As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need a good motherboard for overclocking.

harvestharvest By birthright,a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
Please don't recommend a Gigabyte DS3L or DS3R. I've got a DS3L and it's a piece of shit. Google 'DS3L overclock problem' and I've got every one of the things people complain about.

Let me tell you about my hardware.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6300 (1.86ghz, it can handle at least 3.22)
Memory: 2x 1gb Crucial DDR2 1066
Video: PCIe EVGA Geforce 7900 GS
Sound: Creative X-Fi Professional

See, it's not like I have any weird needs. What I want is a board that I can jack the FSB up on to at least 460 to overclock this mother. That is the number one requirement. It has to overclock well and it has to be easy to do. I like the feature set of the P35 boards but I'm not adamant about which chipset I use. Preferably the suggested board will cost ~$140 or less.

B6yM5w2.gif
harvest on

• Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I can tell what not to get. Asus P5K-E, that board's bios is a piece of shit. You must use 0602/0603 to get any overclocking done. It has voltage drooping and a bad memory compatibility. I tried Corsair and Crucial in the board and both were incompatible.

I have a MSI P6N Diamond and it's a awesome board. However not good for overclocking and to expensive.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sad to hear, that's one of the boards I was looking at.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ive heard good things about the MSI P35 Neo2, it comes with rather large heat pipes on the chipsets. Toms hardware used one of them in an overclock challenge recently.

here is the mid/low range board of that family: MSI P35 Neo2-FR
    and i think this is the upper end of MSI: MSI P35 Platinum

if you're looking for a heatsink/fan for over clocking this guy is a beast: ZALMAN 9500A
    and his bigger brother
    I own the ZALMAN CNPS8700 and it very solid.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    P35-DS3P

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    XFX NFORCE 680I. You can overclock your Video Card, Processor, and I believe your memory. I got mine in September for $219. Nice board, I like it.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    P35-DS3P

Care to elaborate?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The best OC boards are intel P35 or x38 based.

Do not get nforce 680i or any nforce board unless you plan to use SLI. They have a high failure rate and are prone to cooking your RAM.

I'd go with an abit IP35-PRO

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think I will get This One unless I can scrounge up some more money for the Abit p35 board.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited January 2008
    That looks like a great board. Tell me how you like it when you get it if you don't mind, I'm actually looking for another board.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    DAMN that northbridge has more heatsink than a lot of processors did in the 90's.

Do they really run that hot or was it just designed to be massively overclocked against a locked multiplier?

I'm so happy my multiplier is unlocked. This $24 mobo can only take a few extra mhz before it freaks out.
    newcpu.png
    Stock is 200 x 13 = 2.6Ghz

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    waterloggedwaterlogged Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A lot of the "uber heat pipes" are simply for show and marketing. Some of the top end OC boards use minimal ones and no heat pipes.

Intel chipsets, other then x48 do not run crazy hot, nvidia based ones do. Also there is little to be gained by linking them to the PWM area which runs hotter then the chipset.

Also, while and unlocked MP does help with MB temps due to NB stress, it does not remove them. Locked or unlocked if you fill all for memory slots you're going to end up with a lower OC and higher temps.

If you're just buying a board I'd take a look at these guys http://www.motherboardpro.com/ I've bought from them before and they often have really hard to find stuff, and stock items before the egg gets them, good prices as well, also try NICX US, again good prices.

waterlogged on
    Democrat that will switch parties and turn red if Clinton is nominated.:P[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]