Options

Transformers: May 8th is the 40th anniversary!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I would like to strike a happy medium between "cool toys" and "fuck off expensive" (but would consider 'fuck off expensive' for something cool enough).
    I would like a Jetfire and a Starscream for sure.
    Possibly a Shockwave and a Soundwave.
    Possibly also a Ratchet.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I would like to strike a happy medium between "cool toys" and "fuck off expensive" (but would consider 'fuck off expensive' for something cool enough).
    I would like a Jetfire and a Starscream for sure.
    Possibly a Shockwave and a Soundwave.
    Possibly also a Ratchet.

With the links below, the WFC stuff is all lined up, so just scroll down to see the versions I mentioned.

For Jetfire, With the War for Cybertron line, they released a "Commander" class that is fairly large compared to other mainline Hasbro toys. Sadly, it's a few years old at this point and sold out most places, and going for nearly double retail on Amazon (Retail is $80). They do have an "Evergreen" line that they sell at places like Walgreens, that is smaller and cheaper.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Jetfire_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege

Starscream should be fairly available. There are 3 current versions: Siege, which is a Cybertron Tetrajet; Earthrise, which is an F-15, and Kingdom, which is an itty bitty small "Core" model that has high articulation but is only a couple inches tall. And of course, all the seekers have multiple versions. But this is also something where you can go "fuck off expensive" for cool: They are making Masterpiece Starscream ver 2.0, which is very cartoon accurate.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Starscream_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/137851

Shockwave was part of Siege at the Leader class level, $50. It turns into a space battleship that sure looks like an upside-down gun. It does have some extra bits and bobs, but it's overall not a bad model.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shockwave_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege

Soundwave has a few different flavors. The Wal-mart netflix exclusive one turns into a proper boombox, as does the Kingdom Core model.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Soundwave_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege

I think Ratchet is traditionally a Walgreens exclusive.
    https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ratchet_(G1)/toys#War_for_Cybertron:_Siege

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Problem is while a lot of the toys you're looking for exist, they're kinda of sold out.

I usually get my transformers from Entertainment Earth, Big Bad Toy Store, Amazon or Hasbro Pulse. The figures you'd want to try and find are

War for Cybertron: Siege Commander Class Jetfire: MSRP $80

WfC: Earthrise Voyager Class Starscream: MSRP $30

WfC Netflix Soundwave w/ Laserbeak and Ravage: MSRP $40? and Walmart exclusive, IIRC.

WfC Siege Shockwave: MSRP $50

Generations Selects Paradron Medics Ratchet and Lifeline: MSRP $50? Amazon Exclusive

• Options
    Thanks gang. I appreciate the insight. I was completely lost.
    I even went up to TRU to look around and a lot of the figures just looked like trash so this is super helpful.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Thanks gang. I appreciate the insight. I was completely lost.
    I even went up to TRU to look around and a lot of the figures just looked like trash so this is super helpful.

Something else to consider - which sucks - is that there's a big rash of scalpers going on now. Lots of people with free time buying up stuff from regular stores in an effort to flip it. Target, Walmart, and other stores like that have been barren. You're also only likely to see Kingdom or the other Transformers series' that are aimed at a younger audience.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah Christ I'm going to end up buying that $260 Starscream, aren't I?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I just started watching that War for Cybertron show on Netflix and it's pretty cool.
    Now I want some cool Transformers toys. In looking at stuff online I am so.fucking.confused.

There are a lot of things!

The Transformers War for Cybertron line has three sections:

The first was Siege, which is basically all Cybertronian vehicle modes. It also introduced weaponizers, which were bots that instead of really "transforming" you would pull them all apart and they could be reassembled (aka "partsforming") as some alt mode (sometimes a little base which could attach to larger bases) OR they could be attached to other bots as weapons and power-ups.

The second was Earthrise, which is basically all Earth vehicle modes. A lot of the bots and transformations remained mostly the same as their Siege versions, just some remolding to make them normal Earth vehicles.

The third is Kingdom, which is what is available now, and it’s a lot of Beast Wars characters, some new fossil guys that are basically the same as the weaponizers above but made of bones, and also some other things peppered in that probably would be more Earthrise like Tracks or Studio Series 86 like Cyclonus.

Oh yeah, there's the Studio Series line which has been putting out TFs as they appeared in the movies. Originally this was Bayverse stuff, but recently it's SS86 and is stuff from the old animated movie like Kup.

Stupid BotP

Copying just for info on how the current line is broken up.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The Masterpiece one? It just started shipping a day or so ago. People have already started getting their copies in hand (I think mostly in like... Japan). Plenty of in-hand pictures around. I expect that video reviews (so you can check out e.g. the transformation) will start popping up any day now.

• Options

The only reason I'm not?

This dusty boi right here.

svwafKph.jpg

• Options
    I literally just dusted off my own version of that dusty boi a few minutes ago to relocate him (but not to make room for the new MP Starscream; to make room for a 3P Devastator).

(I mean, am getting the new MP Starscream. Don't know where I'll put him, but.)

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I've asked this before, but how do you all handle dusting your figures?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've been collecting the Siege and Earthrise figures. Some are definitely better than others but most are good. Also all the studio 86 figures are great.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Not well. :D

So I've got a couple very soft bristled brushes to knock off the tough stuff. If the dust is really settled, you have to use water, but I try to avoid doing this so I don't damage the figures.

There's also a lot to be said about placement. If it's near your highly trafficked areas, it's gonna get dustier. If you don't vacuum your carpets or run an air purifier, it's gonna get dustier.
    I've been collecting the Siege and Earthrise figures. Some are definitely better than others but most are good. Also all the studio 86 figures are great.

