As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Kira is best companion, y/y?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Well, dang. The guild master of the guild(s) I have some Star Forge alts in seems to have closed the Discord, taken the Encryptions and some other big ticket items out of the bank, and changed the MOTD to "Bye". But... their characters are still in the guild? wtf.

Maybe they got hacked? Maybe the guild(s) will be gone next time I log in? no ****ing idea.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Well, dang. The guild master of the guild(s) I have some Star Forge alts in seems to have closed the Discord, taken the Encryptions and some other big ticket items out of the bank, and changed the MOTD to "Bye". But... their characters are still in the guild? wtf.

Maybe they got hacked? Maybe the guild(s) will be gone next time I log in? no ****ing idea.

More likely they just won't log in anymore, and after a month and at 30 days the system will award guild leader to the first person who logs in.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Shit, that sucks.

Weird stuff that went on with my own Imperial guild recently: it was largely abandoned to go to a new guild. However, I never got around to joining them, because 25 Imperial alts and they also did it when I wasn't subscribed so I wouldn't even be able to migrate everybody at once. (For reference, there are forty characters left in the guild.) Because I had so many left, the last active player to leave passed me GM. The old GM contacted me and asked me to hand it to them so that they could pass it off to the person who founded the guild even before I joined (which was in like 2013 or something). I was annoyed, given that I couldn't remember seeing them play in years if ever, but I figured that divesting of the responsibility of being GM (not like there's much responsiblity; I have 25 characters and there are forty characters left in the guild) would encourage me to jump ship to the new guild.

Today (about two weeks later), I log in to find that my main Imperial character has been made GM again.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Shit, that sucks.

Weird stuff that went on with my own Imperial guild recently: it was largely abandoned to go to a new guild. However, I never got around to joining them, because 25 Imperial alts and they also did it when I wasn't subscribed so I wouldn't even be able to migrate everybody at once. (For reference, there are forty characters left in the guild.) Because I had so many left, the last active player to leave passed me GM. The old GM contacted me and asked me to hand it to them so that they could pass it off to the person who founded the guild even before I joined (which was in like 2013 or something). I was annoyed, given that I couldn't remember seeing them play in years if ever, but I figured that divesting of the responsibility of being GM (not like there's much responsiblity; I have 25 characters and there are forty characters left in the guild) would encourage me to jump ship to the new guild.

Today (about two weeks later), I log in to find that my main Imperial character has been made GM again.

Are there any other people who are actually active in that guild?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    If there are, they aren't on when I am. I'm mostly keeping it so I can get stuff like getting the weekly conquest reward without having to go through the rigamarole of shuffling all my alts over just yet.

EDIT: And also no. I got bumped up to GM because the GM hadn't logged in for a month. Insisting on being passed lead and then they don't even care enough to keep logging in? Tempted to kick 'em out entirely. Not that it matters.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Does SWTOR switching to referencing Central Time mean anything?

• Options
    Nothing I can find. It's made by Bioware Austin, yeah? So probably just for the convenience of the studio. Don't know why they'd switch after almost ten years but...

Finally dinged 100 for galactic seasons. The timer is sometimes wonky but apparently there are 66 days left.

• Options
    Took some time to indulge myself with Nar Shaddaa Nightlife this weekend. Realized that the cartel certificates I was getting so many of (over 100 now!) were kind of pointless for getting the really good stuff (i.e. stuff that goes into collections you can buy from the bazaar vendors and that normally goes on the GTN for 100m+ when it's available at all), because I didn't get the reputation up and fuck if I'm buying loot boxes for real money or coins and I don't have the credits to buy them off the GTN.

Then I remembered the existence of the contraband cartel slot machine decoration. I don't have any, and I'm not very sociable and the guild is functionally empty now so I don't know anyone else who does.

And then, while looking at the contraband slot machines in the decorations, saw the little "guild owns: 20" indicator. So I went to the flagship and oh look, they'd been placed. (Even if they hadn't, this is the guild I'd defaulted into being GM for.) And oh, how thoughtful, there's the NPC vendor you get, who sells the chips, standing right beside the machines.

One million credits later I have enough rep items to get me to Legend standing. Though I'll still need to wait until at least next week to use them all.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    If there are, they aren't on when I am.

Doesn't the guild window show last time character was logged in?
    I think it even lets you sort by it.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Looks like they're making some changes with the new update:

- Classes will become Origin Stories, embodying your character’s voice, background, and where their story begins in the Old Republic.

