As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That Thing You [Coup]

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So… This would seem to be pretty ironclad evidence of a conspiracy led and directed by the President to nullify the results of an election and overthrow the constitutional United States government, would it not?

And had a couple of AGs and some Pentagon officials been more amenable... it would have worked.

Frankly this is showing how much closer to a success this attempt at tossing the election was then we thought.

Yeah, scary stuff. It was a top down effort to flood multiple states with phony lawsuits that could then be cited by others to justify fascist intervention because "look at all these lawsuits saying election fraud happened!"

Eh...that makes it sound organized which it most certainly wasn't. The prospect of such a top down effort is scary but we ended up with lazy GOP congressmen plagiarizing subreddits and Giuliani literally shitting his pants in courtrooms across the country.

I'm not so sure anymore. He's already quoted saying he had GOP members in congress ready to go, he just needed the DoJ to launder the "stolen election" claims. This is starting to look like a full on conspiracy.

The intent to have the conspiracy to steal the election is certainly real but they didn't do any of the groundwork to pull the damn thing off. If they did, we would have gotten the nasty 2000-esque fight lawyers Democrats had on retainer were preparing for rather than visibly intoxicated people throwing spaghetti at the wall.

The lesson the GOP learned from 2020 is that rigging an election beforehand is way easier than trying to steal it after the fact. I have a suspicion most Republicans know Trump lost the election and what their voters really want going forward is for them the cheat harder so a coup isn't necessary.

I think what they also learned is that it's a lot easier to steal an election after the fact they anyone thought and the whole problem was too many people who weren't loyalists. So they are gonna purge them motherfuckers.

And also the obvious lack of any electoral consequences for their behaviour means more people will be willing to go along.

I disagree. 2000 worked because they had the right people in the right positions to halt the counting process. Stealing after the fact means singling out ballots to throw out after they have been counted which is dangerous as hell and would definitely cause riots. When you deduct points awarded from the scoreboard that's how bottles get thrown on the field.

Which is why Republicans are so interested in passing laws that can be used to violently crush left-wing protests. Because they want to do things that they know will cause riots.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    The writing is really on the wall that Republicans are not going to give up power any more. And if they can't rules lawyer their way into permanent control, they're simply going to lock down their state legislatures, refuse to leave, and say what are you going to do about it?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So this was fun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6jL3Z3QJrg&ab_channel=CNN

I for one am Eager to see the man release his new suite of evidence that will re-instate trump as god emperor of america president in... 7 days :)

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So this was fun:

I for one am Eager to see the man release his new suite of evidence that will re-instate trump as god emperor of america president in... 7 days :)

I know it's a rebuttal, but why are mainstream media still giving this asshole airtime?

Unless he says or does something actually newsworthy (as in provides the proof he has promised and it's credible), he should be ignored.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I think it’s newsworthy. A CNN interview is a lagging indicator of what’s happening out there.

Just learned that the regionally famous Pearl bluegrass Beni is being ruined by an organizer buying the Big Lie and going to Q town. Split the community and a good thing will likely be lost.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think the peril of the ‘ignore the wackos’ approach should be rather clear, by now

You can have the man on the air and make him look like the fool he is

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    So this was fun:

I know it's a rebuttal, but why are mainstream media still giving this asshole airtime?

Unless he says or does something actually newsworthy (as in provides the proof he has promised and it's credible), he should be ignored.

Because the third of America that exclusively watches mainstream media should know what the third of America that exclusively watches radical right media are being fed?

Just because the media you watch stops talking about him doesn't mean he goes away in any way.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I think it’s possible to rebut insane lies without interviewing insane people that are spreading and giving more oxygen to said lies.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Also fun fact: It seems I was wrong on he date when he was going to reveal his evidence; it's apparently happening over the course of a 3 day event starting on the 10th in Sioux Falls South Dakota.

So in 4 days we get to watch this insane circus unfold :)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I think the peril of the ‘ignore the wackos’ approach should be rather clear, by now

Deplatforming works. We know this.

Problem is Fox is there and will give him a platform anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

The solution, ultimately, should be to deplatform the platforms

Fox and Facebook and The entire Murdoch empire

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

Pod Save America has been talking about how much money Fox News makes as being part of cable packages. Which I'm like... WTF? Why are the cable providers paying Fox, shouldn't it be the other way around, where Fox has to pay to be on the cable packages and they counter that with ads?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Pod Save America has been talking about how much money Fox News makes as being part of cable packages. Which I'm like... WTF? Why are the cable providers paying Fox, shouldn't it be the other way around, where Fox has to pay to be on the cable packages and they counter that with ads?

