Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Woot, ANet heard my salt (or y'know are just responding to an issue so excessively exploitable that the exploit became meta)

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/117145/game-update-notes-october-27-2020
    The existence of consumables that equip players with high control skills creates an unintended play pattern involving combat with the inventory panel open. It's our goal that encounters with substantial defiance bars be addressed by build changes rather than reliance on consumables, and for this reason we are disabling several items in dungeon and fractal content. The following consumable items are no longer usable in dungeons or fractals:
    • Metal Rod
    • Power Matrix
    • Rock
    • Wooden Plank
    • Sentinel Rifle
    • Termite Shovel

On one hand qq, fewer consumables in fractals :(

On the other hand thank goodness, having all that hard CC available without any spec planning was a bit ridiculous. Maybe people will actually have to rethink facerolling CC skills in their rotations :biggrin:

• Options
    Oh also since top of the page

ROAD MAP UPDATE

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/
    November 2020

Chapter 1: Truce—November 17

December 2020

Wintersday

January 2021

Chapter 2: Power

February 2021

Lunar New Year

March 2021

Chapter 3: Balance

April 2021

Super Adventure Festival

May 2021

Chapter 4: Judgment

And also:
    An Earth-Shattering Story Finale

Deary me, is it Primordus time? :3

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "The Icebrood Saga‘s conclusion will be felt throughout Tyria—even across the seas." Steve (or whatever the presumably Canthan Elder Dragon is going to be called)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Yeesh, I feel like that roadmap might generate some rage somewhere on the internet. =0

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Steve is the Labyrinth horror, need to name it
    Cteve, because it's a "C" dragon.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    Steve is the Labyrinth horror, need to name it
    Cteve, because it's a "C" dragon.

Nope.
    It's Selbbub, because it's backwards for Bubbles. Never forget your lore.

(5:32 if the link doesn't set you there)

https://youtu.be/EJJA_veYQ5s?t=336

EDIT: Yes it's a leviathan but that's where the name came from >:V

naengwen on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    A little unsettled about this "champions" rebranding. Feels like they need to reset expectations versus normal living story episodes... why? Are we not getting new maps? Too busy building Cantha now? (Not that I'd complain about more Cantha...)

• Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    There was a reference to stories covering multiple maps, maybe we're finally going back to old ones? Some of the old ones are dead outside of meta chains

On fractals.. I'd FINALLY remembered to pick up termite shovels on the 2nd Character I run fracs with! though I agree with @naengwen that it was going too far. CMs could be interesting for a while, especially Sunqua CM, which is when I first started using CC consumables.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Leandriell wrote: »
    There was a reference to stories covering multiple maps, maybe we're finally going back to old ones? Some of the old ones are dead outside of meta chains

On fractals.. I'd FINALLY remembered to pick up termite shovels on the 2nd Character I run fracs with! though I agree with @naengwen that it was going too far. CMs could be interesting for a while, especially Sunqua CM, which is when I first started using CC consumables.

I actually think on Sunqua, the breakbar is a bit *too* big. I think anet is trying to kludge-force some kind of build diversity or to get in a new "role" by making the breakbars SUPER important, but the impression I keep getting is that it's actually very hard to break unless you load up your entire skill bar with CC, and it's hard to do whatever *other* role you're supposed to be doing if you do that. But maybe that's the point, force people to stop laser focusing on PURE DPS AT ALL TIMES

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I actually think on Sunqua, the breakbar is a bit *too* big. I think anet is trying to kludge-force some kind of build diversity or to get in a new "role" by making the breakbars SUPER important, but the impression I keep getting is that it's actually very hard to break unless you load up your entire skill bar with CC, and it's hard to do whatever *other* role you're supposed to be doing if you do that. But maybe that's the point, force people to stop laser focusing on PURE DPS AT ALL TIMES

Was talking a bit with other folks about it the other day. I think the big thing to note here is that this trick with disposable CC in group content has always been in the game. Since launch. We even used it as a strat for dealing with the Lovers in Ascalonian Catacombs in beta up till launch.