- Advanced Classes will become Combat Styles which determines how your character fights from level 1 and beyond.

There are still two limitations on which Combat Styles are available to which Origin Stories:

- If your character has a blaster-wielding Origin Story--Trooper, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, or Agent--they will have access to only the “Tech” Combat Styles: Vanguard, Commando, Powertech, Mercenary, Scoundrel, Gunslinger, Operative, and Sniper.

- If your character has a Force-based Origin Story--Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Sith Warrior, or Sith Inquisitor--they will initially only have access to other Force-based Combat Styles that match their faction’s overall alignment:
    - Jedi Knights and Jedi Consulars will be able to choose between Guardian, Sentinel, Sage, or Shadow Combat Styles at level 1.
    - Sith Warriors and Sith Inquisitors will be able to choose between Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer, or Assassin Combat Styles at level 1.

If your character’s choices lead them away from their faction’s alignment and down the path of light side or dark side, they will eventually unlock the option to pick the other faction’s Combat Styles in addition to their own.

With this new separation of Origin Story and Combat Style, there are so many new possibilities to play your character’s story any way you choose. But what does this look like in-game? There a few different ways you will make this decision:

- If you are creating a new character, you will first choose your Origin Story, then your Combat Style. This offers you the choice up front, so you can start your journey with the story and play style combination that works for the type of character you want to play.

- If you create a boosted character, you will choose your Origin Story then Combat Style in a similar way to new character creation.

- If you have an existing character when Legacy of the Sith launches, when you log into the game, you will be able to choose a Combat Style immediately. You can choose a Combat Style similar to your previous Advanced Class or choose something new. The choice is yours!

This is, well... unexpected that they'd go this far, but it opens up a lot more customization as far as characters go- pretty much it frees up Tech characters to potentially use any firearm or fighting style. So you could get an Imperial Agent who uses dual blaster pistols, a Bounty Hunter who uses a sniper rifle, or more.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    There is no doubt this is a good move. I'm not certain everyone agrees with me but Final Fantasy XIV's system seems like the best option for alts--you can be every class on one character, it just takes time.

EDIT: This is to say nothing of cosmetic things for people who like to make knockoff characters (as I've sometimes done)--suddenly a character will be able to go through the Trooper storyline as a Sniper like Crosshair or a sneaky knife knut like Hunter, from Bad Batch.

But as someone who has a character for literally every spec and then some, I find myself wishing for things like "I want to mechanically remain a Jedi Sentinel but be able to use a lightsaber and focus instead of two lightsabers."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    But as someone who has a character for literally every spec and then some, I find myself wishing for things like "I want to mechanically remain a Jedi Sentinel but be able to use a lightsaber and focus instead of two lightsabers."

Yeah, the power selection and weapon types for Force users never made sense. Why would the stealth specs run around with an 8ft wide double saber? That’s… not stealthy at all.

• Options
    htm wrote: »

Yeah, the power selection and weapon types for Force users never made sense. Why would the stealth specs run around with an 8ft wide double saber? That’s… not stealthy at all.

Because wizards have staffs! (yes, it's incredibly dumb)

• Options
    Because Darth Maul. There's your entire answer.

• Options
    Yup. The Inquisitor's two subclasses are Maul and Sidious, straight up; and their Jedi mirror classes are exactly that, whether they make any sense as Jedi or not.

• Options
    The Shadows existed as an organization within the Jedi Order in the KOTOR era, but there was never anything about them using saberstaffs exclusively. (However, KOTOR II had Guardian/Sentinel/Consular as the Fighter/Rogue/Mage trio, and IIRC the Shadows were supposedly drawn from the ranks of sentinels. And certainly there was nothing about sentinels using two lightsabers.)

As for the Sages...Yoda.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Finally done with all the "kill 1000 npcs with [companion]" achievements. Last to fall was discount khem val, whatever his name is.

Now I can just use whatever companion I feel like.

And am paralyzed with indecision.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Yeah that's 100% BioWare game problem right there.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Patch tomorrow.

Mostly bug fixes and tweaks, down to things like "fixed a typo in a conversation." Only real thing I noted is that they seem to have acknowledged criticism about the walker sections in Eternal Throne and Iokath story missions so they're making the walkers faster and more powerful.

Oh, and also the new companion they introduced for the battle pass system will actually be working. (The "target takes 10% extra damage" debuff didn't actually make the target take extra damage, in any role.)

