As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh no I've got stuck in the weirdly specific YouTube hole of watching Vulcan bomber flybys.

I don't even care about planes or vehicles or machines or whatever but every few month YouTube recommends me a video of the Vulcan and then I get stuck watching them for like twenty minutes.

I think this is my favourite one so far because it actually makes a child cry, lol

https://youtu.be/gZeI7Kjj-jE

I got to see this plane at an airshow right before she was grounded forever. It was very cool.

Because of the way the waterfront makes a big bowl down at Plymouth, all the air show stuff there used to be able to go very low and very fast, which was always fun, but one year when there was a Vulcan in the display, it came in fairly low and slow, turned round the island in the bay and then punched into the SCRAMBLE launch climb at about 70-80 degrees, full afterburners. It was incredibly loud and the best thing was you could see this massive dent pushed into the sea from all the thrust.

Yeah the show I saw it at was Bournemouth which was lucky because I think by that point it wasn't able to do certain manoeuvres over land any more (?) but could over the water.

We also saw the Eurofighter there which was also very loud but it didn't sound like a goddamn kaiju the way the Vulcan did.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    JATO is an absurd technology.

[edit] Actually this is probably RATO right? Still, an absurd solution to a largely non-existent problem.

It's so they can do rapid vertical climbs out of combat zones, which are hard for a baseline C130. They do an insane nearly vertical descent into combat zones for the same reason, you don't want to spend time hanging around at mid altitudes.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Giant planes/fighter planes are just the absolute coolest shit.

The B-52 still trips me out. Things that big should not be able to be in the sky.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    JATO is an absurd technology.

[edit] Actually this is probably RATO right? Still, an absurd solution to a largely non-existent problem.

It's so they can do rapid vertical climbs out of combat zones, which are hard for a baseline C130. They do an insane nearly vertical descent into combat zones for the same reason, you don't want to spend time hanging around at mid altitudes.

Oh, that makes much more sense.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I do feel kind of icky acting like a fanboy over something designed to kill and destroy. But there's a very primitive part of my brain that just goes "Ooh big thing in sky go fast make loud!"

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Juggernut wrote: »

The B-52 still trips me out. Things that big should not be able to be in the sky.

At the SAC museum I absolutely can not walk underneath the wings of the giant bombers they have like the B-52. It is an irrational fear I have.

My favorite aircraft there is the XF-85 Goblin which was designed to be carried inside a strategic bomber and launch out for fighter support.

Look at this dumb tiny thing.

goblin.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I was a big fan of P-61 Black Widow night fighter for some reason

• Options
    It looks like the plane equivalent of that tiny car Jeremy Clarkson drove into the BBC offices

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    The SAC museum is so cool. I like their rocket garden out front. It’s got one of only… six(?) Snark missiles remaining in existence. Notably absent is any mention of how absolutely useless the Snark was at its job of intercepting aerial threats.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    As a child of the 90s no aircraft will ever be cooler than an A-10 Warthog, sorry everything else in the sky but you're competing for second.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    In Lancaster they've got a sort of mixed outdoor museum and plane graveyard where you can check out some of the more intact exhibits while dozens of others fall apart under the desert sun beyond the public fenced area

https://www.aviationmuseum.eu/Blogvorm/milestones-flight-air-museum/

Looks like it was closed in 2015 though.

Madican on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    As a child of the 90s no aircraft will ever be cooler than an A-10 Warthog, sorry everything else in the sky but you're competing for second.

Im an SR71 fanboy, but the Warthog, Tomcat and F15 Eagle all get honorable mention.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    my father was an a-10 pilot, so for a long time I didn't realize just how much people love 1) fighter jets 2) the idea of being a fighter jet pilot, and how special his position was

Jars on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like the SR71 because it up high and also it go very fast

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I like the SR71 because it up high and also it go very fast

Also that story of the SR-71 pilot taking the piss out of some other cocky pilots is funny as af.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    The a10 could fly without wings and engines. Just a fuselage making a horrifying buzzing noise and landing totally fine

• Options
    I was less enamored with fighter jets when growing up because while the town was heavily focused on aviation, and still is, that also includes the darker part of it. Things like how a bunch of pilots trying to break the sound barrier all died from cratering their jets into the ground until finally one of them didn't or how an adjacent town was heavily damaged when the Air Force was trying to shoot down an errant drone over populated areas using rockets (and failing).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Palmdale

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I was less enamored with fighter jets when growing up because while the town was heavily focused on aviation, and still is, that also includes the darker part of it. Things like how a bunch of pilots trying to break the sound barrier all died from cratering their jets into the ground until finally one of them didn't or how an adjacent town was heavily damaged when the Air Force was trying to shoot down an errant drone over populated areas using rockets (and failing).

jeeeeeeeeeesus
    the article doesn't mention any deaths but I wonder if that is just secret

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

jeeeeeeeeeesus
    the article doesn't mention any deaths but I wonder if that is just secret

Supposedly there were no fatalities. But those two utility guys sure picked a great time to have a picnic.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    My favorite plane is the Bell Airracuda because it has easily the greatest name ever.

shame the actual plane was a piece of hot garbage

• Options
    In non-military Certified Good Aircraft, the Lockheed Constellation.

