As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Hmm, I’d been considering getting the Afterlife Ectotron anyway, could get him to open and leave original in box (or vice versa, GameStop put a huge price sticker on the one I got)

Definitely not against a second Gigawatt too, hrm

I’ll go ahead and crack the Astrotrain and Rodimus then

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Hmm, I’d been considering getting the Afterlife Ectotron anyway, could get him to open and leave original in box (or vice versa, GameStop put a huge price sticker on the one I got)

Definitely not against a second Gigawatt too, hrm

I’ll go ahead and crack the Astrotrain and Rodimus then

I was thinking on picking up an Afterlife Ectotron to pop out and play with. That sucks that your GS version of the original has a huge sticker on it. GS had Gigawatt for sale as their deal of the day a few days ago. I managed to get my second one from Walmart.com that I kept in box (even though they folded down the top to fit in the box).

I sort of made a rule with my toys that I wouldn't keep them in packaging since it takes up so much room. Especially my Star Wars 3.75" figures. I should keep to that rule since I will run out of storage.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Yeah honestly if it wasn’t for the retro packaging I’d crack them in a heartbeat

Side note: Rodimus Unicronus is finicky good lord.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Yeah honestly if it wasn’t for the retro packaging I’d crack them in a heartbeat

That is a major bummer. I sort of wanted to pick him up when I saw him in the store. Guessing it is a slight pain posing him like the Power of the Primes Nemesis Prime?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

That is a major bummer. I sort of wanted to pick him up when I saw him in the store. Guessing it is a slight pain posing him like the Power of the Primes Nemesis Prime?

Standing didn’t seem like a problem, the major issue came from connecting to the trailer (connecting the legs of the Hot Rod portion to the rear of the car mode was also not fun).

• Options

Standing didn’t seem like a problem, the major issue came from connecting to the trailer (connecting the legs of the Hot Rod portion to the rear of the car mode was also not fun).

Ahhh, bummer. I did like the gimmick though of combining and "upgrading".

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Ahhh, bummer. I did like the gimmick though of combining and "upgrading".

Don’t get me wrong, they both look amazing. It’s just getting there.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Still trying to find a Target exclusive GI Joe Viper, I'd be super grateful if anyone found one

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Still trying to find a Target exclusive GI Joe Viper, I'd be super grateful if anyone found one

I've checked twice now and haven't seen any GI Joe toys at Target full stop. Might just be my luck, still haven't found the final funko for my Transformers set either. I'll keep an eye on the app for store pickup, is there a product link for it?

• Options

It pains me reading your posts and people on other forums asking for this (and myself hoping for their Din exclusive). Hasbro should have team members lurk forums watching for the demand. Reporting back up and seeing if they could make more of these to sell...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

I've checked twice now and haven't seen any GI Joe toys at Target full stop. Might just be my luck, still haven't found the final funko for my Transformers set either. I'll keep an eye on the app for store pickup, is there a product link for it?

I’ve seen reports which seem to be accurate that the figure is no longer being put into Target’s stock database, probably to combat people rushing a store when Popfindr shows stock. At this point, the only way to know is to physically visit the store, for better or worse.

I’ve scanned the Pops section when I visit but I’ve only seen one Transformers Pop so far which was Optimus. You’re looking for Starscream, right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know walmart carries the retro Gi joes just how hasbro will go with them is a question
    There are only a handful of figures I would get and certain vehicles, The Hydrofoil, hovercraft. the space shuttles and the stiletto I know the names of the vehicles and the look
    They are not as expensive for the nearly 40 year old toys as one would think on ebay. As for the Classified series I bought a few of the figures on pulse I was waiting to see if they appeared in person before I got the rest
    I do wonder since Hasbro does have a cap on how much you can order they will keep some figures in reserve to prevent the mess of Target's cobra island again

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know walmart carries the retro Gi joes just how hasbro will go with them is a question
    There are only a handful of figures I would get and certain vehicles, The Hydrofoil, hovercraft. the space shuttles and the stiletto I know the names of the vehicles and the look
    They are not as expensive for the nearly 40 year old toys as one would think on ebay. As for the Classified series I bought a few of the figures on pulse I was waiting to see if they appeared in person before I got the rest
    I do wonder since Hasbro does have a cap on how much you can order they will keep some figures in reserve to prevent the mess of Target's cobra island again

So far with the Transformers it seems that Hasbro Pulse puts up the pre-orders, then sells out of those. The majority of them have come up again after they ship all the pre-orders. Some have even seen 2-3 relistings of extra stock. I have no idea about the GI Joe figures.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My latest stop by Target yielded neither of the things I was looking for, but I did find this bad boy:
    shx3axhapj0z.jpg

I'm a sucker for translucent toys

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Managed to get the last Panthor at Target yesterday. Seems to be taking forever for the newer figures to reach cold, icy New England this winter...

