As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    If cellphone cameras have taught me anything, it's often better to go with the higher quality / lower magnification optics vs the opposite.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd say the ultimate decision scopewise is what's best for your eyes. Clarity and Magnification (along with quality of course) are paramount for me due to my terrible eyesight and if I'm pushing past 100 yards I really need the extra magnification in order to see what I'm actually hitting.

Fucking A. I need to get a magnifier for my red dot. Even at 50y I can get on target on a 12” area but damned if i can actually see the bullseye.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Same. that's partly why I got the 3x magnifier for my scorpion. Up to 25 yards I'm fine, but if I actually want to see that i'm hitting my target, I need that extra magnification. Thank goodness for splatter targets. Those things are lifesavers.

• Options
    Same. that's partly why I got the 3x magnifier for my scorpion. Up to 25 yards I'm fine, but if I actually want to see that i'm hitting my target, I need that extra magnification. Thank goodness for splatter targets. Those things are lifesavers.

which magnifier did you get?

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    I'm thinking about spending a little more money on a slightly lower magnification (but a step up in quality) scope.

Looking in the 4-16 range now. I don't really see myself stretching out past 600-800 yards or so, especially with an 18" barrel on my .308 AR-10.

What sort of shooting distances do you have available to you right now? Ranges or shooting spots you go to, or ones that are at least nearby?

I find it easy to think about what I want to do, and forget about what I actually have available to me.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I really want to get back into distance shooting. There's a place to do it close-ish to Nashville but it's a private club with like a 2 year waiting list.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I need to go do freelance work for Barrett so I can use their range : )

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about living in the pacific northwest is having access to hundreds of miles of BLM land in basically every direction. There are a ton of shooting spots out innawoods, and on the off chance that your favorite one is full all you have to do is drive around until you find a spot with a good backstop (looking for dead ends on forest roads in Google Maps helps for this).

You'll need a vehicle with at least some offroad capability, but that just means your vehicle can survive a dirt road with some mild hills, you don't have to take any jeep trails or anything.

If it's an established spot than you don't even need to pick up your brass if you don't feel like it, since there will be someone who will come along who will happily pick it up for you.

The downside is that if you have a breakdown or get a flat without a spare you get to add a hefty hike back into cell service to your day's itinerary.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Label wrote: »
    I'm thinking about spending a little more money on a slightly lower magnification (but a step up in quality) scope.

Looking in the 4-16 range now. I don't really see myself stretching out past 600-800 yards or so, especially with an 18" barrel on my .308 AR-10.

What sort of shooting distances do you have available to you right now? Ranges or shooting spots you go to, or ones that are at least nearby?

I find it easy to think about what I want to do, and forget about what I actually have available to me.

Yeah, definitely not much over 600 yards, if ever.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about living in the pacific northwest is having access to hundreds of miles of BLM land in basically every direction. There are a ton of shooting spots out innawoods, and on the off chance that your favorite one is full all you have to do is drive around until you find a spot with a good backstop (looking for dead ends on forest roads in Google Maps helps for this).

You'll need a vehicle with at least some offroad capability, but that just means your vehicle can survive a dirt road with some mild hills, you don't have to take any jeep trails or anything.

If it's an established spot than you don't even need to pick up your brass if you don't feel like it, since there will be someone who will come along who will happily pick it up for you.

The downside is that if you have a breakdown or get a flat without a spare you get to add a hefty hike back into cell service to your day's itinerary.

I curse that two organizations have the exact same initials, and is always used in such a way that I have to do a spit take each time.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

which magnifier did you get?

Also went with the Holosun 3x magnifier since I had the holosun optic. Been very happy with it so far. Easy to adjust and the flip mount is solid.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Man, I've really been itching to buy a new rifle.

The money that was going to go to upgrade my graphics card in my PC is now going to a gun as I won't be able to score one of those until probably 2022.

I've been looking really hard at a Palmetto State Armory AK-V9.(Which they never have in stock....)

I just think I would love to shoot the thing. I don't want an AR as I spent 20 years in the Army and had my fun shooting them and want something different.

