As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] The International 2019

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    Newspost about the new player experience. Also the announcement that 7.29 will launch the Friday after the Singapore major and will include a new hero.

Anyone know if it's possible to reset an account to do the new player experience? It's a fun question in light of the "ban players for smurfing" promise above, but I haven't played dota 2 in so long that my base skill level at this point would be "I have a general familiarity with how mobas work."

I don't think you need to reset your account in any way. All the new tutorial stuff is in the Learn menu and as far as I can tell the new player mode isn't actually restricted to new players. Or at least I have that option on my account that hasn't played a game of dota in years.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Probably the most important update for Dota 2 that I've seen in years.
    Starting today, smurfing will be a bannable offense. We will primarily focus on new accounts created after today for which we have high confidence in their smurfing and game-ruining behavior. Moreover, we will also occasionally manually ban old pre-existing accounts that are clearly game-ruining. Furthermore, if you are found to be selling accounts, boosting or engaged in similar game ruining behaviors, your primary account may also be subject to a ban. To go along with this, we've recently increased our ban rate for boosters and purchased accounts.

It's actually amazing. That and queueing up new players with only other new players for games until they feel comfortable are great changes.

What metrics are they using for that?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Starting today, smurfing will be a bannable offense. We will primarily focus on new accounts created after today for which we have high confidence in their smurfing and game-ruining behavior. Moreover, we will also occasionally manually ban old pre-existing accounts that are clearly game-ruining. Furthermore, if you are found to be selling accounts, boosting or engaged in similar game ruining behaviors, your primary account may also be subject to a ban. To go along with this, we've recently increased our ban rate for boosters and purchased accounts.

It's actually amazing. That and queueing up new players with only other new players for games until they feel comfortable are great changes.
    ... I might actually reinstall the game.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

What metrics are they using for that?

I'm sure they will never release that info so it doesn't get manipulated. I would imagine one metric would be suspicious stats vs other players. Like if a player goes 22/0 and everyone else has a 1-2:1 KDR, that seems suspicious. So they would then review to see how the player was playing in comparison to everyone else, and vs how many games that account has played. Someone who has only played five games should probably not have 20 kills and no deaths, ya know?

I'd be interested to see if this process is automated, or if it is only semi-automated and then reviewed by an actual person.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    so this update prompted me to try dota again for the first time in 10+, probably close to 15 years; the new player mode is rather disappointing; it just seems to be bot matches w/ a limited hero pool. Played three games of it and i was the only non bot in each.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    so this update prompted me to try dota again for the first time in 10+, probably close to 15 years; the new player mode is rather disappointing; it just seems to be bot matches w/ a limited hero pool. Played three games of it and i was the only non bot in each.
    That sounds similar to how it was back when I first played years ago.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    That sounds similar to how it was back when I first played years ago.

Seems like there's a bit more to it than that?

https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/2995430596679058277

At least from the page it seems like they did a fair amount of work, it's just not a broader set of tutorial missions.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The problem Dota has is the same problem fighting games have. At some level, to really get in to them, you need to put in some level of research and work. That's always going to be a barrier to entry for a lot of players. It's great they are working on and thinking about new player experience, but in the end all that experience can do is hopefully get players to want to do some learning and the work to get better.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The problem Dota has is the same problem fighting games have. At some level, to really get in to them, you need to put in some level of research and work. That's always going to be a barrier to entry for a lot of players. It's great they are working on and thinking about new player experience, but in the end all that experience can do is hopefully get players to want to do some learning and the work to get better.

Playing each hero once at let's be conservative... 30 min game. 115 x 30 gives you about 58 hours of gameplay to try each one once.

The amount of game knowledge involved is dota's greatest strength and weakness. I've not played in about 2 x years just because of how toxic 95% of players are. I could not imagine starting from scratch

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Purge is using the coaching feature to coach randos on his stream now. It seems neat, but also seems really open to abuse by people who aren't as nice/cool as Purge. I know there's a rating system that should shuffle shitlords out of the pool eventually, but I wonder how the first few weeks of this go.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I wonder, has anyone with DoTA Plus made a guild, we had one way back when before they rewrote the game, and I've only ever seen one or two people in the chat channel I made forever ago.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've been reviewing cases since I think that's a neat feature, and someone's gotta do it.

