As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is science badass? The data is positive.

• Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    Wallhitter wrote: »
    Einstein would roll over in his grave. God not only plays dice, the dice are loaded.

Ha ha ha, that is great

What transpires beyond the event horizon of a black hole? Decent people shouldn't ask about such things.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    This is my new favorite thread. But honestly guys, that jet pack thing is like the sexiest thing I've seen in a long time. I was watching that video and my jaw literally just dropped at about the 3-minute mark. I had no idea how to process it.

It's a man... FLYING.

You think some shitdick in a lab coat designed/built it, though?

Engineers are the unsung heroes of this thread emot-911.gif

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    lg_engineer%20_poster.jpg

http://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/frame.html?main=/articles/art0220.html?

Article discussing feasibility of foglet nanotech.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You know what bugs me?

People that can't tell the difference between "Yeah" and "Yea." Those people can go to Hell.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    VmikesmittyVmikesmitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That video about imagining the tenth dimension had the unfortunate ability of making me giggle uncontrollably.

Vmikesmitty on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man is not meant for flight. That "jet pack" is an affront to the Lord.

I think I've found my new sig.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4238/quickrunmh9.jpg

A little experiment I ran a few weeks ago to demonstrate natural selection to my class.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    1196731493177.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

that is quite possibly the finest picture I have ever seen.

well done.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

A little experiment I ran a few weeks ago to demonstrate natural selection to my class.

So normally those two strains would coexist, but because the 'normal' strain can't survive around the anti-bacterial stuff, the resistant strain dominates?

Oh hey skyboxes don't work through portals, huh.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    1185029717995.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That sidney uhh something guy who always seems to be the explosives expert for every national geographic/BBC documentary regarding explosives must have an awesome job. Anyone seen that BBC one with Richard Hammond about whether the gunpowder plot would've worked if they had gotten away with it?

L|ama on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BAD ASS SCIENCE MOTHER FUCKER
    docwest2.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

So normally those two strains would coexist, but because the 'normal' strain can't survive around the anti-bacterial stuff, the resistant strain dominates?

That happened in one of the dishes, but the fact that it took a few more days of delayed growth to start growing over the tabs in the others suggests that a mutation within the surrounding body had to occur first before it could start surviving. But yes, there is the normal strain, and the resistant strain.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BAD ASS SCIENCE MOTHER FUCKER
    docwest2.jpg

He doesn't get bottomed.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    They are all going in the OP

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    FlavabeanFlavabean Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The original TF 2 sniper.

Flavabean on
    newsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA5c4-GFpUM&NR=1

Real time eye tracking. Unfortunatly, you need a camera pointed at one eye, but, this would be totally badass to have a real time HUD, all Metroid Prime style.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Real time eye tracking. Unfortunatly, you need a camera pointed at one eye, but, this would be totally badass to have a real time HUD, all Metroid Prime style.

YOU HACKED MY EYES

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

YOU HACKED MY EYES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAELp7OjvEg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    man this thread comes at a excellent time. me and a mate are having a mad science house party tommorow night. everyone will be rocking labcoats and drinking cocktails from beakers.

if this threads still around on saturday afternoon ill see if i can upload some photos.

also does anyone have that SCIENCE! image with the two scientists with test tubes with an explosion in the background? it was in the last science thread.

matt on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    Ah the double slit experiment, this guy seems to favour the copenhagen interpretation which i was taught (that the observer causes the collapse into one way for the electron to behave), what is now gaining popularity and i've only done a tiny but of reading on (and i think i prefer) is the many worlds interpretation which is basically that the electron does go through both slits but basically the universe (yes the whole universe) splits so that both events can occur in different universes, thus there are an infinite number of universes and whenever you do anything every other possible reality exists in a different universe.
    It gets worse. Not only does observing which slit the electron goes through force it to only behave one way, but if you observe what happpened after it already has, e.g. with a high powered telescope from a long way away, then your act of observation in the future will actually affect the electron's behaviour in the present.

PaPa on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read it that way -every time-

Also, imagining the 10th Dimension:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

Ah yes, thank you, I've never been able to make heads or tails of higher-dimension stuff before.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Sword_of_LightSword_of_Light Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would be remiss if I didnt mention my son's new favorite scientist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Marvin

This guy is nuts - at first I thought he was an Ozie or a Kiwi, you know, another lunatic biologist like Steve Irwin? Nope - maddogs and Englishmen. This guy is an exceedingly hands-on British biologist who does crazy documentaries for The BBC and ITV. Things like swimming with great white sharks without a cage.

My son loves him for the Chased by Dinosaurs and Sea Monsters series, in which Marvin travels back in time to investigate various beasties like the Megalodon. The combination of his experience doing actual crazyass wildlife documentaries and some sweet computer animation makes these shows remarkably entertaining. I find myself watching as he 'swims' with a truck sized squid/molusk thing and thinking to myself 'If he actually could travel back in time, he'd actually be doing this. This guy is nuts.

