As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here are some cool [Wrestling] moves.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I feel like I've seen like three Matt Taven matches and yet I can't remember anything from them and yet I feel like I've also seen every Matt Taven match.

The one at the RoH/NJPW Garden show was an hour and felt like three so if thats one you watcjed thats probably why.

You know occasionally you hear about how like...students at MIT were able to slow light by refracting it through a bottle or something...

and I think that's what happens but with every Matt Taven match.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I keep intending to catch back up on BTE but the Good Brothers were the biggest problem

Gonna have to get back to that

The true horror is that whenever their TNA contracts are fully up their AEW friends will give them jobs and prominent positions.

I mean, they were given offers before and turned them down and wound up where they are, if I recall correctly

Not sure if they'd give them another offer after that

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Nobody enjoys hearing about how recently Karl Andersen came? Philistines all of you.

Nah, I've tried watching it here and there but I just was so tired of the elite and their shtick and it was really 90% of the episode. Maybe now that they're all on the downturn I'll try again.

I mostly enjoy it as a thing to watch while working out

Also having, you know, watched a fair amount during their New Japan days, got a little more sunk cost to it

I fell behind several months back but want to catch up to see how the Dark Order is doing, of course

There is some Dark Order content on BTE nowadays but not anywhere near the extent it was. Reynolds and Silver have some bits with Adam Cole, but for the most part their full group bits are just gone.

I think the Young Bucks made the right move to start returning the focus of BTE to themselves. There are...6(?) backstage vlogs now (BTE, Sammy's, Allie's, Ethan's, Thunder Rosa's, Evil Uno's), if you want to follow a particular one, or all of them.

The downside is I don't think we have group Dark Order bits in any of them now, which is a real fuckin' shame.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    this is your periodical reminder that Cesaro's finisher is called the Neutralizer because he's Swiss and Switzerland is neutral

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I keep intending to catch back up on BTE but the Good Brothers were the biggest problem

Gonna have to get back to that

The true horror is that whenever their TNA contracts are fully up their AEW friends will give them jobs and prominent positions.

I mean, they were given offers before and turned them down and wound up where they are, if I recall correctly

Not sure if they'd give them another offer after that

The idea was they wanted to be able to work NJPW again (specifically in Japan), which TNA allowed for but AEW did not. The pandemic ruined their attempts at a return, but I imagine if the situation changed they would sign up with AEW in a heartbeat considering how much AEW used them.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Catching up on New Japan and one thing I've noticed about the entire Strong brand is that production quality shifts wildly from taping to taping. Sometimes the arena looks great, sometimes it's looks like FCW. The white balance changes with every camera shot. Some crowds are big and loud and sometimes there's like 30 people in the audience. Occasionally they have audio mixing issues. It's like when the Pokemon games would show evolution by flickering between two sprites but it's New Japan proper and 2013 ROH.

I think watching ECW in my adolescence has warped my perception of these things because I actually like and prefer it to WWE's over-polished presentation where every single second of RAW looks the same. Obviously given the choice I'd like something done competently like AEW, New Japan proper or Freelance Wrestling. But if the choice is cookie cutter entrances and LED ring aprons or dank and janky I'm going to smoke that dank jank every time.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I've watched so many poorly filmed matches on handcams and detiorated VHS copies ripped to youtube bad quality doesn't bother me much anymore.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    The only two production things that really put me off of a show are camera work that's so bad it's impossible to follow the action and terrible audio quality, like when the audio doesn't sync with the video.

But yeah, I'll take a dimly lit warehouse with a crowd of 100 over a brightly lit arena pretty much any day, both on screen and in person.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I definitely agree that WWE production is too good, to the point of everything feeling manufactured and sterile.

It’s why I don’t mind how AEW has production screw-ups sometimes, it just makes it feel more alive and real.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    man, Mark Henry is doing some Dark matches and I can't remember what he was originally signed to commentate but its a shame he got shuffled back on Rampage because he's really good and he works well with Taz. Put Jericho and Starks in the garbage can. Give me some Henry.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    He's still got a lot left in the tank.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I like him on commentary, he's laid back and sort of subtle with his humor. I find the Jericho and Starks combo to be exhausting. It's too much energy and takes away from the matches.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    But yeah, I'll take a dimly lit warehouse with a crowd of 100 over a brightly lit arena pretty much any day, both on screen and in person.
    I was actually discussing this very topic with a friend while watching NXT last night and we wondered if the normal, casual person actually gets turned off by that. It also spiraled into a greater discussion about the fans / viewers / numbers.

Like, NXT looks like it's in a small, overproduced, high school gym with a few fans. It kind of kills the THIS FEELS IMPORTANT and adds to me not giving a shit. I mean, I think NXT 2.0 is bad, anyways, but it just greatly contributes to it.