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So apparently for 7.0, Subscribers will be able to have 2 hot-swappable load outs (including separate combat styles) that will be able to be switch as long as you are both outside of an instance and outside of combat

So basically now everyone gets stealth (as long as they are subscribed)

• Options
    Rakghoul event time. EVERYONE BUM RUSH THE LOKIN RECRUITMENT MISSION ON YOUR ALTS

So I made what I thought was a huge mistake on the GTN recently. Like, huge. One of the outfits I've wanted for my main has been the Je'daii Warrior set. I also managed to sell a mid-nine-figures item (it was a lightsaber from the command crates of last expansion, one of which I already had and had no particular attachment to anyway), so I was suddenly flush by my standards (until now I'd never had more than 150m or so at once, though after several weeks of hard trading I'd been approaching that number again from selling decorations and such). But I waited, because I wanted to see if the price would go down (it was about 300m when I got my windfall).

It didn't by much...not for the complete set, but after a few days I saw that all of a sudden the individual components seemed to be there for what was less than the whole set if you added them up (which I think is backwards from the way it normally goes on the GTN--you charge more for each piece than would make sense based on the boxed set price because in theory if you only want the one piece you'd be willing to pay top dollar for it, but at the same time if you only need that one piece to complete the set it's still less than buying the whole set at once). So in an excited frenzy I bought them all, for about 115m in total.

Or so I thought. I had had a brain fart, and instead bought two sets of gloves, because the pants weren't actually on the market. The next time I looked a day or so later, there was one...for 200m.

I've been quietly resigning myself to ending up paying about as much for the set as I would have if I'd just bought it boxed in the first place for the past week or so, and then today I saw that someone was selling the pants for 15m.

Total discount from initial set price, 67%; total discount based on today's set price, 44%. That's before you figure in whatever I'll get for selling the extra pair of gloves (which probably won't be much, in fairness).

All in all it was a pretty good Je'daii.

• Options
    Regarding what is "normal" on the GTN, it doesn't seem to follow what you might call expected economic rules... for some sets, the individual pieces cost more, for some sets the whole set costs more. I think the "logic" of it is that people might not necessarily be searching for the whole set when they get on the GTN, they may only need a couple of pieces, so sometimes the individual pieces cost more, since if you just need one piece and you buy the whole set, you're "stuck" with selling those extras which not everyone wants to do.

Anyway, good get!

• Options
    Do we have any guilds up on Star Forge?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    It's probably a combination of time zones and player population, but the French and German servers don't seem to play Starfighter as much. It can't entirely be time zones either, because the UK server is pretty reliable.

I prefer to interpret it as, for some reason France and Germany don't romanticize WW2 dogfighting the way that the US, UK, and Canada do. :razz:

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Do we have any guilds up on Star Forge?

I and a few other folks are on Star Forge, but there aren't any official PA guilds anymore. Most of my alts are in Hellbent, it's a pretty big guild so anything you want to do (raiding, pvp, story mode ops) you'll be able to get into. Plus we get conquest every week.

• Options
    Is that Imp side or Pub side?

Also if anyone wants to do stuff, Regnus is my Imp main and Daac is my pub main

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Is that Imp side or Pub side?

Also if anyone wants to do stuff, Regnus is my Imp main and Daac is my pub main

Hellbent is pubside, but they have an impside guild called Fallen Ones.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Finally played the latest story mission.

Is...did they replace Grey DeLisle as the F!Bounty Hunter voice? I don't think it's that she forgot how to do the voice (as understandably can happen when a role is only sporadically recorded over the course of ten years); it sounds more like someone is managing a decent impression of Grey DeLisle, but there's a certain tone or edge to it that's missing. I remember the character sounding a lot...not deeper, but there was a lot more grit to the voice. She sounded like someone who was usually pretty relaxed--because she had already sized you up and decided she could take you. This just sounds like "very good impression of generic Grey DeLisle voice." (If it is still Grey DeLisle, I'll feel like a bit of an asshole, but only a bit. I know people's voices change as they age--see James Earl Jones's recent Vader work as opposed to his OT work--but if it is her it feels more like she stopped trying. Or, perhaps, from the other direction, doing the voice was somehow hard on her--I don't see how, it's not that many lines and it wasn't like a Gollum voice or something, but I'm not a voice actor--and she decided she wasn't about to shred her vocal cords to do it anymore, which I totally get.)

• Options
    As far as I know, it's still her.

