As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ringo wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I can't take most Thor 2 criticism seriously because Iron Man 2 should be firmly holding the bottom spot of your MCU rankings and notions to the contrary are clearly personal and not objective. You can dislike any or all MCU movies more than Iron Man 2, but if you want me to believe that Iron Man 2 succeeds on any critical metric in comparison to your MCU Most Hated you're going to have to show your work

I'd honestly be more curious to hear why you believe Iron Man 2 should be rated so low; I don't even think of it as the worst film in the Iron Man series.

It's a gigantic mess of a movie and for a variety of reasons. Besides just the woeful use of its actors, it tries the "No Script" setup of Iron Man 1 but 1) Is trying to lift parts of the "Demon in a bottle" storyline to do the heavy lifting for the movie, which is a challenging choice to improv, 2) Are prevented from using alcoholism in the story and instead shoehorn in... blood poisoning which is not remotely the same beats, 3) Are forced to detour to put in MCU/Avengers setup which clearly takes time away from the actual plot of the movie. 4) Which is why Justin Hammer and Whiplash have only one scene each with Stark and then one scene together. Tony spends more time talking to Nick Fury than either of the villains. 5) the ending is a muddled mess because it's clear nobody has any reason to care by that point, cue the cgi punchup where Rhodey is firsf a puppet and then a joke (the Ex-Wife) and Whiplash would rather blow himself up than be in this movie any longer.

Tony Stark cures his alcoholism self-destructive behaviors inability to cope with his own mortality by building a better ARC Reactor. How's that for a satisfying payoff to Tony's IM2 journey! It's almost like when he built the ARC Reactor in IM1 except with zero of the emotional weight of Yensin dying or Tony learning a lesson in morality and ethics!

Compare that with Thor 2's big flaws (which are big!): Neither Jane nor Malekith have characters or arcs in the movie yet they're on screen enough to make you think they should. If you just focus on the Thor/Loki dynamic plus supporting cast Thor 2 is both funny and fun - two traits Iron Man 2 never even approaches

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with Thor 2 was not finding the concept or the execution of the antagonists remotely interesting. My reaction when seeing Malekith was basically Thor's own description of "Dark Elves: oooooh" in Endgame.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Technically Hammer and Vanko have four scenes together. (Their introduction, Vanko being brought to the factory, the bird delivery/let it go scene and then Hammer's ultimatum)

I have two major issues with Thor 2

1. It completely wastes Christopher Eccleston in a bland, uninteresting role that drags down the film.
    2. It goes way to hard on the comedy relief, to the point of basically making Selvig an absolute joke and introducing the "intern's intern" who really serves no purpose in the film that couldn't have already been handled by Darcy. He's a comedic beat that for some reason just hangs around for the rest of a movie.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Oh god I forgot what they did to Selvig. The crazy act that he just drops instantly when the plot needs it was so bad. I think that was the point I almost shut it off

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Black Panther 2 casting spoilers
    Riri Williams aka Ironheart is being introduced in the movie before her series on D+

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can't take most Thor 2 criticism seriously because Iron Man 2 should be firmly holding the bottom spot of your MCU rankings and notions to the contrary are clearly personal and not objective. You can dislike any or all MCU movies more than Iron Man 2, but if you want me to believe that Iron Man 2 succeeds on any critical metric in comparison to your MCU Most Hated you're going to have to show your work

I'd honestly be more curious to hear why you believe Iron Man 2 should be rated so low; I don't even think of it as the worst film in the Iron Man series.

It's a gigantic mess of a movie and for a variety of reasons. Besides just the woeful use of its actors, it tries the "No Script" setup of Iron Man 1 but 1) Is trying to lift parts of the "Demon in a bottle" storyline to do the heavy lifting for the movie, which is a challenging choice to improv, 2) Are prevented from using alcoholism in the story and instead shoehorn in... blood poisoning which is not remotely the same beats, 3) Are forced to detour to put in MCU/Avengers setup which clearly takes time away from the actual plot of the movie. 4) Which is why Justin Hammer and Whiplash have only one scene each with Stark and then one scene together. Tony spends more time talking to Nick Fury than either of the villains. 5) the ending is a muddled mess because it's clear nobody has any reason to care by that point, cue the cgi punchup where Rhodey is firsf a puppet and then a joke (the Ex-Wife) and Whiplash would rather blow himself up than be in this movie any longer.

Tony Stark cures his alcoholism self-destructive behaviors inability to cope with his own mortality by building a better ARC Reactor. How's that for a satisfying payoff to Tony's IM2 journey! It's almost like when he built the ARC Reactor in IM1 except with zero of the emotional weight of Yensin dying or Tony learning a lesson in morality and ethics!

Counterpoint: It has the best Iron Man suit up sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hCOgVa5LI

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Personally I like the falling out of a window sequence

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Iron Man sure was lucky all the people on that plane were professional skydivers.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Iron Man sure was lucky all the people on that plane were professional skydivers.

I imagine if you're onboard Air Force One you've parachuted at least once.