That Sunqua is the thing that finally convinced them to disable it outright, after nearly 10 years of compromise and finding a better ways to deal with it, signals a misstep. While yes, it isn't intentional and it sucks that this has risen to the point of being a spammed requirement in shitty LFG pugs, it is only a problem because of Sunqua CM's massive breakbar that even doubles the size of the largest raid breakbars. Up to now, this has been fine because for speedclear fractalers its been a shitpost or a trick for making solo clears work, while for other players it's a neat lateral thinking trick. Like, shoot! We're having trouble with CC and don't want to confront other players in the group about their builds! Hey, I have an idea, lets use other mechanics defined within the rules of the game to make this work.

And like I've signaled before - that's honestly really cool, and I love that ANet keeps and promotes stuff like that in GW2 because encouraging lateral thinking is about the only way you can keep the endless repetitive grind fresh for longtime players. I don't like when that lateral thinking shifts into meta, and outright hate it when it becomes a requirement, because then it transforms into wrongthink and every future encounter has to be designed with lateral thinking measures in place.

But there was a clear reason that this particular fractal is the one the player base finally broke ranks in treating this as a quirky clear trick. And just removing the tool is likely not going to be the thing that entices the playerbase to start considering to rethink their builds, even if I hope it does.

So yeah. Nerf Sunqua's breakbars, else people are probably gonna treat it like Siren's Reef, Deepstone and to a lesser extent Underwater fractal when there's an afflicted instability, and just pretend it doesn't exist in the fractal daily rotation. Its a slippery slope back to the old Swamp Fractal meta :bigfrown:

EDIT: to better make the point on this, yes most static groups or clear groups aren't going to care much about this because of the likely case that they're already running a meta group. 3 DPS, healbrand, alacregade, one of those DPS is likely a warrior, another is likely a thief or an engi or a mesmer. Cool.

So what if your clear group had 3 ele DPS?

Or you weren't running a firebrigade and are instead using a heal scourge with flesh golem?

Or your clear group is a meme build that you came up with your friends on that works perfectly for your own group's synergy, but is slim on CC?

There are certain classes that are inherently better at providing hard reliable CC, and it just so happens that most of those are considered "meta" classes right now. So what happens in the next set of balance changes when they retool things to make eles stronger, or nerf guardian support, or something else to shift back to the chrono/druid meta? Or an entirely new setup?

Its not a comfortable spot to be in, unless you're willing to just discard specific content.

naengwen on
  • Options
    I mean, I've also been of the opinion since launch that attempting to cater to the hardcore crowd is a mistake, and Anet never should have jumped off that slippery slope in the first place. I literally saw someone on Reddit today complaining that they hate that GW2 has a plot, and that they want it to just focus on hardcore content and nothing else, that MMOs don't need plot or story, and I'm like... what the hell universe is this guy from, and why won't he go back to playing LoL or whatever?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Do I need to go ahead and reserve a name for a bird person and a bird guild before all the good ones are taken?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Its extremely unlikely we get a new race, given the enormous costs and Anet appearing to continuing to downsize. It looks like we can't even get new maps for LS anymore.

• Options
    I just logged in to pick up my daily chest, and the chat in Bloodstone Fen is:

"Nantucket is literally real wtf"

I then logged off.

I have no idea what that was about, but it's kinda maybe the reason I still play MMOs. =P

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Patch day today! New story missions, new group strike team story missions, new masteries and new rewards! EDIT: Also voice lines for Episodes 3 and 4, if you were holding off on those until VA was there!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/118412

naengwen on
  • Options
    Upside: it's really nice to hear our friends again.

Downside: Dragon Response missions are HELLA boring.

