Options

[Destiny 2] Beyond Light: Out Now!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I have to talk about this.

The Light disruptors introduced in this latest season are silly. And it's all to do with the way they're used.

It's a great concept - handheld-sized versions of the Cage that the Red Legion used to capture the Traveler and cut off all Guardians from the Light during the Red War. Now they're miniaturized and can be used on individual small targets. So they used them on Ghosts. Again, good concept - cut the link between Ghosts and Guardians, so Guardians can't use their Light powers and can't be revived. Super effective weapon idea.

The problem is that you need to actually hit the ghosts with the disruptor, which is fired like a projectile. So the Ghost has to be out, active, visible, and you need a clear line of fire to hit them with a projectile.

So just use a regular gun. If you have that kind of shot, a freely targetable Ghost, just use a regular bullet. That also 'disrupts' the link between Guardians and the Light, and it does it permanently. The Guardians can't just grab their Ghost and run away and pull the disruptor off.

It would be more intimidating from a story perspective if the disruptor could just work on Guardians. Shoot the Guardian, have it clamp onto their leg or arm or chestplate or whatever, and then boom - disrupted. No powers, no resurrection, Ghost helpless. Kill the Guardian then just stomp on the Ghost afterwards so they definitely can't be revived. Or make resurrection impossible even if the Ghost survives, so you can explore the story of Ghosts being traumatized that their reason for existence is gone forever or something.

Anyway.

Regular bullets do not kill Ghosts. It is well established that the bullet that killed Cayde's Ghost was a bullet infused with Darkness power, for example. Overwhelming firepower can kill Ghosts (orbital strikes) or if the Ghost is somehow in a weakened state, but no, a regular bullet shot at a Ghost in regular condition would just cause the Ghost to hide and the Guardian to immediately slaughter whoever tried that.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well then maybe I'll just shut my big mouth.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i7fxvz37dvo9.jpg
    A little late night flawless with friends Twitch and Booker. We had to restart the card 3-4 times because we kept getting sweated on early on. Finally we said... Okay one more card (after saying that twice already) and then proceeded to run to the Lighthouse without using the Mercy. Was hard fought, we nearly lost one game to a sweaty sniper but managed to claw it to a comeback.

Stream highlights
    https://youtu.be/BifXm5vimT0

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    So, transmog question: are they really doing armor only? As more info comes out, I haven't seen anything about weapons, only armor.

It's going to be real disappointing if we waited all this time and it's half the feature we got in WoW over a decade ago...

So wait, you want guns to look like other guns? I don't understand this ask, the look of a gun is one of the only ways to tell them apart. No one cares about telling armor apart, they just want them to look cool.

Yeah, I don't really understand what weapons transmog would even be.

And that's not even touching on the issue of weapon sights being part of the weapon itself and how it's used and handled.

Uh...exactly what it sounds like? I like the stats, etc of my Falling Guillotine but would prefer it not look like a Las Vegas surfboard.

I was able to make my daggers look like old Perdition Blade drops in WoW 10+ years ago. This should not be difficult to do or understand and has been a thing that's been around forever?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's completely unfair of me to complain about an adept Trials weapon, so all apologies and I am the worst, but my adept shotgun rolled with pulse monitor and celerity. It's the worst! Going flawless was good though.

And I just don't think there's a 1/1 comparison between WoW weapons and Destiny weapons, with regard to transmog. The look and sound and sight picture is the weapon, you are a million times more connected to the actual use of a weapon in an FPS than what it looks like when you click in a PC MMO. It would be jarring in the extreme and frankly boring as hell if I could make every gun I liked look the same and sound the same with the same sights.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Forgot to post this, but over the weekend clanmate BashDannon was kind enough to help a group of DSC newbies on a run. One player was... not getting it. A reminder that I'm actually pretty good at the PvE in comparison, haha.

It took us 2 hours and 43 minutes. Near the end it was kind of agony. On the flipside I now know the encounters really well. goaacfa1dwlj.jpg

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I logged back in last night because I had the itch. No one told me the season weapon was an exotic bow, and that the bow was fucking awesome! Panzer Dragoon laser shots followed by huge explosions? Sign me up!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So, transmog question: are they really doing armor only? As more info comes out, I haven't seen anything about weapons, only armor.

It's going to be real disappointing if we waited all this time and it's half the feature we got in WoW over a decade ago...

So wait, you want guns to look like other guns? I don't understand this ask, the look of a gun is one of the only ways to tell them apart. No one cares about telling armor apart, they just want them to look cool.

And that's not even touching on the issue of weapon sights being part of the weapon itself and how it's used and handled.

Uh...exactly what it sounds like? I like the stats, etc of my Falling Guillotine but would prefer it not look like a Las Vegas surfboard.

I was able to make my daggers look like old Perdition Blade drops in WoW 10+ years ago. This should not be difficult to do or understand and has been a thing that's been around forever?

