As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Apparently Sony's new San Diego studio will "expand upon existing franchises," which could produce good things but the concept doesn't immediately give me warm fuzzy feelings. Rumor is they're doing something with Uncharted.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Me yesterday: Boy, I sure have been productive by destroying all these old cardboard boxes and sending them off for recycling

Tech support today: OK, please box up your controller and send it to us

:rotate:

But wait - if I buy another controller, I can send it off in that box!
    I actually bought myself a second controller for Xmas. Still no PS5 although one of my co-workers picked his up from JB this arvo. I'm hoping to get in the next batch - whenever that happens.

26904.png
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    The PS4 camera adapter finally arrived so I could play some VR, and I loaded up Squadrons to see the difference.

The first prologue mission looks like a whole new game! Admittedly it was one of the least clear levels on the PS4 Pro but god damn.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I'm 56,060 in the queue at Currys for one!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My new controller arrived yesterday, and I was glad to see that there was a definite difference - no rattling, and a stiffer trigger

Also, once my other controller is returned, I'll be ready for couch co-op! Once people are allowed to go round each other's houses, obviously

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    2 controllers is a good idea just considering the battery life of the Dualsense.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    2 controllers is a good idea just considering the battery life of the Dualsense.

I've had two controllers on every system since the wires went away - plug in one and play with the other. It's just the best way to never worry about battery life.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    For external storage (for PS4 games) which is best... mechanical for more storage space, or SSD for more speed? I was looking at 2TB SSD but I feel like I might actually fill that up, especially if they start letting us move PS5 games over to external storage (just to store until moved back to the internal drive to play).

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

I just got a really long c to c cable.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I've found the Dualsense is lasting longer than the DS4 did at least.

I'd kinda like to hold off until they have different colours, but I've had two black DS4s for years so I can't even justify why.

• Options
    For external storage (for PS4 games) which is best... mechanical for more storage space, or SSD for more speed? I was looking at 2TB SSD but I feel like I might actually fill that up, especially if they start letting us move PS5 games over to external storage (just to store until moved back to the internal drive to play).

I’ve had good luck with this one on the PS4 and PS5:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DX7D744/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The most impressive thing to me is that I just unplugged it from my PS4, plugged it into my PS5, and the games were just there with no more setup needed.

Transferring the saves was a bit more complicated but not that bad.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I'd recommend SSD, especially if you plan to play PS4 games off of it. Simply put the PS5 absolutely spoils people with much better loading times, if you've got used to that at all, well, you'll lose basically all of that switching back to mechanical. When/if they let you do cold storage for PS5 games you'll also be a lot better off just in transfer speeds alone.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Also, you don't need the fastest/most expensive SSD for the PS4, as it doesn't take advantage of those features.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Also, you don't need the fastest/most expensive SSD for the PS4, as it doesn't take advantage of those features.

And there really isn't anything external or even internal that you can buy right now that replicates speed from the custom hardware aboard the PS5, even if the system allowed you to run PS5 games from an external drive.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »

And there really isn't anything external or even internal that you can buy right now that replicates speed from the custom hardware aboard the PS5, even if the system allowed you to run PS5 games from an external drive.

nah, the PCIe4.0 m2 NVME drives are exactly what they are using, as far as I can tell.

Those are not cheap, but they are stupidly fast, on the order of 5000MB/s

edit: Sony claims 9GB/s, but I am pretty sure the bus is limited at the 5.0-5.5GB/s level, with 9.0 coming from compression tricks. So, if you spend well on a high end nvme drive, it should match it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Wound up ordering a SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD that allegedly pulls 1050 MB/s over USB 3.2 Gen 2 (which I believe the PS5 does support). For the price I really wish it was 4TB as opposed to 2TB, but I suppose that's asking too much for bleeding fast SSDs. Hopefully I don't manage to fill it up.