6w6xd5yu411f.jpg

• Options
    Out of curiosity, but did they make the re-released/updated versions of those toys have it so Skeletor's sword and He-Man's sword can combine like the originals? For some reason that made me so happy that you could do that and would always combine them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, but did they make the re-released/updated versions of those toys have it so Skeletor's sword and He-Man's sword can combine like the originals? For some reason that made me so happy that you could do that and would always combine them.

Yes, they go together just like the originals.

• Options

Yes, they go together just like the originals.

That is cool. I'm still trying to stay strong and stick with Star Wars, Transformers and various Japanese robot toys.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    119r0f5s5250.jpg

I NEVER expected to see these on a shelf at Target, but I was out buying an extension cord and holy shit, there they were.

Guys, they are SO good

• Options
    Aw dangit, now I'm starting to regret cancelling my pre-orders for these and sticking with the previous versions...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    7c8anqj6q9gj.jpg
    dnavnvr1jnld.jpg

I've never owned a Grimlock since G1. I've considered MP and 3Ps but never enough to pay premium piece.

Grimlock transforms exactly like you think, with some new tail engineering that cleans up the legs in robot mode. It's all extremely solid and feels great. You can probably do it with your eyes closed after doing it once.

Rodimus is a bit more finicky. His transformation has a lot more moving/small parts and that means it's harder to get things perfectly lined up. I also spied some stress marks in the leg assembly that's worrying on a new figure. I like him but I'll probably leave him in robot mode.

As you can see I've still got my original G1 Grimlock. My original Rodimus is MIA, sadly. I've long wanted modern versions of these two, they were first ones I owned.

Edit: I'm also pleasantly surprised - in the promo shots Grimlock's body/neck seem a very plain yellow, but they really do have a mild gold shine to them.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Wow, those look exactly like I imagined as more affordable MP type Transformers!!! Even cooler that you still have your G1 Grimlock too. I am actually quite impressed with them, and probably will end up buying the entire Movie Series line after this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Erm.

I'm gonna update Rodimus' leg assembly from worrying to alarming. Putting him back in robot mode is showing that these pieces don't want to tab in, and there are all kinds of stress marks down here.

Edit: Yeah, his transformation is clever, but it's a bit of a hassle. Thankfully he poses like a champ in bot mode, and I'm content to let him live out his days in a cocky swagger.

Edit 2: Wheelie sucks, but I think we all knew that

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Erm.

I'm gonna update Rodimus' leg assembly from worrying to alarming. Putting him back in robot mode is showing that these pieces don't want to tab in, and there are all kinds of stress marks down here.

Edit: Yeah, his transformation is clever, but it's a bit of a hassle. Thankfully he poses like a champ in bot mode, and I'm content to let him live out his days in a cocky swagger.

Edit 2: Wheelie sucks, but I think we all knew that

Yikes... Hopefully his legs will not fail or break. I really wished they made the Wheelie transform or just leave him out.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Which version of Rodimus is it?

EDIT: Just realized it's the studio series. I wonder how different it is from the POTP version since that one was a pain to transform as well.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Been meaning to make a post for awhile. Here's part 1 of 2?

War for Cybertron: Earthrise Fasttrack
    0n4kOpO.jpg
    Fasttrack was a drone companion of Scorponok, but I entirely got this guy because it looked like he had a cool spear mode that I could give to Omega Supreme, but sadly said spear mode kinda sucks. The handle is made out of his arms and the elbows have no means of locking so it's just a floppy mess unless you specifically position the elbows opposite the direction of gravity.

Still, he's an alright weaponizor. I like that his gun hands can turn into actual hands, that's a nice touch. Vehicle mode is a cute little tank thing. The instructions for the spear mode leave out his torso, which is ridiculous, so I fan-moded a way to include it. Not much else to say about this guy, I didn't bother weaponzing up anyone with him.

Alt-modes
    zFCdET7.jpg

Official spear mode
    EQeljZ7.jpg

My take
    HMNulva.jpg
    bq40Ni1.jpg

War for Cybertron: Netflix Soundwave
    R8NlZ2Y.jpg
    Had to get this guy despite owning the Siege version. He's.. Soundwave. It's impressive they molded this out of the Siege one, though not without some flaws. Strangely he still has weird bits on his forarms that were landing gear for his cybertron mode, and worst of all, his tapedeck mode is a little tacked on, so there are big gaps in the middle of it. Door opens and can hold a cassette, batteries go on the back in the altmode, he still has Megatron's back canon. He's Soundwave. I really don't see myself replacing him likely ever, even if they put out one with a non-gappy tapedeck mode.

rxNlcGi.jpg
    He also comes with a much more accurate Laserbeak and a less silver Ravage.

