As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    I had to just put the controller down...
    Been doing this for 45 minutes, and if there's some kind of cool payoff I'm now too pissed to enjoy it in any sort of positive light.

Disappointing.
    Read Johnny's post above. It's important.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Been doing this for 45 minutes, and if there's some kind of cool payoff I'm now too pissed to enjoy it in any sort of positive light.

Disappointing.

Are you connected to the network? If you aren't, please do so if you can. It will change your mind.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Yes. And I've had the network corpses all throughout my playthrough, if that matters.
    Think I'm going to try again later, on a fresh boot and game launch, because clearly something that's supposed to happen isn't.
    I can easily get to the "Square Enix Co., LTD", but I quickly die after that, somewhere around "Character Design". Not sure if this is a case of git gudder or technical issue....

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yes. And I've had the network corpses all throughout my playthrough, if that matters.
    Think I'm going to try again later, on a fresh boot and game launch, because clearly something that's supposed to happen isn't.
    I can easily get to the "Square Enix Co., LTD", but I quickly die after that, somewhere around "Character Design". Not sure if this is a case of git gudder or technical issue....
    RE: the network corpses all throughout the game that is not what is relevant here.

Sounds like something technical broke or your connection got interrupted just long enough somewhere. Weird.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    RE: the network corpses all throughout the game that is not what is relevant here.

Sounds like something technical broke or your connection got interrupted just long enough somewhere. Weird.

Yeah, I think the thing happened for me within 5 or 6 attempts? It's definitely odd. I actually never considered it requiring a network connection going though, which strikes me as a bad design choice but... hmm.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I have to assume it's technical, because the game should be, shall I say, initiating a dialog of sorts with you between deaths.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Tried again on a fresh boot of everything...
    The thing happened.
    Ending E spoilers
    Au revoir save data. I dunno if I should feel glad I paid it forward, or like an idiot for letting a game dialogue talk me into doing it. The messages seem real though, so I assume it's legit?

Senna1 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The thing happened.
    Ending E spoilers
    Au revoir save data. I dunno if I should feel glad I paid it forward, or like an idiot for letting a game dialogue talk me into doing it. The messages seem real though, so I assume it's legit?
    You did the right thing. Your save data will save others.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The thing happened.
    Ending E spoilers

Nier Automata Route E
    The messages are from real people. I don't think they'd ever let it zero out, so I'm unconvinced data is actually deleted when the helper ships die. If it was, a determined troll could ruin the ending for everyone. I think the theme is real and well told enough that I had to go through with the deletion.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The thing happened.
    Ending E spoilers

Nier Automata Route E
    The messages are from real people. I don't think they'd ever let it zero out, so I'm unconvinced data is actually deleted when the helper ships die. If it was, a determined troll could ruin the ending for everyone. I think the theme is real and well told enough that I had to go through with the deletion.
    Route E
    Banging off of it for over an hour earlier today due to a glitch humbled me to the point of realizing there is no way I would've beaten it solo. I had quite a few side quests and post-game stuff to potentially explore, but by my count I 'deleted' about 6 other people's data to get the ending.... so, yeah.
    Thanks for the encouragement earlier, everyone. I was real close to being on tilt with that last sequence...

Senna1 on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

Disappointing.

Unless you are a bullet hell god, you need to be connected to the network.

Spoiler if you really want to know:
    If you're connected, after a few tries you will be asked if you need help. If you accept, about five more players show up to fight with you.

edit: whoops, there was another page.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Hey @Senna1 about your playthrough.
    You reset Pascal's memory right? If you did, click the next spoiler layer (not that it reveals much).
    Did you happen to... run into Pascal again after that?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hey @Senna1 about your playthrough.
    You reset Pascal's memory right? If you did, click the next spoiler layer (not that it reveals much).
    Did you happen to... run into Pascal again after that?
    Yes, to #1, no on #2. Though I did notice him in ending D, after choosing for 9S to board the ark. I was planning on finishing off some remaining sidequest stuff after running through C/D/E, which... well. I'll likely start a new game at some point, but I'm still processing stuff ATM.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Ok, Question Time:

