RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I dont speak English, what is a jobby

It's like

What a child would call a shit

Or Billy Connolly

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Hey Jason Derulo just yelled his name at the start of a song. I feel like I am young again.

wait did they sample him is this a sample

Ok phew no he's credited on this song

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i wonder if i can get myself to read a book a month or something

i'm already a month behind but

Nope can’t start now

Sorry there’s always next year

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

I dont speak English, what is a jobby

It's like

What a child would call a shit

Or Billy Connolly

Yeah the child thing isn't quite right and I can't quite explain the usage. It's not a euphemism, especially, but it's not like it's a swear

japan on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The symbolism
    Stolen from the [hesher] thread.

Who likes watching insanely talented people do insanely talented things?

Violinist from Japanese metal band Unlucky Morpheus shreds on some neoclassical Yngwie Malmsteen and it's a thing of absolute beauty.

https://youtu.be/E2hZDzJp9Pc

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    1) thank you for the MANY definitions of "flat of beer" you whole asses...

2) those victorian houses look nice and all but imagine the shit living under all that cloth. everything in there would be sticky after like 10 years in the southeast.
    Eddy wrote: »
    I am listening to the apple music up and coming pop playlist and some boy band just sampled 1979 by the Smashing Pumpkins without adding anything meaningful to it, actually kind of subtracting by using the sample to build a clumsily produced bland pop song.

Ah so this is what the boomers were always on about

fuck this made me think of that one youtube video of 1979 But You're Outside Listening To Your Car Radio-type thing

Fuck I don't know why these videos are always infinitely affecting and send me into a mood but anyway I can't find it so here's a video called "it's summer '13, you're on a roadtrip vibing and life's good"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWe40nEspDM

POV ur falling in luv with ur friend in the passenger seat

being in luv with your passenger is very bad for road safety

for safety's sake shun love

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I am always listening to new music because Spotify mainlines me my weekly dose of things I haven't heard which it thinks I'll like, and, really, it's pretty decent at it. So I'm not An Old who is still listening to whatever was hot when he was in college just forever.

But despite not being fossilized, I still have, like, zero idea what's going on with the youths. The youths are not listening to my discovery weekly and so therefore might as well live in a remote village in Greenland.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    MrMister wrote: »
    I am always listening to new music because Spotify mainlines me my weekly dose of things I haven't heard which it thinks I'll like, and, really, it's pretty decent at it. So I'm not An Old who is still listening to whatever was hot when he was in college just forever.

But despite not being fossilized, I still have, like, zero idea what's going with the youths. The youths are not listening to my discovery weekly and so therefore might as well live in a remote village in Greenland.

yeah same and I'm super surprised when I listen to something that came out within the year

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ok Machine Gun Kelly just came on and I can't figure out if it's 2007 or 1994 is this a thing the children listen to?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Do people coalesce around particular performers and releases as much anymore?

I mean, obviously they do to an extent, but does the thing where it seems like everyone is listening to the same tunes still happen or has popular music fragmented beyond that point?

• Options
    Yes I listen to AI rec lists and that keeps me from listening to the same stuff from a decade ago but it absolutely does nothing to tell me what's actually popular now, so I am doing a periodic temp check of non-personalized hot lists to make sure I at least know what's up.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The physics is so realistic

I mean, obviously they do to an extent, but does the thing where it seems like everyone is listening to the same tunes still happen or has popular music fragmented beyond that point?

Popular music has fragmented to hell as far as I can tell. Spotify is common as a platform people listen to but it's not like a radio station.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

That particular style is called Gingerbread architecture.

Gingerbread.png

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    +japan my local team just announced a new signing

former Scotland u21 international who played for both Celtic and Rangers

it's amazing reading the comments and seeing that no one likes him

I mean, one could forgive playing for Celtic (they're certainly not the Hibs, but no one is perfect), but why would anyone sign for the Rangers is beyond me. *ducks the incoming hail of 50p*

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The symbolism
    Ok Machine Gun Kelly just came on and I can't figure out if it's 2007 or 1994 is this a thing the children listen to?

I mean 15 years is about right for the revival

Thank god I have enough music where I can shelter from it entirely without even knowing it existed.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Yes I listen to AI rec lists and that keeps me from listening to the same stuff from a decade ago but it absolutely does nothing to tell me what's actually popular now, so I am doing a periodic temp check of non-personalized hot lists to make sure I at least know what's up.

I've been slowly working my way through the chat top 100 list that eddy put together and it's really nice for listening to stuff outside my own genre tastes

I've even saved a few songs to listen to again!

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

yeah this happens a lot

like folklore and wap last year were the biggest ones

• Options
    I am not hating this new Machine Gun Kelly, what is going on. He is not hip hop anymore?

