As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

As lim (pg. -> 100) 1/(100 - pg.) we are compelled to make a new [Science] thread.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Ice worms. Glaciers covered with worms. There's a picture under the spoiler.
    ?url=https:%2F%2Fmedia.npr.org%2Fassets%2Fimg%2F2021%2F06%2F30%2Fimg_0146_custom-de0e2d0bc966721e348bb0326ce2910177379568.jpg

They live in glaciers but die if they freeze. There's lots of them. Birds eat them. And aside from that we know just about nothing in regards to them because only about a half dozen researchers had studied them before.

Ice worms.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Ice worms. Glaciers covered with worms. There's a picture under the spoiler.
    ?url=https:%2F%2Fmedia.npr.org%2Fassets%2Fimg%2F2021%2F06%2F30%2Fimg_0146_custom-de0e2d0bc966721e348bb0326ce2910177379568.jpg

They live in glaciers but die if they freeze. There's lots of them. Birds eat them. And aside from that we know just about nothing in regards to them because only about a half dozen researchers had studied them before.

Ice worms.

So so much of biology is just lost. Tears in the rain.

Imagine going back before whaling and studying whales before 95% of them were killed. Who knows what we could learn about them.

How many lynchpin species have gone extinct without us realizing it? There is so much out there we don't know and honestly will destroy before we ever do.

Its sad.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, it turns out that humanity fucked the Neanderthals to extinction:
    A rare blood disorder discovered in Neanderthal babies was likely the result of breeding with humans, according to a new study.
    This condition would have made it difficult for the Neanderthal newborns to reproduce.
    The extinction of Neanderthals and survival of humanity is generally written as a violent history of conflict between the two species. But recent archeological findings suggest it may not have been war, but love — or at least sex — that sealed our fates.

In a new study analyzing Neanderthal and Denisovan blood groups, scientists found a set of genetic variants that would have made Neanderthal children susceptible to a now-rare blood disorder, or "haemolytic disease of the foetus and new-born," or HDFN. This disorder would have made it difficult for the affected generations to reproduce — cutting their bloodline short.

"The fact that these forms of genes were detected in individuals separated by 4,000km and 50,000 years suggest that this genetic peculiarity — and the risk of [an] anaemic foetus — would have been quite common amongst Neanderthals," Stephane Mazieres, a lead author on the paper from Aix-Marseille University, told The Daily Mail.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So, it turns out that humanity fucked the Neanderthals to extinction:
    A rare blood disorder discovered in Neanderthal babies was likely the result of breeding with humans, according to a new study.
    This condition would have made it difficult for the Neanderthal newborns to reproduce.
    The extinction of Neanderthals and survival of humanity is generally written as a violent history of conflict between the two species. But recent archeological findings suggest it may not have been war, but love — or at least sex — that sealed our fates.

In a new study analyzing Neanderthal and Denisovan blood groups, scientists found a set of genetic variants that would have made Neanderthal children susceptible to a now-rare blood disorder, or "haemolytic disease of the foetus and new-born," or HDFN. This disorder would have made it difficult for the affected generations to reproduce — cutting their bloodline short.

"The fact that these forms of genes were detected in individuals separated by 4,000km and 50,000 years suggest that this genetic peculiarity — and the risk of [an] anaemic foetus — would have been quite common amongst Neanderthals," Stephane Mazieres, a lead author on the paper from Aix-Marseille University, told The Daily Mail.

This is a roadmap to how first contact with aliens actually dooms the human race.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "The whole planet has space herpes?"
    "Yeah it was messed up, the second we made first contact they all just started trying to figure out how to mate with everything on the ship. I told one that he had a cleaning robot and he gave up, but another one said, 'That's my thing!' and hopped on."

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Do temperatures at the core of stars reach a point that they are able to strip electrons from hydrogen?

Can we call that theory the Krogan theory?

Heffling on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Heffling wrote: »
    Do temperatures at the core of stars reach a point that they are able to strip electrons from hydrogen?

I believe so. All the crazy ass magnetic effects are from charged particles moving about, that's plasma, molecules with the elections stripped off.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Wouldn’t fusion not work otherwise?

