As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Some streamers had been saying death Knight, but lately I’ve been hearing Inquisitor.

The official site has a silhouette for the 5th spot at the campfire, which appears to be at least somewhat robed with some chunky looking gauntlets.

Yeah a holy jackass seems like the more likely way to split the difference.

Remember Diablo already has Blood Knights (red eyes in full plate, maybe corrupted Tristram soldiers) and Death Knights (undead fighter/mages in the Chaos Sanctuary), so D4 would have to be real careful how they distinguish a dark magic plate guy from those demons, especially in the name.

Or it can just be a "special" one that broke the corruption (which would be super Blizzard writing) I feel like diablo has pretty free reign to invent things under the standard fantasy rationale of "a wizard did it."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think there is a real mystery that we're overlooking here.
    Will Diablo 4 finally reveal the purpose of the Chat Gem?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Some streamers had been saying death Knight, but lately I’ve been hearing Inquisitor.

The official site has a silhouette for the 5th spot at the campfire, which appears to be at least somewhat robed with some chunky looking gauntlets.

Remember Diablo already has Blood Knights (red eyes in full plate, maybe corrupted Tristram soldiers) and Death Knights (undead fighter/mages in the Chaos Sanctuary), so D4 would have to be real careful how they distinguish a dark magic plate guy from those demons, especially in the name.

Or it can just be a "special" one that broke the corruption (which would be super Blizzard writing) I feel like diablo has pretty free reign to invent things under the standard fantasy rationale of "a wizard did it."

I'm guessing literal demons or angels as player characters is a no-go for Diablo lore, they'll all be human. Humans using demon power is fine though.

Zek on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »

I'm guessing literal demons or angels as player characters is a no-go for Diablo lore, they'll all be human. Humans using demon power is fine though.

That was part of the Demon Hunter's schtick in Diablo 3, wasn't it?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Seems like Diablo 4 is specifically shying away from "specific" concepts though and hemming towards "generic." Like they've really broadened the Rogue concept from Sister of the Sightless Eye to literally whatever origin. Even something like the Crusader, elite Paladins sworn to find true Zakarum, seems too particular. So "Leoric's soldiers (or even random demons?) but one of them threw off their corruption" is really hyper specific.

I'm sure they can still figure out some dark magic fighter if they wanted, I'm just cautioning that it probably won't be literally the WoW class because it's just too close to what are established demons in the world of Sanctuary. I'd even go so far as to call the Blood Knights "iconic" (as seen entering the Chaos Sanctuary) and they have to be real careful not to replicate that kind of imagery IMO.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I always get a good chuckle when I play as a Necromancer and then I pick up the Crusader as my companion. He's talking about righteous vengeance and I'm over here like, "Hey, you going to use that corpse?".

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Speaking of followers!

I'm planning on playing a Necro in the next season. Seeing as the next season is the season of the follower, and followers are getting a big rework, is there any early indication from the PTR on which follower will be best for the necro? I'll probably be soloing the first night specifically to try out the new follower stuff.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Speaking of followers!

I'm planning on playing a Necro in the next season. Seeing as the next season is the season of the follower, and followers are getting a big rework, is there any early indication from the PTR on which follower will be best for the necro? I'll probably be soloing the first night specifically to try out the new follower stuff.

If you're going minions it's gotta be the Enchantress (at least at first) because you can give her your cast off +INT gear

If you're a non-minion necro the Templar's tanking abilities can close the gap on early squishiness but don't expect him to do much damage without +STR gear

Personally I'll eventually gamble some bows for the Scoundrel if I'm a minion necro - my skellys always look confused when their opponents turn into chickens :confused:

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You still can't have followers as part of a group, right?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Supposed to be, they didn't do nearly enough with it.

• Options
    Almost everything (potentially) interesting about the character classes was passed up for "Yer a Nephilim, Harry!"

Not that I disliked the Nephilim stuff, I think D3 is a decent chapter in the Diablo world, but it's got some definite gaps in defining much more than the Heaven and Hell conflict

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I agree that the Nephilim stuff goes on quite a bit in D3.

The other part of the story that always gets me is Deckard Cain's veneration of heroes. After a while dude started to creep me out. Once he died I hope he has that friend that will go and clear his hard drive.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    ZeroCow wrote: »

I always get a good chuckle when I play as a Necromancer and then I pick up the Crusader as my companion. He's talking about righteous vengeance and I'm over here like, "Hey, you going to use that corpse?".

Yeah, followers comments are good for a chuckle.
    "Let's fight more like that one!"
    "You idiot! That son of a bitch just killed us both 3 times before we managed to kite it around enough to kill it. And then it exploded and killed you again."

• Options
    *Spawns Elites using Nemesis Bracers*
    *Shadow Clone explodes all Elites in a nanosecond*
    Templar: "I'll be telling that story for a while!"
    Me: "Dude we couldn't even see them before they became loot!"

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Finished the season! Necro set dungeons are the best, I barely had to de-gear or anything

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    This new firebird looks interesting

I don't know how I feel about the follower changes. I mean, they are good. No doubt. But you get zero benefit when playing multiplayer. And next season... has no theme other than the follower changes? So its a single player season?

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    To be fair, after the first week they're basically all single player seasons any more it feels like

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah that's pretty true unfortunately

• Options
    I usually don't have a problem finding people on Switch as long as I'm looking in the more common settings (Adventure mode, Normal or Torment 1/6/16)

Can't say that finding people for story mode or conquests or whatever is easy though

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Opening weekend Diablo is best Diablo.

TMH 110s a week later is great too, but gets too sporadic. Maybe we could collectively hold interest longer by coordinating through the underused discord channel?