Sword_of_Light on
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah those shows were great.

Especially cause hes a lunatic.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PaPa wrote: »
    FAQ wrote: »
    Ah the double slit experiment, this guy seems to favour the copenhagen interpretation which i was taught (that the observer causes the collapse into one way for the electron to behave), what is now gaining popularity and i've only done a tiny but of reading on (and i think i prefer) is the many worlds interpretation which is basically that the electron does go through both slits but basically the universe (yes the whole universe) splits so that both events can occur in different universes, thus there are an infinite number of universes and whenever you do anything every other possible reality exists in a different universe.
    It gets worse. Not only does observing which slit the electron goes through force it to only behave one way, but if you observe what happpened after it already has, e.g. with a high powered telescope from a long way away, then your act of observation in the future will actually affect the electron's behaviour in the present.

In the Copenhagen Interpretation, which I'm beginning to believe is wrong.

I'm still fuzzy on how The Many Worlds Interpretation accounts for the electron behaving differently when we view the electron as to when we don't, I mean obviously different things do happen but the whole point of Many Worlds was to remove the "power" of the observer defining uh... reality(?) by saying that the electron did actually go through both slits just in different universes, but why does this only occur when we observe, surely that's saying that our concious observtion has one hell of an impact on the universe. You know what I need to get a book on this because it's confusing the hell out of me

Man that is crazy about the telescope though

reality makes no sense whatsoever, the more I hear the more I believe that the whole universe is just magic

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    matt wrote: »
    man this thread comes at a excellent time. me and a mate are having a mad science house party tommorow night. everyone will be rocking labcoats and drinking cocktails from beakers.

if this threads still around on saturday afternoon ill see if i can upload some photos.

also does anyone have that SCIENCE! image with the two scientists with test tubes with an explosion in the background? it was in the last science thread.

my.php?image=cheersln1.gif

?

Also, yea, put up the photos when you have 'em ready.

Also, Quantum Entanglement confuses the living hell out of me. Object in two places at once? Information moving at infinite speeds? Or are both electrons just one object, with space giving the illusion of seperation?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

my.php?image=cheersln1.gif

?

Also, yea, put up the photos when you have 'em ready.

Also, Quantum Entanglement confuses the living hell out of me. Object in two places at once? Information moving at infinite speeds? Or are both electrons just one object, with space giving the illusion of seperation?

YES! thanks!

matt on
  • Options
    Cojo MojoCojo Mojo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cerrius wrote: »
    And you can do science.

High end science. Thanks to the fact that we're living in the future, you can do coolass shit like download remotely sensed information from Mars. Want a surface point map of Mars? Can do - you can download the data from the Mars Orbital Laser Altimeter. You want that in shapefile or e00? What resolution would you like it in? If you got the bandwidth, NASA got the data. I mean think about it - an object in orbit around Mars --> NASA --> your desktop.

When can we pilot Battlemechs is what I want to know.

Does a a spider mech doing anything for ya?
    I'm gonna have a giant spider nightmare now D:

Cojo Mojo on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Quantum entanglement, while cool, is not that mysterious. Say you take a 2 boxes, a red ball and a blue ball. You close your eyes, drop one ball in each box, close the box, go home with one of them, mail the other box to Tahiti, then open yours up, and see that it's red or blue. Guess what, you know the color of the ball in Tahiti. This is in basis what quantum entanglement is: 2 particles that are linked to each on some quantum number, but until you measure it, you don't know which one is which. You can do interesting stuff with it, but it can't be used to break the speed of light to transmit information.

There is some weird stuff with the statistics in measuring quantum states in different rotations, called Bell's theorem, in which QM behaves very much unlike classical physics (and common sense).

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You just collapsed my waveform.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008

mind if i use that line at the party? got any other good science related pickup lines?

matt on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Quantum entanglement, while cool, is not that mysterious. Say you take a 2 boxes, a red ball and a blue ball. You close your eyes, drop one ball in each box, close the box, go home with one of them, mail the other box to Tahiti, then open yours up, and see that it's red or blue. Guess what, you know the color of the ball in Tahiti. This is in basis what quantum entanglement is: 2 particles that are linked to each on some quantum number, but until you measure it, you don't know which one is which. You can do interesting stuff with it, but it can't be used to break the speed of light to transmit information.

That was such a well-put explanation of something that has confused me for a long time, that there must be a catch to this somewhere

Ledneh on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

mind if i use that line at the party? got any other good science related pickup lines?

t005art.jpg

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    HAHAHA

oh man, that took me a second

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    not that funny

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    well fine

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    <3<3<3

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg