As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Lies of P] Pinnochio in your Bloodborne Out Now!

AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriumsPlateau of LengRegistered User regular
edited September 2023 in Games and Technology
I have been keeping an eye on this game since its original announcement and now they have actual gameplay footage, which confirmed to me what I needed to know: Literally this game is Bloodborne where you play as Pinnochio. It seems that Gepetto has come to this place searching for something and left Pinnochio at a train station, where he wakes up and tries to find "father".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLosJxHQiQc

The game looks very Bloodborne. Almost to the point where if you had told me this was a sequel to it I wouldn't have been surprised. The combat looks very fluid and the arm attachments remind me of Sekiro, with the ability to have different abilities on it including a very handy looking hook shot. Overall I'm now really interested, to the point I'm making a thread about it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
Aegeri on

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Based on that aesthetic I'm predicting that any wish to become a Real Boy will involve ripping bits off plague victims

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Mickey Mouse should be public domain.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Well this looks fucking crazy. Even if the story is dumb as a rock, it's bound to at least look great. Hope it plays well too!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I suddenly do want a brutal gothic Mickey Mouse.

It is a shame they cannot do a creepy version of “I have no strings” for this.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I wonder if someone’s love of the Plain Doll was extrapolated into this entire game.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    This is the hypest I've been for a game I just found out existed in a long time. I really hope this lives up to the premise. If it's half as cool as it looks it'll be amazing.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I suddenly do want a brutal gothic Mickey Mouse.

It is a shame they cannot do a creepy version of “I have no strings” for this.

Epic Mickey, but Epic?

• Options
    That poor game. That concept art was so amazing compared with what we actually got :(
    This is the hypest I've been for a game I just found out existed in a long time. I really hope this lives up to the premise. If it's half as cool as it looks it'll be amazing.

I was immediately invested since the original trailer of this game, but I didn't want to post anything until I saw some gameplay and could see that it wasn't just terrible looking.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Holy shit this looks amazing

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    A new trailer for Gamescon came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eghRcO16Zig

So there are NPCs in this and a bunch of weirdos, who remind me of the animalistic circus folk from the original book carrying coffins, weird old ladies with skin conditions and so much more Bloodborne like imagery you would be mistaken for thinking this was Bloodborne 2.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Just so we're clear

We're getting a Bloodborne'd up Pinnochio game, and then a Nioh'd up Sekiro set in China from Bloodborne and Nioh people

Oh god I'm going to explode

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A new trailer for Gamescon came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eghRcO16Zig

So there are NPCs in this and a bunch of weirdos, who remind me of the animalistic circus folk from the original book carrying coffins, weird old ladies with skin conditions and so much more Bloodborne like imagery you would be mistaken for thinking this was Bloodborne 2.

A blue-ish skin condition! The Blue Fairy?

Actually, she's probably the final boss and an eldritch abomination or some shit.

Anyway, I'm into it. American McGee's Pinnochio, sure.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Just so we're clear

We're getting a Bloodborne'd up Pinnochio game, and then a Nioh'd up Sekiro set in China from Bloodborne and Nioh people

Oh god I'm going to explode

There's also steampunk robots in the french revolution bloodborne, can't forget that one.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKP18vFW83A

Actual gameplay!

Edit: Classic games journalist quality gameplay too.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yep, this is a bloodborne ass bloodborne clone and I am here for it.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah I guess I expected to see souls bent in a dark Pinnochio direction. Instead this just looks like the exact same game with a dark Pinnochio skin. They could have at least shown a little more originality in the UI.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne with the serial number filed off looks great.

I wonder if the story will be any more coherent than your usual From Software jam.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Yeah I guess I expected to see souls bent in a dark Pinnochio direction. Instead this just looks like the exact same game with a dark Pinnochio skin. They could have at least shown a little more originality in the UI.

TBH it's a combination of Bloodborne and Sekiro in some ways, which is something I am entirely for in every way.

Also people being thirsty for Pinnochio's design in this game....

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I would just say you should probably temper your expectations with this game, and definitely wait for reviews before buying it.