This is clearly like pop-punk 90s alt rock fusion or something.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    also two youngsters on league of legends were having a convo about music and suggested I listen to 100 gecs and I guess this is what kids listen to these days?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97qLNXeAMQ

it'll be cool and weird when my own kids are old enough to discover music on their own

right now they have the playlists I seeded for them, which they've added to when they hear stuff they like on the radio or when they want me to remove stuff I thought they'd enjoy but don't

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The symbolism
    And just to really hammer it home, that MGK song with whatsherface I just listened to is pure nostalgia bait and really pretty lame.

But I totally would've listened to it back in the day.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I have decided to branch out from just posting pictures of norway from the news

zpduwjp8v0d61.jpg

so here's some sweden

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Water is awesome and I drink it regularly but I think during pandemic I’ve ended up drinking way more coffee.

Also whey powder and milk after workouts which I now suspect I overdid it on.

@six - it was dorky, but in my 20s I had a rigid 1 gallon jug that I would refill every day and carry around with me to ensure I was getting all the right amounts of water.

These days I keep a 1L water bottle around, and try to keep track of how many times I've filled it up. The goal is to hit 4L of water every active day and 2-3L on the inactive ones.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

yeah this happens a lot

like folklore and wap last year were the biggest ones

occasionally stuff goes viral, but unless something does, new stuff doesn't pop up on my radar the way stuff would when I listened to the radio

• Options
    old fishing communities are by far the loveliest places on our coast

which for this purpose, includes the west coast of sweden

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The symbolism
    also two youngsters on league of legends were having a convo about music and suggested I listen to 100 gecs and I guess this is what kids listen to these days?

it'll be cool and weird when my own kids are old enough to discover music on their own

right now they have the playlists I seeded for them, which they've added to when they hear stuff they like on the radio or when they want me to remove stuff I thought they'd enjoy but don't

I want to hate it, but this is fantastic.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Wonder Woman 1984 was released over one month ago. Feeling old yet, gamers?

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I want to hate it, but this is fantastic.

Like on the one hand I don't get it

on the other hand the lyrics are idiotic

on the gripping hand it's kind of catchy???? and weird???? and I think I like it?????

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Hey Jordan,

I appreciate you writing me up a sheet for that bike. I wanted to get some numbers before I put everything else in motion. The bike is beautiful and I don't think the 650R gets the attention it should. .I talked to my wife and I'm going to hold onto my CB500F for another season - it's my first bike and I just bought it this past March.

$7129 for this is a great deal and you guys are going to do a solid for someone.

Best,

IT'S NOT YOU IT'S ME

*CRIES*

Aww, sorry you couldn't work it out, Summary, I could tell you were really into that bike :c

Yeah it's a bummer

I could swing it right now but she's just right on principle, which is the worst

I also got sad making the Facebook post to sell my current bike and, without having confessed this to her, my wife came back with "what, you don't love this one anymore?? You've only been on one trip!" :bigfrown: :biggrin:

"I love it so much I need to share it with someone else"

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I am not hating this new Machine Gun Kelly, what is going on. He is not hip hop anymore?

show songs

MrMister on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I don't know how exactly to describe 100 gecs but it definitely feels like it leans heavily om nostalgia for 10-15y ago.
    I'd guess the people listening to it are more 25-30 than 15-20

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Glad to see the twins from How to Train Your Dragon making bangers

true

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stolen from the [hesher] thread.

Who likes watching insanely talented people do insanely talented things?

Violinist from Japanese metal band Unlucky Morpheus shreds on some neoclassical Yngwie Malmsteen and it's a thing of absolute beauty.

https://youtu.be/E2hZDzJp9Pc

See I fucking love this. The boy band thing with 1979 made me angry in like 20 seconds and I am not even a big Smashing Pumpkins fan.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I've been slowly working my way through the chat top 100 list that eddy put together and it's really nice for listening to stuff outside my own genre tastes

Show songs!!

• Options

show songs

https://youtu.be/4AJ6EI3uda4

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    The symbolism
    Everything leads back to The Velvet Underground. Just keep that in the tape deck.

• Options

show songs

https://youtu.be/4AJ6EI3uda4

Your diagnosis is accurate

up is down, cats and dogs living together,

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The symbolism
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I don't know how exactly to describe 100 gecs but it definitely feels like it leans heavily om nostalgia for 10-15y ago.
    I'd guess the people listening to it are more 25-30 than 15-20

It feels like someone deep fried a skrillex meme...so yes.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I was working to it today. I actually really enjoy lots of stuff on it. A few things have been not my thing but most of it is really good.

Its always funny when I hit a song and go, "Oh...that was from my list." This is usually true if it is Dropkick Murphy's or Against Me! or Bad Religion.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.