Edit: in that for the nuclei to have enough kinetic energy to fuse, they’d have to be pretty hot

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Can we call that theory the Krogan theory?

hydrogen starts ionizing around 7000K and will almost certainly be entirely ionized anywhere above 10000K. You need at least ~4 million K to start the proton-proton reaction chain in most stars. Stars a fair bit bigger than our sun are mostly powered by the carbon-nitrogen-oxygen chain which starts at around 14 million K.

also note the proton-proton chain in most stars is extremely slow and inefficient. stars just output a lot of energy because they are so damn big.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »

I believe so. All the crazy ass magnetic effects are from charged particles moving about, that's plasma, molecules with the elections stripped off.

Yeah, I found what I was thinking of, it's called Metallic Hydrogen. Basically at immense pressures which occur in stars and gas giants, hydrogen will start to "share" electrons in the same way that a metal does, which gives it some different properties. If it works like other things do, then increasing temperatures should also lower the required pressure for this to occur (more energetic systems).

I think there's a flaw in representing 1H as proton, because to be hydrogen, it has to have a proton and an electron. I found a wiki article on Cations that states that a proton would be 1H+ where a normal hydrogen atom would just be 1H. The plus indicating the charge of the atom.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Yeah, I found what I was thinking of, it's called Metallic Hydrogen. Basically at immense pressures which occur in stars and gas giants, hydrogen will start to "share" electrons in the same way that a metal does, which gives it some different properties. If it works like other things do, then increasing temperatures should also lower the required pressure for this to occur (more energetic systems).

I think there's a flaw in representing 1H as proton, because to be hydrogen, it has to have a proton and an electron. I found a wiki article on Cations that states that a proton would be 1H+ where a normal hydrogen atom would just be 1H. The plus indicating the charge of the atom.

what we call stuff is pretty arbitrary but the standard is that it is only the number of protons that determines the element regardless of the number of neutrons or electrons

edit: typo above

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Electrons matter for chemistry, but what happens in a star isn't chemistry, electrons don't take part in nuclear reactions until you get to degenerate stellar remnants.

• Options
    I feel like if you say Cation, people are going to think chemistry, instead of physics. Same sorta endpoint, but different way to get there.

Cations can also be things that aren't hydrogen, and most will have some electrons. That'd maybe be a confusing thing to call them, and would imply that the metalic hydrogen had a charge.

i think

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

The temperatures inside stars are too high for metallic hydrogen to form, it stays in a plasma phase. Solid metallic hydrogen doesn't exist at temperatures much above 1000K. For brown dwarfs and gas giants, they are too small to start fusion so their interiors will cool enough for hydrogen to become electron degenerate from the pressure and form liquid metallic hydrogen. But for more massive objects, AKA stars, they'll actually hit fusion temperatures before the interior density causes hydrogen to become degenerate. This keeps hydrogen in a plasma state inside actual stars since the heat from the ongoing fusion process won't ever allow the hydrogen to cool enough to transition down to the liquid metallic phase.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The world health organizational has approved the world's first Malaria vaccine! Malaria is estimated to kill half a million people per year. This is huge news!

Slightly unfortunate timing with the new extreme anti-vax nonsense going around the globe right now, but still, this is amazing!

• Options
    Have we had vaccines for parasites before? for things that aren't viruses?

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Don't know, I'd need to read up on the specifics of malaria. I recall there are some parasites that rely on a symbiotic relationship with virus to successfully do their thing. So in those cases it's more of a vaccine that allows the body to fight off the companion virus the parasites brings and by doing so, the parasite can't do it's thing.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Was there a specific breakthrough for the malaria vaccine, or just 100 years of trying literally everything?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

We have vaccines for Antrax, Typhus, meningococcus, pneumococcus, tetanus, and haemophilius, which are all bacteria. There are promising but not yet approved fungal vaccines.

This is the first parasite vaccine to reach this stage, but it's been around a while and there's other ones in varying stages of development for malaria and guinea worm that I know of.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    Don't know, I'd need to read up on the specifics of malaria. I recall there are some parasites that rely on a symbiotic relationship with virus to successfully do their thing. So in those cases it's more of a vaccine that allows the body to fight off the companion virus the parasites brings and by doing so, the parasite can't do it's thing.