Because people will shriek bloody murder if Fox goes down for ANY REASON.

I work for a telecom that provides cable.

It is that bad.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Nope. Cable companies pay channels to be in packages. Not the other way around. Because they know if they don't have certain things they lose customers to those who do.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

That's not the way cable works. The business model of cable is: Consumers give money to Cable TV providers to get access to the channels that are on Cable and Cable providers pays money to channels to get them on their package so that people want to buy cable.

As you might imagine, sports channels command a staggeringly higher affiliate fee then other networks.

This is also why cable networks tend to eventually fill with mostly rerun crap. The goal is to maintain just enough probably-original programming on your network to get paid to be on cable and fill the rest of your airtime with the cheapest programming you can find.

shryke on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    For a little perspective, if I remember right from my cable company days, Fox News cost the cable company around $1/subscriber, and was one of the costliest channels.

ESPN was $3.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    But, again, Cable is dying a slow death from cord cutting. It's back down to the penetration levels of the ~90's. This isn't sustainable, and the thing about unsustainable approaches is that eventually they stop.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

The problem is the people who need to recognize him as a fool are not going to see him as a fool, they'll just see "liberal media being mean."

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    But, again, Cable is dying a slow death from cord cutting. It's back down to the penetration levels of the ~90's. This isn't sustainable, and the thing about unsustainable approaches is that eventually they stop.

I have no idea if it's the case but I'd guess the business model for "live TV" streaming services like Hulu Live, Fubo TV, YouTube TV, etc. are probably similar. I'd bet they're paying Fox to have Fox on their service rather than the other way around. And the death of cable TV is almost certainly not going to be the death of existing TV networks.

I'm also really curious what percentage of Fox "viewership" are TVs in waiting rooms and lobbies. I know a depressing number of people do actually turn their TVs to Fox News on the regular, but I feel like the number of businesses showing it have got to account for a not-insignificant fraction. Those TVs are unlikely to be all replaced by smart TVs with someone manning a remote to switch Netflix shows or something anytime soon.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I think it’s possible to rebut insane lies without interviewing insane people that are spreading and giving more oxygen to said lies.

This is honestly the most frustrating thing for me that the news and late night shows haven't learned since Reagan. Rebut things without treating the obvious lie as though it merits equal airing. Hell, it feels like most late night shows mocking things don't even attempt to dismiss it with whatever joke they go with. So the bullshit point is the only one actually being aired and isn't confronted in any meaningful way. People shot up a pizzeria because of it's non-existent basement pedophile ring. Nothing is self evident, you have to actually confront the insanity instead of just play it and then laugh and move on.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I have no idea if it's the case but I'd guess the business model for "live TV" streaming services like Hulu Live, Fubo TV, YouTube TV, etc. are probably similar. I'd bet they're paying Fox to have Fox on their service rather than the other way around. And the death of cable TV is almost certainly not going to be the death of existing TV networks.

I'm also really curious what percentage of Fox "viewership" are TVs in waiting rooms and lobbies. I know a depressing number of people do actually turn their TVs to Fox News on the regular, but I feel like the number of businesses showing it have got to account for a not-insignificant fraction. Those TVs are unlikely to be all replaced by smart TVs with someone manning a remote to switch Netflix shows or something anytime soon.

I worked as a night auditor at a hotel in my 20s, and I would put the TV on CNN (as we were required to have a news channel on during the breakfast rush.)

More often than not, someone would ask me to change it to Fox News.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

That's the funniest part about this interview. Fox has deplatformed him. It's probably why he's slumming on CNN and getting dunked on.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

That's the funniest part about this interview. Fox has deplatformed him. It's probably why he's slumming on CNN and getting dunked on.

Remember when CNN gave airtime to Richard Spencer? Because I do.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Remember when CNN gave airtime to Richard Spencer? Because I do.

CNN is notorious for giving prominent right wing blowhards and apparatchiks prime space to push their bullshit. They say it's in the interest of unbiased coverage, but it's purely about ratings and views. NY Times does the same shit with their opinion pages. USA Today put Jonah Goldberg on their board of contributors. Facebook has hired multiple prominent right wing operators that have been instrumental in destroying the social media news ecosystem. Hatred and ignorance are easy sells, and big corporate outfits are buying.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

America's shitty internet is keeping that death real slow. Fox will eventually have to adjust but in the meantime there is money to be made on boomer cable subscribers and profits to squeeze from cheaper production.

