As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking Thread] Burning questions and searing remarks

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »
    I grew up on syrup so artificial, my mom kept a bottle of McCormick Imitation Maple Flavor to make syrup up in a pinch. Though that might have been slightly less artificial than the ones bought in the grocery store...

It wasn't until I moved to Canada and hung out with a friend who was aghast at anything than real maple syrup that I actually tried it. Never going back. I've used only Grade B/dark from then on. My wife still insists on a bottle of Log Cabin kept in the fridge for her, though. Philistine.

Yes, the proper way. The descriptions are like "too bold for table syrup, used for baking" and I'm like "Fuck yourselves, this is the only one worth using".

Personally I want to get my hands on the "commercial grade" stuff they supposedly don't sell in stores. So dark you can't see the food beneath it.

Did you know it goes back to the colonists inferiority complex about sugar? They strove for pure white nearly flavorless sweeteners, like the expensive imported cane sugar. Thus the darker the syrup, the more they shunned it.

And now the tables have turned. Much like with lobster.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I hate flavorless syrup. If it were possible to make a maple syrup that was bitter while tasting like maple, I'd use that. As it is I'll use a tiny touch of real maple syrup atop something but otherwise fuck that noise.

There's some weird short thing I watched once with a guy eating sausages doused in light karo syrup and I can't think about it without feeling nauseated.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    I hate flavorless syrup. If it were possible to make a maple syrup that was bitter while tasting like maple, I'd use that. As it is I'll use a tiny touch of real maple syrup atop something but otherwise fuck that noise.

There's some weird short thing I watched once with a guy eating sausages doused in light karo syrup and I can't think about it without feeling nauseated.

When we were out of maple syrup and maple flavoring, my mom would bring out the light karo.

*shudder*

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I grew up on syrup so artificial, my mom kept a bottle of McCormick Imitation Maple Flavor to make syrup up in a pinch. Though that might have been slightly less artificial than the ones bought in the grocery store...

It wasn't until I moved to Canada and hung out with a friend who was aghast at anything than real maple syrup that I actually tried it. Never going back. I've used only Grade B/dark from then on. My wife still insists on a bottle of Log Cabin kept in the fridge for her, though. Philistine.

Yes, the proper way. The descriptions are like "too bold for table syrup, used for baking" and I'm like "Fuck yourselves, this is the only one worth using".

Personally I want to get my hands on the "commercial grade" stuff they supposedly don't sell in stores. So dark you can't see the food beneath it.

Did you know it goes back to the colonists inferiority complex about sugar? They strove for pure white nearly flavorless sweeteners, like the expensive imported cane sugar. Thus the darker the syrup, the more they shunned it.

American's didn't start boiling lobsters alive until the late 1800s, so I always wondered if the people shunned it early on because it was decomposed and terrible tasting.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

American's didn't start boiling lobsters alive until the late 1800s, so I always wondered if the people shunned it early on because it was decomposed and terrible tasting.

Early on they boiled the whole fucking lobster (carapace and all) and then mashed it into a presumably horrible paste. I don't blame the prisoners rioting over it.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited July 2021

I found this, "Humans were boiling lobsters alive thousands of years ago. The first recorded case came from recipes attributed to the famous Roman Cook Caelius Apicius in the first century. American chefs later adopted the process by 1880, when they discovered that the dish looks and tastes better when the animal is boiled alive."

Also, some of those humans were the Algonquins, which taught (future) Americans how to cook them properly. Of course all you have to do is look at corn and pellagra to prove the colonists often ignored the knowledge of the people who'd been eating the local food for millenia. But I do have to be skeptical about that claim of 1880, as I see it reproduced verbatim almost everywhere. I have to wonder if maybe it refers to boiling the whole lobster. There's not much difference in boiling a whole lobster and snapping the claws and tail off and cooking them right then. Back then, smaller animals were pretty regularly slaughtered right before cooking. I don't see why it wouldn't be much different with lobsters in coastal towns.

Here's Townsends doing a recipe form 1755:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es_Ga7g2k30

In addition to that 1755 cookbook, Hannah Glasse's landmark 1747 cookbook The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy had a bunch of lobster recipes. It was published in England but was incredibly popular in America.

