As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU TV] Open spoilers for Falcon & Winter Soldier, WandaVision

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    MCU Rogers absolutely heeded authority, up until authority proved repeatedly that it would literally fuck the planet, multiple times, rather than cede the slightest amount of freedom to operate to an organization bound by the common good, not political greed. But when offered an insane "option" to resolve the situation which would inevitably get a lot of innocent people killed, of course he said "fuck that". And if he hadn't, either half the universe or the entire universe would be toast.

None of which ended up with him talking anyone down, Bucky was a Hail Mary sacrifice play. Clint did all the work to convince the twins to switch's sides, all Cap did was punch them. All Steve did when he heard about Insight was give a speech to Fury that went nowhere. HYDRA's involvement in Insight was what made Fury do something about the project, not Steve and ha was when he had reservations about Insight. Steve's decisions divided the Avengers and the writers being on his side so he could completely forget about the Accords, he was hardly blameless for how weaken the Avengers were when Thanos arrived on he scene. He also never bothered calling Tony after Civil War, despite giving him a phone. And Lagos, his leadership is hardly spotless. Half the universe was destroyed from he fallout of his deciosn, he can't blame everything on Tony. Tony's a fuck up but he knows he's a fuck up and he tries to fix his mistakes, I can't say the latter about Steve.

Edit: Steve loves authority when he has it, and gets away with stupid decisions because he's on the writers' side but he refuses to adhere to anyone over him despite the fact they might have positions which are valid, and he thrives in organisations with no structure that he leads. His authority, to him, is limitless inside and outside the Avengers. Which keeps blowing up into PR nightmare for the Avengers, and Steve just continues like nothing bad happened. Contrast this with Walker, he follows orders from the GRC - this was a missed opportunity Falcon and Winer Soldier didn't explore he spends most of the series going rogue anyway - he's confronted publicly and by other super-heroes about his fuck ups, he's given an investigation by the US government off-screen and publicly fired by his bosses for his mistakes. The writer aren't on Walker's side and hey shouldn't be but we know here is a system in place which reacts to him and there are consequences on multiple levels. Wanda and Steve are above this accountability when they fuck up. Wanda gets a thumbs up and a pep talk from one of her own victims in WV and we're supposed to see this as good. Vision is angry and confronts her but forgives her and everyone else's pain is erased as long as he's happy with Wanda when she destroys the Hex.

Steve literally walked up to his CO completely resigned to arrest and trial. The authority in charge was wrong in that they valued a PR piece more than the lives of a lot of soldiers, but Rogers still submitted himself for discipline. If authority figures wanted him to stop disobeying them, they should've stopped coming to really fucking stupid, self-serving decisions.

Steve's lucky they cared about PR otherwise he would have been reprimanded for doing that and I think he knew it when he came back so him "falling on his sword" wasn't actually something he was in danger of. They were wrong but that didn't make him immune to legal consequences for doing the right thing by simply bing Captain America. In the sequels he'd never do his again and went ape shit when anyone so much as talked about consequences for Wanda for Lagos, and he should have been on the hook for Lagos since he's her commander. Ross was being a dick, however, wanting accountability when Avengers make international incidents with death tolls shouldn't be a controversial stance. Walker at least got investigated by the proper authorities for his actions. The victims of Lagos and Westview never go their justice in the MCU.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Kinda wish they didn’t pad the time out with a dang training montage, but I did like Bucky and Sam bonding over fixing the boat.

Batroc’s got a double duty contract: revenge on Sam and take out the Flagsmashers. Calling it now.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    - Wait so this whole gang of international fugitives just packed up and moved to New York over the weekend? And how did Karli even know how to get in touch with the dude?
    I assume this is about Batroc? If I understood Sharon's brief scene, she got him released. She mentioned that if it wasn't for her, he'd still be in an Algerian prison. On the other end, someone talking loudly in french can be heard. So Sharon sprung Batroc and put him in contact with Karli and all but confirmed that she is Mephisto.

Seriously though, something's going on with Sharon. Power Broker? I don't think so. Trying to take over the Broker's operation? Possibly.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    ooh right I forgot about the sharon scene

mostly because hoo boy I do not care about sharon carter

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    When is the title going to change to The Falcon Loves the Winter Soldier?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

"Don't hit on my sister. Hit on me!"

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Zemo heard rumours about the dance scene in Wakanda and gave himself up voluntarily to see first hand. Only to realise he's not going to Wakanda...

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

"Don't hit on my sister. Hit on me!"

That was my read on the line. Turns out there is a lot of gay subtext to the show that is pissing off the gay community. People are getting upset that Disney keeps all the man to man romance in subtext, like Poe and Finn in Star Wars, while keeping everything strictly hetero in the overt text.