For real full game spoilers (Automata):
    1. Is the emergence of Adam and Eve the factor that breaks/broke the cycle? We know that 2B has killed 9S over and over again for accessing the secure data on the Bunker. Route A hides this from us, but 2B still winds up killing 9S due to the logic virus. Adam and Eve are treated as a novel occurrence, that neither 9S or 2B have encountered before. In Route B, we find out 9S HAS accessed the secure data after all, but the commander lets him walk away, to die at the hands of 2B. Only he doesn't die this time, as he's able to temporarily transfer his consciousness to the machine network. Presumably due to vulnerabilities left by the destruction of Adam and Eve. In Route C 9S is allowed to restore himself, complete with memories, to a proper body on the bunker - so I guess YoRHa/the Commander has just given up on the need to kill him (or believes it is futile given other events)? Instead, 9S is ordered to stay away from 2B, and support the offensive that kicks off Route C.
    2. Related: at what point has the backdoor virus corrupted the bunker? 2B and 9S become aware of it in dramatic fashion when they confront the Commander early in Route C - but 21O's odd behavioral changes towards 9S, in particular, suggest something is wrong/different well before that. And, of course, there's the Commander's change in policy regarding 9S' access to TS data...
    3. Which builds to the final question: How much of all of this is simply orchestrated by the advanced machine lifeform consciousness encountered in the tower? They appear to at least KNOW all of the secrets behind YoRHa, and simply allow them to exist/do their thing as selective pressure towards their own evolution (which seems to have worked, based on Adam & Eve popping into existence). Are they pulling the strings, or simply taking advantage of events already in motion?

Edit: Annnd I just found the English reading of the concert scripts that the original VAs for 2B/9S did with a few other folks... That explains a lot. and makes
    9S so much more tragic... he (his prototype at least) did it to himself

The game also clearly has a fixation on twins/duality, which I feel like I haven't fully worked out yet, but there's clearly something there between the Red ghost twins and Devola/Popola.
    I also don't quite get the Devola/Popola persecution story. If the wider group of androids isn't even aware that humanity is extinct, let alone extinct due to something other D/P units did, what is there to persecute them for?? It's a heartbreaking story beat, but I feel like the game is tripping over itself a bit here just for the sake of, "OMG, tragedy, aren't you sad???"

Senna1 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Ok, Question Time:

1. Is the emergence of Adam and Eve the factor that breaks/broke the cycle? We know that 2B has killed 9S over and over again for accessing the secure data on the Bunker. Route A hides this from us, but 2B still winds up killing 9S due to the logic virus. Adam and Eve are treated as a novel occurrence, that neither 9S or 2B have encountered before. In Route B, we find out 9S HAS accessed the secure data after all, but the commander lets him walk away, to die at the hands of 2B. Only he doesn't die this time, as he's able to temporarily transfer his consciousness to the machine network. Presumably due to vulnerabilities left by the destruction of Adam and Eve. In Route C 9S is allowed to restore himself, complete with memories, to a proper body on the bunker - so I guess YoRHa/the Commander has just given up on the need to kill him (or believes it is futile given other events)? Instead, 9S is ordered to stay away from 2B, and support the offensive that kicks off Route C.
    2. Related: at what point has the backdoor virus corrupted the bunker? 2B and 9S become aware of it in dramatic fashion when they confront the Commander early in Route C - but 21O's odd behavioral changes towards 9S, in particular, suggest something is wrong/different well before that. And, of course, there's the Commander's change in policy regarding 9S' access to TS data...
    3. Which builds to the final question: How much of all of this is simply orchestrated by the advanced machine lifeform consciousness encountered in the tower? They appear to at least KNOW all of the secrets behind YoRHa, and simply allow them to exist/do their thing as selective pressure towards their own evolution (which seems to have worked, based on Adam & Eve popping into existence). Are they pulling the strings, or simply taking advantage of events already in motion?

