Options

Please Do Not Shit In The [Employee Lounge]

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Also: 2 guys to fold a 40ft flag? I probably would have told them no.

They didn't tell me until after I got outside and saw the flag. "Hey... That didn't look so big from down here."

urahonky on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    How many of you guys are actually at work right this very instant? This guy is sitting at his desk right now. I've rocked the face off of my number this month and am just doing the clerical garbage today.

Me! My work filter actually blocks PA though, so I'm using a proxy that we gave to the police department that would bypass our filter and use a different set of rules.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »
    I just got my first 11 PM blackberry assignment from the firm. BOO. i don't know why people get all giddy over blackberries, because they are just electronic slave collars.

Mine goes on the shelf when I get home from work, and stays there until I grab it the next morning to go to work.

Here's a trick (depending on what your job is):
    Go into options and set your blackberry to auto power off and then on each day. Tadaa! You aren't aware of any messages until work time.
    I have mine set to come on 30 min before work (on my way there) just to download any messages from the last night, and turn off 30 min after (just in case). If work REALLY needs me, they know my cell and home numbers and they can get in touch with me. Otherwise, I'm not paid to be on call. If they want to pay me for being on call, that's a whole different story.

Even when I didn't have the auto power options set, it would go on the charger when I got home and I would hear it ding away with e-mails, but I would never answer it. I know that they can get in touch with me many other ways if it's that important.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Varega wrote: »
    Needless to say, he re-cut and did them all himself, again. I felt bad, but not bad enough to feel sorry for him. We have a bigish budget for what we do, so I thought we'd get an electrician in here and have him pound it out in like 2 weeks for a few grand instead of 3 months of work.
    You know, I have zero sympathy for corporate yahoos who try to save money by outsourcing, self-doing, off-shoring, etc and then try to not acknowledge that it is a management failure when they spend twice as much money and take three to four times as long than they would have if they just fessed up to the purse holder and did it the right way the first time out of the gate.

GungHo on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Needless to say, he re-cut and did them all himself, again. I felt bad, but not bad enough to feel sorry for him. We have a bigish budget for what we do, so I thought we'd get an electrician in here and have him pound it out in like 2 weeks for a few grand instead of 3 months of work.
    You know, I have zero sympathy for corporate yahoos who try to save money by outsourcing, self-doing, off-shoring, etc and then try to not acknowledge that it is a management failure when they spend twice as much money and take three to four times as long than they would have if they just fessed up to the purse holder and did it the right way the first time out of the gate.

Well, my boss and I are friends from school. It's how I got the job. We were both in the CCNA course, and he wanted to ace the physical portion of the test, aka making a cable. So he ordered like 600 feet of cable, and started cutting it himself. Can't say I blame the guy, and he probably saved money doing that. It just was a huge inconvience.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How many of you guys are actually at work right this very instant? This guy is sitting at his desk right now. I've rocked the face off of my number this month and am just doing the clerical garbage today.

Yo.

This is like 90% of my day.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well you do something enough it becomes almost second nature.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

To be fair, RJ45 cables are often ridiculously over-priced compared to making them yourself. We used to do that all the time back in a company I used to work in. Of course, this was an engineering firm, so we usually had plenty of Cat5 and connectors on hand, and when they were running low we'd just re-order some. Much cheaper and better than having to order the pre-made stuff. It only takes a couple of minutes really.

Of course, spending 3 months on it is probably another matter altogether.

subedii on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This may not be the right place for it, but how much does a new Gamestop employee get paid?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just got my first 11 PM blackberry assignment from the firm. BOO. i don't know why people get all giddy over blackberries, because they are just electronic slave collars.

Mine goes on the shelf when I get home from work, and stays there until I grab it the next morning to go to work.

Go into options and set your blackberry to auto power off and then on each day. Tadaa! You aren't aware of any messages until work time.
    I have mine set to come on 30 min before work (on my way there) just to download any messages from the last night, and turn off 30 min after (just in case). If work REALLY needs me, they know my cell and home numbers and they can get in touch with me. Otherwise, I'm not paid to be on call. If they want to pay me for being on call, that's a whole different story.

Even when I didn't have the auto power options set, it would go on the charger when I got home and I would hear it ding away with e-mails, but I would never answer it. I know that they can get in touch with me many other ways if it's that important.

ya, see, I have to be available to get a phone call with it, if I am at home. If a server goes down at 2AM I am the second name on the list to go in and fix it. So I can't really turn it off. I've gotten one such phone call before, when the A/C in the room broke and it was 51C in the room.