Neowiz (and by extension their studio) Round8 are incredibly seedy. Though, it's entirely possible that Lies of P is where they were funneling all the money were getting from Bless Unleashed into. Hopefully as a single player game they can't possibly release another incomplete product, poor support and then subsequently abandon it. But yeah, I thought the dudes that came around to warn us about Neowiz with Bless Unleashed were just jaded ex-Bless Online people until they did the exact same thing they were warning people about.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I'm 100% convinced he's modelled partially off Timothee Chalamet,

This could explain why certain parts of twitter are so thirsty for him.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    The games release date is September and there is now a demo out on your particular choice of platform to have a look at!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYr1x25Z1Ak

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Played like 20m of the demo, and that's enough for me. I am in. Lots of polished gameplay and combat, feels very VERY bloodborne. I am most curious on how the story will go.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Calling it now - Protagonist revealed as an unreliable narrator towards the end of the game, as you look into a reflective surface for the first time and discover your nose is miles long.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I'm impressed, it feels real polished. First boss took a few attempts until I suddenly was able to perfect guard every attack and demolished it like a Sekiro mook, which is a good sign.

• Options
    This feels kinda slow coming off Elden Ring, healing takes like a second longer than it should. Weapon durability is also kinda eh, don't really like that kind of forced downtime in fights. There's some other nits to pick, but honestly it's a pretty good showing. Looks nice too.

• Options
    I thought the healing was basically roughly the same speed as Bloodborne's vials. It's pretty easy to get timing windows for the healing with how quick it is and it's faster than most souls equivalents. The main thing I found was when you have a longer fight and trying to get enough time in to grind your weapon durability back up.

I am surprised at how non-janky the game feels. I expected it to be really rough, but it plays surprisingly well now I've given it a couple of goes. I'm really impressed and can't wait to get some more equipment, like the grappling hook, to see how that really opens up combat further. Also they did the thing where you put the bloodstain OUTSIDE OF THE BOSS ROOM. Dear Gods what a small but happy change.

• Options
    Looking forwards to this. Haven't ever really done a Souls-game before, just some games with souls-like elements (Remnant etc.) I loved the look and lore of Bloodborne, but well... exclusive.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    I'm impressed, it feels real polished. First boss took a few attempts until I suddenly was able to perfect guard every attack and demolished it like a Sekiro mook, which is a good sign.

Ok. So you have to block every attack? I was stuck on it.

• Options
    Nah, you can dodge stuff, as long as you don't get stuck on their body like I did, then you're fucked. The end boss is a goddamn slog though. Once you get to phase 2 your attack window is tiny because of all the lightning to dodge. It would also be nice to know how close enemies are to stagger. As is you just wail on them and hope the blinking starts eventually. Or apparently skip the blinking and just knock them down with a big enough attack.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I played the demo for a few minutes last night and it is very pretty

Haven't died yet, but I'm only just past the first big lad

The backstab seems a bit finicky, but I guess that's the payoff for the extra damage

My main concern is that I keep on thinking that it's called Life of Pi, despite the lack of shipwrecked tigers (so far, anyway)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It felt like powering through molasses with the big sword, was not really impressed with this.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I played the demo for a few minutes last night and it is very pretty

Haven't died yet, but I'm only just past the first big lad

The backstab seems a bit finicky, but I guess that's the payoff for the extra damage

My main concern is that I keep on thinking that it's called Life of Pi, despite the lack of shipwrecked tigers (so far, anyway)

Don't worry, the studio probably won't go immediately bankrupt, despite winning a bunch of awards

• Options
    I'm told the demo will be taken down tomorrow, I guess to turn the screws on the anticipation for the release later this month. So, have at it now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    I am excited for this game, I just wish it wasn't in this month where I have both Starfield AND Baldurs Gate 3 to play.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    It's also dropping on Gamepass on release

• Options
  • Options
    80-85% on Opencritic which is kind of where I expected it.

Mondaaaaaaaaaaaaaay <3

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Maybe they've done some rebalancing since the demo, or maybe I'm just bad at the game compared to the reviewer, but I had a lot of difficult sections outside of the boss fights in the demo. Definitely looking forward to the full release!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I am excited for this game, I just wish it wasn't in this month where I have both Starfield AND Baldurs Gate 3 to play.

I’d just skip Starfield.