I'm dreading pulling the PS5 out of my entertainment center and braving the nest of wires so I can plug this SSD into a rear USB port and hide it somewhere. Every time I handle my PS5 I feel like I'm going to break the damn thing, especially since I have it horizontal it's extra awkward. Falls right off the stand if I just try to pull it forward a little.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This is the third time in a week that I've been literally holding my phone, seen the alert, navigated to a retailer inside of 10 seconds, and then been told they're out of stock. Meanwhile, scalpers tweet that they just scored 1000 new units for sale.

So.

Fuck this. This is the dumbest fucking product launch I've ever seen, and I'm just going to wait until next Christmas or whenever the fuck Sony's production can outpace these thieving assholes. No console is worth playing these asinine games, and I hope every last scalper dies of some virulent new strain of dick covid.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    I don't know if we should be more pissed at the retailers or Sony. Nobody seems too interested in combatting the bot swarms.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This is the third time in a week that I've been literally holding my phone, seen the alert, navigated to a retailer inside of 10 seconds, and then been told they're out of stock. Meanwhile, scalpers tweet that they just scored 1000 new units for sale.

So.

Fuck this. This is the dumbest fucking product launch I've ever seen, and I'm just going to wait until next Christmas or whenever the fuck Sony's production can outpace these thieving assholes. No console is worth playing these asinine games, and I hope every last scalper dies of some virulent new strain of dick covid.

Is that covid for dickish people or specifically covid in the dick? I'm confused.

Agreed though, it's crazy that we are 3 months out from launch day and the stock situation hasn't improved one iota, it's still the same way it was on launch day.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

So.

Is that covid for dickish people or specifically covid in the dick? I'm confused.

Agreed though, it's crazy that we are 3 months out from launch day and the stock situation hasn't improved one iota, it's still the same way it was on launch day.

I would assume it is specifically COVID in the dick itself. I don't what that medically entails, I can only hope it is long-lasting and painful.

• Options

So.

WHICHEVER

I AM NOT PICKY

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    It's gonna be a while before I get a PS5 or XBSX. In the meantime, I don't know where else to ask...

Gamestop has a bundle with a refurbished PS4 and The Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted 4, and Ratchet and Clank for $299.99. I haven't had a PS since PS2. Is that a good deal for a refurbished system and how much of a chance am I taking by not getting a new PS4?

Alternatively, should I just wait for a PS5? Part of waiting is to see if the XBox does well, and I can keep my gamertag and games going, or just jump ship. If I had known the XB1 would turn out the way it did, I would have gotten a PS4 then.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    PS4 has a lot of incredible games for it, if the money is just burning a hole in your pocket and you can’t wait for a PS5 that’s a great deal

Alternately, if you can see yourself using a PS4 to tide you over until you can get a PS5, the PS4 can also stream from your PS5 if it’s on the same network, so you can have access to your systems from either room, and all your PS4 games will carry over to the new system; you’ll be able to buy new games as they come out as well

There’s enough games on PS4 to keep you busy for like a decade if you missed this whole gen

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Turns out the reviews on the bundle aren't so great. They're refurbished and the games are used. People complaining they received their system and it didn't work. The games were scratched or the system gouges them, etc. I'll just wait until they drop the prices on PS4's.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, that would be an exceptional deal if everything in it actually WORKED.

• Options
    If you do wait for a PS5 and are planning to get PS+, you'll also have access to those 3 games and I think it's 15 others at no extra charge, as part of the PS+ Collection.

• Options
    Wound up ordering a SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD that allegedly pulls 1050 MB/s over USB 3.2 Gen 2 (which I believe the PS5 does support). For the price I really wish it was 4TB as opposed to 2TB, but I suppose that's asking too much for bleeding fast SSDs. Hopefully I don't manage to fill it up.

I'm dreading pulling the PS5 out of my entertainment center and braving the nest of wires so I can plug this SSD into a rear USB port and hide it somewhere. Every time I handle my PS5 I feel like I'm going to break the damn thing, especially since I have it horizontal it's extra awkward. Falls right off the stand if I just try to pull it forward a little.

As a follow up to this -- I've installed this SSD as extended storage on my PS5 and did a couple tests to gauge its speed running PS4 games versus running them off of the PS5's internal storage. My highly unscientific measurement found the PS5 internal storage is just slightly faster. I used multiple different cables and ports on the PS5 (front, rear, USB-A, USB-C) and got the same results.