If I go out though, I don't bring it with me. I am not paid to be on call, so if I am not at home if they call, too bad. If I'm at home and I get a call, fine, I'll go in, but my time is my time, if I choose to go out, I'm not going to work.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

ya, see, I have to be available to get a phone call with it, if I am at home. If a server goes down at 2AM I am the second name on the list to go in and fix it. So I can't really turn it off. I've gotten one such phone call before, when the A/C in the room broke and it was 51C in the room.

If I go out though, I don't bring it with me. I am not paid to be on call, so if I am not at home if they call, too bad. If I'm at home and I get a call, fine, I'll go in, but my time is my time, if I choose to go out, I'm not going to work.

Isn't this the definition of being on-call? O_o

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh, and we're not allowed to let the flag touch the ground. So it's windy, and we're pulling down a 40ft flag... And trying to avoid touching the ground. Needless to say that flag was fighting us the whole time. We pulled it down and sorta balled it up and took it inside so we can fold it on a table (which isn't illegal).
    It's not illegal to let the flag touch the ground anyway, nor do you have to destroy it if it does, just wash it before putting it back up.

Glal on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WHY I HATE WAL-MART, TOM LEDERBRAND DIVISION

"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world, life in plastic, it's fantastic..." Every damned night.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Me! My work filter actually blocks PA though, so I'm using a proxy that we gave to the police department that would bypass our filter and use a different set of rules.

Tragically, the legal world doesn't work this way. You're actually on call and needed at bizarre hours of the night, especially if you're a junior associate. It is pretty senseless most of the time, because there's no way to differentiate between OCD partners e-mailing people at 2 AM, and times when you're genuinely needed.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    subedii wrote: »

To be fair, RJ45 cables are often ridiculously over-priced compared to making them yourself. We used to do that all the time back in a company I used to work in. Of course, this was an engineering firm, so we usually had plenty of Cat5 and connectors on hand, and when they were running low we'd just re-order some. Much cheaper and better than having to order the pre-made stuff. It only takes a couple of minutes really.

Of course, spending 3 months on it is probably another matter altogether.
    It all starts with rationalization.

GungHo on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Isn't this the definition of being on-call? O_o

Ya, but see, they dont' pay me to be on call, so I'm not on call. The only saving grace to it is that if I do get a call, I don't actually have to go in. I can say no. where as if I was actually being paid to be on call, I would have to go on. Me choosing to go in is my own will.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Regarding Blackberries and the like: When I was given a corporate Treo, I felt pretty goddamn awesome... You know, "first job out of college, finally hired somewhere I'm really excited to be, et cetera," excited. Anyway, that love turned to bitter resentment once I started getting emails and the like at all hours of the day, weekends included.

However, that bitter resentment turned back into love when it was explained to me that time spent reading and replying to emails (especially emails from clients) was to be considered billable time, and should be recorded on the time sheet as such.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ahhh, I just got off from G(am)estopo.

Moving and alphabetizing an entire section of movies is ultra gay.
    The 24 oz. Rockstar helped though.

Apparently every movie starring Schwarzenegger simply has Arnold's portrait in the front. Like, all of them.

And Tom Cruise was in a movie called Cocktail.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Hello guys!

Lets remember that the G&T Employee Lounge is for the ranting of G&T related jobs. This is not a general bitching and moaning post for any job under the sun.

So if you sell games or make games feel free to post about funny stuff.

Do not post about folding flags.

Example:
    I work at BioWare and since I like my job I'm telling you nothing.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope I didn't elicit that post.

Tom Cruise is serious business.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Just for clarification..are IT related jobs fit for this thread due to the technology half of G&T, or is it just the Games Employee lounge.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    Hello guys!

Lets remember that the G&T Employee Lounge is for the ranting of G&T related jobs. This is not a general bitching and moaning post for any job under the sun.

Example:

I thought we did away with the "G&T" related jobs requirement after Employee Lounge 1. Because not everyone who frequents G&T actually works in a G&T related field it increased readership and contribution to the thread by allowing all of us to bitch about our jobs.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    They probably don't want this to become a chat thread. If we start talking about things other than G&T jobs it would be a SE++ thread - you know where it would be derailed in 2 pages.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    We never did away with it, however mild departures were tolerated.

The reason the EL has been so stop and go is the mild departures took over.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hello guys!

Example:

The flag dude works in IT. IT is T related.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    While having a clear out of the office at work today and getting rid of old equipment etc. my boss said to us:
    'If you see anything good, guys, don't be afraid to take it, we don't need any of this anymore'

450w power amplifier is now sat in my house
    002.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hello guys!

Example:

So... cars count as tech, right?

Also:
    Mr Bubbles wrote:
    <fantastic score>
    /jealous

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    WHY I HATE WAL-MART, TOM LEDERBRAND DIVISION

"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world, life in plastic, it's fantastic..." Every damned night.