It's almost funny how low rent they've gotten in the Trump era.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Yet somehow they financed Tucker doing a week's worth of shows in Hungary while he openly rubs shoulders with a fascist and plays at stoking white nationalist outrage in Europe.

(Slightly off topic, but I seriously don't think Tucker realizes the dangerous game he's playing with these people.)

• Options
    Yet somehow they financed Tucker doing a week's worth of shows in Hungary while he openly rubs shoulders with a fascist and plays at stoking white nationalist outrage in Europe.

(Slightly off topic, but I seriously don't think Tucker realizes the dangerous game he's playing with these people.)

He grew up in the whitest township imaginable as the heir to a company that sold the whitest condiment possible. Of course he doesn't realize what he's doing.

• Options
    Here's some fun friday news. One of Trump's flunkies is planning another protest at the Capitol. On behalf of the "political prisoners" charged for taking part in the insurrection.

• Options
    Here's some fun friday news. One of Trump's flunkies is planning another protest at the Capitol. On behalf of the "political prisoners" charged for taking part in the insurrection.

Some part of me is honestly curious if some of the people that show up for this will think it's an opportunity to have a second go at storming the capital building.

• Options

Some part of me is honestly curious if some of the people that show up for this will think it's an opportunity to have a second go at storming the capital building.

If they do they'll be treated like BLM protesters this time.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

I have a feeling if they try for a second time they are firmly into 'find out' / 'stupid prizes' territory.

Cause I'm pretty sure nobody is fucking around on a second riot / insurrection.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They're not going to riot. The only reason they did it last time is that they thought they could stop the election certification if they did so, coupled with the ridiculously lax security at the capitol at the time. Neither are going to be factors this time.

• Options
    chosenofsotekchosenofsotek Registered User regular

If they do they'll be treated like BLM protesters this time.

Even after everything that happened and has happened since Jan 6th, I'm still not sure I would bet on that.

• Options
    They're not going to riot. The only reason they did it last time is that they thought they could stop the election certification if they did so, coupled with the ridiculously lax security at the capitol at the time. Neither are going to be factors this time.

I'm pretty sure that they're going to show up and see a plethora of cops waiting for them, But I'd kind of want the cops to have all the anti-riot gear prepped and ready so that they can get an idea of what BLM has had to deal with: tear gas, sound canons, Water trucks, row's of cops in full gear....

Oh and these things!
    b6esrhc95od8.png
    It's basically what happens when you combine a buttload of tasers and a sawhorse.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

I think it depends who shows up. If it's true believers who have spent the last 10 months steeped in bizarro-world propaganda about how Democrats are destroying the country to ensure there's never another free election I believe they might try. Security will be tighter so I don't foresee them rioting their way into the capitol building again but if enough radicalized Q-believers show up I think they'd give it a go.

If it's people who keep track of the real world enough to know that this is all theater to position the GOP to put an end to free elections then nah, they won't riot. I'm just not sure how many people fitting that description actually exist in the constituency. I'm not entirely convinced all the elected GOP politicians in Congress are actually aware that the Big Lie is a lie.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

America's shitty internet is keeping that death real slow. Fox will eventually have to adjust but in the meantime there is money to be made on boomer cable subscribers and profits to squeeze from cheaper production.

It's almost funny how low rent they've gotten in the Trump era.

for some reason

isn't it funny how a plurality of US ISPs also offer television services? Weird huh.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Or he's a fascist.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Or he's a fascist.

Tucker's at best a dilettante. He loves the attention and grift, and thinks this is all just a day job. At the end of the day he can put it all away, go home, and enjoy his riches. I guarantee he has no fucking clue the kind dark circles he's running in playing his little "savior of western civilization" game over there. At a minimum he's going to be leaving Hungary this week with Pegasus spyware on his phone.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ashley Babbits family is valiantly using her death to sue the Capitol Police Dept for 10 mil. For wrongful death, claiming she was "ambushed".

Honestly, not to be too internet here but... lol

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ashley Babbits family is valiantly using her death to sue the Capitol Police Dept for 10 mil. For wrongful death, claiming she was "ambushed".

Honestly, not to be too internet here but... lol

Ah yes. She was ambushed by a police ninja officer with a gun while peacefully protesting as part of a very large peaceful tour group that was infiltrated by Antifa members who went out of their way to make the rest of them look bad.

It's textbook really.

Edit, Also we have an artists rendition of the suspect and his confession while he was in the act:
    55202270.jpg

Gaddez on
This discussion has been closed.