Edit: Annnd I just found the English reading of the concert scripts that the original VAs for 2B/9S did with a few other folks... That explains a lot. and makes

The game also clearly has a fixation on twins/duality, which I feel like I haven't fully worked out yet, but there's clearly something there between the Red ghost twins and Devola/Popola.
    I also don't quite get the Devola/Popola persecution story. If the wider group of androids isn't even aware that humanity is extinct, let alone extinct due to something other D/P units did, what is there to persecute them for?? It's a heartbreaking story beat, but I feel like the game is tripping over itself a bit here just for the sake of, "OMG, tragedy, aren't you sad???"
    Humanity existing on the moon is something that was revealed to the androids later. Humanity was extinct to them for tens of thousands of years, almost the entire machine war. Only when Yorha was created was the lie told to them that some humans were "alive on the moon". So they'd been persecuting Devola and Popola for the original "crime" of allowing the Shadowlord from Nier to be killed by the protagonist of Nier 1, dooming Project Gestault and thus humanity. Just because they find out some of humanity is on the moon doesn't mean that original crime stopped existing. They'd been persecuting them for eons by that point. Androids are created after humanity. What would humans do in that case? Answer: keep on persecuting baby! Why stop now?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ok, Question Time:

Humanity existing on the moon is something that was revealed to the androids later. Humanity was extinct to them for tens of thousands of years, almost the entire machine war. Only when Yorha was created was the lie told to them that some humans were "alive on the moon". So they'd been persecuting Devola and Popola for the original "crime" of allowing the Shadowlord from Nier to be killed by the protagonist of Nier 1, dooming Project Gestault and thus humanity. Just because they find out some of humanity is on the moon doesn't mean that original crime stopped existing. They'd been persecuting them for eons by that point. Androids are created after humanity. What would humans do in that case? Answer: keep on persecuting baby! Why stop now?
    Well, humans (that is to say, the Replicants) were still around for some time after the events of Nier 1. Killing the Shadowlord didn't outright kill everyone off; it was a slow decline without the Gestalt program in place to help the Replicants reproduce. Even so, the failure of Project Gestalt would have been known to the androids.

• Options
    I think I'm satisfied.

Came into Neir:A completely blind, other than a general recommendation that it was an underappreciated action RPG with bullet hell sequences that somehow made that work.

And got a lot more. This was a Really Good Game, people. Guess most of you already know that.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ok, Question Time:

Well, humans (that is to say, the Replicants) were still around for some time after the events of Nier 1. Killing the Shadowlord didn't outright kill everyone off; it was a slow decline without the Gestalt program in place to help the Replicants reproduce. Even so, the failure of Project Gestalt would have been known to the androids.
    Considering the timescales we are talking about their gradual decline is basically a blip post Nier 1 followed by almost ten thousand years until N:A starts.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I think I'm satisfied.

Came into Neir:A completely blind, other than a general recommendation that it was an underappreciated action RPG with bullet hell sequences that somehow made that work.

And got a lot more. This was a Really Good Game, people. Guess most of you already know that.

If you've never tried the original game, the Nier Replicant remake/remaster/whatever it ends up being that will come out in a few months time should also be very good. As someone who played the previous version to death, my main question for that is what, if any, new content will appear in it.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I played Nier 1 once. All endings. Then I didn't want to play it again.

Not because it was bad.

I just didn't want to overwrite my memories.

So I'm super torn on whether I'm going to get the remake. Also it's not paper Nier so it's already inferior.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I played Nier 1 once. All endings. Then I didn't want to play it again.

Not because it was bad.

I just didn't want to overwrite my memories.

So I'm super torn on whether I'm going to get the remake. Also it's not paper Nier so it's already inferior.

Nier/Drakengard have alternate world lines hard baked into the setting. So Papa and Brother Nier are both canon (and in fact, there are weapons that reference both of them in other games). I do wish for the ability to choose either for the more definitive version, but that's not the make or break for me. The make or break is if there's anything new or substantially revised to it. I would be shocked if the weapon stories from the companion book aren't in the game proper this time, but that alone isn't enough to pay full price again (for me).

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The gameplay is being remade in consultation with platinum devs so it's not just the old game with a slapped on coat of paint.

YokoTaro FINALLY dropped new NieR Replicant infos!

-It's "much more" than a remaster
    -Gameplay has been reworked to please Automata fans
    -PlatinumGames staff helping
    -They want everything to feel "new" and more polished
    -Camera work stays the same
    -New VAs performances

9s and 2b voice actors are involved.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I think I'm satisfied.