I'm going to find it hard to believe that there could be that many popular recipes for lobster 140 years earlier than they figured out how to cook them before they decomposed.

Plus, they were canning them in the 1830s and topping salads in restaurants with it in the 1850s.

That article also mentions the 1880 claim, but it's more in the context of "its full spectrum of flavor is only brought out if it is submerged in boiling water while still alive". That's a far cry from "prior to that they ate them in a horrible tasting decomposed state."
    Early on they boiled the whole fucking lobster (carapace and all) and then mashed it into a presumably horrible paste. I don't blame the prisoners rioting over it.

I'm also kind of skeptical about the "carapace and all" claim. You have any citation? Willing to be proved wrong.

My take on all this is that - even today - a lot of people consider lobster to be pretty bland. I'm one of them. Imagine it in an institutional setting. They just take it and do the bare minimum of salting/seasoning. Maybe it's just salt, and not a whole lot of it. Wouldn't you riot over having that seven days a week? I think I'd riot over having boiled boneless skinless chicken breasts at the same frequency.

dennis on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    As someone that lives in Maryland where steamed crabs are the canon way of cooking them, I can't imagine people boiling seafood and losing flavor in the process. That said, I think the best flavor for lobster comes from roasting or grilling it lightly to medium or so. I basically follow Kenji's method from here: https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-shuck-lobster

Also, apparently the old recipes boiled the lobster way too long, about double what you need to get it to medium on top of leeching a lot of the flavor out and making the meat rubbery. That definitely wouldn't help people's opinion of their flavor.

Related: I keep a small camping/hunting fixed blade knife in my kitchen. I'll use it for tasks not directly involving food that I don't want to use my kitchen knives for like opening packages but it's mostly in the kitchen to stab lobsters. My kitchen knives will do the job with some work but it's much easier to use something better designed for piercing.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I just don't eat that much stir fry

I think we figured out your problem. Also you can stir fry all the things.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

even peanut butter!

full circle

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »

even peanut butter!

full circle

ch0wvos97qjq.png

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

even peanut butter!

full circle

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/my/ch0wvos97qjq.png

I know just by looking at it. That peanut butter is crap. No better than Jif. If it says no stir on it that means they're using hydrogenated oil. It probably has sugar in it too. That is a jar of lies.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I noped as soon as I saw "spread" on the label.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

even peanut butter!

full circle

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/my/ch0wvos97qjq.png

I know just by looking at it. That peanut butter is crap. No better than Jif. If it says no stir on it that means they're using hydrogenated oil. It probably has sugar in it too. That is a jar of lies.

DRY-ROASTED BLANCHED ORGANIC PEANUTS, ORGANIC PALM FRUIT OIL, ORGANIC SUGAR, SALT.

Look, it's organic. That means it's better. (I have feelings about the "organic" food movement.)

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Good lord, folks, but you've got a hair trigger.

even peanut butter!

full circle

And then I posted a picture of "Full Circle" brand peanut butter.

itsajoke.gif

(That's also a joke, if you pronounce it "right".)

dennis on
  • Options
    Turns out I was sleeping on French Toast. I was ignoring it because French recipes are usually dairy-rich in a way that I can't substitute for properly, but here I was just able to directly substitute non-dairy milk for dairy milk, with no other substitutions needed. That results in an easy and tasty way to create a plate full of hot carbs covered in syrup.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    the egg does more work than the milk really anyway

i like to mix a bit of Frangelico in mine

• Options
    Turns out I was sleeping on French Toast.

I had notifications for this thread and the Parenting thread. I clicked here and read that and thought, "Yeah, that's parenting for you. Sometimes you wake up and realize someone had put French toast in your bed."

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

Frangelico sounds good. I usually throw in some vanilla extract. I prefer to top with jam or a berry compote type thing than just syrup.

• Options
    Cauld wrote: »

Frangelico sounds good. I usually throw in some vanilla extract. I prefer to top with jam or a berry compote type thing than just syrup.

I got with almond extract, because I love a local breakfast place that does that. But I never put in enough, out of paranoia for it being too much. I've been known to put too much mint in brownies. At least, too much for my wife...