Vaccines just induce immune response: antibodies which target receptors on the parasite and prompt an aggressive immune response against it still kill the parasite. They can target anything the immune system can physically develop some attack vector to.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The world health organizational has approved the world's first Malaria vaccine! Malaria is estimated to kill half a million people per year. This is huge news!

Slightly unfortunate timing with the new extreme anti-vax nonsense going around the globe right now, but still, this is amazing!

People who actually have to deal with malaria aren't going to be nearly as antivax as coddled Americans who've never felt consequences for their actions in their lives and live in a virtual bubble of insipid stupid.

When there's a vaccine drive in, say, rural Africa, women walk all day carrying their children to get them their shots because they know how important it is. "Vaccine hesitation" is for the spoiled rich.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Hevach wrote: »

We have vaccines for Antrax, Typhus, meningococcus, pneumococcus, tetanus, and haemophilius, which are all bacteria. There are promising but not yet approved fungal vaccines.

This is the first parasite vaccine to reach this stage, but it's been around a while and there's other ones in varying stages of development for malaria and guinea worm that I know of.

They're gonna miss their chance for Guinea worm, it'll be eradicated in a year or two.

I think there were 7 recorded cases in 2020 when I last looked, down from 20 something in 2019, I believe?

Edit: 10 cases in 2021 so far, down from 27 in 2020

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

People who actually have to deal with malaria aren't going to be nearly as antivax as coddled Americans who've never felt consequences for their actions in their lives and live in a virtual bubble of insipid stupid.

When there's a vaccine drive in, say, rural Africa, women walk all day carrying their children to get them their shots because they know how important it is. "Vaccine hesitation" is for the spoiled rich.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01426-2
    Shade is a 58-year-old Nigerian frontline health worker living with osteoarthritis. She is also overweight, diabetic and hypertensive, all of which made her first in line for a vaccine against COVID-19 when it finally became available in Nigeria. Her eldest daughter booked an appointment for her at their local primary healthcare center, but when the day came to receive her first dose of the vaccine against COVID-19, she changed her mind. Shade instead chose to take her chance with the virus instead of getting vaccinated.
    “In terms of vaccine hesitancy, we’ve seen a surge in misinformation, particularly in urban areas where there’s high penetration of social media. We’re working on aggressively supporting countries on how to provide the right information to educate the people,” Mihigo adds.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?

With malaria this will probably be somewhat less of a problem since the anti vaxxers here will be less likely to spread it there.

• Options
    Guinea worm would've already been eradicated but it started infecting stray dogs, so the eradication drives have been needing to figure out how to deal with that extra wrinkle.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Mill wrote: »

Vaccines just induce immune response: antibodies which target receptors on the parasite and prompt an aggressive immune response against it still kill the parasite. They can target anything the immune system can physically develop some attack vector to.

I will have to read up on this, Malaria traditionally eludes response by changing its protein coat via quorum sensing and detecting that it's peers in you are getting killed by the immune system. It's why you feel better for a while and then get laid low cyclically.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A fucking malaria vaccine? Even at 50% efficacy to start with, that's amazing.

I am definitely curious as to how it works on the already-infected, seeing as malaria is notorious for the terrible long-term strain it puts on people. I would think that it would have to be effective as both a treatment and a preventative option, considering parasites are actual living organisms that can be killed and not viruses with funky rules.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Looks like the vaccine is only for infants, so it doesn't help adults.

Edit: looks like it's close to 40% effective since it only works on one strain of malaria, and only works in Africa, but it's still a massive win.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_vaccine

This was more detailed and informative than I anticipated. The idea is to target the pre-erythrocytic stage so it is not going to be very useful if you already have a severe infection. Still, any progress against as tricky a pathogen as Plasmodium is welcome.

• Options
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_vaccine

This was more detailed and informative than I anticipated. The idea is to target the pre-erythrocytic stage so it is not going to be very useful if you already have a severe infection. Still, any progress against as tricky a pathogen as Plasmodium is welcome.

Yeah, even only stopping 40% of 260,000 deaths is a big fucking number.

• Options
    DARPA Funded Researchers Accidentally Create The World’s First Warp Bubble

So before you click: "created" is a strong word here. The result in question seems to be the development of the necessary geometry for a practical nanoscale device that should manifest a negative vacuum energy density region of space.