Where I just got made-you-look’ed by @Bartholamue

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    On the rare occasion that these seasons have something interesting going on, I don't really feel the need to push myself very far anymore, got so many other games to play and grinding out 1000 paragon levels and trying for primal gear drops that are relevant just don't much do it for me.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, my goal next season is just to complete one or more Necro builds and put the class through its paces a bit.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I can make it as far as completing the whole season journey, and making sure to try out any of the new big changes...but that's about it. I never really enjoyed too much high GR pushing solo, and never got to try anything but higher-ish GR farming in a group.

I've been happy to stick around to do things with others for the company for a while, but with (practically) no one sticking around long that doesn't really last. Anyone who does ends up being on a quite different time schedule than me.

Still, it's a fun couple weeks every season at least.

• Options
    This will be the first time I have played at the start of a season. I just started playing a couple of months ago. Buckeye_Bert on PSN if anyone else is playing on that. 🙂

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My Necro finally got all the important pieces for the Masquerade bone spear build and it’s like night and day compared to the piecemeal summoning build.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Season 23 post up: 4/2

The haedrigs rotation is indeed changed, so it will be Wastes, Roland, UE, Raiment, Rathma, Helltooth, and Tal’s.

Changes:
    - shorter duration on scoundrels crit fog
    - nebulous animation speed change of wiz tele (faster?)
    - LotD invincibility necro seems to be fixed

- more Rat 2pc procs, and now mentions permanent minions. Numbers adjusted to seemingly account for golem, while excluding mages.
    - new bracers changed to increase Army damage and double the effect against the target(s) of command skeletons.

Firebirds expectedly nerfed, about 14-15 tiers of damage down from easy mode 150s. Should still be good, but unfortunately looks like it will be YET ANOTHER deathwish build (in GRs) with mirror images doing all the blades dmg for you. -_-

Hungering arrow pierces increased again to 4, so pretty good walking back of the GoD DH nerf.

Noggin on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Season 23 post up: 4/2

The haedrigs rotation is indeed changed, so it will be Wastes, Roland, UE, Raiment, Rathma, Helltooth, and Tal’s.

Changes:
    - shorter duration on scoundrels crit fog
    - nebulous animation speed change of wiz tele (faster?)
    - LotD invincibility necro seems to be fixed

- more Rat 2pc procs, and now mentions permanent minions. Numbers adjusted to seemingly account for golem, while excluding mages.
    - new bracers changed to increase Army damage and double the effect against the target(s) of command skeletons.

Firebirds expectedly nerfed, about 14-15 tiers of damage down from easy mode 150s. Should still be good, but unfortunately looks like it will be YET ANOTHER deathwish build (in GRs) with mirror images doing all the blades dmg for you. -_-

Hungering arrow pierces increased again to 4, so pretty good walking back of the GoD DH nerf.

Like the walking back Hungering Arrow a bit.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Ya I think I heard it’s actually even better for speeds now with the 6pc buff, and I think less fishy for pushing since you won’t need missile dampeners.

Might be DH time again!

• Options
    I just realized that the end of the season is this coming Sunday and the new season starting on the Friday after that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Are Nephalim rifts always this generous at the end of a season?
    rt6k2z3llf38.png
    72rnec3em4rh.png
    hpj4dx9s2veu.png
    4cxeeh8c2qbl.png
    bk988xdp7ea5.png
    i211kxjpk0q9.png

and that's not even the full log

There was probably over 40 goblins in this rift.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    rt6k2z3llf38.png
    72rnec3em4rh.png
    hpj4dx9s2veu.png
    4cxeeh8c2qbl.png
    bk988xdp7ea5.png
    i211kxjpk0q9.png

Holy cow!!! That is awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Wife and I dropped into a rift that had a room with 6 treasure goblins. I was furious that any of them got away (they're almost always Priority 1 targets)

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    rt6k2z3llf38.png
    72rnec3em4rh.png
    hpj4dx9s2veu.png
    4cxeeh8c2qbl.png
    bk988xdp7ea5.png
    i211kxjpk0q9.png

Holy cow!!! That is awesome.

It was two massive groups, and then a couple of scattered pairs in later floors

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Looks like you found a Goblin Rift

I’ve come across a goblin rift only once, but yes they do exist

• Options
    I’m torn between doing something with an interesting LoD opener since it’s a nice change of pace, where you can kinda ignore the journey starting out... or blasting right into it with UE or Tals.

Maybe back to wiz after all, they have some LoD options.

• Options
    I’m torn between doing something with an interesting LoD opener since it’s a nice change of pace, where you can kinda ignore the journey starting out... or blasting right into it with UE or Tals.

Do a 180 and go WD.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Hoping I can play with people this round, will probably go wizard again.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Anyone else going to be trying out Magic Legends which goes open beta today? Hopefully it'll give me something fun to play until D2R is released.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Hoping I can play with people this round, will probably go wizard again.

When I spot you online in MWO I need to ping you so we can get you added to the PA group. My mind does not remember the PA chat thing that everybody can see and add you the night of the new season, or next day... Either way it is easier to get groups in the green chat thing than the brown chat thing. Yeah, I can't remember any of the correct terminology right now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Incindium wrote: »
    Anyone else going to be trying out Magic Legends which goes open beta today? Hopefully it'll give me something fun to play until D2R is released.

I’d not heard of it, but that camera rotation weirds me out. That’s like, against the rules or something!

I’ve been hearing about Last Epoch again, which also seems promising, but looks to still be early access for quite a while.
    Betsuni wrote: »

Do a 180 and go WD.

Spirit Barrage can be fun! But the rest of the class... oof. Feels like you have to work harder but also make less progress.

The multi-leaderboard has me thinking about this a bit differently.... might be fun to try to push with more than one set/LoD.

Noggin on
This discussion has been closed.