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Torrijas is one of many French Toast style dishes that use wine instead of milk. It's not really for kids, though most of the alcohol is cooked off.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Torrijas is one of many French Toast style dishes that use wine instead of milk. It's not really for kids, though most of the alcohol is cooked off.

hmm that sounds pretty interesting

• Options
    I made some lemon ice cream (my son's idea). This was actually the second time we made it, and boy does it makes for a very refreshing treat. And it's pretty simple.
    1 3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 or 2 tablespoons lemon zest (it's all to taste)

You can make it a bunch of different ways. I usually dissolve the sugar in the milk over low heat, and put it and the cream together in one bowl. Then I put the juice and zest in another dish and let them both chill. Then I combine then (straining out the zest) right before churning. It'd probably be interesting to put it all together in advance. I assume you'd get more of a cheesecake-y flavor. My son doesn't like cheesecake so I do it the other way.

Graham crackers make a great topping.

It'd probably also be great with lime instead of lemon.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I made some lemon ice cream (my son's idea). This was actually the second time we made it, and boy does it makes for a very refreshing treat. And it's pretty simple.
    1 3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice

You can make it a bunch of different ways. I usually dissolve the sugar in the milk over low heat, and put it and the cream together in one bowl. Then I put the juice and zest in another dish and let them both chill. Then I combine then (straining out the zest) right before churning. It'd probably be interesting to put it all together in advance. I assume you'd get more of a cheesecake-y flavor. My son doesn't like cheesecake so I do it the other way.

I think you could just insert any citrus fruit into that recipe and get something quite delish.

• Options
    1 3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice

I think you could just insert any citrus fruit into that recipe and get something quite delish.

I'm not sure. I think if you did orange, you'd need to add some orange extract as well. It just doesn't have quite the same potency, I think. Maybe if you did plenty of zest. You could potentially heat it in the milk to better infuse it.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    1 3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice

I'm not sure. I think if you did orange, you'd need to add some orange extract as well. It just doesn't have quite the same potency, I think. Maybe if you did plenty of zest. You could potentially heat it in the milk to better infuse it.

Every time I've made a citrus ice cream it's involved using zest, not juice. Most of it has been orange extract too. If you leave the zest in during the churn, one orange is plenty. You need more if you strain out the zest from what I've read but I've never strained it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Meal: Guajillo Chicken tacos w/ avocado salsa & cantaloupe

The chicken in this is dark and flavorful but the chilis come out tasting almost sweet and barely spicy at all
    The salsa is bright, acidy, creamy
    Moments in this will seem wildly spicy but the finished product is pretty mild, and I think a really good entry point for more interesting mexican flavors. it's chili but not burn, spice but not fire, and super easy to prepare.

You're going to need:

for the Chicken
    2-3 boneless chicken breasts
    1-2 dried guajillo chilis
    olive oil
    salt

For the avocado salsa
    3 tomatillos, husked, rinsed well and quartered (hey, do not skip the rinsing part if you've never cooked with these. They have a gross slime between the husk (leafy bit) and the smooth tomato-like fruit inside. Wash it off.)
    ¼ cup coarsely chopped white onion
    2 jalapeño or serrano chiles (do the serranos, make the sacrifice), stemmed and coarsely chopped, seeded to taste
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
    1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
    2 ripe medium Hass avocados, coarsely chopped

Additional needs:
    small (street taco sized) corn or flour tortillas (I like the corn much better after trying it)
    sour cream
    cholula hot sauce (optional)

Begin:

Put everything for the salsa except the avocado into a blender or a food processor or a mortar & pestle if you're popeye
    Blend the shit out of it until smooth.
    Taste - it should hit you like bright grassy spicy wow, really strong but with an abrupt fall-off. Set this aside.
    Slice a half a cantaloupe and cube it, set that aside too.

Throw your guajillos in a dry pan on medium and roast them until they've got a few black spots.
    Remove and let cool. While that's happening, clean and dice the chicken down to half-inch cubes. No big bites here, we're making street taco sized portions. Throw the chicken in a bowl with salt and oil.

