Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Chicken thighs are still cheaper than breast meat, at least

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Skirt steak also has the ability to absorb marinades, so it has usefulness that other cuts don't.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Basically the foodie trend spread word around about all the "cheap" cuts of meat. This caused all of those cuts to rocket up in price because everyone in the meat industry noticed people actually wanted those chunks now. Basic supply and demand.

It makes a ton of recipes from even only like 10 years ago kinda annoying in terms of advice. Tons of talk about "affordable meals" that now involve some of the priciest cuts of meat you can find.

shryke on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well i gotta learn what order to stir fry a pile of veggies in real fast... there should be an app for i have x,y,z, when do i throw it in the pan

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    well i gotta learn what order to stir fry a pile of veggies in real fast... there should be an app for i have x,y,z, when do i throw it in the pan

order doesn't really matter.

I just do them in batches and take them out otherwise the later ones just won't cook. Then add them all in at the end when the sauce gets added

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i like to just parboil the veggies first

harder ones anyway, you don't want to par boil anything that will cook thoroughly in a couple minutes

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I tend to cook my mushrooms first, get them good and cooked down.

After that, it goes on what cooks longer. Carrots go in before corn kernels, for instance.

But yeah, depends on your end goals

And how much time you want to spend, really.

If your veg are all roughly the same size, you could get away with all at once. But the higher density tends to go first for me

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    For mushrooms the trick from this ATK video is golden:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLPLCmwBLBY

The TooLongDidn'tWatch is chuck them in the pan with some water and cook them till the water is all gone. This will collapse the mushrooms which prevents them from sucking up oil during the rest of the cooking process. At that point you can basically do whatever the fuck you want with them. Throw in a little oil to fry them and it will all stay on the surface and help them brown instead of getting sucked up into the mushrooms. You can even take them out and brown them later if you want. And it only takes like 5 minutes or so to steam them like that.

shryke on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Basically the foodie trend spread word around about all the "cheap" cuts of meat. This caused the price of all of those cuts to rocket up in price because everyone in the meat industry noticed people actually wanted those chunks now. Basic supply and demand.

It makes a ton of recipes from even only like 10 years ago kinda annoying in terms of advice. Tons of talk about "affordable meals" that now involve some of the priciest cuts of meat you can find.

This is my personal favorite budget cookery course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_f8VBy9KM

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Basically the foodie trend spread word around about all the "cheap" cuts of meat. This caused all of those cuts to rocket up in price because everyone in the meat industry noticed people actually wanted those chunks now. Basic supply and demand.

Skirt steak had demand shoot up before that just because it's the commonly used meat in fajita recipes. I can still find it at a decent price in some stores but not many.
    Basically the foodie trend spread word around about all the "cheap" cuts of meat. This caused the price of all of those cuts to rocket up in price because everyone in the meat industry noticed people actually wanted those chunks now. Basic supply and demand.

Living in another country is going to drastically change what's affordable too. Lamb is way more available in many other countries that aren't as gungho about cows and chickens as the US and the cut used is a slice of the leg so also not as costly as one of the lamb chop cuts.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I've tried getting into chicken thighs multiple times, but I still prefer breast meat. Just something about the taste/texture/mouth feel of the thigh meat rubs me the wrong way. Wish I liked it, tho, because it's definitely cheaper.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    We took 2 portions of deer backstrap/loin, added butter, a sprinkle of ranch mix, and some au jus mix, and pepperoncinis. Best non-beef Mississippi Pot Roast I've had. The meat didn't dry out at all, despite being extremely lean.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

I've tried getting into chicken thighs multiple times, but I still prefer breast meat. Just something about the taste/texture/mouth feel of the thigh meat rubs me the wrong way. Wish I liked it, tho, because it's definitely cheaper.

Thighs can definitely take a bit more heat than the rest of the bird. I usually try to cook it well done (165-170F) to help with that slimy texture.

• Options

Living in another country is going to drastically change what's affordable too. Lamb is way more available in many other countries that aren't as gungho about cows and chickens as the US and the cut used is a slice of the leg so also not as costly as one of the lamb chop cuts.

The saffron is what really makes it hilarious.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

Thighs can definitely take a bit more heat than the rest of the bird. I usually try to cook it well done (165-170F) to help with that slimy texture.

I think I have some thigh left in the freezer from the last time I tried working with it. I'll give that a shot next time I try a recipe that calls for thighs.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular

You should probably be getting them to 74C / 165F anyway because, speaking from personal experience, salmonella poisoning is not in the slightest bit fun.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote: »

You should probably be getting them to 74C / 165F anyway because, speaking from personal experience, salmonella poisoning is not in the slightest bit fun.