If you've never tried the original game, the Nier Replicant remake/remaster/whatever it ends up being that will come out in a few months time should also be very good. As someone who played the previous version to death, my main question for that is what, if any, new content will appear in it.

I haven't, and it's on my list for sure now. I know some of the plot from the connections to Automata, but I suspect there's a lot more there.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    New Replicant Gameplay showing off Barren Temple

https://youtu.be/Ejvgt9zh23c

Yeah ok I don't remember the sword having those sweet ass attack animations.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Well, they've got Platinum helping with this one too, right?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2021
    New Replicant Gameplay showing off Barren Temple

https://youtu.be/Ejvgt9zh23c

Yeah ok I don't remember the sword having those sweet ass attack animations.

It's surreal hearing young Nier in English... but at least they seem to have gotten O'Brien and Bailey back.

Wow, the new OST is... something. It sounds like a completely different song.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Well, they've got Platinum helping with this one too, right?

Yes, they're consulting. Which I usually take as "well they said stuff it depends on if they actually listened" but they seem to have listened, so I am pleased.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Tweet from Dan Olsen
    Yoko Taro: True humans do not exist, no person is more "true" than another, and genocide is the inevitable end point of allowing purity myths to take root in culture

Also Yoko Taro: dat ass
    This is pretty much it, yes.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Not sure if that's the original Popola/Devola, but the rest are returners(apart from Nier of course).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Not sure if that's the original Popola/Devola, but the rest are returners(apart from Nier of course).

It is, yeah. Some googling suggests she was credited under a different name but Eden has been Popola/Devola for both games and now this one.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Don't know if this is the right thread to talk about Nier: Replicant but all the reviews for that in my newsfeed today got me looking at Automata and I found these two world books which look sexy as hell:

https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-1/dp/150671031X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=nier+strategy+guide&qid=1619214216&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-2/dp/1506715753/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nier+strategy+guide&qid=1619214216&sr=8-1

I am sorely tempted to snatch both of these up and the GoTY edition of Automata before they all vanish and dive into this and Replicant. I think I'm gonna play the demo of Automata this weekend and go from there. Anyone picked up the new release yet?

• Options
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right thread to talk about Nier: Replicant but all the reviews for that in my newsfeed today got me looking at Automata and I found these two world books which look sexy as hell:

https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-1/dp/150671031X/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=nier+strategy+guide&qid=1619214216&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/NieR-Automata-World-Guide-2/dp/1506715753/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nier+strategy+guide&qid=1619214216&sr=8-1

I am sorely tempted to snatch both of these up and the GoTY edition of Automata before they all vanish and dive into this and Replicant. I think I'm gonna play the demo of Automata this weekend and go from there. Anyone picked up the new release yet?

We've been posting about it above. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think I have those two books still sitting in the plastic bag they came in from the shop on my bookshelf. Really should read them.

edit: I should have clicked the links first, I actually have two Automata fiction books, not strategy guides.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I really want to like Nier Automata. Its aesthetic is right up my alley, shmup + RPG is basically like speedballing for me, and the plot seems cool. But I find the game to be almost broken and find myself wondering if anyone actually playtested it or what. There's a series of design flaws which could easily have been corrected but combine to severely worsen the experience.

1. Normal mode is silly easy. Okay, fine. Very Hard sounds masochistic and awful, so switch to...

2. Hard mode. It is balanced weird. Everything basically 2 shots you, occasionally 1 shotting you, at least for most of your first path through the game. This is a huge jump from normal, and can be pretty frustrating, but isn't necessarily game ruining in and of itself. Just an odd and sorta extreme way to design a hard mode. Since you die hilariously easily, you are forced to use...

3. Dodge. What the hell were they thinking with this game's dodge? It's, like, all iframes with no need to pause in between. This has got to be the most broken dodge mechanic I've ever encountered in a game. But you're kind of encouraged to spam it to survive on anything above normal. If you do somehow get hit and it doesn't 1 shot you, it actually doesn't matter, because you can just use...

4. Items. Healing items are broken. It's always weird to me when a game can't figure this one out. Kingdom Hearts, FF7 Remake, Bloodborne, traditional turn based JRPGs; all manage to incorporate healing items without breaking the game (typically by making them cost time to use, sometimes in addition to other limitations). Nier Automata gives you billions of powerful healing items that you can use at no cost whenever you want. If you want this game to be an actual game where you can win or lose, rather than an interactive movie, you have to restrict yourself from using items, at least in fights.

