As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All the [Love]ly people

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    contemporary music has more in common with the 80s than the 90s I think. everything is very synthy

sometimes I find myself wondering if phil collins would be popular as a new artist today. I think the answer is no

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Music is the stuff that comes out of the ice cream trucks and speakers on the elevator right

The reason I don't know jack and or shit about contemporary music for the most part is because I don't listen to the radio. I just can't stand ads.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    contemporary music has more in common with the 80s than the 90s I think. everything is very synthy

sometimes I find myself wondering if phil collins would be popular as a new artist today. I think the answer is no

He also wouldn't make the same music if he was starting out as a new artist today.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I couldn't tell you shit about any current mainstream artists. Most of my new finds come from like roots or indie folk Americana playlists or something from Spotify. But unfortunately like, 95% of them I don't like so I skip until I find the one gem.

I apparently have exceedingly picky taste in music these days but if you ask me to describe what it is I actually like I could not tell you. It's not at all genre specific I will either give it a slow, Nero thumbs up or thumbs down.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The only new band I started listening to in the last decade and a half was the Long Winters, and we all saw how that turned out.

I'll stick to bands that already served their sentences, thank you very much.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I have listened to some good music made since 2010. some of it you would hear in the radio, but not most

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I get most of the music I listen to on bandcamp
    But I gave up on the radio way back in the early 90's as I started to listen to the college stations and such because I was deep in country territory. I do find it funny someone I work with listens to 90's country when I knew of several people back then who hated it yet both groups give the same excuse as to why

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The newest music I’ve listened to lately is probably the Nier Automata soundtrack, which probably says something about me but I don’t know what
    It’s weeb, right? It’s probably weeb

• Options
    I don't see any problem with that. I mean I bought an apartment in FF14 just to set up a nier playlist with the crossover music and I don't even play the nier games
    crap we're both weebs aren't we

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Bandcamp is the bessst.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    That I don't want kids is starting to become a sticking point in my relationship and I'm not sure what to do about it

And I'm starting to wonder if I'm a cold fish. And a little selfish by nature

Solar on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean you do mysteriously disappear whenever it’s your shout Solar.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    That I don't want kids is starting to become a sticking point in my relationship and I'm not sure what to do about it

And I'm starting to wonder if I'm a cold fish. And a little selfish by nature

Children is a BFD and if you know you do not want them and your partner knows they do, then unfortunately what you do is break up.

Like, you can have calm, rational, loving conversations about it, but unless you genuinely believe you’re capable of making a shift in that line of thinking, that’s not really reconcilable.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    (it is also absolutely okay and your right to not want children despite what society will try to tell you, and you are not selfish for not wanting children)

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The newest music I’ve listened to lately is probably the Nier Automata soundtrack, which probably says something about me but I don’t know what
    It’s weeb, right? It’s probably weeb

It's good music regardless of that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    we're at the point where having children is something you need to think long and hard about since it's the biggest way you can increase your carbon footprint

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    (it is also absolutely okay and your right to not want children despite what society will try to tell you, and you are not selfish for not wanting children)

The idea that not having children is the selfish choice is absolutely wild to me

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    On that note I think it should be pointed out that personal carbon footprints are not nearly as much of a problem as corporate ones, and the idea that you personally should be trying to reduce yours was made up by corporate entities to push the burden off of themselves in people's minds

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    On that note I think it should be pointed out that personal carbon footprints are not nearly as much of a problem as corporate ones, and the idea that you personally should be trying to reduce yours was made up by corporate entities to push the burden off of themselves in people's minds

Thiiiiiiiiis. It infuriates me.

• Options
    What is it, 100 companies are responsible for 70% of emissions or something like that?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I am responsible for a large amount of methane footprint tbh

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    There are many reasons to want or not want kids (and either way is totally valid because some people don't want a parenting lifestyle and that's okay!) but guilting people who want them for their carbon use is shitty unless their baby is going to be in charge of three conglomerates and maybe a couple fossil fuel companies to round out the portfolio

Besides they have such tiny feet, they can't possibly leave much of a footprint

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I don't really have a strong stance on the morality of having or not having children, at least as it pertains to the well-being of those hypothetical children. I suspect that as a person who exists, I have some strong biases around existence, and I have yet to hear any pros or cons from people who don't exist.