I currently have a Walther PPQ in .40S&W, a Sig P238 (which is fun as hell to shoot), a Ruger 10-22 (50th anniversary edition), and an old 22-250 that was my dad's (great fox hunting rifle).

I'm really leaning towards an AK platform rifle or PCC. Is 7.62 ridiculously price gouged now a days like 5.56?

Anyone have anything to recommend?

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Everything's ridiculously priced, yeah. Steel case Tula 7.62x39 is going for $1 a round.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Everything's ridiculously priced, yeah. Steel case Tula 7.62x39 is going for $1 a round.

It’s half that on Ammoseek right now, and usually down in the 30s if you’re willing to shop the deals.

I’m saving up for baby’s first AK right now, it’s gonna be a while but Arsenal’s SLR107 is what I’m gonna go with. It’s pricey but every AK person I know recommends them as the only AK you’ll need to buy.

I’ve heard good things about VPAP and WASR10s as well

David Walgas on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    We have a gun show coming up in March that I'd like to go to. I hope I can get vaccinated before the show because I sure as fuck don't want to be around gun people while still at risk for COVID.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    We have a gun show coming up in March that I'd like to go to. I hope I can get vaccinated before the show because I sure as fuck don't want to be around gun people while still at risk for COVID.

Have you been before? They're mostly a waste of time, at least the ones near me are.

Just visualize bins of m1 carbine magazine parts and leather flap holsters and you get the idea.

• Options

Have you been before? They're mostly a waste of time, at least the ones near me are.

Just visualize bins of m1 carbine magazine parts and leather flap holsters and you get the idea.

Yea, ive never found a good deal at gun shows. Just a bunch of dudes who “know what they got” and aren't down to haggle. Especially right now I bet everything will be at a premium. Especially ammo sales.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Yea, ive never found a good deal at gun shows. Just a bunch of dudes who “know what they got” and aren't down to haggle. Especially right now I bet everything will be at a premium. Especially ammo sales.

Yeah, most of the stuff at the show tends to be garbage but I got a killer deal on an AR and Ammo at the last show back in March 2020. My AR-15 came with pic rails on top (no irons but I got a cheap RDS), and all metal construction with accessory mounting points all over the barrel guard. It looked like the dude had a pallet of uppers and another pallet of lowers and was putting them together at the show. I paid $450 after tax. At the same show I got a 75 round bag of generic "factory loaded" (prob Slav) steel case 5.56 for $25 cash.

I can usually find a couple of good deals hidden in with the overpriced garbage. Most folks seem to be willing to negotiate if you're paying cash.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

The money that was going to go to upgrade my graphics card in my PC is now going to a gun as I won't be able to score one of those until probably 2022.

I've been looking really hard at a Palmetto State Armory AK-V9.(Which they never have in stock....)

I just think I would love to shoot the thing. I don't want an AR as I spent 20 years in the Army and had my fun shooting them and want something different.

I currently have a Walther PPQ in .40S&W, a Sig P238 (which is fun as hell to shoot), a Ruger 10-22 (50th anniversary edition), and an old 22-250 that was my dad's (great fox hunting rifle).

I'm really leaning towards an AK platform rifle or PCC. Is 7.62 ridiculously price gouged now a days like 5.56?

Allow me to plug my favorite commie block rifle, the VZ 58. 7.62x39, short stroke gas system, AR like fire control, and weighs less.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I cannot thank everyone enough for my first gun purchase and instructions in what to do first.

My glock 19 is now ready for shooting. I went through the instruction manual and disassembled and reassembled it a few times and oiled everything.

I also joined my local range for a year, which they had a deal on (free conceal carry class, free range time, ammunition discounts).

They also only sell one box of ammunition to person to day so it's been easy to go in and get 9mm FMJ stuff to practice with.

Question for all of you gun enthusiasts, does anyone expect ammunition cost to ever actually go down in price or this is the new normal? For reference at my range with my discount, 50 rounds of 9mm FMJ from Winchester is $20.50, which at price per round is cheaper than I've seen online.