It frustrates me because this game feels like it was a few choices away from being a masterpiece but instead ends up being... okay. At least so far; nearing the end of the first route, so maybe I'll come to feel differently during the second.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Wow, that's a hell of a collector's edition.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The dodge is designed for the game, as you have discovered. It throws a lot of things at you. If you get hit, it's your fault.

Nier 1 was famous for its bullet hell mechanics, and they wanted to go bigger and bolder with this, more things on screen, more bullet hell spectacle, which just wouldn't work with a standard dodge.

There's also some fights later that you will cause you to be extremely glad the dodge mechanic is the way it is.

Items is a user choice. Use them or don't, it's up to you. They didn't want this game to be playable only by the super skilled, it's designed for mass market appeal, not just action combat enthusiasts. So it lets you tailer your difficulty based not just on difficulty selection, but how many items you want to use as well. (Gear also, you can completely break the game with the right loadouts, again, completely deliberate)

Neither are design flaws, per se, in that they are unintended oversights. They are deliberate reasons for them, and likely contributed to its success. People who don't even usually like action games could press buttons and feel like they did something rewarding, without feeling like they have to grind up healing to get through fights.

DMC it is not, and was never trying to be.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Kaputa wrote: »
    I really want to like Nier Automata. Its aesthetic is right up my alley, shmup + RPG is basically like speedballing for me, and the plot seems cool. But I find the game to be almost broken and find myself wondering if anyone actually playtested it or what. There's a series of design flaws which could easily have been corrected but combine to severely worsen the experience.

1. Normal mode is silly easy. Okay, fine. Very Hard sounds masochistic and awful, so switch to...

2. Hard mode. It is balanced weird. Everything basically 2 shots you, occasionally 1 shotting you, at least for most of your first path through the game. This is a huge jump from normal, and can be pretty frustrating, but isn't necessarily game ruining in and of itself. Just an odd and sorta extreme way to design a hard mode. Since you die hilariously easily, you are forced to use...

3. Dodge. What the hell were they thinking with this game's dodge? It's, like, all iframes with no need to pause in between. This has got to be the most broken dodge mechanic I've ever encountered in a game. But you're kind of encouraged to spam it to survive on anything above normal. If you do somehow get hit and it doesn't 1 shot you, it actually doesn't matter, because you can just use...

4. Items. Healing items are broken. It's always weird to me when a game can't figure this one out. Kingdom Hearts, FF7 Remake, Bloodborne, traditional turn based JRPGs; all manage to incorporate healing items without breaking the game (typically by making them cost time to use, sometimes in addition to other limitations). Nier Automata gives you billions of powerful healing items that you can use at no cost whenever you want. If you want this game to be an actual game where you can win or lose, rather than an interactive movie, you have to restrict yourself from using items, at least in fights.

It frustrates me because this game feels like it was a few choices away from being a masterpiece but instead ends up being... okay. At least so far; nearing the end of the first route, so maybe I'll come to feel differently during the second.

Automata is what you get when you polish Nier's gameplay to a fine sheen, for better or for worse. I don't feel like the world design, atmosphere, or story is nearly as compelling as Nier's, though.

Also:

ooq5vugh7k5d.png
    etjhh3b5yaai.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm going to need some kind of sidequest guide for Replicant. They're already asking me for a bunch of materials that I have no idea where to get, and I don't know when the cutoffs are for these quests. Fishing in particular seems kinda cryptic to me. Catching stuff is easy enough, but finding specific fish for quests seems problematic when there doesn't seem to be any NPCs who say anything useful.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    9-niersidequestchart.png

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I feel like I'm going to need some kind of sidequest guide for Replicant. They're already asking me for a bunch of materials that I have no idea where to get, and I don't know when the cutoffs are for these quests. Fishing in particular seems kinda cryptic to me. Catching stuff is easy enough, but finding specific fish for quests seems problematic when there doesn't seem to be any NPCs who say anything useful.

There are no cutoffs for the first half of the game, but once you reach a certain point, that's it for those quests.

wVEsyIc.png