Which, yeah, seems legit. I'd be pissed too if I felt like I was being catered to in a dirty little secret kind of way. I just hope the case has a crotchless Cap suit and an xoxo note from Bucky to Sam.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There is a significant dearth of healthy, intimate male relationships being shown in popular media. Every time two men are shown in anything other than an emotionally stunted, if not outright confrontational relationship with each other, this happens.

Men are allowed to be happy and emotionally intimate with each other without being sexually attracted to each other.

I believe that more gay relationships should be portrayed in media, and I understand feeling frustrated with the current state of affairs. But it's not some kind of vast conspiracy to blue ball gay viewers by showing two men being friends and bantering. The solution to a lack of representation isn't getting mad at others who are also lacking in representation. The solution is more representation across the board.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    There is a significant dearth of healthy, intimate male relationships being shown in popular media.
    Literally just in the MCU we have Iron Man and Spider-Man, Thor and Heimdall, Iron Man and War Machine, Spider-Man and Ned, Captain America and Bucky, Captain America and Falcon, Bucky and Falcon, Groot and Rocket, Ant-Man and Michael Douglas, Ant-Man and Michael Peña, Captain America and Nick Fury, Coulson and Nick Fury, Dr. Strange and Mordo, Dr. Strange and Wong... meanwhile please regale me with all the gays in the we've had so far.
    But it's not some kind of vast conspiracy to blue ball gay viewers by showing two men being friends and bantering.
    If you do not think there is a concerted effort at Disney to make sure the movies won't get banned in China then I don't know what to say.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    There is a significant dearth of healthy, intimate male relationships being shown in popular media.
    Literally just in the MCU we have Iron Man and Spider-Man, Thor and Heimdall, Iron Man and War Machine, Spider-Man and Ned, Captain America and Bucky, Captain America and Falcon, Bucky and Falcon, Groot and Rocket, Ant-Man and Michael Douglas, Ant-Man and Michael Peña, Captain America and Nick Fury, Coulson and Nick Fury, Dr. Strange and Mordo, Dr. Strange and Wong... meanwhile please regale me with all the gays in the we've had so far.
    But it's not some kind of vast conspiracy to blue ball gay viewers by showing two men being friends and bantering.
    If you do not think there is a concerted effort at Disney to make sure the movies won't get banned in China then I don't know what to say.

Any time a male character is emotionally vulnerable with another male, there's a subset of the internet that decides they must be dating. As has happened with each of the pairings you listed.

That said, there is absolutely a concerted effort by Disney to avoid depicting LGBT relationships. It's exactly the same corporate logic that made sure Will Smit wasn't cast opposite a white woman in Hitch.

Bolded:
    I mostly agree with you, but Hank Pym barely tolerates Scott and explicitly sees him as expendable cannon fodded. A bromance that is not.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    God damn do I love a good training montage. They should have cut that section to HEARTS ON FIRE. Run up that mountain Sam!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wow, they really fucked Walker. No pension or anything?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Wow, they really fucked Walker. No pension or anything?

Considering he's not in prison, I'd call it even

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm going to see a scene in this next episode where the two shields hit each other in mid-air and Walker's shield doesn't split in half immediately and I'm going to scream at my television when it happens.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Holy SHIT that fight. That was brutal. I think that might have been the most brutal fight in the MCU by virtue of being all humans and mostly practical effects, not tech armor or CGI alien murder gods.

And Bucky afterward,
    I've only watched up to the hearing but Bucky seems to resent Sam at the end of that fight, or maybe just himself. The silence was more painful to watch than that rocket assisted spine slam onto the shield.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Bolded:
    I mostly agree with you, but Hank Pym barely tolerates Scott and explicitly sees him as expendable cannon fodded. A bromance that is not.
    I only saw Ant Man & The Wasp once but I thought they warmed up to each other quite a bit. I'll have to rewatch it though.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Good episode, nice come down from previous episodes escalation. And holy shit Veep cameo! So one of you nerds who's that from the nerd books for nerds?

I hope this episode showed some of you guys that anothony mackie is also jacked, like come on guys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Who told Sam that doing cool flips is an integral part of Captain America's fighting style?

• Options
    Bolded:
    I only saw Ant Man & The Wasp once but I thought they warmed up to each other quite a bit. I'll have to rewatch it though.

Hank did warm up to Scott. It's just that warming up meant he from "if you died, I'd be annoyed I had to fix the holes in the suit" to "if you died, I'd probably go to your funeral."

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Good episode, nice come down from previous episodes escalation. And holy shit Veep cameo! So one of you nerds who's that from the nerd books for nerds?

