As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYOA] A Peaceful Time

1111213141517»

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    What did the time vote do?

Which one was this?

Time is a circle/time is a line/time is a helix calendar from Dinotopia

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    What did the time vote do?

Which one was this?

Time is a circle/time is a line/time is a helix calendar from Dinotopia

Oh right! It didn’t have any tangle effect but I guess it’s just what would effect the Farmer’s world view going forward.

The linear view of time is a kind of frontier cowboy view. If you’re always heading away from the past you can kill a billion buffalo and then just hope things work out for them later.

Circles and cycles would be somewhat more Native American (though owing to the many cultures of pre-colonial America I won’t say everyone thought that).

Every other choice was just letting you all chat about time.

Overall we got a tempered view of time that’ll serve the Farmer well. He was a soldier, but he is a farmer and he will be a good father. He’s informed by his past but not stuck in it, he’ll work with the land to make it better for now and for when he’s gone.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Stuff

There’s not much more to River than there was Chance. She was just a steady hand for the posse. Had she lived she would have had decent stats for the dodgeball match.

If you’d gone to kill the mayor it would have been an automatic success, but his daughter Perfidia, Lucky, Ralph and Scarlet would have had to die too. Scarlet had an unrequited love for him, you see. Alf, who we never met, would leave and vow vengeance on the Farmer. The game would have ended there, with only the vague knowledge that the town would live on with shaky terms with the Farmer.

If you’d let the dice decide I’d have numbered the townsfolk and rolled. No tricks. After that would have been the same ending.

Oh! Also the drunks were never found after drinking the contents of that bottle. So my official stance is they only might be dead.

What else? House the priest who’s church doubles as the bank was a crook. A minor villain who was more or less cut from the story because we had no cause to look into it.

Kilpatrick is an alcoholic because his wife and kid died of the things you die of in a poverty stricken wasteland. I imagine the seven kids help him out just by being around, giving off good brain vibes.

Sam was meant to be a random combat encounter, as he should have been the new farmer our hero had been masquerading as this whole time. He travelled far from a decimated place to do it, and would have killed for it—but that Sam doesn’t exist, never did. Instead Sam is a swell guy and fell in love with the Farmer. It’s significantly better this way. I’d had the encounter with the real replacement in mind since day one.

The coin was like a medal or prize from the war. Nothing magical or tech about it really, I don’t think.

Mayor Truly was intentionally vague to start with, and as we never pursued interaction with him I can say no more about him. Not a buffoon though, or weak combat wise. Remember he saw and met the Farmer alone, which in this neighbourhood is not wise for most.

I did want to go on to finding materials and such to link up the railroad to wherever that went, but by the end I knew I’d outstay my welcome if we carried on just for that. With the town increasingly on the Farmer’s side and seven super smart kids (plus a mountain sized mech on the map) it’ll happen eventually.

Speaking of the kids, they were always out there too, as an encounter if you didn’t look into the whereabouts of those to be hunted. I would have asked you if you wake them up and take them home, or leave them sleeping in their pods. They could have been found before River died, for reference. I threw them into the last encounter as the outlaws could have feasibly been moving through the wastes as you were going for the rustlers. Plus Nixon was always going to double cross the others, no matter when you got to them. Nanny Creek had never met a good man, as she warned the Farmer, even though two were with her.

I wish I’d put more genuine farming in this story, but the structure of votes and narration meant it could have gotten quite stale, and slowed the pace too much. I’d considered stuff like floods, disease and locusts too, but it might have been frustrating to see the farm on the backpedal.

Overall I think it was a success! Couldn’t have done it without your input. I’m glad I put X options in there.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Anyways, last proper post from me pretty much. Need this to fall off the page so new threads can take the stage.

At one point this was stated:
    Nanny Creek: I have seen the black void that lulls back into the core, and I have seen the vast tracks of fibrous, slick, membrane beyond this land. I have not, in my time, seen a good man.

The shape of this world is a human eye. Maybe that’s just what these guys have in place of planets. Don’t ask me, I just work here.

7p1y3irngqxy.jpeg

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What was our farm's final score?
    I believe farms are usually rated by points in these sort of games.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    eqkp2c26c3sp.jpeg

The farm is functional, and will go on to feed the town with surplus in a couple years. I suppose it could have had more crops, but you made a valiant effort between the other things that needed to be dealt with.

Barely anyone died, all things considered. I pulled no punches. So top marks for that side of things.

You did drugs! That was a thing.

You won at dodgeball!

I think ending the story with a best friend in Chance, a loyal ally in Doubleday, husband and seven kids was about as good as you could go.

• Options
    dig7nkzqait9.jpeg

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    That was great, thanks

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey thanks @Endless_Serpents this waa a really awesome tale