I know I've heard comments that some actors (e.g. some of the Jedi) have gotten better, more expressive or nuanced, etc since the original class stories, while others (like the male smuggler?) have gone in the other direction. Unfortunate if Grey Griffin (DeLisle) is one of the latter.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's just a bad job by the voice director. I remember one chapter where Satele Shan sounded completely different than usual even though it was still Jennifer Hale.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    Sometimes it's just a bad job by the voice director. I remember one chapter where Satele Shan sounded completely different than usual even though it was still Jennifer Hale.

Yeah I remember that, I was searching around to see if she had been replaced.

• Options
    So, in this latest story nudge (I wouldn't call it an "advancement"):

:-1: Unique dialog for those who romanced Akaavi (this is apparently a bug, which is just fucking great when I put my romanced-Akaavi character through that quest before I learned this)

:-1: Unique dialog for those who romanced Theron or Lana

:-1: Unique reactions for Mandalorian Alliance Commanders from Akaavi when discussing, y'know, Mandalore

:-1: Saboteur dialog options

:-1: Bounty hunters remember that they met Akaavi already when getting Mako back (also apparently a bug)

:-1: Game remembers if the Alliance is still independent of the Republic/Empire or part of Task Force Nova/The Hand, and defaults to "independent" (also apparently a bug)

:+1:Unique dialogue option for those who romanced Arcann.

The priorities of these devs I stg

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Who the fuck romances Arcann?

I mean yeah he’s better than Corso I guess

Joolander on
  • Options
    Who the fuck romances Arcann?

I mean yeah he’s better than Corso I guess

I had my trainwreck Smuggler romance him after she ditched Corso who she also romanced. I regretted it almost immediately!

Gone Gone the Scoundrel has got problems, ya'll.

• Options
    I mean I have fifty characters in the endgame, someone's gotta try romancing Kylo Ren But Less Sexy. I had multiple smugglers romancing Akaavi so in KOTFE I had one of them get with Lana after the time skip and stay with her after Akaavi came back. I have someone still romancing Koth.

Koth!

Anyway my ion specialist vanguard, named Sal Voa, is just really into the idea of a bedmate who's got a mechanical arm for some reason.

• Options
    I mean I have fifty characters in the endgame, someone's gotta try romancing Kylo Ren But Less Sexy. I had multiple smugglers romancing Akaavi so in KOTFE I had one of them get with Lana after the time skip and stay with her after Akaavi came back. I have someone still romancing Koth.

Koth!

Anyway my ion specialist vanguard, named Sal Voa, is just really into the idea of a bedmate who's got a mechanical arm for some reason.

Koth is still better than Arcann tho. Like, by a lot.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    At first, GSF wasn't too bad once I got a handle on it because a lot more people were playing, I think. But now, with the season winding down, on the NorthAm servers GSF seems to be mostly dominated by people who team up, use mic chat, have been playing it for 7 years and get their jollies stomping PUGs. Three matches in a row I ended up on the team that had a single-digit score in domination. I know I know the only constant in all your failed relationships but no, the constant in this case was about half the enemy team was the same players, even when I switched alignments. It's legit enraging and Bioware need to figure out a way for shit like that to not happen.

EDIT: AND ALSO it is total BS that it costs cartel coins to turn ship req into fleet req. Absolutely disgusting.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    At first, GSF wasn't too bad once I got a handle on it because a lot more people were playing, I think. But now, with the season winding down, on the NorthAm servers GSF seems to be mostly dominated by people who team up, use mic chat, have been playing it for 7 years and get their jollies stomping PUGs. Three matches in a row I ended up on the team that had a single-digit store in domination. I know I know the only constant in all your failed relationships but no, the constant in this case was about half the enemy team was the same players, even when I switched alignments. It's legit enraging and Bioware need to figure out a way for shit like that to not happen.

Yeah, I'm not even interested in playing GSF outside of the new seasons stuff, it's not worth it. 14 more days and everyone will be playing it again, though.

• Options
    No they won't. The new season doesn't start until the new expansion drops, from what I've seen.

• Options
    No they won't. The new season doesn't start until the new expansion drops, from what I've seen.

? Galactic seasons have a scheduled start and end date that was set in Morrison before the expansion:
    https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9946716
    September 28 is the end date of the current season. If you log into SWTOR and check your galactic seasons window, it tells you how many days are left in the season.

Or wait, are you saying they won't start the next season until the expansion? Woof, that'd be dumb if true, but I guess it's possible.