Split and discard the seeds from the guajillos. Put the pan back on the stove. Toss them in a bowl of water for 2 minutes or so. When they're soft, dice them up and throw them back in the pan, which should be on medium and should be plenty hot now. Chicken goes overtop of them, pour in 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice or squeeze two lime wedges in, toss and saute.

While that's happening, dice up two avocados in a bowl and mash them to your desired level of chunkiness. Add in at least half the tomatillo sauce, stir to combine, and taste. Might need some more salt or more lime or more sauce. You're shooting for thinner than guacamole but not pourable - it should still be scoopable with a chip. This should now taste really summery and bright with the barest hint of spice.

When the chicken is done and the pan is basically dry again, remove from the heat. Add another pan, drop the corn tortillas in there. Heat for less than a minute on each side, you don't want them to get crispy - just toasty warm.

Assembly - serving is 2-3 tortillas

Tortilla
    mound of Avocado salsa
    Chicken (make sure you get some guajillo in there)
    dollop of sour cream
    dash of cholula

Toss some cantaloupe on the side to cut the heat and spice, and chow down.

w1doamzfqkfr.jpg

spool32 on
  • Options
    1 3/4 cup whipping cream
    1 1/4 cup whole milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup lemon juice

Every time I've made a citrus ice cream it's involved using zest, not juice. Most of it has been orange extract too. If you leave the zest in during the churn, one orange is plenty. You need more if you strain out the zest from what I've read but I've never strained it.

Makes sense. In this case, though, we wanted the sourness of the lemon, not just the flavor. This all started because my son was squeezing regular lemons onto his ice cream.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So after years of having trouble with sweet potatoes, I finally looked it up and found out that apparently you're not supposed to store them in the refrigerator or else it will fundamentally change the texture. I haven't seen the explanation, but I suspect that perhaps it kills the enzyme that converts starch into sugar?

Anyway, is this something that people are expected to simply know?

• Options
    So after years of having trouble with sweet potatoes, I finally looked it up and found out that apparently you're not supposed to store them in the refrigerator or else it will fundamentally change the texture. I haven't seen the explanation, but I suspect that perhaps it kills the enzyme that converts starch into sugar?

Anyway, is this something that people are expected to simply know?

Rule of thumb with vegetables: look where the store put them. Unless they're in the sprayer or refrigerator, keep them out of the fridge. The store has done their research. If it would keep better in the fridge, the store would have put it there.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    also, particularly for things like sweet potatoes/yams/kumara varieties that are the staple food for many indigenous cultures stretching back before refrigeration was a thing.

or, root vegetables go into a root cellar, which while cool and dark, is not refrigerated and those products were able to sustain communities for long winters.

though, I guess that method really relies on having a wider knowledge of history?

So yeah, just look at where the food store stores them.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    My grocery store puts sweet potatoes in the refrigerator...

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Made a pretty good approximation of Chipotle barbacoa today entirely by accident.

What you need is some stew beef (like 1.5 lbs) and an instant pot. Brown the beef well in a couple tbsp of neutral oil and then add a decent amount (like 1/4 cup for 1.5 lbs beef) chili powder to the pot with some ground cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook that for a minute or so the bring the flavors out, add 1.5 tsp of beef better than bullion and 1 cup water. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Break it up (you may need to add some extra water to make a better sauce) and serve with rice, beans, and guac. Chips go great as well. This is very lightly seasoned salt wise (I have to watch my salt intake) so add more if you want more.

It made a really great lunch. Everything was completely prepable in 30 minutes as well, so it was very quick too.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Made a pretty good approximation of Chipotle barbacoa today entirely by accident.

What you need is some stew beef (like 1.5 lbs) and an instant pot. Brown the beef well in a couple tbsp of neutral oil and then add a decent amount (like 1/4 cup for 1.5 lbs beef) chili powder to the pot with some ground cumin, black pepper, and garlic powder. Cook that for a minute or so the bring the flavors out, add 1.5 tsp of beef better than bullion and 1 cup water. Cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Break it up (you may need to add some extra water to make a better sauce) and serve with rice, beans, and guac. Chips go great as well. This is very lightly seasoned salt wise (I have to watch my salt intake) so add more if you want more.

It made a really great lunch. Everything was completely prepable in 30 minutes as well, so it was very quick too.