This is still huge though because it's being touted as an actual, practical design - build this and you will have a region of negative vacuum energy to play with in the lab.

This is a big deal: negative energy is the thing you need for every type of esoteric faster-then-light / break the laws of known physics type application. If it's possible to build one of these, it's possible to build thousands and that would represent a bold new frontier of previously inaccessible experimental physics.

I'm pretty much presuming funding to try this is incoming: it's exactly what JET's breakthrough propulsion laboratory is all about.

The paper is here: https://epjc.epj.org/articles/epjc/abs/2021/07/10052_2021_Article_9484/10052_2021_Article_9484.html

The usual provisos of "I don't know the rep of any of these people" apply, but I'm hoping this is something real.

• Options
    Negative vacuum energy is also one of those "oops we broke the universe by reverting the vacuum to a lower ground state" things

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Malaria is basically the 'if you do the math' has killed more people than anything. It is probably one of the biggest influences in modern earth, on a par with oceans and continents.

Quinine was a superweapon because it let you kind of maybe fight malaria. Not entirely or really but better than without it.

If we can just straight up vaccinate half the cases away in a fell swoop, the knock on is crazy for full eradication. Making malaria extinct is a victory.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Malaria is basically the 'if you do the math' has killed more people than anything. It is probably one of the biggest influences in modern earth, on a par with oceans and continents.

Quinine was a superweapon because it let you kind of maybe fight malaria. Not entirely or really but better than without it.

If we can just straight up vaccinate half the cases away in a fell swoop, the knock on is crazy for full eradication. Making malaria extinct is a victory.

Yeah eradicating malaria would be right up there with smallpox

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    the idea of a false vacuum that could flip into a lower energy state is total speculation, with zero experimental evidence suggesting or pointing to it or even hinting that it could be a thing.

it's literally on the same tier as "we could all be in a simulation so maybe we shouldn't poke the code too hard in case we get deleted from the matrix"

we aren't going to know the answer to that question until we poke the code, so fuck it

poke the code

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    the idea of a false vacuum that could flip into a lower energy state is total speculation, with zero experimental evidence suggesting or pointing to it or even hinting that it could be a thing.

it's literally on the same tier as "we could all be in a simulation so maybe we shouldn't poke the code too hard in case we get deleted from the matrix"

we aren't going to know the answer to that question until we poke the code, so fuck it

poke the code

Not like you'd get time to enjoy the success of observational proof. If it happened, the bubble would approach at light speed making it impossible to observe any warning before you simply ceased to exist.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Yeah sure but if god decides to smite you, you are also going to cease to exist.
    Worrying about this is the same energy. It's a worry that was invented out of nothing, a product of anxious speculation, not a reasonable expectation of actual possibility of harm.

Important thing to remember that not all these physics things are actually real.

It's also a kind of egocentric bias to think that humans could possibly invent some kind of energy change that hasn't, at some point in the universe, already happened. Considering the titanic scale of the physics bending forces out there, that have been going on since the start of time.

Although I guess if you really want to spook yourself, since if its possible, it probably already has happened, you could probably imagine that the nothingness wave is propagating towards us at light speed and we wont know about it until too late.

Sweet dreams. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Yeah sure but if god decides to smite you, you are also going to cease to exist.
    Worrying about this is the same energy. It's a worry that was invented out of nothing, a product of anxious speculation, not a reasonable expectation of actual possibility of harm.

Important thing to remember that not all these physics things are actually real.

It's also a kind of egocentric bias to think that humans could possibly invent some kind of energy change that hasn't, at some point in the universe, already happened. Considering the titanic scale of the physics bending forces out there, that have been going on since the start of time.

Although I guess if you really want to spook yourself, since if its possible, it probably already has happened, you could probably imagine that the nothingness wave is propagating towards us at light speed and we wont know about it until too late.

Or the strange matter apocalypse:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8yK2kmxoo

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Or the strange matter apocalypse:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_8yK2kmxoo

https://what-if.xkcd.com/140/

Not quite the same energy, since it's obviously a made up question, but I really like the results of this thought experiment.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Would you like some anti-matter in your regular matter?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/03/absolutely-bonkers-experiment-measures-antiproton-orbiting-helium-ion/

Got you covered! And it done just as a measurement technique.