My test consisted of loading my Final Fantasy VII Remake save file. On the internal PS5 storage, the save file consistently took roughly 19.4 seconds to load (+/- 0.2 seconds, probably due to my reaction time on hitting the stop watch mostly). On the SSD extended storage, the save file consistently loaded up at roughly 20.1 seconds.

So, I would say, pretty good!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIl_UP-5Wo&ab_channel=PlayStationAccess

Best month since I've been a member of PS+ I think.

Destruction All-Stars, Control Ultimate Edition, and Concrete Genie for PS+ in February. I haven't played any of these and Destruction All-Stars and Concrete Genie both looked fun but I didn't want to spend money on them. So perfect!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I have almost-but-then-not bought Control for PS5 like 4 times.

I can't believe it actually paid off but yeah I'll take it.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/bf9jML62DZQ

Destruction All Stars looks really fun.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    For the Gundam fans out there, the free to play PS4 title Gundam Battle Operation 2 just recently launched on PS5. Improvements include dualsense support for adaptive trigger use and enhanced force feedback (as well as use of the audio capability for things like firing weapons), framerate and load time improvements, and a new map:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/01/26/mobile-suit-gundam-battle-operation-2-launches-on-ps5-january-28/

If you played the game on PS4 originally you can transfer your progress over as well.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    For the Gundam fans out there, the free to play PS4 title Gundam Battle Operation 2 just recently launched on PS5. Improvements include dualsense support for adaptive trigger use and enhanced force feedback (as well as use of the audio capability for things like firing weapons), framerate and load time improvements, and a new map:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/01/26/mobile-suit-gundam-battle-operation-2-launches-on-ps5-january-28/

If you played the game on PS4 originally you can transfer your progress over as well.

Strictly PVP game right?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So I'm now pretty sure my console's screwed up. Flashing images and distorted sounds after it's been on for an hour or so.
    I call Playstation Support to get my options, and (after 30 minutes on hold) it sounds like I can either send it off for repair that'll take about 20 days once they have the parts (which is more or less linked to when their console production issues are sorted out), or try to just get a replacement from Amazon.
    Amazon's replacement timescale runs out tomorrow, and they don't have any consoles in stock to replace it, but the woman on the phone said they'll leave a not on my account that I want to replace it, so I'll be able to once they have some. I give 50/50 odds that that'll happen.
    On the bright side, Amazon's phone support was quick and had actual classical music while on hold. Sony's was so bad I felt compelled to leave this as feedback:
    Your on hold music is a crime against sound. Sony own licenses to a number of musicians collected works, so why you find it necessary to use a 20 second loop of elevator music that sounds like a jazz player chained to a midi keyboard is a mystery I cannot explain.

In the meantime, I guess I'm keeping all my gaming sessions to an hour or less.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    It is crazy that the charging station is still unavailable anywhere. 😕

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I've been play Ghost of Tsushima and I have to say while it doesn't reinvent any wheels it does what it wants to do so competently that I've been having a lot of fun.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Strictly PVP game right?

Yeah it's PVP only outside of a training mission I think.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I've been play Ghost of Tsushima and I have to say while it doesn't reinvent any wheels it does what it wants to do so competently that I've been having a lot of fun.

I just got my 2nd platinum trophy on it. It was legit a wonderful experience.

• Options
    My PS5 controller has stopped turning on my PS5 and it's really annoying me.

• Options

This happens to me every once in a while. My ps5 will turn off suddenly from out of rest mode and the controller acts like it cant find a connection when you try to turn it on through it. Only way I can get it back on is by hitting the power button twice.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options

This happens to me every once in a while. My ps5 will turn off suddenly from out of rest mode and the controller acts like it cant find a connection when you try to turn it on through it. Only way I can get it back on is by hitting the power button twice.

I've also had an instance of the controller connecting but not letting me select a profile. Have to hold the ps button for 10 seconds and try it again. Wonder what causes it.