Alt-mode
    nFyuDbR.jpg

I can see right through you, Soundwave
    WLN40al.jpg

Comparison pics with Siege Soundwave & Spy Team 1
    JNqbBPk.jpg
    80oqvJr.jpg

Now, time for some Autobots
    xRqBSCE.jpg

War for Cybertron: Netflix Bumblebee
    hDOWhUy.jpg
    Finally! A deluxe (sorta) VW bug Bumblebee! Dispite being a parts former (you take the back half of his vehicle mode off of him to Transform him. It becomes a shield in his robot mode, as seen above, if you don't stow it on his back) he's pretty great. To make up for his (very) small size, he comes with a bigass canon like his mold-mate Cliffjumper. But I don't really feel it's Bee's style (though I do love the single-handgun with double magazine look). Thankfully I have that blaster from the Centurion Drone accessory pack to give him.

On top of his licensed VW Bug alt-mode, you can also reconfigure him to hold that bigass canon, or you can take it apart and make it into an aquatic ski system, akin to the one that showed up a bunch in the cartoon. His transformation is fine, but one issue I have is that I feel like I'm going to scrape off the paint on his collar every time I Transform him. I also totally broke him like the day after I got him. I wasn't paying attention when I pulled his gun off of the bottom and one of the pegs got stuck in the port an sheered off. Thankfully it was just on his gun and I don't like that canon anyway. Still, it sucked.

Overall a great interpretation of the character and I don't expect I'll be replacing him anytime soon.

Comparison with Titan's Return Bumblebee
    jKgDACk.jpg

Alt-modes
    je4l4fg.jpg
    FpHuIK2.jpg
    2bwXE0E.jpg

Studio Series '86 Grimlock w/ Wheelie
    A1Q6gFq.jpg
    Holy cow I did not expect this figure to stand out as much as he does. He's just so BIG and feels great to hold. He IS kinda chonky in that his tail is very banana like, and he's a little gappy in a few places in his altmode, but everything else stands out so much that he really hits just about every bell. As seen in the Autobots picture above, he is immensely tall, towering over even Prime. His feet are extremely solid and his wings even articulate. He comes with his blaster, but not his sword, so that sucks. Instead we get...

rgCn0iJ.jpg
    Wheelie.. Like, I'm not the biggest fan of Wheelie, but I don't feel like this is serving anyone. People who don't want a Wheelie aren't going to care and people who do want one aren't going to want one that doesn't Transform, or even has knees/elbows. I wish they would have just given us Grimlock's sword, but I guess he doesn't use it in the movie.

But don't let that detract you from the figure, which is utterly fantastic. They could do a better Grimlock, but this one is so great I don't think I'd care if they did. Real big thumbs up from me. If you want a CHUG scale Grimlock, this is absolutely hitting the right spot for me.

Alt-mode
    bOS2cG3.jpg

Comparison with Power of the Primes Grimlock
    KDBPYSj.jpg
    VdSKzAv.jpg

Collaborative Series Back to the Future: Gigawatt
    xKNnXvK.jpg
    Been waiting awhile for this guy. Is robot mode isn't hte most inspiring, but his vehicle mode is TOP notch. Both in detailing and in the ability to put him into BttF2 mode, via flipping the wheels and putting on Mr. Fusion (which also connects to his gun). Mr. Fusion is actually one of my big gripes with this toy, it BARELY stays on and is super small. This thing is going to vanish eventually. Make peace with that now. He also comes with the hook from the first movie, which can also mount on his arm.

One issue with his Transformation is that you have to be REAL careful so his head doesn't scratch off the numbers on the flux capacitor. Beyond that, he's a decent robot with an INCREDIBLE vehicle mode that's worth the price of admission. He also makes a great companion piece to Ecotron, IMO. I'm very, very happy with this purchase. Grimlock just kinda overshadowed him.

Alt-mode
    PaU7gJz.jpg
    ZG6BRnH.jpg

Comparison with Ectotron
    53oyWLK.jpg
    wIKPsdI.jpg

Anywho, I have a few more figures of the beastly persuasion, but I'll save that for another day.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Aw bummer, your comparison photos of Grimlock are not showing. I was curious to see the differences. Guess I could pull mine out and transform him to compare to the photos you made of him. Sucks that your BB broke a post in him. I also appreciate that you transformed the Soundwave since I have yet to do it myself. Bummed there are gaps in cassette mode, but neat that they managed to get it done with the existing mold. I honestly never knew what the other gun was till now. Thanks for clarifying it! I use it as a post to have Lazerbeak flying above Soundwave. Sucks to hear that Fasttrack isn't a good spear. Guessing they did a lot of fiddling to make it look solid. I never did buy Scorponok since I sold my Fort Max and Trypticon. I did pre-order the latest release of Omega Supreme and thanks to your photo I am glad I did. As much as I always wanted a Fort Max and Trypticon I didn't need the new ones to be so big! They are awesome and fun, but after a while the magic wore off and I didn't have the desire to keep them anymore. Luckily a local collector was hunting them down so I made his day by selling them for really cheap and tossed in their accessory bots like Fasttrack to boot.

