Options

New [Fashion] thread. Quite stylish.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Anyone have tips on finding a lightweight tailored / fitted looking zip up hoodie?

Everything in finding is either a garbage bag or pullover.

Looking for something to layer over my standard issue star wars / brewery / video game tshirt

https://losangelesapparel.net/collections/men-sweatshirts/products/f97-flex-fleece-zip-up-hoodie?variant=1384850620422

or if you want to go bougie

https://www.american-giant.com/products/mens-classic-full-zip-blue-spruce

Now can someone tell me where to buy suspenders?

I kind of want to try being a suspenders guy this year.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've read a little about american giant before, are they really that good?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    etzdxz5wgn23.jpg

4di4he0j98dy.jpg

Couple new purchases. The material is a nylon/polyester blend, so its really breathable. Just comfortable shirts!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I wouldn't call those american giant hoodies lightweight per se, they're very warm. High quality though, got mine as a present like five years ago and it's still going strong.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    The material is a nylon/polyester blend, so its really breathable. Just comfortable shirts!
    giphy.gif

quick textile infodump.
    technical fabrics can be good at wicking, or repelling water, but particularly with synthetics, breathability is mostly a result of weave (and thus the fabric, not the fiber.)
    you want fibers that are more likely to be inherently breathable, that's still the purview of natural ones like wool and cotton, which absorb moisture and allow evaporation because of the internal structures. the core of extruded fibers (ie, most synthetics) are too smooth to function the same way, so the weave is what allows some compensation.
    a heavy cotton canvas is going to be less breathable than a light wool gauze, despite wool being a better insulator and otherwise warmer fiber. a nylon mesh can wick or simply allow more air through.

ime, nylon and polyester are the opposite of breathable given my clothing needs, but glad it's working for you.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah I had a similar reaction to that sentence, although with less of the actual science behind it

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The shirts have mesh and vents and whatnot, so that must make them breathable? I dont need to know how an engine works to drive a car, or html to post on the internet, but I appreciate the textile lesson!

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey y'all!
    I uh... Quarantine means I haven't really bought new clothes in an age. I did get a fun leather apron that was my grandpa's from way way back in the day.

My current clothing choices as of late have been

GET YER DWARVEN CRAFTS
    Ld3Zgtnl.jpg

Generic clothing items put together for whatever approximation of comfort can be attained
    yq40S77l.jpg

Let's go work out!
    iUHdQUol.png

Hope you've all been doing well!
    Stay safe and stay snazzy looking and rad, you lot

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    after going for the mohawk at the start of (and for the bulk of) quarantine, I've been letting it grow out again since the holidays, and now it's approaching the longest I've ever had it - which isn't LONG long, but relative to my usual short styles

and then I watched Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol yesterday and saw Tom Cruise's hair in that and thought "yeah I bet I can pull that off" so now I'm gonna just... see how this goes, I guess!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I am also in the longest my hair has ever been state

Let it keep going I say

I’m going bald at some point better enjoy it while I can

poo
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah, if you've got it flaunt it

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was due for a haircut when the pandemic started, and I haven't done even rudimentary home-snips

My hair's down past my nips, at this point, shit's getting really out of hand

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fun historical clothing info!

I have worn my War of 1812 uniform in 105 degree heat. It is made up of multiple layers of linen, cotton, and wool. It is so breathable and good at pulling away moisture that, once you have sweated through it, so long as there is a light breeze, it is actually fairly comfortable so long as you keep drinking water and don’t mind leaving wet butt imprints whenever you stand up.

When the heat got that high we actually just kept the coatees on all day as once you take them off, they become bastards to put back on.

Also fuck everything if there is no breeze or also high humidity.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fun historical clothing info!

I have worn my War of 1812 uniform in 105 degree heat. It is made up of multiple layers of linen, cotton, and wool. It is so breathable and good at pulling away moisture that, once you have sweated through it, so long as there is a light breeze, it is actually fairly comfortable so long as you keep drinking water and don’t mind leaving wet butt imprints whenever you stand up.

When the heat got that high we actually just kept the coatees on all day as once you take them off, they become bastards to put back on.

Also fuck everything if there is no breeze or also high humidity.

I mean, the second biggest battleground killer for most of recorded history has been heat stroke

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I was due for a haircut when the pandemic started, and I haven't done even rudimentary home-snips

Yeah same here, I have to put my hair into a ponytail at this point, I really am looking forward to getting a haircut after I'm fully vaccinated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i have Bathroom Mohawk (TM)

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Im thinkin bout getting myself a crazy mullet for like a week or two and then getting rid of all the party in the back and just having short hair for a while

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Sorce wrote: »

Yeah same here, I have to put my hair into a ponytail at this point, I really am looking forward to getting a haircut after I'm fully vaccinated.