• Options

I was talking about Avengers 1

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Um... What? Administrative staff has zero correlation with skydiving. I just took it as ironman guiding the falling bodies

And for the windows scene, I like it too, I just have to ignore the fact that stopping from repulsor blasts would have exactly the same effect as hitting the concrete

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »

Um... What? Administrative staff has zero correlation with skydiving. I just took it as ironman guiding the falling bodies

And for the windows scene, I like it too, I just have to ignore the fact that stopping from repulsor blasts would have exactly the same effect as hitting the concrete

I believe there are also reporters and rando support staff that travel on Air Force One as well, I was just trying to be snarky and it came out as more of a jerk. I think the only thing you have to do is pass a background check.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I think I figured out what's going on in Eternals from the new trailer. This is speculation but if I need to I'll spoil it. The Eternals were ordered to Earth to fight the Deviants, by their masters - the Celestials. That's why they can't interfere with humanity, they're got a Prime Directive to fulfil. The energy from the Snap awakened a Celestial secretly sleeping in the Earth and who hey have to stop in act 3. Who is this Celestial? Arishem the Judge, which should be familiar to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw6oVPrIOVc

That's the Celestial who destroyed a world, and who was shown for a second in the trailer.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Going off my limited knowledge
    there's actually a handful of Celestials now, atleast 3. The one in Guardians is Eson the Searcher, who is a different color than Arishem. So Arishem the Judge is the red, multi eyes celestial in the trailer. The celestial towards the end of the trailer is yet another one, this time Jemiah the Analyzer (which had a bar named after them on Nowhere so it may be that celestial's skull...)

Oh yeah and they changed Arishem's design in the comics he has squared eyes

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So... sounds like there might be a legit leak of an unfinished version of the Spider-Man No Way Home trailer.

Sony is apparently DMCA'ing it everywhere... so that just means it sounds MORE legit.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's grainy and uses uncompleted cg but you get a decent feel for the trailer.

People are posting it on YouTube faster tab Sony can take it down

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Looks like the plot, according to that leak
    Peter's life turns to crap after the world finds out he's Spider-Man so he goes to Dr. Strange to One More Day away his identity being revealed, and that leads to multiversal shenanigans.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Looks like the plot, according to that
    Peter's life turns to crap after the world finds out he's Spider-Man so he goes to Dr. Strange to One More Day away his identity being revealed, and that leads to multiversal shenanigans.

Oh yes, they should totally adapt The Best Spiderman Story Ever™.
    I fucking hate that comic storyline. I have to admit that most of the reasons don't really apply to the MCU version so maybe they can salvage something from it. Still, I think the MCU should think real long and hard before they start pushing the "NO CONSEQUENCES" button. They've done good so far.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

I fucking hate that comic storyline. I have to admit that most of the reasons don't really apply to the MCU version so maybe they can salvage something from it. Still, I think the MCU should think real long and hard before they start pushing the "NO CONSEQUENCES" button. They've done good so far.
    It sounds like trying to push the "no consequences" button leads to even greater consequences, so I'm not going to worry just yet.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

It sounds like trying to push the "no consequences" button leads to even greater consequences, so I'm not going to worry just yet.

Still talking the comic sides of the above leaks.
    The big thing is there isn't 40 years of spidey history to erase. That it probably won't involve fridging Aunt May would be a step up. I always thought it was especially morbid that Peter gave up his life and trashed his marriage so that a octogenarian could have another year or two. It felt profoundly unhealthy.

Though, I suppose the big question is what the hell is Strange doing when he gets involved in this.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Please mark any leaks, even in quotes.

• Options
    Looks like the plot, according to that leak

Spider-Man leak:
    So looks like a LOT of the cameos are confirmed based on that video. Saw what looked to be Matt Murdoch in the scene where Peter is getting questioned by Police? about Mysterio's death (It wasn't me, the drones did it
    "but you own the drones"), and that was definitely Alfred Molina/Doc Ock at the end. People are also saying they saw a Pumpkin Bomb in there at one point.

But plot does appear to be they go with the reveal at the end of last movie, and its fucking up his life. Strange does the OMD everyone forgets spell, but Peter getting cold feet about it maybe fucks it up and causes multiverse issues? They are legit going the multiverse route with it though, and thats exciting.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    So rewatched Cap 2 as part of my rewatch, classic movie. Suffers a bit from all the pointless stuff with Fury. He burns his eye patch at the end... Only to get a different one later? So knowing the twist(s) makes the movie drag a bit. Still one of the better MCU flicks.

Now I'm on GotG. Phase 2 really was a mixed bag. You've got middling IM3, the excellent Cap 2 and GotG, and the weakest Avengers (Ultron) and worst MCU offender Dark World (which I skipped through, one of the worst intros to a MCU movie where it's all just narrated exposition). Ends on a high note with Ant-Man but I already watched it earlier.

