As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] A Very Aeldari Christmas

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The stat sheets today at least show what the general range of stats is.

Pretty much everyone will have 3 circle movement and 3 defense. Low powered weapons roll 3 dice, medium weapons 4, high end 5. (Sidenote: an avenger being more deadly with his bare hands as a guard veteran with a bayonet is fun, some serious martial arts skills)

I guess Marines will be around 12 wounds maybe?

Regarding unit composition, I wonder if you can at least run pure Avenger Killteams if scorpions and banshees are out again. It's max 4 per Fireteam, so maybe two Fireteam of four plus 1 exarch? I don't like guardians as the base troop for eldar

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im going to be putting a lot of time into new custodes

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Also, still deciding on Goffs vs deathskulls, but it'll probably be goffs

Goffs are probably just flat out the best option for any kind of melee unit honestly

As for the nobz if points didn’t matter I would probably do kombi-burnaza and claws to maximise the output. Realistically nobz are still expensive (even if they did get cheaper) and I think you either go double choppa to clear infantry or big choppa for more generalist squads.

But can you do a kombi-burna AND klaw? With the new datasheet it looks like you have to swap your shoota/choppa for either two melee weapons or a single kombi weapon? Or do you mean a mixed squad of shooty nobz and klaw nobz?

5sjagrysj5u8.png

Oh right, I read that as you can't take kombis and melee weapons anymore either.

It does read that you can take a big choppa and a choppa now, which is nice for melee squads.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

Goffs are probably just flat out the best option for any kind of melee unit honestly

As for the nobz if points didn’t matter I would probably do kombi-burnaza and claws to maximise the output. Realistically nobz are still expensive (even if they did get cheaper) and I think you either go double choppa to clear infantry or big choppa for more generalist squads.

But can you do a kombi-burna AND klaw? With the new datasheet it looks like you have to swap your shoota/choppa for either two melee weapons or a single kombi weapon? Or do you mean a mixed squad of shooty nobz and klaw nobz?

5sjagrysj5u8.png

Oh right, I read that as you can't take kombis and melee weapons anymore either.

It does read that you can take a big choppa and a choppa now, which is nice for melee squads.

Given how bad ork shooting is, I think stabby Goff nobs in a trukk is going to be the build I go with. It sucks not having a ranged weapon but at least they will smash what you point them at.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

5sjagrysj5u8.png

Given how bad ork shooting is, I think stabby Goff nobs in a trukk is going to be the build I go with. It sucks not having a ranged weapon but at least they will smash what you point them at.

Ork shooting being bad is kind of a myth. They have bad ballistic skills, sure, but they also have the volume of fire to compensate for that as well as numerous other tricks and in practice it actually tends to make their shooting more reliable than most other factions'.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

5sjagrysj5u8.png

Ork shooting being bad is kind of a myth. They have bad ballistic skills, sure, but they also have the volume of fire to compensate for that as well as numerous other tricks and in practice it actually tends to make their shooting more reliable than most other factions'.

This is true. I should have clarified I guess, my buddies and I usually play on pretty dense boards and -1 to hit terrain is pretty common, pushing them up to hitting on 6's a lot of the time.

Given the boards we usually play it makes more sense to run melee.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am curious about tyranids in kill team specifically how they work with/out synaptic beasts as the only one shown is the warrior

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    2wavslzny356.jpg
    :P

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Lootas/Burnas being changed to now require one Spanna for every 4 models in the unit stinks. I get that they want to have the rules for the unit line up with what's in the actual box, but designing the box like that was dumb in the first place. Now if I want to throw 20 Burna Boyz in a Battlewagon and make a Drive By Barbeque Party Bus four of those models have to be dumb Spannas.