It's sad because out of the five or six that I've reviewed today, only one person was intentionally feeding. The other five were just poor plays by supports or mid players, and they get reported for feeding. I hope people aren't giving guilty verdicts specifically on the scores instead of watching the footage.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Disco11 wrote: »

Playing each hero once at let's be conservative... 30 min game. 115 x 30 gives you about 58 hours of gameplay to try each one once.

The amount of game knowledge involved is dota's greatest strength and weakness. I've not played in about 2 x years just because of how toxic 95% of players are. I could not imagine starting from scratch

I come back every year or two and try some games. But the lost knowledge and reflexes make it doubly frustrating and this last time, I realized that all playing DOTA actually does is piss me off and stress me out.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I'm playing through the new player experience missions now. On Tier 2. So far it's pretty good. Definitely explaining some of the basics of the game, but T2 is starting to delve into Map vision, not stacking disables, and team fight initiation.

...So pretty good!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I've been reviewing cases since I think that's a neat feature, and someone's gotta do it.

It's sad because out of the five or six that I've reviewed today, only one person was intentionally feeding. The other five were just poor plays by supports or mid players, and they get reported for feeding. I hope people aren't giving guilty verdicts specifically on the scores instead of watching the footage.

I've watched Purge go through a bunch and most of the time it seems like people are really abusing the report system. One yesterday was a Timbersaw who carried the game for his team, to a win, who got reported for griefing.

e: The one thing to note is that the judges can't see chat, and I wonder if people are reporting toxic chat as "griefing"?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

This is pretty much me in a nutshell

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I think that's just the nature of the game, and why ranks exist. I don't remember if there is, but I wish a manual rank reset was available. At least to do once. I have like 2.6k+ hours, but I've taken looooong breaks in between that time. Most recently I haven't played consistently since Talents were released. So my base of knowledge is good, but new additions and map changes are confusing and sometimes gets me in trouble.

Hopefully now that Smurfs are bannable, it will help games in lower ranks be more accurate instead of stomps.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I think that's just the nature of the game, and why ranks exist. I don't remember if there is, but I wish a manual rank reset was available. At least to do once. I have like 2.6k+ hours, but I've taken looooong breaks in between that time. Most recently I haven't played consistently since Talents were released. So my base of knowledge is good, but new additions and map changes are confusing and sometimes gets me in trouble.

Hopefully now that Smurfs are bannable, it will help games in lower ranks be more accurate instead of stomps.

It's not just that. I don't miss the feeling of being trapped in a 70 min game with idiots. I don't have that kind of time anymore.

• Options

It's not just that. I don't miss the feeling of being trapped in a 70 min game with idiots. I don't have that kind of time anymore.

I definitely feel that. Turbo is waaaay quicker. Almost too fast sometimes. People hit end game level builds by ~20 minutes.

• Options

I definitely feel that. Turbo is waaaay quicker. Almost too fast sometimes. People hit end game level builds by ~20 minutes.

It is but it's also totally broken and unbalanced.... Or was when I was playing it.

• Options
    Biggest factor that made me quit LoL was their chronic refusal to alter the surrender vote requirement to something less than 4 yays (it should have been a simple majority vote). Get stuck in a game with a 2 man premade who refused to surrender and you were screwed for the next hour.

The lack of surrender in Dota2 never bothered me quite as much since there's more chance of a comeback thanks to harder late game carries that could still mature and turn the tide. Or if the enemy team had a super carry, the game is over quicker.

• Options
    I would love a concede vote in Dota. It definitely helped in HoN to end games that were obviously over. I dunno if 4-1 or 3-2 would be better to be honest cause I've had my share of comeback games when the two supports and a tank felt it was already over.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    https://www.dota2.com/dawnbreaker

New Hero & Balance patch. Billion pages long but, map changes for new ward spots and juke positions, bounty runes changed and HoN runes added for 2/4 minutes to refill bottle if you guess wrong, free TP scrolls on death (lol). New hero looks like a fun carry, has a Spectre like ult that allows them to teleport into fights and heal allies, deal dps.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    What's Yrel doing in DotA2?

• Options
    I would love a concede vote in Dota. It definitely helped in HoN to end games that were obviously over. I dunno if 4-1 or 3-2 would be better to be honest cause I've had my share of comeback games when the two supports and a tank felt it was already over.