Armour is entirely interchangeable in this game. Transmog just gets around the issue of having to farm a roll on the set you want and ornaments have existed since like Curse of Osiris I think? Your weapon in Destiny is not just a stat stick and it's look and feel and the choice of what weapon you have is a core part of how your character plays and it's identity. It's sorta like asking "Why can't I transmog my warlock armour into titan armour?". The answer is "because your a warlock".

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    It's completely unfair of me to complain about an adept Trials weapon, so all apologies and I am the worst, but my adept shotgun rolled with pulse monitor and celerity. It's the worst! Going flawless was good though.

Despite the weekly challenge being to win Trials rounds I've basically not been bothering with Trials this weekend because I don't really want the shotgun in my loot pool now. I'd rather roll more Igneous Hammers and The Messengers. The new rolls on Astral Horizon imo produce very few good weapons just looking at the possibilities.

I have a slideshot/opening shot roll with full chocke/accurized/range MW. (also a quickdraw/one-two-punch and a field prep/celerity) I can't really see any of the current rolls beating that. Or even really coming close. That first perk column is now pretty eh.

• Options
    edited April 2021

This risks the game becoming completely unreadable. Jack Queen King is a weapon that has certain characteristics. If it could look like some completely other hand cannon, then Destiny wouldn't actually have guns anymore, it would have stat packages (this is what melee MMOs have, it is not something you'd want for your Gun FPS game). Now I do understand the concern "What if my favorite playing gun is ugly to me?" The mitigation for this is ornaments for weapons of particular note and shaders for the rest.

Circling back to your post, the surfboard size is part of the core identity of the Guillotine. That's how it has that name! If you could make it look like some other sword, it would have no identity at all. Also, think about what you're asking from an animation standpoint. The Guillotine swings in a circle, it was animated to do so. Other swords weren't. Guns are animated to reload in a certain way. The scopes that come with them are part of the visual of aiming with them. You're asking for something that would literally break the graphics design of the game.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    It also would change how it affects your vision. Like, for sheer effectiveness, I'd make all my Auto Rifles look like Gnawing Hungers....not because I like how it looks. I hate it, actually. It takes up so much less room than, say, a Summoner though. I can see more of the screen.

Additionally, as Jay reminded me because I'm dumb, Destiny is coded kinda funky and an ornament for Chaperone that was longer than the original Chaperone actually increased the range....which is insane. I was originally onboard with transmogging weapons because, yeah, like WoW, it doesn't really matter in terms of an enemy identifying what you're using....but the above reasons do matter.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Isn't that last bit like the whole idea behind the Nine?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

The Light disruptors introduced in this latest season are silly. And it's all to do with the way they're used.

It's a great concept - handheld-sized versions of the Cage that the Red Legion used to capture the Traveler and cut off all Guardians from the Light during the Red War. Now they're miniaturized and can be used on individual small targets. So they used them on Ghosts. Again, good concept - cut the link between Ghosts and Guardians, so Guardians can't use their Light powers and can't be revived. Super effective weapon idea.

The problem is that you need to actually hit the ghosts with the disruptor, which is fired like a projectile. So the Ghost has to be out, active, visible, and you need a clear line of fire to hit them with a projectile.

So just use a regular gun. If you have that kind of shot, a freely targetable Ghost, just use a regular bullet. That also 'disrupts' the link between Guardians and the Light, and it does it permanently. The Guardians can't just grab their Ghost and run away and pull the disruptor off.

It would be more intimidating from a story perspective if the disruptor could just work on Guardians. Shoot the Guardian, have it clamp onto their leg or arm or chestplate or whatever, and then boom - disrupted. No powers, no resurrection, Ghost helpless. Kill the Guardian then just stomp on the Ghost afterwards so they definitely can't be revived. Or make resurrection impossible even if the Ghost survives, so you can explore the story of Ghosts being traumatized that their reason for existence is gone forever or something.

Anyway.

Regular bullets do not kill Ghosts. It is well established that the bullet that killed Cayde's Ghost was a bullet infused with Darkness power, for example. Overwhelming firepower can kill Ghosts (orbital strikes) or if the Ghost is somehow in a weakened state, but no, a regular bullet shot at a Ghost in regular condition would just cause the Ghost to hide and the Guardian to immediately slaughter whoever tried that.
    What about that iron lord who killed that warlord's ghost with a shotgun?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Anyway.

Wrote the Ghost's name on the slug.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    All this recent Trials success is making me anxious to get back into the Crucible and shake off the rust.

I've basically neglected it the past couple seasons after going way hard on Trials back during Worthy. I've gotta get better if I want to see the Lighthouse again.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

Anyway.

Guardians are themselves paracausal and probably capable of futzing with Ghosts, right?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options

Anyway.

I would guess Light empowered weaponry has a similar effect to Dark based? Seems like the reason more Warlords didn't kill each other was fear of retaliation, or maybe they were so new that some didn't quite understand the mechanics of it all yet.

• Options
    Catalase wrote: »

Anyway.

Guardians are themselves paracausal and probably capable of futzing with Ghosts, right?