At least Spannas can take Big Shootas or Rokkits - the Loota/Burna box came with four deffguns, four burnas, and one kustom mageblasta, but only five bodies... so any time I bought one I'd also buy a box of Boyz so I could get 4 Lootas and 4 Burnas instead of having to choose one or the other. As a result, I don't actually have enough Spanna models to run all of the loota and burna squads that I have with the new rules. Luckily, I have an assload of old Big Shoota boyz so I can make due.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am curious about tyranids in kill team specifically how they work with/out synaptic beasts as the only one shown is the warrior

They’re going to release a bespoke Kill Team of all Hormagaunts, but one’s going to have a Mohawk, another a baseball cap, another will have a fine dinner jacket, and the last will be chewing on a cigar.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Lootas/Burnas being changed to now require one Spanna for every 4 models in the unit stinks. I get that they want to have the rules for the unit line up with what's in the actual box, but designing the box like that was dumb in the first place. Now if I want to throw 20 Burna Boyz in a Battlewagon and make a Drive By Barbeque Party Bus four of those models have to be dumb Spannas.

At least Spannas can take Big Shootas or Rokkits - the Loota/Burna box came with four deffguns, four burnas, and one kustom mageblasta, but only five bodies... so any time I bought one I'd also buy a box of Boyz so I could get 4 Lootas and 4 Burnas instead of having to choose one or the other. As a result, I don't actually have enough Spanna models to run all of the loota and burna squads that I have with the new rules. Luckily, I have an assload of old Big Shoota boyz so I can make due.

I think with lootas you just take the spanners with KMBS because you want them moving up to be in dakka range. Sure they might die, but its decent firepower in the meantime.

What is really stupid is that the lootas/burners box comes with a big shoota and rocket, but is just flat out missing the left arm to actually attach it!

• Options
    How easily do Boyz kits match up with the spare burna boy weapons?

I just built some lootas the other day and I've still got all the burnas weapons sitting on my desk

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    How easily do Boyz kits match up with the spare burna boy weapons?

I just built some lootas the other day and I've still got all the burnas weapons sitting on my desk

The bodies in the lootas/burners kit are exactly the same as the boyz kit. Like, identical parts. The bag of bullets is even the same bu with a gretchin modeled on top. It does mean you can buy 2x lootas box and one 1x boyz kit and save yourself having to buy another loota box on top if you want lootas and burners.

• Options
    Nice, time to go see if my lgs has a box in stock

Also, the pre-order next weekend is the castigator, a sister's patrol box, and a couple of their characters

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That orlock weapon kit seems like a great way to build some guard veterans. Or just some regular guard.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

They’re going to release a bespoke Kill Team of all Hormagaunts, but one’s going to have a Mohawk, another a baseball cap, another will have a fine dinner jacket, and the last will be chewing on a cigar.

We know there is a lictor kit coming...

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

We know there is a lictor kit coming...

I don’t know enough about Tyranids to work that into my A-Team joke.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The new combat patrol for the SoB is their hype box from before sans the codex and cards? I kind of want to get a SoB but build it around the smaller games but I also do want a Castigator as a predator with a battle cannon?
    Kind of sad three pieces of terrain are moving to be gw online store exclusives. I think the terrain data sheet cards are just random set up battlefield like kill team?
    I think that board was available before?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The SoB box is also up a rhino from the launch box

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    So having played them some, I have to change my mind about the model for Paragon Warsuits, they just look awkward. The whole Sisters line has these really dramatic and elegent poses and the warsuits are just standing there stiff limbed on skinny little legs.

That said theyre monsters on the table.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If GW keeps the current price point the Sisters of Battle Combat Patrol box will be a really killer deal.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I like the Orks book overall, but boy there are some glaring errors in here.

Obviously there's the trukk boyz can't ride trukks thing. But consider that if they could they give the trukk +1 to hit.

Now modifiers on a vehicle transfer over to the unit firing open topped inside, so trukk boyz in a trukk also get the +1. Ok fine. But it means that one trukk boy in a trukk (say a nob with banner) can then give any other unit you like (like say lootas or flash gitz) +1, which feels unintentional.