I miss all the little animations from HoN. Weird how those graphics from 2010 still look better than present day DotA2.

• Options
    So on the one hand the new hero's ult is gonna be an easy ready to know it's coming. On the other there's some snares / stuns that will play nice with it. Also that passive ability is pretty much dictating an attack speed focus on items.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Ana is back at his summer job...

https://ogs.gg/ana-is-back/

• Options
    So on the one hand the new hero's ult is gonna be an easy ready to know it's coming. On the other there's some snares / stuns that will play nice with it. Also that passive ability is pretty much dictating an attack speed focus on items.

Is it? I thought the passive just went off percentage of damage dealt, not some flat damage/heal per proc. Wouldn't it benefit equally from damage and speed?

• Options

Is it? I thought the passive just went off percentage of damage dealt, not some flat damage/heal per proc. Wouldn't it benefit equally from damage and speed?
    The passive is every xth hit based. So the more frequently you attack the more you trigger the proc.

• Options
    edited April 2021

I miss all the little animations from HoN. Weird how those graphics from 2010 still look better than present day DotA2.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. I think HoN looked bad, like old League before it got it's update. I quiet like Dota 2's graphics.
    schuss wrote: »
    Ana is back at his summer job...

https://ogs.gg/ana-is-back/

Super glad to see Ana back...

Also sad for MidOne. All he did was help them get to two grand finals and play bonkers for them several times and he gets dropped. Looks like OG did it the right way, nothng but praise on his way out, but still must hurt to know you played pretty damn well and still get bumped. Though I guess he had to know it was possible if Ana wanted to come back.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited April 2021

The passive is every xth hit based. So the more frequently you attack the more you trigger the proc.

But the proc is crit & lifesteal % based off damage dealt, so it's tied to dps in general: damage and speed.

Higher speed procs more often. Higher damage hits/heals harder when it procs.

Sange seems like a good early item. Strength, attack damage, enhanced lifesteal. Although Halberd is the only item I would bother upgrading that to.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Is there an All Pick game mode without banning? Or do you have to dip into custom games for that?

I just want to play the new heroes! Both of them are insta-banned every single match.

• Options
    Did a "New player mode", as I kind of expected I got bots for teammates...that's fine, except that the enemy bots seemed to actually act as a team and they eventually just steam rolled down mid when I was the only one ever teleporting back to defend while my friendly bots just kind of stood around in the jungle and didn't do much. Seems like a bug in the team mate bot script or something. Late game most of my team was literally standing around doing nothing while I tried to defend lanes.

• Options
    Both bot games I tried (one "normal", the other "unfair") the entire enemy team clumped 5 man mid pretty much the entire match, like they thought it was ARAM.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    New hero is an armlet hero, as is the strength damage hero way.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I wouldn't know! Everyone keeps banning her!!

(like, seriously. There are 57 different wacky crazy play modes. How is ban-less All Pick not one of them?)

MrBody on
  • Options
    I've played against her twice in two games. lol.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Did a "New player mode", as I kind of expected I got bots for teammates...that's fine, except that the enemy bots seemed to actually act as a team and they eventually just steam rolled down mid when I was the only one ever teleporting back to defend while my friendly bots just kind of stood around in the jungle and didn't do much. Seems like a bug in the team mate bot script or something. Late game most of my team was literally standing around doing nothing while I tried to defend lanes.

If the bots are on Unfair then this is by design, the bots on your team are literally set to do stupid shit while their bots get vastly increased move speed, among other things. Hard is the difficulty of choice because it sets the behavior of bots on both teams to do sensible things.

Bots are broken as hell right now though, and have been for about 2 weeks. The scripts I've been using for years no longer function, and the default bots don't believe in defending after T3 falls.

I put about 10-20 hours a week exclusively into bot matches because fuck people and its been fun but I may have to either quit the game entirely or face the music and play with people again.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is Buster Blade one of you or is this some random messaging me about some vote thing

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    @3cl1ps3

I also got messaged, I remeber buster from the tf2 days, but they haven't posted here in years, and the link they gave out doesn't show up in a google search. And is the old name of a current esports competition. Probably trying to skim steam login credentials.

And not to impugn one buster blade as they've probably been hacked/stolen themselves.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png