Edit: I forgot to say that Gigawatt is my most loved Transformer right now. I liked the BttF movies, but man this toy just hits all of my happy spots! Even more than the Top Gun Maverick toy and Ectotron which I loved those movies more. Although to be fair, I have not pulled those two out of their packaging yet. I do agree that the Mr. Fusion doesn't fit right in car mode since it has to be backwards to fit without popping off.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Whoops. I missized all of my pictures (set them to lower quality than lower size, oops) and it was so late I didn't bother to double check I got all my links right. Grimlock pics should be good now.

• Options
    Cool yep, works now. Man he is so much bigger and better looking than the PotP version. Makes me regret cancelling my pre-order now. Hopefully I can find him for cheap later on along with Blurr, Kup and Hot Rod/Rodimus since I cancelled all of those due to me having the PotP versions. Although if I did get this version of Grimlock I'll wish that they made the rest of the Dinobots to join him in that scale. Which I know they won't so will be sad...

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Cool yep, works now. Man he is so much bigger and better looking than the PotP version. Makes me regret cancelling my pre-order now. Hopefully I can find him for cheap later on along with Blurr, Kup and Hot Rod/Rodimus since I cancelled all of those due to me having the PotP versions. Although if I did get this version of Grimlock I'll wish that they made the rest of the Dinobots to join him in that scale. Which I know they won't so will be sad...

There's already a "Slag w/ Daniel" figure in databases, and I think a Voyager class Swoop was been rumored. They're kinda running out of Bayverse movie figures and are going to need to fill space in that line until the next one.

The real trick will be if they try for Sludge as a leader, or sneak him in as a Commander.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited February 2021

There's already a "Slag w/ Daniel" figure in databases, and I think a Voyager class Swoop was been rumored. They're kinda running out of Bayverse movie figures and are going to need to fill space in that line until the next one.

The real trick will be if they try for Sludge as a leader, or sneak him in as a Commander.

Aw man... Now I'm tempted again.

Edit: Might pick up Grimlock then and eventually replace the PotP set.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Also I recently found out that a t-rex is believed to have weighed about the same as an african elephant, so for the next reboot I want Grimlock to want a dinosaur alt-mode, but get stuck with an Elephant one because dinosaurs are extinct and therefore a poor disguise. (Later when humanity finds out about Transformers, he can switch to a dinosaur)

The elephants ears work very well as the back wings in robot mode and this color scheme is already spot on.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Also I recently found out that a t-rex is believed to have weighed about the same as an african elephant, so for the next reboot I want Grimlock to want a dinosaur alt-mode, but get stuck with an Elephant one because dinosaurs are extinct and therefore a poor disguise. (Later when humanity finds out about Transformers, he can switch to a dinosaur)

The elephants ears work very well as the back wings in robot mode and this color scheme is already spot on.

That is cool they think that T-Rex was about the same weight as an African Elephant. Learned something new today.

I wonder what dinosaurs would be chosen if they were done today. Back when they were made everybody loved the ones they chose because sadly they were the only ones we recognized as kids. Today's kids can recognize so many more. Plus their personalities would have to be improved and not be "dumb" since we know that dinosaurs were really intelligent and not simple minded like humans thought they were at the time.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    For those that missed out, BBTS is getting the Rainmakers (the neon seeker 3 pack that was a Target exclusive during the Siege line) as well as Gigawatt.

• Options
    Good shout! I don’t love the tetrajet, I’m happy with just Redwing, and those neon colors are awful to me, they needed some darker shades thrown in to mix it up or something

Gigawatt isn’t perfect but is still super cool, as Scottsman posted above

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I already had the Rainmakers but I know not everybody was able to get them so wanted to let folks know.

It’s also fueling hope that BBTS may get the Amazon exclusives that got ganked by resellers (cone head 2 pack, tetrajet Skywarp)

• Options
    Oh, yeah, not trying to disparage your post! I appreciate any notifications of stuff like that. Just tossing out my personal thoughts. If they had a more interesting color scheme, I would be tempted.

But also, I have waaaaaay too much stuff already, and I just don’t have the room. Cool shit keeps coming out, but my house remains the same size! I really need to go through everything and purge,
    https://youtu.be/vJNDTfGRkmE

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Afterlife Ectotron has some bizarre hybrid packaging.

It’s like the modern Earthrise packaging and a G1 box had a baby.

But it makes it easier to have that one be the one I’ll open

• Options
    What is the comic that comes with it? Is it the Ghostbusters and Transformers crossover or something about the new movie?

oosik_betsuni.png