The Connie (1943 to 1958) was the first passenger airline with a pressurized cabin in general use, which allowed it to fly above most bad weather and greatly improved its safety and comfort. With four supercharged radial piston engines and fully feathered props each outputting 3,250 horsepower, the Connie was also able to carry plenty of weight and take it to its destination quickly. The Constellation was initially designed as a military cargo plane, but WWII ended before the plane entered full production. The civilian model, the L-749 Constellation (and my favorite of the several Connies) was the very first passenger plane to offer nonstop service across the Atlantic Ocean.

And it was a real looker, check this thing out.
    Lockheed_Constellation_N749NL_Aviodrome.JPG

They also had an optional freight container that could be mounted under the fuselage for additional carrying capacity, the so-called "Speedpack" container. This was something of an early ancestor to roll-on/roll-off (RORO) freight shipping. Seen here on N6022C.
    Lockheed_L749A_N6022C_TWA_Connie_final.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The constellation is SO good looking. Just like damn.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    airships are cooler than planes

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The constellation is SO good looking. Just like damn.

It really is. If any of the mod teams ever adds it to MSFS I don't think I'd fly anything else.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular

At the SAC museum I absolutely can not walk underneath the wings of the giant bombers they have like the B-52. It is an irrational fear I have.

My favorite aircraft there is the XF-85 Goblin which was designed to be carried inside a strategic bomber and launch out for fighter support.

Look at this dumb tiny thing.

goblin.jpg

Pretty neat that they let Akira Toriyama design a plane.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

It's as big as a whale

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    and it's about
    to
    set
    saaaaail

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Rock lobster!

Wait.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i may still have this somewhere...
    80s-SR-71-Black-bird-t-shirt-H87F-1-700x700.jpg
    SR-71 Blackbird

i def still have this one:
    s-l1600.jpg
    AH-64 Apache

there may have been others we had, but they exist regardless:
    ijxsxnfke1vw.jpeg
    C-5 Galaxy?
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    C-5B Galaxy

i always loved the name:
    ufgvsld1sk4d.jpeg
    C-141B Starlifter

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Fuck that SR71 shirt is cool.

I got to see the MD-21 many years ago, when visiting the Seattle air museum. (https://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/lockheed-m-21-blackbird)

Label on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Because I am a Dad apparently my favorite plane is the Supermarine Spitfire. Lemme look at that Supermarine Spitfire. Lemme just... lemme just touch it a lil bit.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My favorite plane is the astral plane

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The X-Men fly in a Blackbird, it's de facto the coolest plane

• Options
    edited July 2021
    An SR-71 blew the fuck up over where I was raised. I routinely delivered hay to the ranch where the pilot parachuted down after his plane disintegrated around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnEgS3buPb8&t=31s

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The X-Men fly in a Blackbird, it's de facto the coolest plane

So did Alucard.

Straight into an aircraft carrier from above

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hurricane for best antifa war plane

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

FOR FUCK'S SAKE JUST REINSTATE A NATIONWIDE MASK RECOMMENDATION

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tokyo is gearing up to pass 3,000 concurrent cases for the first time since the pandemic began (it's not too close yet but it's getting there and not slowing down)

The Olympics: Just as shitty for the host country as it's ever been

(it's not just the Olympics, but that's a huge contributing factor)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    If there is no national mask mandate, most states won't do shit.

If there's no state mask mandate, each city is free to do what it will, unless the governor actively passes laws against mandating masks. Which he absolutely has, and probably will do again.

Oklahoma City is riddled with small-town carcinomas with their own mayors, and mostly people move there so they don't have to pay big-city taxes or follow big-city laws. So even if our mayor wanted to pass a mask mandate, he would be undercut on all sides.

The library system is doomed to be radically open. If nobody is forcing us to mandate masks, we're open to lawsuits we can't afford if we try to enforce a mask mandate as a condition of accessing a public resource.

We're wide fucking open, and I can't imagine how bad things would have to get before we had the power to protect ourselves again. Nothing is fine, and it won't get better any time soon.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    two literal americas post covid

my county is still blue, at least

This discussion has been closed.