I'll still probably rewatch Age of Ultron anyways

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Back to Spider-Man Leaks (real spoilers)
    double check spoiler
    now leaked images are out of the big three villains, Ock, Electro and Dafoe's Goblin

The previous rumor would be Trailer 1 shows off the bad guys and trailer 2 reveals the other Spidey Bois but who knows

Apparently the leaker was a VFX artist working on the trailer, who is likely now extremely fired

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Compare that with Thor 2's big flaws (which are big!): Neither Jane nor Malekith have characters or arcs in the movie yet they're on screen enough to make you think they should. If you just focus on the Thor/Loki dynamic plus supporting cast Thor 2 is both funny and fun - two traits Iron Man 2 never even approaches

Man, I thought IM2 pretty great and in the top 50% of MCU for sure. Why do people hate it so much?

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The
    double check spoiler
    now leaked images are out of the big three villains, Ock, Electro and Dafoe's Goblin

The previous rumor would be Trailer 1 shows off the bad guys and trailer 2 reveals the other Spidey Bois but who knows

Apparently the leaker was a VFX artist working on the trailer, who is likely now extremely fired

REAL SPOILERS FOR THE LEAKED TRAILER
    "Hello Peter" made me smile so much.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    spider-man spoilers
    I absolutely hated Dafoe's Green Goblin. Like truly hated. Molina was wonderful though

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

Man, I thought IM2 pretty great and in the top 50% of MCU for sure. Why do people hate it so much?

I always figured it was a mix of people judging it harshly just as a movie and judging it harshly for being the first MCU film to start really doing some crossover material.

I get the former, except I don't really care because it's a comic movie and I'm more interested in the characters than it trying to be a high-grade film. I don't get the latter at all because the various threads work fine to me; Antov in particular seems to get a lot of hate because he's speaking Russian or something and I don't get that hate either. He's a miserable monster of a person who blames the Stark family for his father, and he wants to destroy their name rather than simply kill Stark so he teams up with Hammer. Not really much else to get. The final fight is also has some actual heft and weight to it, and Antovs suit seems an actual genuine threat to Stark's.

The film does fun stuff with the armor, lays the groundwork for Stark's later PTSD issues, and has the outrageous gall to be ambitious and start the process of building the connected MCU setting.

IM3 is egregiously worse to me as both a film and an MCU entry. The story is just crap, the villain is lame, the villain's motivation is terrible, and they top it all off with an awful, empty, meaningless junkpile CG fight for an ending. Not to mention the armor that was tank-proof by the second iteration is now all as tough as a bag of chips, just to make it look like the bad guys are a threat. Further, Stark is somehow a mechanical genius that gets so drunk he casually solves an enormously complex biochemical problem in passing that the original scientist couldn't solve, which is some properly wretched writing.

And that cringingly-bad plane rescue, oof. That's easily one of the worst moments in the MCU, it's like something from an awful, desperate 70s sitcom. I had a hard time believing that was actually happening when I saw it, it looked too stupid to be a real scene.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    spider-man spoilers
    I absolutely hated Dafoe's Green Goblin. Like truly hated. Molina was wonderful though
    "OUT AM I?"

Man, how can you hate DaFoe just chewing that scenery for all it's worth? I cannot wait to see him return to the role.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I know Marvel are putting out some 800 of these right now of varying degrees of pointlessness, but I liked this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDDUoF3Gh8

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    spider-man spoilers
    "OUT AM I?"

Man, how can you hate DaFoe just chewing that scenery for all it's worth? I cannot wait to see him return to the role.
    It was just so cheesy and ham fisted. He may as well have just started yelling 'I'm insaaaaaane' to get the point extra across. Maybe he did?

• Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    spider-man spoilers
    "OUT AM I?"

It was just so cheesy and ham fisted. He may as well have just started yelling 'I'm insaaaaaane' to get the point extra across. Maybe he did?
    The Raimi spider-man's are incredibly corny movies from top-to-bottom. That's part of their charm.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    double check spoiler

Why would you do this to yourself

what possible benefit did he/she gain

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Maybe they don't actually want to work there anymore? CGI FX artists are like the one area of film production that isn't unionized (which was probably the real reason that films came to rely on CGI so heavily when it just wasn't there yet).

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    double check spoiler

I'm guessing he was showing it off to his friends and didn't expect second cell-phone guy to release it to the internet.

• Options
    Yep, I'm sure today started with several phone calls to his lawyer. :?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    double check spoiler

I'm guessing he was showing it off to his friends and didn't expect second cell-phone guy to release it to the internet.

That's still dumb as hell, no matter how awesome it would be to show it off to your friends.

• Options
    There's been another Spider-man related leak this morning. Almost makes you feel sorry for Sony
    Photos from shooting that has Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in costume

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    There's been another Spider-man related leak this morning. Almost makes you feel sorry for Sony
    Photos from shooting that has Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield in costume

Yep, saw this also. Sony is incredibly leaky today.

Cannot wait to finally see this movie in action.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-2cxAiPJk

AND ITS LIVE.

Holy shit that laugh at the end is unmistakeable.

This discussion has been closed.