Options

We Bid A Fond Farewell To The "Rush Limbaugh Died" Thread, Not Him

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    When I was single digits, I used to ride in the back of my Dad's pickup truck while he whipped around corners and pumped the brakes at random intervals trying to knock me down. The 80s were different

Fond memories of icy winter streets and hookybobbing behind vehicles at 10-15 mph

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    When I was single digits, I used to ride in the back of my Dad's pickup truck while he whipped around corners and pumped the brakes at random intervals trying to knock me down. The 80s were different

We would tandem some GT snoracers with rope to the back of the youth van and go flying down snowy roads , I still dunno how we are alive.

Jesus Christ, GTs are dangerous enough on their own, how did you not Final Destination this

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like I grew up in a time where we were all actively trying to die

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I feel like I grew up in a time where we were all actively trying to die

A cousin of mine once liberated a tray from a McDonald's, put wax on it, and slid down a snowhill on it like a toboggan

Cracked his collarbone clean through

He survived and is a paramedic now!

Steam
  • Options
    That is totally something we would have done when I was young!

I used to climb trees to go play on people's roofs

We're talking like two, three story houses and apartment buildings

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My parents had this big squishy foam booster seat for my sister which I would sit in when available until I was at least six or seven, because it was incredibly comfortable. It was like being hugged.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I used to explore abandoned buildings and storm drains when I was 6-10. Parents were very stupid in general in the 80’s. I was just generally known to be “outside” for 30% of any given day.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I went down to the southern tier of NY one time to visit my cousins and they taught me how to climb up telephone poles

every adult there was totally fine with this situation

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I was a latchkey kid during most of my school career

when I'd lose my key, I'd climb up to my window which I kept unlocked for exactly this situation

it was cool until my neighbor saw me and told my parents. narc.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    I used to explore abandoned buildings and storm drains when I was 6-10. Parents were very stupid in general in the 80’s. I was just generally known to be “outside” for 30% of any given day.

I also walked to school, alone until I had some friends, then in a group of just kids, from when I was like 7 or 8

I feel like this isn't done much anymore

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    I read about how the increase in all these safety factors is making kids too risk averse now as a side effect. like there are no more monkey bars on a lot of playgrounds because kids might fall and hurt themselves.

when I was a kid there was a bunch of them on the playground including one really difficult one that had a V shape incline/decline on it. it was the pinnacle of kid aspirations

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've been on a true crime kick lately and the number of cases from the 70s 80s & 90s that start with something like "she was a normal 12 year old who was hitchhiking to the beach" is just, lordy.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    My parents didn't lock the front door in my hometown, unless we were leaving on a trip.

We walked to and from school every day, a little under a mile.

One time at age 12ish my parents had me take a Greyhound bus from upstate NY to Boston, and a local bus from there to a Boston suburb to my grandparents' house. I still don't know how I managed that one without getting lost/taken. Didn't even have a cell phone.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    I read about how the increase in all these safety factors is making kids too risk averse now as a side effect. like there are no more monkey bars on a lot of playgrounds because kids might fall and hurt themselves.

when I was a kid there was a bunch of them on the playground including one really difficult one that had a V shape incline/decline on it. it was the pinnacle of kid aspirations

There are definitely still monkey bars

A lot of modern parks use foam instead of sandboxes though, which is better for impact and probably a thousand times more hygienic than "oops, fell into a pile of used glass"

Steam
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

Other changes may be leading to increased risk aversion in kids, I don't know. But playground changes definitely do not. A lot of 'safer' play structures just meant kids had to get creative to have their thrills, making the new structures even less safe. So many places are going back to improving some of the better older equipment

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

There are definitely still monkey bars

A lot of modern parks use foam instead of sandboxes though, which is better for impact and probably a thousand times more hygienic than "oops, fell into a pile of used glass"

Can’t forget the cat poop!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    When I was eight years old I took a flight on a plane by myself from Oregon to Pennsylvania. There was even a layover. It's kind of amazing to think about now.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    they might still exist but there has been a definitely move to phase out both monkey bars and high slides. I believe australia in particular has had a big push to remove them from playgrounds

we had gravel to comfort our falls

Jars on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    We had pea-gravel in our school playground, one of those wooden ones built in the 80s that everyone recognizes when a picture makes the social rounds.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Best playground equipment after the swing set was the rectangle prism lattice jungle gym that was like 6 or 7 feet tall.

