As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Last day for advance voting here and I just got back. I wanted to go Orange, but that would be an absolute waste since the NDP has almost zero presence in my riding (last election they ran a 20 year university student. No wonder he didn't show up... he was too bust in philosophy 101) so I put my X down beside the Red team. My riding leans Blue but sometimes its very close.
    Hell, my MP started Red and jumped ship. Sigh.

Got home and sent my wife out to do (presumably?) the same. Usually I like to take at least my 9yo with me to vote, but not in Covid times.

I deserve a cookie !

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Last day for advance voting here and I just got back. I wanted to go Orange, but that would be an absolute waste since the NDP has almost zero presence in my riding (last election they ran a 20 year university student. No wonder he didn't show up... he was too bust in philosophy 101) so I put my X down beside the Red team. My riding leans Blue but sometimes its very close.
    Hell, my MP started Red and jumped ship. Sigh.

Got home and sent my wife out to do (presumably?) the same. Usually I like to take at least my 9yo with me to vote, but not in Covid times.

I deserve a cookie !

You might not have the cookie you deserve, but at least you got the pencil you need. Also, your 9yo deserves cookies, since they could not come vote with you. Also, after 2020 and 2021, we all deserve cookies.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I see a few NDP signs around and there was an orange poutine truck the other night about a block away, didn't see if it was NDP branded, but the house it was parked at (in a residential neighbourhood) had an NDP sign. We have one CPC sign on the block and one PPC and one green. Big Liberal sign on the corner, little old lady who lives there always has a big one out front.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Did my civic doodle. Bit of a long walk (the election day voting place is like a quarter the distance), but I was heartened by seeing mostly NDP and some Liberal signs on the way. No PPC or CPC at all.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I know I shouldn’t base it off of lawn signs, but ppc signs totally outnumber all other party signs. What’s odd is that several homes had PPC signs BEFORE the election was announced, only switching to the candidates name. Kinda worried, but it would be funny if my predominately CPC leaning riding goes Red because of the PPC splitting the vote.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Looking around twitter and saw this, the best orange vehicle:

This particular twitter account is more interested in sharing Inuk language and culture than any party in particular IIRC.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    This is the dumbest policy thing I think I’ve ever seen a politician post.

Like, completely misses the point of parental leave.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    ...Also passed a house with one NDP and one PPC sign... not sure if it's a confirmation of horseshoe theory or just some really awkward family dinners.

There's a place I drive by with CPC/LPC/NDP all next to one another. Part of me was wondering if they just say yes to anyone who wants to put a sign up, or if its a dad, mom, daughter/son type of deal.

//

(Also: on "horseshoe theory" I've always disliked the term because it suggests that politics are one dimensional. I blame America. While obviously you can whittle down or explode out as many axis as you want, I think two is really the minimum: Progressive <-> Regressive and Conservative <-> Radical. This also makes the flow from, say, certain Bernie Sanders voters to Trump more natural: his base was a mix of Progressives, Radical-Progressives, and Progressive-Radicals, and the latter felt more affinity for a Regressive-Radical like Trump than a Conservative-Progressive like Clinton. Likewise, one of the reasons that bi-partisanship has ended down south is that the Republican party has shifted from being a Conservative party (an alliance of Progressive-Conservatives, Conservatives, and Regressive-Conservatives) into a more Regressive party. As such, Progressive-Conservatives no longer have a home in the GOP and the Conservative-Progressives in the Democrats have no one to buddy up with. I worry a little that we'll end up in a situation like the early twentieth century, where the Radical-Progressives join up with the Radical-Regressives, and we get things like the FHA-but-whoops-its-racist again.)

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    My riding has usually been split right down the middle between Liberals and Conservatives with NDP barely squeaking out a presence in past election results

I've been noticing more orange signs though recently, and today I made a count of which signs I saw on my way home from work

My count was by no means exhaustive, but I saw 12 NDP, 7 Liberal, and 1 each Con and PPC on the street I counted on

I think I might actually be confident enough to vote federal NDP in my riding for once...

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    There's a house on my street with PC, Liberal, and Green signs. Must be a lively home.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I’m undecided about whether to vote strategically or not this time. The Libs won by around 1600 votes over the NDP last time.

Also, the boundaries of my riding , Burnaby North - Seymour are insane. Burnaby and North Vancouver are not exactly integrated communities.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    I’m undecided about whether to vote strategically or not this time. The Libs won by around 1600 votes over the NDP last time.