I mean, there's Shin Malphur who's well known for permanently killing Lightbearers so yeah. The Light-cage, original and travel-size, is important because it gives a race that's pretty much working at a disadvantage an equalizer that doesn't rely on overkill like the Almighty.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

I’m not sure what you were replying to, but essentially how I understand the Nine is this:

The motion of the planets and moons in our solar system, as well as all the life in it, basically are all parts and cogs of a “computer” or “machine” that churned the dark matter of our system into sentience, and that sentience is the Nine, seemingly one entity for each major body: Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto(?)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I'm going to go test this for myself but if it is true it is Extremely Important News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH67Tz7ylug

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I finally got my hands on a PS5 and I’m shocked, shocked I tell you at how different 60fps feels.

Obviously it feels good but because it feels so different it’s kinda hard to adapt to. I ran a quick Battleground for the weekly challenge last night but I was missing shots all over the place.

Also lol at how much faster I load in than everybody else now.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Arteen wrote: »
    All this recent Trials success is making me anxious to get back into the Crucible and shake off the rust.

I've basically neglected it the past couple seasons after going way hard on Trials back during Worthy. I've gotta get better if I want to see the Lighthouse again.

I'm in the same boat. I made it to a couple of game 7s last week with different groups, but in both cases I was still kinda slow to adapt and couldn't get over the hump.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Follow up post: Vintage Timber and Oiled Algae both make armor lights pulse and it's subtle but extremely good.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Follow up post: Vintage Timber and Oiled Algae both make armor lights pulse and it's subtle but extremely good.

Metro Shift typically does this as well

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Wait what seriously? I thought I knew a thing or two about Destiny fashion but clearly I am way unprepared for the true endgame.

• Options
    I like the pulses effect, though you really have to look to see it. Personally I prefer to have the glows be a color I like. For instance to get the eyes on my Bakris to glow green, I had to use an iron banner shader.

• Options
    Tried this out too, tho to rock this look means I need to wear a hood again
    https://youtu.be/ZDqkKdbMOIY

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

I’m not sure what you were replying to, but essentially how I understand the Nine is this:

The motion of the planets and moons in our solar system, as well as all the life in it, basically are all parts and cogs of a “computer” or “machine” that churned the dark matter of our system into sentience, and that sentience is the Nine, seemingly one entity for each major body: Sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Pluto(?)

Probably Uranus instead of Pluto, but yeah.

Also if thats the case, it will be interesting to see what happened to the Nine centered around Mercury/Mars and to a lesser extent Jupiter/Saturn

• Options
    lols, my dumb tired brain forgot Uranus
    Wait what seriously? I thought I knew a thing or two about Destiny fashion but clearly I am way unprepared for the true endgame.

I just checked real quick and I didn’t notice it pulsing now. To be honest, I haven’t used Metro Shift in awhile... I wonder if the nextgen update changed it?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Welp I lost my whole sunday to this game, guess I'm back on this bullshit, working my way through the Exo stuff post the main beyond light campaign.
    I'm glad I'm liking it because in past expansions I've been solely motivated by getting to raid content, this time I'm enjoying the progress.

Really digging the story stuff here, although it's kind of weird how much Europa feels like a Titan/Mars mashup with a snow skin on it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Well then maybe I'll just shut my big mouth.

Don't blame yourself because it's not like any of that was made clear in the actual game.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure they bring up the special gun the sniper used during the story mission that eventually leads to you killing them, but it's been a long time since I played that so I don't know for sure

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played a couple rumble matches and got my ass whooped. I was getting outplayed at every turn. It was demoralizing.

I checked the stats to see what kind of players I was going up against. Okay, so that guy is a top player, 100+ flawlesses. Fair enough, I need to play against guys like that to get better. Next one I checked, another exceptional player with 200+ flawlesses. Cool, I guess there are some real killers playing rumble right now. It's hard to improve when I'm up against players significantly better than me, but I'll try my best.

Third guy I checked, a Trials carry streamer with ~450 flawless runs and multiple top 500 playlist ranks. FFS Bungie, now you're just trolling me.

• Options
    I think that's a symptom of rumble being full of only sweats at all times. I love PvP and still just don't have fun in Rumble.

• Options
    Stasis was still a huge mistake with regard to Crucible. Withering Blade slows still enrage me.

• Options

Oh jeez, I just realized something; with Mars missing, how does this affect the Nine?

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Stasis was still a huge mistake with regard to Crucible. Withering Blade slows still enrage me.

I tend to agree, I think slow should just be taken out because it's really not fun to deal with.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    A dude froze me mid-thundercrash in Gambit a couple minutes ago and I almost put my keyboard through my monitor

• Options
    I tend to agree, I think slow should just be taken out because it's really not fun to deal with.
    It just lasts too long. I'll get slowed, win the fight, but still be slowed for the follow up encounter.

Or Hunters will lead off with it from fairly far away and they have an eternity to getcha. It's just...argh, we've gone over this forever, but arggggh.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Oh jeez, I just realized something; with Mars missing, how does this affect the Nine?

I think there was some rumbling amongst the Nine that some wanted to ally with the Darkness, I wouldn't be surprised if the missing planets are them.