While it sounded awesome on its own, I was really interested in the low salt bit. I've also been told to watch my salt because of high blood pressure, and have dramatically increased my consumption of baked potatoes. Not only does reducing the salt help, but the huge amount of potassium in them helps lessen the effects of sodium. I'm kind of going all out right now before a physical to recheck everything to see if the HBP is salt-sensitive (sometimes it isn't).

This sounds like it would be pretty tasty on top of a baked potato. I would sometimes go to a buffet that has both mashed potatoes and a taco bar, and the barbacoa on top of the potatoes was such a great combination. I had thought it'd be pretty hard to do this for my new baked potato habit, but it sounds like you were able to get good flavor without pouring on the salt.

Oh, and if anyone else has any fantastic things they found worked well for them on a low salt diet, please do post them. I really need to get the smoker out and smoke up some chicken for a low sodium sandwich meat (picking chicken without added sodium, of course).

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Not a recipe per se, but I just ordered myself some straight potassium chloride. You can get it at Amazon pretty cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Substitute/dp/B000WSP6WM/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0

I don't have high blood pressure per se, but a recent study showed pretty marked benefits in just replacing a portion of people's normal sodium chloride table salt with potassium chloride:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2105675
    We conducted an open-label, cluster-randomized trial involving persons from 600 villages in rural China. The participants had a history of stroke or were 60 years of age or older and had high blood pressure. The villages were randomly assigned in a 1:1 ratio to the intervention group, in which the participants used a salt substitute (75% sodium chloride and 25% potassium chloride by mass), or to the control group, in which the participants continued to use regular salt (100% sodium chloride). The primary outcome was stroke, the secondary outcomes were major adverse cardiovascular events and death from any cause, and the safety outcome was clinical hyperkalemia.

RESULTS
    A total of 20,995 persons were enrolled in the trial. The mean age of the participants was 65.4 years, and 49.5% were female, 72.6% had a history of stroke, and 88.4% a history of hypertension. The mean duration of follow-up was 4.74 years. The rate of stroke was lower with the salt substitute than with regular salt (29.14 events vs. 33.65 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.86; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.77 to 0.96; P=0.006), as were the rates of major cardiovascular events (49.09 events vs. 56.29 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.87; 95% CI, 0.80 to 0.94; P<0.001) and death (39.28 events vs. 44.61 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.88; 95% CI, 0.82 to 0.95; P<0.001). The rate of serious adverse events attributed to hyperkalemia was not significantly higher with the salt substitute than with regular salt (3.35 events vs. 3.30 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 1.04; 95% CI, 0.80 to 1.37; P=0.76).

CONCLUSIONS
    Among persons who had a history of stroke or were 60 years of age or older and had high blood pressure, the rates of stroke, major cardiovascular events, and death from any cause were lower with the salt substitute than with regular salt.

My wife claims its bitter on its own, but honestly I can't really taste the difference.

Also, not to preach, but baked potatoes are some of the literal worst foods out there. Just pure carbohydrate, empty calories. If you want more potassium, there are much better ways to get there!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    Not a recipe per se, but I just ordered myself some straight potassium chloride. You can get it at Amazon pretty cheap:
    https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Potassium-Chloride-Substitute/dp/B000WSP6WM/ref=sxts_rp_s1_0

I don't have high blood pressure per se, but a recent study showed pretty marked benefits in just replacing a portion of people's normal sodium chloride table salt with potassium chloride:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2105675
    We conducted an open-label, cluster-randomized trial involving persons from 600 villages in rural China. The participants had a history of stroke or were 60 years of age or older and had high blood pressure. The villages were randomly assigned in a 1:1 ratio to the intervention group, in which the participants used a salt substitute (75% sodium chloride and 25% potassium chloride by mass), or to the control group, in which the participants continued to use regular salt (100% sodium chloride). The primary outcome was stroke, the secondary outcomes were major adverse cardiovascular events and death from any cause, and the safety outcome was clinical hyperkalemia.

