As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The US Congress

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Republicans have been doing this stuff long enough for the lunatics to actually be running the asylum. I think most of them genuinely want abortion to be illegal, or more accurately for now, vary in legality by state.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Republicans have been doing this stuff long enough for the lunatics to actually be running the asylum. I think most of them genuinely want abortion to be illegal, or more accurately for now, vary in legality by state.

Which was the problem with their game in the first place - you can only ride the tiger for so long.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    After the last 12 years of churn and obstruction, I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the GOP even knows how to write legislation.

Yes even you, "notes scrawled in the margins" tax cut bill.

Maybe that's why they haven't banned abortion yet.

Republicans don't want a Federal ban on abortion. They want SCOTUS to rule that it's up to the States so that they and their rich buddies can take daughters and mistresses on a 'California Vacation' while washing their hands of responsibility for the rise in maternal mortality.

Pretty much this. They don't want it banned they just want to make sure poor people can't access it while wealthy people still have full access. I think they also realize if they actually did a full ban that would be enough to rouse a LOT of people to actually make a law overturning that ban on a federal level and risk the removal of the hyde amendment nonsense.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    After the last 12 years of churn and obstruction, I'm starting to wonder if anyone in the GOP even knows how to write legislation.

Sure they do. So long as it's for restricting the vote.

They can't do that either. Look at the fucking shitshow farce that was the Trump tax cuts.

Private lobbying groups write all the legislation for them now and whenever actual republican lawmakers get their hands on it, they just make it less coherent.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

Maybe that's why they haven't banned abortion yet.

Republicans don't want a Federal ban on abortion. They want SCOTUS to rule that it's up to the States so that they and their rich buddies can take daughters and mistresses on a 'California Vacation' while washing their hands of responsibility for the rise in maternal mortality.

Pretty much this. They don't want it banned they just want to make sure poor people can't access it while wealthy people still have full access. I think they also realize if they actually did a full ban that would be enough to rouse a LOT of people to actually make a law overturning that ban on a federal level and risk the removal of the hyde amendment nonsense.

With the lack of vetting they've been doing when they tried to speedrun their court packing, I'm not sure that they won't trigger that trap card in the courts, either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The G10 Senators don’t necessarily need to write legislation themselves to be part of popular bills. There’s ten of them, they could easily have voted for quorum and passed the stimulus normally instead of forcing the Dems to use reconciliation if they wanted to do so. They just didn’t because they’re feckless cowards, afraid of Daddy Trump’s disapproval, and are now crying because their pwecious feefees are hurt.

It’s fucking pathetic.

Sure they are mostly cowards, but they also don't actually believe in these popular bills. Mitt Romney sits in arguably the safest seat in the Senate with zero reason to fear anyone. He was already an enemy of Trump's White House when he won with over 30% margin, but he'd rather see another recession than see taxes on smart wonderful business men like himself go up.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The G10 Senators don’t necessarily need to write legislation themselves to be part of popular bills. There’s ten of them, they could easily have voted for quorum and passed the stimulus normally instead of forcing the Dems to use reconciliation if they wanted to do so. They just didn’t because they’re feckless cowards, afraid of Daddy Trump’s disapproval, and are now crying because their pwecious feefees are hurt.

It’s fucking pathetic.

It actually kind of helped that their counterproposal was so ridiculously underpowered as to be laughable. Offer to meet Democrats halfway if they just cut a couple hundred billion off the thing for no reason other than bipartisan circle jerk? I can see that happening. Offer a proposal that's barely 1/3rd of what's being discussed? It's obviously just not even worth the time pretending. You'd get a better response pulling into a Maserati dealership trying to trade in your 2003 Honda Accord.

moniker on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There was an interesting poll that came out of quinnipiac that said Bidens infrastructure plan gets more popular with people when you tell them its paid for by corporate tax cuts, not less.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

Which was the problem with their game in the first place - you can only ride the tiger for so long.

what is the game/tiger in this case?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    There was an interesting poll that came out of quinnipiac that said Bidens infrastructure plan gets more popular with people when you tell them its paid for by corporate tax cuts, not less.

Paid for by reducing the cuts, raising corporate taxes, you mean?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Like this is the issue with the GOP right now in tweet form

Today, House Republican leaders accused Kamala Harris of being MIA on immigration matters.

One problem: At the same time, Harris was holding a White House meeting on immigration and announcing her plans to visit Mexico and Guatemala.

Tweeter is a huff post politics reporter.

The congressional GOP is complaining the VP isn't doing something at the exact moment she's hosting a press conference about that very thing. Just clown shoes.

The thing about their alternate reality is that Republicans and other conservative voters don't fact-check this stuff. So for all they know, it's quite true.

I don't think I can be more disgusted about how the GOP spent 4 fucking years blowing up everything involving immigration and now suddenly they and the conservative pundits are very concerned about a border crisis they themselves created. And this gotcha shit on Harris is just bonkers. A New York Post reporter tried ambush Psaki last week with the fact that Harris was in Chicago visiting a bakery instead of the border. If Harris had been at the border 24-7 since taking the job they'd be losing their shit about how she's hiding from her responsibilities in DC. I can't understand why Fox viewers even buy such transparent bullshit anymore.