No lie: With the recently announced DNA Design upgrade kit for Grimlock, I was STRONGLY debating that figure. But again, I already have the Masterpiece. So I might just pick up Slag/Slug.

dna_dk-24_-_copy.jpg

... That's right. DNA Design decided to give you an entirely new Wheelie to "Fix" the issues with the SS86 one.

• Options
    For the most part, I use makeup brushes. The bristles are firm, springy, and dense enough to sweep dust away, but soft and gentle enough that they won't harm the figure. I have a larger one for most tasks, and a small one for like... getting into crevices (joints, in between panels, etc). I don't know enough about brushes to give you any meaningful direction like "buy a Type A size #3 brush", I just went to the makeup department at a pharmacy and went "this one looks about right".

Sometimes, usually in alt mode, you might have a relatively large and flat surface, and on those I use a Swiffer cloth; I find it exceptionally good at picking up light layers of dust.

I know folks use canned air as well, but I never feel satisfied after using it, I always feel like I need a pass with a brush anyway.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So many MP Starscreams... which one is that? A variant of MP-03, right?

I have MP-11 which I'm happy with. I personally prefer the more toy-style look compared to the upcoming MP-52 that is more cartoon-style.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Canned air is horrible outside of the top layers. It loosens, but it doesn't get the sticky stuff. Also, environmental concerns.

Now, I recently picked up an airbrush compressor/tank.. I'm wondering if that would work better...

• Options
    That transforming Ark is looking pretty dang cool:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cz3xC0v06o

• Options
    I'm curious to see what 3P stuff will come out for it. There's gotta at least be something to cover those big empty spaces on the sides of the ship mode

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see what 3P stuff will come out for it. There's gotta at least be something to cover those big empty spaces on the sides of the ship mode

I'd love replacements for the little turrets that turned and pivoted.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I'd love replacements for the little turrets that turned and pivoted.

Yeah. Hearing the review say they were all fixed in place really sucked, and made me hope they can be popped out easily enough and aren't molded as part of the body.

I do like the gap filler panels attached to the hands and legs for the robot mode, though. I assume they couldn't engineer that for both sides.

• Options
    If you - like me - have been hitting "Refresh" on forum threads about MP-52 Starscream in the hopes that somebody, anybody, would upload a video of the transformation, I am here with good news: Takara did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9OsEZehGMw

Approximately a billion in-hand photos out there as well, of course. Looks like a really good figure! I'm finding out that I am really partial to a nice matte grey paint.

@SatanIsMyMotor, I'm curious: does this make you want it more, or less?

• Options
    Also I've got some real mixed feelings on those organic, smooth, curvy hands on a more-or-less angular robot.

• Options
    Super cool looking. Unfortunately, after doing some research, it's like $450 in Canada...

• Options
    Youch. @SatanIsMyMotor Did you check Ages Three and Up? They're a Canadian store, so maybe their price is more reasonable? It only shows me the price in USD when I go there, and I don't see an obvious way to flip it to Canadian currency; the USD price it shows is the standard retail price ($275), which - according to Google - is $340 Canadian. So, not like... cheap, but at least less than $450 Canadian.

• Options
    Yeah I was eyeballing it there this morning. It's about $360 plus tax so it'd still be about $420 when all is said and done. That's a bit steep for my first foray into the world of Transformers imo.

I did pick up the War for Cybertron Voyager class Starscream though for a more reasonable $40.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Super cool looking. Unfortunately, after doing some research, it's like $450 in Canada...

You can buy it using my address

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Haha if only Canadian funny-bucks converted favourably to American freedom-dollars.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Haha if only Canadian funny-bucks converted favourably to American freedom-dollars.

No see I waa gonna not ask for your address and it would have been hilarious

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Welcome to Jurassic Park!
    Tyrannocon Rex is on the loose! It’s up to Autobot JP93 to track her down and stop her from wreaking havoc on Jurassic Park

*bad harmonica music plays*

$105 on Amazon right now. Kind of steep for a Leader and a Deluxe, even with the licensing cost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096GC12QX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_190C9TP26V0XQMT79QMR

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Very grimlock-esque head on the T-rex.

the Explorer looks like it has a hat of some kind on, but not a proper cowboy hat. Which would've been perfect. Also give us the jeep damnit! :D

Also why name him JP93 when he has a giant tampo'ed 04 on the back?!

Athenor on
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

the Explorer looks like it has a hat of some kind on, but not a proper cowboy hat. Which would've been perfect. Also give us the jeep damnit! :D

I believe they were going for the look of Muldoon’s hat when it was folded up on one side, but they folded both sides, probably because the head needs to fit somewhere. Would’ve been cool if the hat was a separate piece you could attach so it could be bigger and more accurate.

And JP93 is the worst “name”
    At least go with something cheesy like Exploribot.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options

Jurassic Park came out in 1993.

• Options

Jurassic Park came out in 1993.

I get that. I'm just... bllaaaaaah! :D

• Options
    His gun looks like Muldoon's Spas-12,

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So the Rex is BW Megatron with a quasi-Grimlock color scheme in bot mode.

Who’s the Explorer a recolor of?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Does the new Transformers get unboring at any point?

I got to the part where we find out
    Ultra Magnus is a turncoat
    and it's just slow and dull looking.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

JP93 is an original figure. (Though I've seen speculation he uses some design from the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold).

• Options

JP93 is an original figure. (Though I've seen speculation he uses some design from the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen mold).

Damnit that might be what gets me to pull the trigger.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Does the new Transformers get unboring at any point?

I got to the part where we find out
    Ultra Magnus is a turncoat
    and it's just slow and dull looking.

There s a couple of episodes in Season 2 I didn't hate, but no, it's mostly that quality all the way through.

• Options
    So the T-Rex is officially a female bot and also the largest official female bot they've ever sold.