong about GA in the general and now this, I have never been prouder of my home state. Georgia on my mind, indeed.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    After being proven wrong about GA in the general and now this, I have never been prouder of my home state. Georgia on my mind, indeed.

GA will be off my stuck-up-Californian snarklist after this.

Texas, on the other hand...

Every state has wonderful people in it, of course, but whee, majority rule.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Cool I hope the dems can deliver now

If they don't nuke the filibuster, don't get grumpy when they don't pass many new laws. Republicans will block everything they can, you know it. Stay focused on what they can do with 50+1 votes.

Obviously, if they don't nuke the filibuster, we all should be very grumpy at Manchin et al specifically, though. Dumb dumbs.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also, 2022 might wind up looking like 2018 more than 2020, if this special election is anything to go by.

I think it'll really depend if the Dems actually do anything. If they just repeatedly punch themselves in the crotch legislatively then we could easily see a resurgence of apathy.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Google says Perdue leads in Georgia. Why so confident that Ossoff has won?

Edit: Oh wait have they not counted the Atlanta area yet?

RT800 on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Because he's leading by something like a thousand votes but 130,000 votes from mostly Atlanta and Savannah haven't been counted yet.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »
    mRahmani wrote: »
    I'm not saying the curse is broken

but

2020 ended 6 days ago

2021 making some moves out of the gate, I like what I see.

One of my friends said that 2020 didn't end. We killed it. And on January 20th, we'll bury it.

As someone who has gotten really into Control (err, the video game by that name, that is), it is very fitting to me that humanity may just have to take a horrifying year out back and end it.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »

Because he's leading by something like a thousand votes but 130,000 votes from mostly Atlanta and Savannah haven't been counted yet.

From NYT, this is why:

WmIOngK.png

Ossoff and Purdue are essentially tied at the moment, but like 90% of the remaining vote is from places where Ossoff has been winning by 20+ points.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    This is like (insert georgia sports reference) back in (year)!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Hot damn

Good work, Georgia

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    NBC News has called it for Warnock.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Also, the same Dekalb drop that put Warnock out of reach (now 1% ahead) moves Ossoff ahead of Perdue by 3,560.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I need to get my memes ready for inevitable conspiracy theory laden outpouring of rage, hate, and bile from my in laws in the morning.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Oh boy just saw Ossof take the lead back. This is good.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If the filibuster doesn't get nuked then at least make the Republicans actually filibuster instead of declaring they're gonna then continuing to sit on their asses. They want to block legislation, they get to stand up there and talk, because that's what the filibuster actually is.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Is the news really good

Oh my god

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And now I can sleep.

In preparation for what is likely going to be a very interesting day.

Ugh.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    Cool I hope the dems can deliver now

If they don't nuke the filibuster, don't get grumpy when they don't pass many new laws. Republicans will block everything they can, you know it. Stay focused on what they can do with 50+1 votes.

Obviously, if they don't nuke the filibuster, we all should be very grumpy at Manchin et al specifically, though. Dumb dumbs.

tbh the dems should hope they deliver, if they want 2022 to be happy fun times

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So as an outsider - What does this actually mean for the US political situation? My impression/understanding is that if this goes through, the Dems have the presidency, house, and senate (albeit all by narrow margins). This gives them a fair amount of power AND gets rid of Mitch, yes?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to fear the fact this could cause Mitch and the Gop to back trumps coup now to maintain the VP and therefore the senate?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    So as an outsider - What does this actually mean for the US political situation? My impression/understanding is that if this goes through, the Dems have the presidency, house, and senate (albeit all by narrow margins). This gives them a fair amount of power AND gets rid of Mitch, yes?

Yes though it doesn’t out right kick Mitch in to orbit, he’ll still be a member of the senate, but he won’t be a leader and able to pull his never allowing things to come up for a vote nonsense.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Yes

It also means Stacey Abrams is a genius

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If nothing else, this gives us the cabinet Biden wants and two years of sane judicial appointments, including a SCOTUS appointment, most likely.

And even if we can't push through m4a, we can safeguard and expand the ACA, and kill the attacks on it.

This is very good. We're not getting a stacked SCOTUS and two new states and a Green New Deal, but it's good.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Yes.

It means Biden can appoint whoever he wants (effectively), and can make judicial appointments. It also means more avenues for investigations, etc.

The big thing right now is the filibuster. McConnell already nuked it for appointments, but for normal legislature they've still got it for everything but the budget bill, which is passed via reconciliation. In order to get past that, they need to peel off 10 R, or nuke the filibuster altogether. Which is improbable, but possible if Rs completely stonewall everything.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Pretty much.

The GOP can still filibuster, but McConnell will no longer be able to just arbitrarily kill legislation to protect his caucus. US bills and laws will still be difficult to pass, but there’s gonna be a record of who blocks popular legislation now. Not the most ideal solution, but vastly better than the alternative.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

Yes though it doesn’t out right kick Mitch in to orbit, he’ll still be a member of the senate, but he won’t be a leader and able to pull his never allowing things to come up for a vote nonsense.

I'm also thinking it means that no senators can/should be pulled for cabinet positions from the dem side, since they wouldn't be able to pass anything while the replacement is being seated.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wait the Dems are actually going to win both runoffs? Did I somehow get transported out of the evil mirror dimension into the good dimension without noticing?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    CNN calling the first race for Warnock, Loeffler's done. No word on Ossoff as of yet, I imagine the margin's still too close.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Wait the Dems are actually going to win both runoffs? Did I somehow get transported out of the evil mirror dimension into the good dimension without noticing?

I think someone had a single genie wish left.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

Short speech starts about 3 minutes in.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Loeffler might not be as big a detestable piece of shit as Mitch, but give her time.

Her ousting is sweet ambrosia by itself.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Cleta Mitchell, one of the lawyers who assisted Trump in his GA call, has been pressured into leaving by her law firm.

Did she learn any lessons? Hell no, it was a leftist conspiracy, is what it was!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/05/politics/cleta-mitchell-resigns-trump-georgia/index.html
    Cleta Mitchell, a lawyer who assisted President Donald Trump on the January 2 call when Trump pressured Georgia officials to "find" him votes, has resigned from her law firm.
    National law firm Foley & Lardner previously said it was "concerned" with Mitchell's involvement in Trump's call with Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, and said the firm wasn't engaged in any legal work challenging the election results. Tuesday, it announced Mitchell was no longer with the firm.
    "Cleta Mitchell has informed firm management of her decision to resign from Foley & Lardner effective immediately. Ms. Mitchell concluded that her departure was in the firm's best interests, as well as in her own personal best interests," firm spokesman Dan Farrell said in a statement Tuesday. "We thank her for her contributions to the firm and wish her well."
    Mitchell told her friends and clients on Tuesday in a personal email that she had left her law firm after almost two decades, blaming "a massive pressure campaign in the last several days mounted by leftist groups" against her, the firm and her clients stemming from her affiliation with Trump and his post-election litigation and efforts in Georgia.
    "With the ever more brazen attacks on conservatives and, most especially, anyone who supports and wants to help President Trump, I realize that a large national law firm is no longer the right platform for me or my law practice," she wrote. Mitchell confirmed her email to CNN but declined to comment further.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.