Like how can Ted Cruz go on TV a month ago, hiding in the reeds like a god damn goober and going on about pregnant mothers nursing at the border like he actually cares, and not be struck by a bolt of lightning?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Fox viewers watch for marching orders and talking points not information. Their minds have been made up on everything for 40 years.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

Paid for by reducing the cuts, raising corporate taxes, you mean?

Right yeah sorry fucked that up, it goes up when people find out we're taxing corps to pay for it

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    In "You love to see it" news, Republicans are big mad at being treated (rightfully) like they're full of shit and their legislative priorities are a horror show.
    “Everything they support is defined as either Covid relief or infrastructure, and everything they oppose is like … Jim Crow voter suppression and evil,” this G-10 aide said. “And you constantly just feel like you’re in this gaslighting chamber of insanity. But it’s working.”

The “G-10” senators are: SHELLEY MOORE CAPITO of West Virginia, BILL CASSIDY of Louisiana, SUSAN COLLINS of Maine, JERRY MORAN of Kansas, LISA MURKOWSKI of Alaska, ROB PORTMAN of Ohio, MITT ROMNEY of Utah, MIKE ROUNDS of South Dakota, THOM TILLIS of North Carolina and TODD YOUNG of Indiana.

Dear G-10 senators,

Get fucked!

Yours truly,
    Heffling

• Options
    The senate did advance some kind of hate crimes bill forward today, I don't know over what hurdle it cleared, but the vote was 92-6, with the exact numb skulls you'd expect to be against hate crime bills in opposition.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Xaquin wrote: »

what is the game/tiger in this case?

The game is the established GOP using abortion, among other things, as wedge issues to maintain power. Successfully making abortion completely illegal would remove a tool for them to campaign on. The tiger is that their base has been fed that BS for years and now these fanatics are getting elected to public office in greater numbers, intent on following through on all the propaganda they’ve been fed for decades, which risks losing a valuable (to the GOP) wedge issue that helps sustain their power.

As an example, my cousin despises Trump, is happy about the stimulus, and approves of several Dem legislative ideas, but he’s catholic and refuses to vote Dem no matter how much they align with his views because of abortion. So he votes GOP, and they would most likely lose his vote if abortion was made illegal.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nah, if Republicans ssucceeded in making abortion illegal, they would continue to use it a wedge issue. "Don't vote for democrats or they'll make it legal again!"

If anything, it'll rile up their base more as they'll have been able to live in the reality they've wanted to for so long, and get to be scared shitless about it being taken away.

Like, if Republicans succeeded in removing every single gun control law in existence, that wouldn't stop them from campaigning on the idea that the Dems will take your guns if they get into power.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Then the GOP just runs on Democrats want to make abortion legal again.

Similar to how getting everything they wanted with regards to gun laws doesn’t stop them from getting those votes.

Or yeah what Undead Scottsman said.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

They absolutely have and the end of earmarks was the beginning of the end for the corporate GOP.

There are still some corporate GOPers but they all old blood and are never replaced.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Yeah if they were serious at working with the Democrats they could even try to negotiate something extra for their constituents. "I brought 5000 jobs to the state by tricking the idiot dems with meaningless legislation" would be be good for a primary for anyone actually paying attention. If they want to cross the aisle after so many bad faith actions it is on THEM to reach out.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Nah, if Republicans ssucceeded in making abortion illegal, they would continue to use it a wedge issue. "Don't vote for democrats or they'll make it legal again!"

If anything, it'll rile up their base more as they'll have been able to live in the reality they've wanted to for so long, and get to be scared shitless about it being taken away.

Like, if Republicans succeeded in removing every single gun control law in existence, that wouldn't stop them from campaigning on the idea that the Dems will take your guns if they get into power.

If they ever catch that car, I believe you are correct in that’s how they’d respond.

But it comes down to the GOP’s inability/unwillingness to govern. They had more than enough time between 2016 and 2018 to pass anti-abortion legislation and did nothing because the modern GOP doesn’t pass bills, they just run on culture and wedge issues to accumulate and maintain power.

I believe SCOTUS is supposed to be taking up more than one abortion cases this year, so I really hope I’m right on this.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    They (thankfully) couldn't even get 50 votes to repeal the ACA, when that was like the main thing they were campaigning on for the better part of a year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    The senate did advance some kind of hate crimes bill forward today, I don't know over what hurdle it cleared, but the vote was 92-6, with the exact numb skulls you'd expect to be against hate crime bills in opposition.

Probably water down to hell or some of the Rs thought it was in favor of hate crimes.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Sure, but it turns out that it's harder to rile people up once they get a win, for a number of documented reasons. I don't think it's coincidence that the NRA's house of cards collapsed in the middle of the Trump Administration, when they didn't have quite the external focus that they had previously.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Tweeter is a vox journalist with cspan video

Today in congress Maxine Waters found the time

"You need to respect the chair, and shut your mouth!" -- Maxine Waters to Jim Jordan

God damn do I hate Jim Jordan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tweeter is a vox journalist with cspan video

Today in congress Maxine Waters found the time

"You need to respect the chair, and shut your mouth!" -- Maxine Waters to Jim Jordan

God damn do I hate Jim Jordan.