RESULTS
    A total of 20,995 persons were enrolled in the trial. The mean age of the participants was 65.4 years, and 49.5% were female, 72.6% had a history of stroke, and 88.4% a history of hypertension. The mean duration of follow-up was 4.74 years. The rate of stroke was lower with the salt substitute than with regular salt (29.14 events vs. 33.65 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.86; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.77 to 0.96; P=0.006), as were the rates of major cardiovascular events (49.09 events vs. 56.29 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.87; 95% CI, 0.80 to 0.94; P<0.001) and death (39.28 events vs. 44.61 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 0.88; 95% CI, 0.82 to 0.95; P<0.001). The rate of serious adverse events attributed to hyperkalemia was not significantly higher with the salt substitute than with regular salt (3.35 events vs. 3.30 events per 1000 person-years; rate ratio, 1.04; 95% CI, 0.80 to 1.37; P=0.76).

CONCLUSIONS
    Among persons who had a history of stroke or were 60 years of age or older and had high blood pressure, the rates of stroke, major cardiovascular events, and death from any cause were lower with the salt substitute than with regular salt.

My wife claims its bitter on its own, but honestly I can't really taste the difference.

Also, not to preach, but baked potatoes are some of the literal worst foods out there. Just pure carbohydrate, empty calories. If you want more potassium, there are much better ways to get there!

You can also get "lite" salt, which is a mixture of potassium chloride and sodium chloride, or you could manually mix it up yourself in the obvious way. I can't stand potassium chloride by itself, but in proportion it's fine.

I'll also point out monosodium glutamate (MSG). (The panic over MSG was completely overblown, by the way.) This isn't a proper salt substitute, but you can substitute some salt with MSG. (Sold in my grocery store under "Accent".)

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    With potassium based replacements, you need to be careful depending on what medicines you take. I take losartan, so my doctor told me not to take any potassium supplements/use potassium salt based replacements.

Instead, I've been eating a ton more fruit. My breakfast usually consists of some cereal (specifically this stuff: https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/products/natures-path-foods/heritage-flakes-32oz/) and berries and a banana with a dab of honey. Very high in fiber, low in sodium, and high in potassium. That cereal is the crunchiest stuff I've ever had too, holds up to milk very well. Its really good stuff.

Otherwise, throughout the day you need to get a scale that can do 1/10th of gram increments and measure the salt you put into things. I'm getting ready to cook a couple of steaks I found in my freezer, and instead of eyeballing it, I weighed out 1.5g of salt to split between them (steaks are a splurge item) and that is all they get. Weighing your salt is the easiest way to be sure when you are limiting your salt intake.

Also exercise, been actually trying to do that regularly for the first time in my life. And cut back on the coffee!

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    eMoander wrote: »

Carbohydrates (in the form of starch, as opposed to sugar) aren't "empty calories". This is a bunch of simplistic junk science. Both the writing off of potatoes and the demonizing of carbohydrates.

Food is only made of three things: protein, carbohydrates (sugar, starch and fiber) and fat. People shouldn't get 100% of their calories from carbs, but they also shouldn't get 100% of them from protein. And definitely not fat. It's been a hot topic of debate for years what exactly those ratios are (and whether fiber is overrated), but saying baked potatoes are "some of the literal worst foods out there" is just risible. Unless you load them up with things that aren't baked potatoes, like bacon, sour cream, butter, etc. And then it's not the potato that's the problem but all those other things you're eating!

As long as you're not cutting them up, frying them, processing them, putting tons of other things on them, I challenge you to classify any vegetable as a "worst food." It's all that other shit we put in our bodies that's the problem. Hell, you get more carbs than a baked potato in a single can of coke, and it's in the form of sugar instead of starch and fiber. Yeah, you shouldn't let any one food be a major percentage of your diet, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Sorry if I'm going on a rant, but it's just really annoying when you make a healthy change to your diet and replace cold cut sandwiches and fast food with a potato for lunch with some low-sodium whole cuts of lean meat, and someone pounces and tells you you're doing it all wrong! It's like seeing someone very overweight jogging out on the street and walking up to them and saying, "You know, jogging is really bad for you." What kind of message is that?

dennis on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Yeah, baked potatoes are not calorie dense and are decently nutritious

I’m not sure what makes them the worst food

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Now if we're talking about sweet potatoes, that there is a super food

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I don't how many things food is made out of, but fat is definitely one of them.