I had never heard of this man until I started frequenting this thread. Everything I hear about him makes me hate him even more.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    ThatSkaRobotThatSkaRobot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wait tables, and last Saturday night I was one of two waiters on, which was stupid of my managers, as Saturdays are ALWAYS busy, So there was an 18 person table coming in and my co-worker offered to take that one like, 2 other tables, and I'd take whatever else came in, I said that's cool, whatever. I got slammed. I had like, 7 tables at one time, and was constantly running in between them. Then my coworker would come and bitch at me cause my tables were asking her for stuff because I wasn't fast enough. The only reason they asked her was because she was obviously not rushing, towards the end of the night, she was sitting down at the bar bitching about me not working.

Lucky me, the bartender that night makes schedules, and she doesn't like bitching...

Now I have extra shifts every week, and the other waiter that night is missing a few.

ThatSkaRobot on
  • Options
    virgilsammsvirgilsamms Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    While having a clear out of the office at work today and getting rid of old equipment etc. my boss said to us:
    'If you see anything good, guys, don't be afraid to take it, we don't need any of this anymore'

450w power amplifier is now sat in my house
    002.jpg

Sweet! Nice score.

virgilsamms on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    japan wrote: »
    The 78 year old woman who's door was kicked in late at night, followed by people rampaging through her house, vandalising the walls with spray paint, destroying every item of furniture, stealing anything of value, then urinating on the carpets on their way out.

I bet that carpet really tied the room together.

elevature on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    The 78 year old woman who's door was kicked in late at night, followed by people rampaging through her house, vandalising the walls with spray paint, destroying every item of furniture, stealing anything of value, then urinating on the carpets on their way out.

Oh, God, I'm so desperately trying to place that quote and I just can't. It's almost there but I just can't remember where it comes from.

"It really tied the room together". They say it like a million times... but where?

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    NoelVeiga wrote: »

Oh, God, I'm so desperately trying to place that quote and I just can't. It's almost there but I just can't remember where it comes from.

"It really tied the room together". They say it like a million times... but where?
    I want to say the big lebowski..but i am in no way certain..back to employee lounge related..err..soo..how many guys in IT have absolutely nothing to do almost all day every day? I know me and quite a few other people I know who work in IT all have the same problem

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

image_3663945.jpg

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    NoelVeigaNoelVeiga Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

image_3663945.jpg

You know that feeling when you take a crap and it's thicker than you thought it was gonna be but it's gone already so you feel relieved?

Thank you.

NoelVeiga on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bearcat wrote: »

Apparently every movie starring Schwarzenegger simply has Arnold's portrait in the front. Like, all of them.

It was the 80's. We watched bad movies then. See also: Risky Business.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Bearcat wrote: »

It was the 80's. We watched bad movies then. See also: Risky Business.

Outrageous Fortune was hella cool.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Godfuckingdamnit I hate people.

Tip for anyone young out there: Working at Spencer's blows. No raises unless your management, and they just treat you like shit in general. One night my pants were falling down, so my manager told me to take a belt. Later that night I had forgotten that I still had it on, and left with it. That was about a month ago.

I get a call from regional LP asking if I could've taken anything by accident, and I really did forget about it. But once I remembered, I told him that I had no problem paying for it because I had planned on buying one anyway. So after all the idle chitchat and him acting cool and saying that everything is alright as long as they get the money for it. After all of that shit, turns out I'm suspended and should be getting a call the next day.

The next day goes by and I stop in to ask what's up, and my manager (she agrees the whole situation is BS, and is still giving me a good reference) says that they will most likely fire me, so I just quit.

I'm sick of retail. Fuck that shit.

GiantRobo on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "I bought a TV here a year and a half ago and it stopped working...can I bring it back?"

"No, ma'am. You'll have to talk to the manufacturer about their nearest licensed repair shop."

"That's such fucking bullshit! Y'all a buncha thieves!" *storms away*

"Do you guys have any Wiis?"

"No, sir. We've had a grand total of nine shipped to us since Christmas."

"Man, I know you guys are lying and just buying them yourselves and putting them on eBay!"

"Sir, as menial as my job might seem to you, I'm not going to risk it in a profiteering scheme. None of us would."

"Whatever."

I hate people so much.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    chasm wrote: »
    "I bought a TV here a year and a half ago and it stopped working...can I bring it back?"

"No, ma'am. You'll have to talk to the manufacturer about their nearest licensed repair shop."

"Man, I know you guys are lying and just buying them yourselves and putting them on eBay!"

"Sir, as menial as my job might seem to you, I'm not going to risk it in a profiteering scheme. None of us would."

"Whatever."

I hate people so much.
    Have you really only gotten nine since Christmas?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »

"Whatever."

I hate people so much.
    Have you really only gotten nine since Christmas?

No they've been selling them all on ebay, didn't you hear the customer?

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.