They're a bunch of children. I remember Gohmert doing the "knocking on the table into a microphone" shit. And Gaetz busting into a NatSec closed session with a bunch of cronies (that I believe he was entitled to attend, I know quite a few of that mob were).

I understand that sometimes you need to derail things through "point of order" style tactics. But the way in which they do it, is generally juvenile as fuck.

• Options
    "What is the number?! Give us the number?!" This isn't how science works, you dumb fuck.

Jesus tapdancing Christ what a prick.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    that video sadly plays really well with his constituents though :/
    as much as i'd like fauci to tell him the number is 1 while gesturing with his hand, the onus is on clyburn to know this shit is coming from jordan at all times and shut that shit down before he can go there

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    that video sadly plays really well with his constituents though :/
    as much as i'd like fauci to tell him the number is 1 while gesturing with his hand, the onus is on clyburn to know this shit is coming from jordan at all times and shut that shit down before he can go there

Pretty much. His whole deal (and many others') is to be a massive child in session and then go on Fox news later that night or the next day to take a victory lap for owning the libs.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

This is you regular reminder that McConnell could not get his caucus together WRT a stimulus check before the election. This is despite that being a potentially game winning move and their golden idol calling for it.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »

This is you regular reminder that McConnell could not get his caucus together WRT a stimulus check before the election. This is despite that being a potentially game winning move and their golden idol calling for it.

Well, he CHOSE not to. The votes were there. Plenty of them. He just needed to cross the aisle.

It's why when Republicans bitch about a lack of bipartisanship, they can fuck right off, the whiny little hypocritical assholes.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Well, he CHOSE not to. The votes were there. Plenty of them. He just needed to cross the aisle.

It's why when Republicans bitch about a lack of bipartisanship, they can fuck right off, the whiny little hypocritical assholes.

Usually when a Republican does this, they are saying compromise means I get some of what I want, and you get some more of what I want, too.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Usually when a Republican does this, they are saying compromise means I get some of what I want, and you get some more of what I want, too.

Usually it’s something like when Trump pardoned Blagojevic - a “favor” that’s actually insulting.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Agreed. However, my point was not about the overall possibility of passing a stimulus bill or Republican hypocrisy. My point is that the party known for being lockstep is not quite as lockstep as it used to be. Republicans purposefully used lies and deception to cultivate their base, but their plan went horribly right. That base is voting for what they want, what they want is madness, that madness does not align with the rational evil of the party, so we see schisms.

Right now it looks like those schism have stopped because Republicans have a common enemy to fight in the Biden administration. If and how those schisms will affect congress is yet to be seen.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Manu Raju wrote:
    Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert were the lone two members to vote against a bill that would reauthorize the National Marrow Donor Program, which matches bone marrow donors and cord blood units with patients who have leukemia and other diseases

The bill passed 415-2

Manu Raju is CNN's Chief Congressional Correspondent.

?????????

This kind of bill is a political slam dunk. Easy peasy squeeze the lemon obvious good news and vibes. Even the other Republicans there voted for this. Do these two idiots (in the very contested running for stupidest person in Congress) think that this is involved with aborted fetuses somehow? Or are they just voting against everything?

I have no idea. I almost don't want to know.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    ?????????

This kind of bill is a political slam dunk. Easy peasy squeeze the lemon obvious good news and vibes. Even the other Republicans there voted for this. Do these two idiots (in the very contested running for stupidest person in Congress) think that this is involved with aborted fetuses somehow? Or are they just voting against everything?

Odds are, they think this is a forcible measure, or a "slippery slope" to it being a forcible measure, where people who match are required to donate.

It's stupid, but these two have shown themselves to be Rookie Of The Year candidates for stupid, maybe even MVSP?

Women breaking the glass ceiling. Yasss queen! Previously, "dumbest idiot in Congress" has been dominated by male candidates like Gohmert, (Rand) Paul, Goser and (Ron) Johnson, among many others. Nearly always Republican, but that was a given.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Social media has been equating cord blood donations with abortion for years, to the point that our OB's "starter packet" for first time pregnancies had a whole booklet debunking it.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Manu Raju wrote:
    Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert were the lone two members to vote against a bill that would reauthorize the National Marrow Donor Program, which matches bone marrow donors and cord blood units with patients who have leukemia and other diseases

The bill passed 415-2

Manu Raju is CNN's Chief Congressional Correspondent.

?????????

Greene keeps making motions to adjourn the House (or she was, maybe leadership got in her face), so her goal is nothing but disruption and/or not passing anything. Same with Boebert minus the motions to adjourn. There is zero consequence for these reps' votes because their voters didn't send them to DC to govern. They sent them to be culture-warriors.

• Options
    Best guess is they’re trolling to generate outrage so they can grift money from their rubes supporters.

I wouldn’t look for a reason deeper than that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Both are doing this solely to keep themselves in the conversation. They're House reps who'd fall out of the public consciousness in a second if they didn't keep pulling this shit. They're basically addicts, looking for their next sliver of attention.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.