• Options
    Protip for the extremely chonky bastards:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Powerful_Potion_of_Destroyer_Slaying

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Destroyer_Slaying => I actually bought an extra Exotic sword JUST to use for this content bc I don't have a Legendary sigil or anything

NOTE: buy these *now*; the sell price already skyrocketed and it's only going to keep going up as people realize that this stuff is the only way these missions are going to go any faster.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I haven't played in quite a while and I'm trying to catch up on story. After I finished chapter 2 or so of the latest saga, I had to go to the Grove and I saw all these people who I thought were dead...alive. And I was SO LOST. I didn't realize it had defaulted me WAY back to the story of the first expansion =p.

Coming back to this inventory is...overwhelming.
    ro84zyiigrte.jpg

So much stuff that is junk probably but I'm afraid to throw out. 95% of it I don't even know what it's for, but googling it all is daunting! I wish they'd utilize the wallet a little more for some of this stuff.

vamen on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Protip for the extremely chonky bastards:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Powerful_Potion_of_Destroyer_Slaying

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Sigil_of_Destroyer_Slaying => I actually bought an extra Exotic sword JUST to use for this content bc I don't have a Legendary sigil or anything

NOTE: buy these *now*; the sell price already skyrocketed and it's only going to keep going up as people realize that this stuff is the only way these missions are going to go any faster.

Awesome tip.

I can craft all of these, if you want anything making, just drop me the materials, I'm usually on most days!

Leandriell on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Best Buy is having a sale on the gem cards for this weekend, $5 off the $25 cards. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-gem-cards-at-20-off-during-the-best-buy-gaming-weekend/

• Options
    Okaaay, Gendaran CM is nuts. The other Dragon Response missions in a group on CM were a lot more sane.

• Options
    Okaaay, Gendaran CM is nuts. The other Dragon Response missions in a group on CM were a lot more sane.

Apparently they did a balance pass at some point this week, Gendarran's a lot less nuts HP-wise now.

• Options
    We found it a lot less traumatic this week :) Reflects, more CC and omegahealz ftw :)

• Options
    I kinda miss WvWvW.

Are any of y'all still on Fort Aspenwood and interested in just bumming around and generally being nusciences?

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    I know Sonork is definitely still playing regularly, I play occasionally as well. We joined a guild that specifically does WvW on certain nights and they're pretty good people.

253J736.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    I know Sonork is definitely still playing regularly, I play occasionally as well. We joined a guild that specifically does WvW on certain nights and they're pretty good people.

May I ask what guild, and if they're looking for folks?

• Options

Nevermind! I found the guild! By sheer coincidence! and they were looking for folks (Shrouded Warband)

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular

Nevermind! I found the guild! By sheer coincidence! and they were looking for folks (Shrouded Warband)

Sorry, I didn't see your post! I'm sure you'll fit in just fine there, they're as crazy as the rest of us, and good people (mostly).

253J736.png
  • Options
    I've not been on much since the most recent patch, after being disappointed with DRMs. However.. I did Drizzlewood today and it's a completely different experience with ambient conversations throughout. I'll be going back for the story episodes soon! I highly recommend trying it.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I realized I am a terrible guild leader, and had not yet confirmed someone had decorated the guildhall.
    I have now fixed this glaring error :) I've made an epic wintersday stage among other things, so join me for some festive music at missions o clock today!
    Loving the new wintersday star decorations :)

Leandriell on
  • Options
    Hey all,

The Sunday missions krewe are taking a bit of a break to do some explorable dungeons! We'll be running quick missions then dropping into dungeons. If you need any paths drop me a line and we can try and fit you in :) (I've got a spreadsheet of the dungeons our regulars need).

• Options
    Been getting back into Tyria after a brief vacation in Azeroth and sadly my video card blew up over the holidays - the Radeon 5600 I was able to slot has absolutely, utterly, terrible performance compared to the NVIDIA cards I've used in the past (even earlier gens like 1050). It's really odd. It just draws super janky. I've turned off shadows and limited models, but it's a bummer. I've found complaints about the cards online for GW2, but most of the "fixes" are to use the DX12 addon, which I'm not super sure about.