Although I guess I didn't exist for billions of years, so I suppose I could claim some prior expertise. So by that measure it's existing that I'm woefully inexperienced in. Hmm.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    My worry that I'm selfish by nature isn't really to do with my desire not to have kids, but more I suppose my lack of desire to compromise things in my lifestyle for a romantic partner

• Options
    god damn corporations

• Options
    My worry that I'm selfish by nature isn't really to do with my desire not to have kids, but more I suppose my lack of desire to compromise things in my lifestyle for a romantic partner

Everyone's selfish to varying degrees. When it becomes a problem is when you aren't self aware of it. Here, for instance, you've simply said "I don't want to compromise." Which I think is actually kinda fine if you're upfront about it?

When that becomes a problem is when someone expects partners to compromise for them or just accept them unquestioningly, or accuse their partner of being unreasonable if they ask for compromise (which to be clear I do NOT think you are doing or have done).

It could just be that a traditional long term relationahip is not for you. Or, a monogamous relationship may not fit but a polycule might (in my experience they tend to have a higher number of folks just doing their own thing). Or, you may just need to find a very specific kind of partner. Etc.

If you understand this about yourself and don't make it someone else's problem, I don't necessarily think the stance is itself unethical.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Yeah this, like I feel bad about this shit but it's 99.99% on industry and they keep buying ad campaigns to tell everyone it's 99.99% on everyone personally and not on capitalism. It's a fucking scam. Like recyclable plastic.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    man we were lied to so much back in the 90s about recycling

• Options
    The new grift is "compostable" food containers designed to feel like paper texture that are only actually compostable if hypothetical specialized facilities exist in your region (they don't!)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    there's a frontline about plastic here(note: 53 minutes long) and sure enough there is some corporate shill going "well one time reusable plastics are bad, but you see if we got more of them back as recyclable material.."

Jars on
  • Options
    sm4zfdihhi8y.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

Everyone's selfish to varying degrees. When it becomes a problem is when you aren't self aware of it. Here, for instance, you've simply said "I don't want to compromise." Which I think is actually kinda fine if you're upfront about it?

When that becomes a problem is when someone expects partners to compromise for them or just accept them unquestioningly, or accuse their partner of being unreasonable if they ask for compromise (which to be clear I do NOT think you are doing or have done).

It could just be that a traditional long term relationahip is not for you. Or, a monogamous relationship may not fit but a polycule might (in my experience they tend to have a higher number of folks just doing their own thing). Or, you may just need to find a very specific kind of partner. Etc.

If you understand this about yourself and don't make it someone else's problem, I don't necessarily think the stance is itself unethical.

Poly relationships are something I have been thinking about

And it is something that my partner and I have discussed, and it has not been dismissed. But it isn't something either of us has done before

Another element of it is I can't really see myself looking at someone and thinking "this is the only person I am going to sleep with for the rest of my life, assuming everything goes to plan"

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Was having a great day, helped partners parents with a bunch of housework, we went and toured a living history 1800s fort, then I got hit in the head with a giant wooden beam.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The new grift is "compostable" food containers designed to feel like paper texture that are only actually compostable if hypothetical specialized facilities exist in your region (they don't!)

There's a single use plastics ban coming to Canada, which is leading to some potentially, actually green products from some of the franchises like Tim Hortons, where you'll basically be paying a deposit and then bringing containers back to exchange in a program called Loop

They're also going to be piloting it in grocery stores with some name brand stuff if I remember right
    https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/loop-and-loblaw-to-bring-circular-shopping-platform-to-canada-868732954.html

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I feel like glass is way more sustainable and stylish than plastic and we should go back to using glass bottles and tinctures and such. Reject modernity embrace tradition, drink a mountain dew Baja blast from a glass bottle and feel like it is a potion.

I have no idea if that's actually true or not but I like the idea.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    the sand needed for glassmaking (and concrete I guess?) has pretty specific qualities and our sources of it are probably going to become highly scarce within 20 years according to a random article I just saw while searched for information about that. Woo.
    At least glass is ACTUALLY indefinitely recyclable, as far as I am aware.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

Uh, lemme know if you want to talk about solo polyamory :+1:

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wine skins and hip flasks are the future! The terrible, sexy future.

• Options
    glass comes out about even in recycling, I believe. maybe a little ahead. metals are recyclable too. paper isn't really but that's not as bad since it comes from a renewable resource and doesn't stick around forever like plastic.