Also, the boundaries of my riding , Burnaby North - Seymour are insane. Burnaby and North Vancouver are not exactly integrated communities.

Here's some data if that helps!

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2021/08/30/Does-Strategic-Voting-Actually-Work/

I voted by mail this year and am quite pleased with the decision, now that I've heard from friends who advance voted tonight and waited about an hour to do so

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    If monsef loses by a vote you can all blame me

I'm more curious bout the ndp numbers for here tho, while y'all are busy deriding them they did lose the vote funding federal grant which as far as I know the libs didn't put back

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The CAW can pound sand by the way, I can tell you it ain't got the workers interest at heart they have just been a political grift since the UAW split and if you want proof I present to you the Oshawa assembly plant from 2004-to 2019 to the recently reopened assembly plant for lower wages then I made

I do like what the CAW wqs andnit ksndighting for survival but even since 08 it ain't been good

Remember when I said that would happen

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    the JWR thing would have happened regardless of gender.
    Corvus wrote: »
    This is the dumbest policy thing I think I’ve ever seen a politician post.

Like, completely misses the point of parental leave.

What the actual Fuck.
    Who, after just having a kid, wants to stay "connected to the workforce"
    Fuck these capitalism at all cost chucklefucks.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    “We don’t think you earn enough on mat leave so instead of fixing that with our policy we’ll give you a shitty workaround that goes against the whole point of mat leave” is how I read that… which is pretty unhelpful, I think,

It seems like he’s trying to say the right thing without really understanding what the right thing is…

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Someone suggest to O'Toole to increase parental leave payments by $1000/month, as I would like to hear the immediate and rambling objection.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I do like what the CAW wqs andnit ksndighting for survival but even since 08 it ain't been good
    Remember when I said that would happen

Uh… maybe?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Meanwhile, in Nova Scotia:
    Elections Canada officials are asking the public to treat their workers with respect after police were recently called to two voting locations in the riding of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour to deal with disgruntled voters who had been threatening workers.

"We are seeing issues from electors who are very disheartened because their candidate is not on the ballot," said Francoise Enguehard, a media adviser with Elections Canada.

That candidate was Troy Myers. He was on the ballot running for the Conservative Party until two weeks ago, but stepped away from the race following an allegation from a woman who says he sexually assaulted her in 2019.

I wish that I could say that I was shocked.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I went to the advance polls yesterday because the weather was nice, with no guarantee it would be in a week. The only thing worth noting was that as I was signing my name and number at the front (for COVID reasons), a white cat jumped on the table, curious what I was doing with the pen. So that was a neat thing.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Elections Canada officials are asking the public to treat their workers with respect after police were recently called to two voting locations in the riding of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour to deal with disgruntled voters who had been threatening workers.

"We are seeing issues from electors who are very disheartened because their candidate is not on the ballot," said Francoise Enguehard, a media adviser with Elections Canada.

That candidate was Troy Myers. He was on the ballot running for the Conservative Party until two weeks ago, but stepped away from the race following an allegation from a woman who says he sexually assaulted her in 2019.

I can definitely understand being upset if you have been paying no attention to the race like many people probably are.

Obviously that doesn't excuse getting threatening people.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I can definitely understand being upset if you have been paying no attention to the race like many people probably are.

I don't understand these people. Even if you just found out your preferred sexual assaulter is not on the ballot and you're distraught at the lack of pro-sexual-assault candidates on the ballot, how is threatening an Elections Canada poll worker going to help? Do they actually think the old lady giving them a pen is responsible for who gets on the ballot and can bring Myers back?

sig.gif
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

I don't understand these people. Even if you just found out your preferred sexual assaulter is not on the ballot and you're distraught at the lack of pro-sexual-assault candidates on the ballot, how is threatening an Elections Canada poll worker going to help? Do they actually think the old lady giving them a pen is responsible for who gets on the ballot and can bring Myers back?

They probably don't know anything dude. Like literally nothing. They don't know who the local candidate for their party is or what's going on with him. They just show up on election day to vote for their party and then go home to ignore politics or complain about Trudeau. They don't know that he's gone or what happened, they just know their party is not on the ballot like it should be.

So they walk in to vote, they get the ballot and there's no conservative candidate there to vote for. That's what they know. That's immediately a "Wait, wtf is going on?" situation. I would bet at least some chunk of these people are going to assume something fucked up is going on. And some are going to immediately jump to someone is trying to rig the election or something.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    With only 6 days to go we are running out of time for the big scandal to drop and have an impact in the news cycles. By Friday it's too late to cause a really big swing.