I've discovered that I do like having it a bit on the long side, so at least there's that. Think I'll get it trimmed to like shoulder-length, once I'm vaxxxed and maxxxed
    Sleep wrote: »
    Im thinkin bout getting myself a crazy mullet for like a week or two and then getting rid of all the party in the back and just having short hair for a while

I had my hair cut like Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China for a Halloween costume. And then I just kept it like that for, like, a month.

It was real fun, staunchly recommend.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    u45xqikjbatp.jpg
    mykl25ld6pix.jpg

Went to Old Navy as some of you recommended, and coincidentally one of my best female friends also backed up.

It was good to go with someone that has fashion sense because it gave me confidence in my picks (she agreed with the majority of them) and she gave me good tips on pieces I would want to add that would mix well with stuff I already have.

Pretty happy with my purchases, especially that chameleon shirt but I also really liked the white jeans and think they'll be good for an attention catching outfit.

Biggest surprise is how hard it is to find jeans in my size. Who knew 29X32 was such a popular size?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Fashion thread, I have a problem.

You know that strawberry dress? The cute fluffy glittery pink femme confection that the internet raved about last year??

The designer made it in BLACK and now I want it.

2ckli8qc5xqp.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Get that dress girl

• Options
    Pretty happy with this outfit

mxhi23tcxw49.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Lookin' Sharp. Your cat also seems pleased. If you're going to go with a lot of button ups it might be worth thinking about getting a nice watch to accessorize with it. Like an actual mechanical with some complications. Nothing crazy, but I think it would look good.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    A hat too, something with a brim around the whole thing though, not a snapback.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have a pile of dead watches that they keep meaning to take to a place to get new batteries put in? I keep almost buying new watches, when I have perfectly good ones in a drawer that just need new batteries.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a pile of dead watches that they keep meaning to take to a place to get new batteries put in? I keep almost buying new watches, when I have perfectly good ones in a drawer that just need new batteries.

The timex weekender that I love has languished so, so long.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hmmm. Ben Sherman is selling of 100% 3 piece wool suits for 50-90€ currently. Some really nice colours, too.

But I'm not going to need a new suit anytime soon. And their sizing is a bit inconsistent, anyway.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

2 watches isn't a pile.. right?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

if the watches are both still in one piece, no

if for some reason they've been broken down to their component parts, you could have yourself a pile of dead watches

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

if the watches are both still in one piece, no

if for some reason they've been broken down to their component parts, you could have yourself a pile of dead watches

I've not been that bored yet so.. so far so good.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm unfortunately dense and lumpy and I need t-shirts that don't suck.

I've looked at the Barbell Apparel shirts and they look exactly like what I want/need but at $48 bucks a pop I probably won't be buying them any time soon.

Does anybody have an reccomendations for some decent muscle cut or thicc boy shirts that aren't gonna bankrupt me but also not disintegrate in the wash or make me look like I'm wearing either a circus tent or I'm a couple of butterball turkeys stuffed haphazardly into a tube sock.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The latter part of your post is entirely about buying shirts that fit, instead of shirts that are too large. It's mostly a thing where you really want to try some on until you find a size/brand that fits.

Also a lot of T shirt companies are actually just printing companies and they just add logos onto American Apparel or Hanes or Gildan t shirts. Not sure if this barbell apparel is a manufacturer or not.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I just dress like if Dan from Roseanne was a hipster.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    rhlyd8n8xrj4.jpg
    Got lots of compliments on this outfit.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    As well you should.

• Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hoo boy I've talked about this before but I'm gonna need to find a skin care routine. My face do be aging. People routinely think I'm about 8 to 10 years older than I am, which was fun when I was 19 or 20 but is getting significantly less so as I get closer to 30. Especially if I'm on third shift I start to look like Anton Ego from Ratatouille but with a beard.

I know like, scrubs and stuff aren't going to help that exactly but maybe it can take the edge off a little and make me not look so... murdery. $50 for one tube of a series of three different tubes of things you need to slap on your mug seems excessive to me, though. Can I just like, go outside and stick my face in a puddle? All this red Carolina clay has to be good for something.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    an esker brush can help remove excess oil and dry skin, then put some lotion on and that should be enough

• Options
    exfoliate and lotion with vitamin e

maybe a toner if you're looking like a saint bernard

• Options
    I'm continuing leather jacket hunt, I'm currently looking at a place called Independence Brothers which promises bespoke and semi-customizable leather jackets for a fairly reasonable price (which I don't fully trust, but we'll see).

How do folks feel about gray? I'm specifically looking at this jacket (gray lambskin, black rayon lining, gunmetal hardware):

y3o46j3cdieg.png

I love a black leather jacket but I kind of want something distinct, especially if I'm going through a place that specializes in that sort of distinction.