I hope this episode showed some of you guys that anothony mackie is also jacked, like come on guys.

Someone who is likely to keep popping up going forward.
    Madame Hydra

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Someone who is likely to keep popping up going forward.
    Madame Hydra
    Equally likely they could be
    a SHIELD / SWORD / whatever agent, or a KGB agent. She's been all three.

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Excited for them to announce season 2 next week!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Some basic bitch spoilers about Julia Louis Dreyfus's character, and potential future.

According to the interboobs this was supposed to be her second appearance with her first one being in another marvel film. And they reportedly have "big plans" for her character.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It seems like Sam is not going to take the serum, since there's no longer any avenue for that to happen, and also he's not going to keep his wings and will instead emulate Steve's fighting style. I'm a bit surprised by that, no reason was given as to why he just walked away from his wings. I have to assume that there's a whole vibranium suit in that box which will augment his fighting abilities, and he'll beat Bootleg Cap next episode in a 1 on 1 fight to prove himself.

• Options
    Yeah I imagine it's probably a type of exosuit/armor? I mean honestly an african nation providing black captain america the means to defend himself... Well I don't hate it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    It seems like Sam is not going to take the serum, since there's no longer any avenue for that to happen, and also he's not going to keep his wings and will instead emulate Steve's fighting style. I'm a bit surprised by that, no reason was given as to why he just walked away from his wings. I have to assume that there's a whole vibranium suit in that box which will augment his fighting abilities, and he'll beat Bootleg Cap next episode in a 1 on 1 fight to prove himself.

Promotional stuff has shown him in a new suit with new wings, and while there's no actual photos or images from the show with it, there are of him in the new suit with shoulder straps for... something.

My guess: Vibranium wings, not suit.

• Options
    I will say I was initially dissapointed it looks like they were going to have us believe the US government wouldn't be ok with what not captain america did, like come on now with how the show is showing us how Marvel america is they wouldn't be ok with a terrorist getting extreme justice? And then here comes Julia Louis Dreyfus to say it out loud, thank you. Its probably why he wasn't court martialed, can't have him in prison.

Also hey batroc the leaper is back FUCK YEAH BATROC!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Sharon hiring Batroc...still looking out for a swerve about her true loyalties, but it seems pretty damning about her identity as
    the Power Broker. (Did you expect the forum's Mephisto meme since I used damning? Shame on you.)

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    So is Sharon all but basically confirmed as the Power Broker now? I’m curious if she’s gonna try to do to Karli what the US/Hyrda did to Isiah to get a new serum going.

When the screen went to black at the end of the episode, I was (internally) shouting, “What’s in the boooooox!” like Brad Pitt in Se7en.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    I will say I was initially dissapointed it looks like they were going to have us believe the US government wouldn't be ok with what not captain america did, like come on now with how the show is showing us how Marvel america is they wouldn't be ok with a terrorist getting extreme justice? And then here comes Julia Louis Dreyfus to say it out loud, thank you. Its probably why he wasn't court martialed, can't have him in prison.

The bigwigs didn’t take the mantle from Walker because he murdered someone.

They did it because he made them look bad.

• Options

I like that that was the message, but again at first I felt they were going to pull a "this is not who we are." when its 100% we are.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So is Sharon all but basically confirmed as the Power Broker now? I’m curious if she’s gonna try to do to Karli what the US/Hyrda did to Isiah to get a new serum going.

When the screen went to black at the end of the episode, I was (internally) shouting, “What’s in the boooooox!” like Brad Pitt in Se7en.

and, just like in se7en, it's the head of a person close to sam, i.e. Sarah!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Yeah I have a feeling if he killed the guy behind closed doors, he'd still be Cap. They just couldn't handle the PR fallout of seeing a dude in the red white and blues absolutely murder a man from 80 different angles.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Oh oh oh, I want Sam to get a Captain America style Black Panther suit! A gift from an ally!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Tweeter is one of my favorite internet rando goblins
    oh god damnit is that why falcon is sam

so he's uncle sam

oh fuck off

I said the exact same thing last night.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

Promotional stuff has shown him in a new suit with new wings, and while there's no actual photos or images from the show with it, there are of him in the new suit with shoulder straps for... something.

My guess: Vibranium wings, not suit.

This is from the comics, but I’m expecting something like this:
    wdrmzde2z8p7.jpeg

• Options
    Yeah, let's not discuss leaks from promos/toys that could spoil like, the last episode for people. It's fine to speculate but if you're citing actual stuff, just toss it behind spoilers.

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    If three bad guys stand in the same configuration as those trees, they're fucked.

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    If three bad guys stand in the same configuration as those trees, they're fucked.

Wait... What if those trees are bad guys??

2thsdu0muvc9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.