My guess will be a picture of Justin at 16 skinning a beaver while visiting a "Village d'Antan".

• Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    With only 6 days to go we are running out of time for the big scandal to drop and have an impact in the news cycles. By Friday it's too late to cause a really big swing.

My guess will be a picture of Justin at 16 skinning a beaver while visiting a "Village d'Antan".

How would that be a scandal ? The only thing more Canadian would be to use the skin as a bowl for poutine, while somehow playing Hockey, Curling and Lacrosse simultaneously.
    Nothing like a game of Ice Beaver Cross while eating poutine.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular

Skinning of beavers is how this country got started lol.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Skinning of beavers is how this country got started lol.

I know but somehow they would call appropriation and outrage pieces would be written just to have negative news headlines the eve of the election. Doesn't matter what the news is, people don't read, it just needs to sound negative.

• Options
    Does anyone know how many people already voted? I don't believe election Canada published numbers yet?

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many people already voted? I don't believe election Canada published numbers yet?

The only numbers I saw so far were for Friday. Seems that day was up from 2019, which is a positive sign.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-trudeau-attacks-unwanted-election-1.6175091

"Do not elect me on my own merits, elect me to punish the other party."

That's how we decide who runs the country?

• Options
    edited September 2021

Well the black face didn't sink em and he's still the leader so I doubt it

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    There's a place I drive by with CPC/LPC/NDP all next to one another. Part of me was wondering if they just say yes to anyone who wants to put a sign up, or if its a dad, mom, daughter/son type of deal.

I've seen that a couple of times, usually as a way for the homeowner to say "I don't care who you vote for as long as you ditch your apathy long enough to cast a ballot at all."

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/otoole-trudeau-attacks-unwanted-election-1.6175091

"Do not elect me on my own merits, elect me to punish the other party."

That's how we decide who runs the country?

well when you don't have merits, that's the play you got

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    To answer my own question: 6 millions early voters, with another million expected to vote by mail.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mail-in-voting-deadline-1.6173854

I was hoping for more, honestly. A pandemic is not a great time for long lines. It also means that the election is nowhere close to being decided.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So a zoom meeting between Hinshaw and PCN physicians ended up on facebook.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-covid-alberta-fourth-wave-1.6175012

"I feel very responsible for the narrative that has made it more complicated to try to put additional public health measures in place, because whether or not it was my intention, what was heard at the end of July was, 'COVID's over. We can walk away and ignore it,'" Hinshaw said.

"That has had repercussions … and I deeply regret how that has played out."

She also said vaccine passports have an impact and kids should be masking in school.

Of course the province responded by.. throwing her under the bus.

""[Hinshaw] gave her colleagues the same assessment that she gave the media and the public at a news conference last week: her advice that we transition from pandemic to endemic was premature, including the decision to drop all broad restrictions," Buick told CBC News via email.

"That decision was based in part on the evidence from the U.K., but the virus has impacted Alberta differently than we expected at the time. That news conference was widely reported.""

Not that I have much sympathy for her, from the very get go she was going to be the scapegoat and she played along instead of blowing the whistle.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in election news....

Anyone?

Maxime Bernier announced he will have his election night party in Saskatoon instead of his home riding of Beauce, because they have looser (no?) covid restrictions. I don't know if I should admire his optimism or laugh at him for thinking he'll have anything to celebrate on election night.

And that's about all that happened this week.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Props to Kenney and Alberta for reminding the country how well conservative governments have approached this pandemic, 4 days out from the election.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I know the CPC is hitting hard on the unnecessary election during a pandemic angle now, claiming it’s costing $600million.

The only way an election costing $20 / citizen makes sense is if they include all the spending by the parties as well as the government in their numbers.

They are also hammering about inflation because apparently either they don’t understand how a modern economy works, or they are manipulating voters emotions while reinforcing a bad understanding of the economy, or both I guess.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Props to Kenney and Alberta for reminding the country how well conservative governments have approached this pandemic, 4 days out from the election.

Don't worry, I see the same MSM that reported on the Ontario Catholic Schoolboard book-burning by putting a random unrelated picture of Trudeau in the middle of the article are also bending over backwards to report this event without using the word "Conservative" in any way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I'm getting married in November. These new restrictions literally don't change anything for us as we planned originally for under 50 x people and social distancing in a big space.

Though now I have a system in place to weed out the unvaccinated who may have slipped in. No free booze or taco's for you

PSN: Canadian_llama
This discussion has been closed.