Oh, there's also the trick with makari and ghaz to make any infantry unit unkillable in shooting. Makari is a legal target for grot shields, and is a character, so can in turn be screened by ghaz, who of course can only take 4 wounds a phase. Definitely not the intention here.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    The GK/Tsons box previewed today...

Decent enough box set I suppose. Hard to tell if there's any duds without seeing the books ahead of time though.

23ajui2v55ge.png

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    My brother will be happy about the Gk part because he lacks the power armored ones and only has one dreadknight

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Considering Tzangors have the daemon keyword I figure they will be just instant smited off the board. But scarab occult termis and the new HQ are cool.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The GK troops don't look great standing next to Drago....A shame they've not been given a new kit.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Right? Reworking the GK line would require like three kits

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Right? Reworking the GK line would require like three kits

If that? I’m not a fan of the dread knight design anyway. Terminators still look fine so really it’s just the strike squad box that I think needs an update.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    The GK troops don't look great standing next to Drago....A shame they've not been given a new kit.

What, on the picture? That's not Drago, that's Crowe.

And yeah, I do wish they'd redo the Grey "practicing my pooping position" Knights line...

But after the Eldar. They need it more.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tzaangors lost the daemon keyword in AoS 2.0 so maybe they will here too. They're not really daemons, more like Tzeentch flavoured Beastie boys.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

And yeah, I do wish they'd redo the Grey "practicing my pooping position" Knights line...

Plastic Eldar Guardians were a new kit in an issue of White Dwarf I have from September of 1999 alongside the release of the 3rd edition Eldar codex.

They can legally buy alcohol in the US.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Plastic Eldar Guardians were a new kit in an issue of White Dwarf I have from September of 1999 alongside the release of the 3rd edition Eldar codex.

After Orks get such a massive release wave there's going to be no justice if Craftworlds don't get similar treatment in this edition. The Avatar of Khaine, what's meant to be the big centerpiece model of the faction, is the exact same sculpt from second edition.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Tzaangors lost the daemon keyword in AoS in AoS 2.0 so maybe they will here too. They're not really daemons, more like Tzeentch flavoured Beastie boys.

I'd be surprised

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Tzaangors lost the daemon keyword in AoS in AoS 2.0 so maybe they will here too. They're not really daemons, more like Tzeentch flavoured Beastie boys.

You gotta fight
    For your right
    To stuuuuuudy! (The ancient forbidden grimoires of Chaos)

• Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Another WIP for my crabby girls.
    zbi1ydsgydr9.jpg

And moar reinforcements (chaos beasts for furies, I'll see how they look with bald daenonette heads).
    kflcvic7ygh7.jpg

• Options
    So far, so good I think.
    i2f1y68e5izx.jpg

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

After Orks get such a massive release wave there's going to be no justice if Craftworlds don't get similar treatment in this edition. The Avatar of Khaine, what's meant to be the big centerpiece model of the faction, is the exact same sculpt from second edition.

I keep saying the craftworlders are a massive reboot at this point as most of the range is the same when I built my army. I am kind of curious since the special characters and the older cryptech are all the resin for Necrons and the court of the Archon, the beastmaster and his friends and the grotesque are for the Drukhari they have not replaced them as of yet
    I feel the rangers are first for the refresh because of the teaser image and I think it's part of the kill team reboot

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    novaspike wrote: »
    So far, so good I think.
    [SNIP]

Looks good, and a neat combination. Slaanesh Furies, I assume?

(I had been thinking that the Daughters of Khaine Khinerai would be interesting to mash together with Daemonettes for a similar effect.)

• Options

Looks good, and a neat combination. Slaanesh Furies, I assume?

(I had been thinking that the Daughters of Khaine Khinerai would be interesting to mash together with Daemonettes for a similar effect.)

Yep, Slaanesh furies. Man, I wish I'd thought of the Khinerai; I had some from the Shadow and Pain box but traded them in a split.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Khinerai models are awesome, if fiddly and fragile, though they might be a little big for furies, I'd be concerned about balance on the smaller base.