Also, range employees are so nice. I went in to pickup my G19 and the guy quickly showed me this like.. collapsible stock that turns the hand gun into something like a carbine? I thanked him for the demo, but had to reiterate I'm taking this stuff step by step.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    They wont go down to pre-2020 prices. All the major manufactures announced price increases to the baseline starting next month. As we get farther from the 6th and more and people get vaccinated prices should settle down a bit though. Unfortunately theres going to be some hoarding no matter what due to a Democrat as president.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I cannot thank everyone enough for my first gun purchase and instructions in what to do first.

My glock 19 is now ready for shooting. I went through the instruction manual and disassembled and reassembled it a few times and oiled everything.

I also joined my local range for a year, which they had a deal on (free conceal carry class, free range time, ammunition discounts).

They also only sell one box of ammunition to person to day so it's been easy to go in and get 9mm FMJ stuff to practice with.

Question for all of you gun enthusiasts, does anyone expect ammunition cost to ever actually go down in price or this is the new normal? For reference at my range with my discount, 50 rounds of 9mm FMJ from Winchester is $20.50, which at price per round is cheaper than I've seen online.

Also, range employees are so nice. I went in to pickup my G19 and the guy quickly showed me this like.. collapsible stock that turns the hand gun into something like a carbine? I thanked him for the demo, but had to reiterate I'm taking this stuff step by step.

Supply chains getting closer to normal should help a lot. Right now even a small hiccup in the supplies of one component screws up things across all sorts of items. If an ammo manufacturer is missing the parts for 10% of a round, they can't just box and sell 90% made rounds.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Supply chains getting closer to normal should help a lot. Right now even a small hiccup in the supplies of one component screws up things across all sorts of items. If an ammo manufacturer is missing the parts for 10% of a round, they can't just box and sell 90% made rounds.

Yea in my limited understanding its that primers are the holdup. Some brass, lead and powder available but no primers. Its impacting the reloading market as well.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I've found a number of good things at the few gun shows I've attended:
    1) Individual snapcaps I didn't want a whole package of
    2) A solidly made small fixed blade knife from a custom knife maker who probably was dying inside from hawking to a crowd that doesn't appreciate what he offered
    3) An East German Makarov pistol with holster
    4) A few other things not relevant to others in the thread related to my state's laws

The only gun on that list could have been by someone who "knows what they got" but it was also the only Makarov pistol I've seen in person ever.

Basically prepare to be underwhelmed unless you're interested in much more niche stuff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NEW FLGS I just found in the area I moved to (with an upstairs range) obviously has no guns or ammo cause lol2020 but what few they did have...

there was a bond arms knock off derringer in 38spl for $100 out the door.

I missed my chance at this two years ago with one in 9mm and I think I'm going to get this one.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Allow me to plug my favorite commie block rifle, the VZ 58. 7.62x39, short stroke gas system, AR like fire control, and weighs less.

Yo, if you don't mind dropping down to pistol calibers, there's always the Kalashnikov US KP-9 (chambered in 9mm). If I ever get disposable income again, it'll most likely be my next firearm purchase. Aside from the 9mm parabellum chambering and the magazine, everything else looks and feels very AK-like.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I've seen it for ~50 cpr quite a bit recently. I picked up 1k rounds at just under that.

Have you considered the CZ Scorpion, if you're looking at PCCs? A couple of us have them and speak highly of them, once you get them set up.

You're looking at >50cpr these days for 7.62x39 or 9mm.

• Options
    Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on a CZ Scorpion last night. Noticed you can get em for around 800-1000$. But wanted to read up on them before I purchased it. One youtuber complained about rust in the barrel and the spring guide. That common?

Anyone have an online dealer they prefer going through? I don't have anything local that carries anything worth getting.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on a CZ Scorpion last night. Noticed you can get em for around 800-1000$. But wanted to read up on them before I purchased it. One youtuber complained about rust in the barrel and the spring guide. That common?

Anyone have an online dealer they prefer going through? I don't have anything local that carries anything worth getting.

I haven't noticed rust. I was enthusiastic enough about the pistol length one (7.7" barrel) that I did a form 1 to SBR it and put the OEM stock on it, along with a foregrip.