That temperature is where salmonella dies instantly. You can safely cook food borne bacteria out at lower temperatures you just need to keep it elevated for a little longer.

http://www.foodprotect.org/issues/packets/2012packet/attachments/iii_018__all.pdf

Not that I am at all interested in medium-rare chicken, but salmonella is not an issue if core temp of your meat has been above 150F for more than a minute. I did pork chops in my sous vide last night at 140F with no concern since it was in there for almost two hours. Meant to take a picture and post since they were fantastic but...they were half gone before i remembered.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I found out I'm buying 1/12th of a cow in a couple months. You know...that's probably not as much as I think it will be.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I found out I'm buying 1/12th of a cow in a couple months. You know...that's probably not as much as I think it will be.

Google says you get about 500lbs of cut meat from a 1200lb (average) animal, so your 1/12th would be like 42lbs of beef.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

Google says you get about 500lbs of cut meat from a 1200lb (average) animal, so your 1/12th would be like 42lbs of beef.

I stand corrected, that's a lot of meat wow.

I already called dibs on the face cuts and asked about the bones and fat.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    dood i don't know if you know this but cows are pretty big and mostly made of beef

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    dood i don't know if you know this but cows are pretty big and mostly made of beef

I'm not big into steaks so this is all news to me.

Oh man...I should also make sure we can get some beef ribs. I love beef ribs.

I like to ART
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I would love to be able to get in on a cowshare, unfortunately not really a thing in the Czech Republic.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

Thing is about 50% of that is ground meat. So hopefully you like cheeseburgers/chili/etc.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

Thing is about 50% of that is ground meat. So hopefully you like cheeseburgers/chili/etc.

why is that?

I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I imagine that being that much closer to Spain makes Spanish saffron a lot more affordable. Though even here on the east coast I can pick up enough saffron for a few dishes from Trader Joe's at a pretty cheap price. My real source is a Persian market though. It's owned by the same family that runs a Persian restaurant next door and you have to ask for the saffron at the counter. The fact that the price is extremely competitive, the label on the bag contains no English text, and it's still real saffron all make me suspect the family just picks up a bunch to bring back in their suitcases during visits to Iran.

I do think people play up saffron's expense a bit though. It's expensive compared to other spices of course but unless you're cooking dishes that use it every single day a small amount is going to last a person a really long time. A few threads is enough for most uses.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited March 2021

I found the same thing happened when I would get a whole lamb.

It was 2 legs, and then the rest was 1/4 chops, 1/4 steak, 1/8 stew meat, and then the rest ground

Kamiro on
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

I found the same thing happened when I would get a whole lamb.

It was 2 legs, and then the rest was 1/4 chops, 1/4 steak, 1/8 stew meat, and then the rest ground

this is basically because the option after all the cuts are made is a pile of scraps or ground meat

• Options
    I'd rather have the scraps, scraps are useful for all kinds of stuff!

I like to ART
  • Options

"You're telling me actually would have preferred all the odd bits intact?"
    "Yes."
    "What would you do with the tail?"
    "It would have been great for stock."
    "And the lower legs that don't have much meat?"
    "Maybe jerky."
    "And the head?"
    "Well duh. I'd mount it on a cairn to hasten the coming of the sixth age."
    ". . . and the neck?"
    "More stock."

Steam Profile
  • Options
    just make a satchel of ground beef in cheesecloth and boil it to make stock

• Options

I imagine that being that much closer to Spain makes Spanish saffron a lot more affordable. Though even here on the east coast I can pick up enough saffron for a few dishes from Trader Joe's at a pretty cheap price. My real source is a Persian market though. It's owned by the same family that runs a Persian restaurant next door and you have to ask for the saffron at the counter. The fact that the price is extremely competitive, the label on the bag contains no English text, and it's still real saffron all make me suspect the family just picks up a bunch to bring back in their suitcases during visits to Iran.

I do think people play up saffron's expense a bit though. It's expensive compared to other spices of course but unless you're cooking dishes that use it every single day a small amount is going to last a person a really long time. A few threads is enough for most uses.

I mean, it's more amusing then anything. Especially with the difference in prices between here and there since I assume lamb is way cheaper in the UK whereas up here it's a speciality meat commanding speciality prices. It's just pretty funny from a north american perspective, as basically all the videos comments note, that the cheap meals video starts with lamb and saffron.