• Options
    Been getting back into Tyria after a brief vacation in Azeroth and sadly my video card blew up over the holidays - the Radeon 5600 I was able to slot has absolutely, utterly, terrible performance compared to the NVIDIA cards I've used in the past (even earlier gens like 1050). It's really odd. It just draws super janky. I've turned off shadows and limited models, but it's a bummer. I've found complaints about the cards online for GW2, but most of the "fixes" are to use the DX12 addon, which I'm not super sure about.

I have used the DX12 addon!

The good: It does work. It doesn't do anything shady to your computer.

The bad: It will be jank-ass and slow the first time you install it because it has to re-populate the shader cache. It has a consistent weird bug having to do with where / how GW2 stores character portraits (eg, in dialogue boxes, party member window, character select) where the only thing that will load is their eyeballs, teeth, and hair. It will break things whenever the game updates and you'll have to wait for the guy who created it to get around to updating it.

For me personally, I have an RTX 2070, so it didn't provide me any noticeable improvement, and it did give me a ton of headaches with keeping it up to date. But I've heard it can significantly improve things on older systems. YMMV.
    Hey all,

The Sunday missions krewe are taking a bit of a break to do some explorable dungeons! We'll be running quick missions then dropping into dungeons. If you need any paths drop me a line and we can try and fit you in :) (I've got a spreadsheet of the dungeons our regulars need).

I... DO need some of the explorable modes :\a I'd love to finally complete my Dungeon Master Title. According to GW2 Efficiency, I think here's what I still need:
    Sorrow's Embrace
    • Explorable Mode—Rasolov's Path

Ruined City of Arah
    • Explorable Mode—Jotun Path
    • Explorable Mode—Forgotten Path
    • Explorable Mode—Seer Path

• Options

I have used the DX12 addon!

The good: It does work. It doesn't do anything shady to your computer.

The bad: It will be jank-ass and slow the first time you install it because it has to re-populate the shader cache. It has a consistent weird bug having to do with where / how GW2 stores character portraits (eg, in dialogue boxes, party member window, character select) where the only thing that will load is their eyeballs, teeth, and hair. It will break things whenever the game updates and you'll have to wait for the guy who created it to get around to updating it.

For me personally, I have an RTX 2070, so it didn't provide me any noticeable improvement, and it did give me a ton of headaches with keeping it up to date. But I've heard it can significantly improve things on older systems. YMMV.
    Hey all,

I... DO need some of the explorable modes :\a I'd love to finally complete my Dungeon Master Title. According to GW2 Efficiency, I think here's what I still need:
    Sorrow's Embrace

Ruined City of Arah

Cool! Thanks for the note on DX12. I may give it a shot until I can properly upgrade (though wow is it hard to buy a vid card right now).

• Options
    Hey all,

Sorrow's Embrace

Ruined City of Arah

Okidokie, got this on my spreadsheet! We likely won't be doing Arah for a while, especially path 3 (which we did instead of missions before Christmas).

• Options
    On another note, I am *probably* going to try to host my annual birthday party on February 5! It will NOT be at The Last Whiskey Bar this time, but will instead start in The Black Citadel, because I am inviting my IRL friends, so they'll have 1st level characters. My thought was that I'd kinda stopped doing this, but I miss my friends a great deal, and GW2 has an F2P option, and the Mac client is still around until February 18 so even my weirdo Mac friends can still hop on at least for that day.

• Options
    Some predictions based on the latest story..
    • Rytlock will end up breaking someone out of Frozen using Sohothin (probably with Crecia/Efram)
    • Braham will end up as Primordious' champion

• Options
    Lunar new year is out!

This might be the fastest I've done the annual achi, in a couple of hours from launch! (and yay to 36l achi chest!)

• Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    When someone can, if there's room, can I get an invite to the guild?

Empirical.6504

Poop nuggets.