Doc on
  • Options
    The gun shop I found this past week also had a little 12 inch door breaching 12 gauge (4+1) and I almost want that to be my first tax stamp.

Then I want to just get a bunch of cheap ass doors from home depot and craigslist and set up a door breaching range on my property.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    The gun shop I found this past week also had a little 12 inch door breaching 12 gauge (4+1) and I almost want that to be my first tax stamp.

Then I want to just get a bunch of cheap ass doors from home depot and craigslist and set up a door breaching range on my property.

Need to get or make those cool shells that are just a bunch of metal powder

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

I bought mine lightly used through gunbroker so I can't comment on where to find one. That said, there are some things you should be aware of if you get into the platform.

-The general consensus is that the stock trigger is pretty terrible and I generally agree. It's long pull, super heavy and creep-ish. You'll want to, at the minimum upgrade the trigger spring using the HBI spring kit, or if you really want to splurge, Timney now has a drop in trigger pack for it that i've heard folks rave about.

-If you go for the carbine, I've heard mixed reviews about the stock, thankfully there are great stock options out there, one of the best being either the Zhukov or the ACR stock if you can find it in stock with the adapter, but this is more of a mixed contention here so some folks may be interested vs others.

- The stock grip also has some contention amongst the community, some folks like it, some don't. I didn't link it on account of how small it was for my gorilla hands so I upgraded it to a Yetiwurks switchback grip with adjustable backstraps and love it. Ymmv just like the stock.

-Finally the safety lever is annoying with this positioning if you tend to grip high on the pistol grip. The indicator nub has a tendency to dig into the web of your hand, but again, like the stock and grip, it's mainly a matter of preference. It doesn't really manifest all that much, but it was enough for me to upgrade to the HBI ak safety lever partially for the functionality and the aesthetic of physically blocking the trigger well as an extra reminder it's on safe.

Despite this, I freaking love the platform. It's comfortable as hell to shoot and lazer accurate in carbine form in particular. For a blowback gun, the recoil is controllable and easy to handle, especially given it's 9mm.

fbfbonfnlo9d.png

• Options
    Damn, you guys got me looking at a Scorpion really hard. How much is a pistol brace? I see ones without are going for 899 and ones with go as much as 1399 on gunbroker.

I think I'm leaning towards the 7.7" with the flash can. Looks like enough hand gaurd to put a bunch of crap on.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Oh we're doing scorpion pictures?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Thats a gun straight out of CoD I swear. Very awesome though.

Can I ask how much that setup cost, including taxes and fees?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    ~ $1700, including the SBR stamp, but not including the suppressor (or the stamp for that). I also have the Paske Pathfinder grip, not pictured.

Stuff on it:

C-MOR railway red dot
    Pakse Pathfinder grip (not pictured)
    pic rail cover (not pictured)
    VFG (forget the brand)
    HB trigger spring
    HB AK safety
    HB duckbill mag release
    OEM stock
    Shooter's Element improved charging handle

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I have a bone stock scorpion carbine and I like it just fine

But I also enjoy both the ones pictured above, well done

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I have a bone stock scorpion carbine and I like it just fine

But I also enjoy both the ones pictured above, well done

The sights it shipped with are phenomenal. I'd take the red dot off, but I don't have anything else to put it on.

Edit: I'm getting my AK next week. Maybe it looks enough like a Kobra...

Doc on
  • Options
    For sure looks like a Kobra, would be perfect on a dovetail for an AK!

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    ~ $1700, including the SBR stamp, but not including the suppressor (or the stamp for that). I also have the Paske Pathfinder grip, not pictured.

Stuff on it:

C-MOR railway red dot
    Pakse Pathfinder grip (not pictured)
    pic rail cover (not pictured)
    VFG (forget the brand)
    HB trigger spring
    HB AK safety
    HB duckbill mag release
    OEM stock
    Shooter's Element improved charging handle

I might have to start saving for that setup. Probably can't put in for a stamp for a gun you don't even own yet. I remember the nightmare you had getting yours.