But if you really want to examine it closely, the bigger cost there after the meat is all the other ingredients imo. The little add-ins that are what make the dish. But those things have to be bought in much larger quantities then you use in a single recipe and then stored and are you gonna use them again? It's a long term investment in ingredients you may find out you don't even like. Saffron is in many ways the most obvious example of that. That shit is very expensive comparatively. The container it's sold in is like 3x the price of the other spices next to it in similar containers. (weight varies per container obviously) It's the same kind of thing you run in to anytime you wanna start trying out a different cuisine.

• Options

"You're telling me actually would have preferred all the odd bits intact?"
    "Yes."
    "What would you do with the tail?"
    "It would have been great for stock."
    "And the lower legs that don't have much meat?"
    "Maybe jerky."
    "And the head?"
    "Well duh. I'd mount it on a cairn to hasten the coming of the sixth age."
    ". . . and the neck?"
    "More stock."

I wonder if I can get them to throw in the bones as well since I make stock with whatever bones I get from the lamb normally anyway.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The good news is that stir frying wasn't that hard in the end. the big issue was that at points i had the pan entirely full and could definitely use a big wok for future attempts.

i guess the next step is learning how to make my own sauce. the bottle stuff is very sweet even cutting it a bit and my family always made a really nice stir fry sauce so I'm gonna have to figure out that recipe by calling my mother.

• Options

I mean, it's more amusing then anything. Especially with the difference in prices between here and there since I assume lamb is way cheaper in the UK whereas up here it's a speciality meat commanding speciality prices. It's just pretty funny from a north american perspective, as basically all the videos comments note, that the cheap meals video starts with lamb and saffron.

But if you really want to examine it closely, the bigger cost there after the meat is all the other ingredients imo. The little add-ins that are what make the dish. But those things have to be bought in much larger quantities then you use in a single recipe and then stored and are you gonna use them again? It's a long term investment in ingredients you may find out you don't even like. Saffron is in many ways the most obvious example of that. That shit is very expensive comparatively. The container it's sold in is like 3x the price of the other spices next to it in similar containers. (weight varies per container obviously) It's the same kind of thing you run in to anytime you wanna start trying out a different cuisine.

I think a big part of deciding whether you want to start trying to cook a different cuisine is to actually try it somewhere first. When I first stocked my spice pantry as I started to cook, a friend took me to an Indian market and mostly had me buy things for Indian food despite me not having much experience with it. I like it, but wasn't nearly as big a fan as she was. I use a lot of the stuff now in some other cooking styles but using up some of the pre-mixed spices is still ongoing 9 years later.

Stocking a spice pantry is one of the initial hurdles with cooking but once you've started you have a lot of ingredients at the ready. I've still got most of my saffron years later (in an airtight container). It really does help to avoid picking up spices and dried herbs from a western supermarket though. I restock from a Penzey's spice shop, usually picking the biggest bag size available. When I helped a friend stock his kitchen the other week, I met him at a Korean market and picked out a mix of bagged products and stuff in really large plastic shakers. Either method avoids the cost of the tiny glass shaker supermarket spices come in that is a significant part of the cost.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm thinking the offal superfans are getting a bit jittery that their spot gets blown up next.

(I can't decide whether Hannibal helps or hurts their cause...)

dennis on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus

After that, it goes on what cooks longer. Carrots go in before corn kernels, for instance.

If your veg are all roughly the same size, you could get away with all at once. But the higher density tends to go first for me

there is a cool mushroom technique where you shallow-boil mushrooms with a little oil or butter, and just keep them cooking after the water boils off until they're well-browned. It really teases out great mushroom flavor, especially on white/ button mushrooms (which often don't have a lot of flavor)

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The good news is that stir frying wasn't that hard in the end. the big issue was that at points i had the pan entirely full and could definitely use a big wok for future attempts.

i guess the next step is learning how to make my own sauce. the bottle stuff is very sweet even cutting it a bit and my family always made a really nice stir fry sauce so I'm gonna have to figure out that recipe by calling my mother.

all you really need is soy sauce, mirin (sweet rice wine), sesame oil, and red pepper flakes and garlic, or a garlic-chili mix

after that you can add brown sugar to get to the sweetness level you want if you don't get enough from the mirin

corn starch to thicken if needed

anything beyond that is just adding more flavor complexity if you want to

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

there is a cool mushroom technique where you shallow-boil mushrooms with a little oil or butter, and just keep them cooking after the water boils off until they're well-browned. It really teases out great mushroom flavor, especially on white/ button mushrooms (which often don't have a lot of flavor)

Will have to try that some time. It sounds like the reverse method for doing pan-fried dumplings.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Irond Will wrote: »

Sounds like basically the same thing I mentioned above. Basically steaming the mushrooms in a pan until all the water boils off to deflate them and then you keep going with a little fat for browning.

shryke on