Especially if you could get hold of a ball and carry it to the top and drop the ball in like you are playing 3 dimensional plinko

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    x
    Ranlin wrote: »

Other changes may be leading to increased risk aversion in kids, I don't know. But playground changes definitely do not. A lot of 'safer' play structures just meant kids had to get creative to have their thrills, making the new structures even less safe. So many places are going back to improving some of the better older equipment

Risk aversion seems to be a cultural shift all over.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Not surprising when a small injury can bankrupt you and ruin your life, really.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I know it’s likely personal bias, but it really seems that essentially all the previous generations didn’t give even half a shit about human life.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    The playground at my elementary school had a fuckin' zip-line.

They took it down after about 3 weeks because it was too awesome.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Not surprising when a small injury can bankrupt you and ruin your life, really.

yeah like this could be a big dummie thought from me but if we had national healthcare wouldn't injury lawsuits be less of an issue?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I know it’s likely personal bias, but it really seems that essentially all the previous generations didn’t give even half a shit about human life.

I think we've definitely seen a huge cultural shift on that in just the last hundred years. There was a palpable "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" attitude even a couple of generations ago. The first World's Fair had a startlingly huge death toll.

tynic on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Honestly I think the biggest reason playgrounds and shit are getting safer isn't because people are being safety-minded for the sake of the kids, so much as doing it because it's much cheaper than being litigated. A kid at my elementary school got a compression fracture on his C6 or C7 (or both) falling off the top of the jungle gym, onto the concrete-ass ground beneath it, and his parents decided to sue the school for exactly his medical costs.

Nowadays were that to happen, that school would be shouldering a 7-digit lawsuit versus $25k.

• Options
    I don't think my parents ever considered litigation for the times I fucked myself up when I was a kid

• Options
    The fact that I have never broken a home in my life is mostly sheer luck

That jungle gym I mentioned up thread? Just concrete under it. No rubber.

• Options
    It's not a coincidence, holding companies responsible for the harm they cause was a huge part of the post-war labour and environmental movements. The playground safety thing is kind of a trickle down beneficiary.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Used to be a chemist could blow half a dozen bystanders to smithereens with a new sort of extra explosive gun cotton and that would only secure them numerous production contracts

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh hey Caitlyn Jenner is here to run for governor of California and make sure trans girls can’t go out for sports

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/02/caitlyn-jenner-says-she-opposes-transgender-girls-competing-girls-sports/

Privilege: still a hell of a drug

Fuck Caitlyn btw

• Options
    What if rush limbaugh's grave marker was some kind of kids play equipment

• Options
    a lot of our sensibility of death comes from the declining infant mortality rate. go back a few hundred years ago and you have the church telling people not to love their children because half of them are going to die as infants.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Oh hey Caitlyn Jenner is here to run for governor of California and make sure trans girls can’t go out for sports

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/02/caitlyn-jenner-says-she-opposes-transgender-girls-competing-girls-sports/

Privilege: still a hell of a drug

Fuck Caitlyn btw

First, there was traitor. And that was bad.

Then, there was class traitor. And it was only good if rich people did it.

Then there was race traitor. And it was only good if white people did it.

Then there was sex traitor. And it was only good when men did it.

And now, introducing... the trans traitor! It's bad, and no, cis people can't do it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That's disgusting. It's covered in piss.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

That's disgusting. It's covered in piss.

This lines up with my experience in elementary school yes

• Options
    Kids gotta pee somewhere.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Talking about unsafe car rides made me think of some fond memories I had riding in the bed of a truck as a kid and teen. Lying in the back late at night watching the sky and stars pass by was a surprisingly chill experience.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    ugh, I'm not even scared or grossed out by bugs but I catch one mosquito on me and my body just instinctively says "you're covered in them, hundreds."

and I have to vigorously scratch my suddenly itchy entire body.

This discussion has been closed.