We also used to go to a lot of local shows (and were probably in the same room as you multiple times now that I think about it) at Chikara, RoH, CZW, GCW, etc. Yay for East Coast living near Philly (Delaware, woo!). One of the things that we laughed about was that we'd go to Philly for Chikara, Baltimore or Philly or New York for RoH, New Jersey for CZW (fuck going to the farm in Delaware for Tournament of Death, I live here but na), and even a SUPER local indy called Right Coast Pro which was where I saw the guy who tag teams with the rapper in AEW for the first time, etc., and we'd see the same people in the audience from Maryland to New York. They'd travel!

....but we're still talking only a few hundred people. There were differences, obviously, and the ones we recognize just stood out more probably, but we saw so many of the same people at a lot of the shows that we seriously wondered at how small the actual fanbases were.

Then we started talking about ratings and TV. Wrestling, in its prime, used to pull sixes and sevens on two competing shows at the same time. Now, WWE can get like a 2.0, maybe, and AEW is struggling again to break a million on Dynamite (and failing) and Rampage is stuck around 500k.

The ratings are fucking terrible all-round.

TV is in a different spot, now, and a 2.0 rating (or even a 1.0) can be considered good nowadays for TV but....it definitely is not penetrating pop culture at a sub 1 and is firmly in the who gives a shit category. It's good enough to keep on the air and paid for, but....it's just kind of there, y'know?

In the media scrum after the PPV, CM Punk was talking about how he didn't think there are casual wrestling fans anymore and it's just die hards, even for AEW. I think he's right and think that's a very very bad thing, long term.

And just to go back to your original comment -
    My favorite events have been smaller ones, first row, etc (although somehow we got first row to MSG New Japan / ROH show and that was amazing), so I agree for at least part of your statement. In person? Small shows are great.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I know Bron is Rick's kid, but damn if he doesn't look almost exactly like Scott from their first WCW run when they feuded with the Freebirds, just with a goatee.

And fuck, am I old.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    This feels like the correct response.

(Kevin Owens blocks Austin Theory on Twitter.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Like, NXT looks like it's in a small, overproduced, high school gym with a few fans. It kind of kills the THIS FEELS IMPORTANT and adds to me not giving a shit. I mean, I think NXT 2.0 is bad, anyways, but it just greatly contributes to it.

So I only watched the episode of NXT 2.0 with Tony D'Angelo's debut (because how could I not!) and it's definitely a stark change from what NXT had been since 2013 or so. I think one of the under-rated things about Full Sail, at least on-camera, is how they always worked to hide the fact that it was a smaller venue. That definitely added to the perception of it.
    We also used to go to a lot of local shows (and were probably in the same room as you multiple times now that I think about it) at Chikara, RoH, CZW, GCW, etc. Yay for East Coast living near Philly (Delaware, woo!). One of the things that we laughed about was that we'd go to Philly for Chikara, Baltimore or Philly or New York for RoH, New Jersey for CZW (fuck going to the farm in Delaware for Tournament of Death, I live here but na), and even a SUPER local indy called Right Coast Pro which was where I saw the guy who tag teams with the rapper in AEW for the first time, etc., and we'd see the same people in the audience from Maryland to New York. They'd travel!

....but we're still talking only a few hundred people. There were differences, obviously, and the ones we recognize just stood out more probably, but we saw so many of the same people at a lot of the shows that we seriously wondered at how small the actual fanbases were.

Oh god, yeah the fanbase in this region is deceptively small. There's a perception that it's way bigger than it is because there are so many companies that run the New York City > New Jersey > Philly > Baltimore stretch, but it's really a dozen-ish companies all competing in the same small market. The trick is that much of the fanbase is loyal (like you said, you see the same faces at so many events) and willing to travel. It does seem like the indie fanbase has grown somewhat recently, especially due to GCW putting AEW names on their Showboat cards. But then you wonder how many of those fans are going to stick around when Matt Cardona or Jon Moxley or whoever aren't wrestling.
    although somehow we got first row to MSG New Japan / ROH show and that was amazing

You had a front-row view for Madison Square Taven?!

• Options
    edited November 2021
    You had a front-row view for Madison Square Taven?!
    Fuck yes we did.

Jay White tried to kill me by tossing Okada into us, but luckily I saw it coming and moved my wheelchair out of the way before Okada landed.

Jay and I locked eyes and I saw him hesitate / think about it, but I knew he'd go through with it instead of choosing a different corner.

As for Taven....given the storylines in RoH and how long they'd been building up to it, I say with no sarcasm having Taven win was the correct outcome.
    It does seem like the indie fanbase has grown somewhat recently, especially due to GCW putting AEW names on their Showboat cards. But then you wonder how many of those fans are going to stick around when Matt Cardona or Jon Moxley or whoever aren't wrestling.
    How is it at Showboat, anyways? I was considering going to the next one there.

Bizazedo on
  • Options

I dig it. A bit of the charm has been lost now that they installed that arcade and it doesn't feel quite as much like an abandoned hotel, but it's still shitty enough to make for a great aesthetic.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

I dig it. A bit of the charm has been lost now that they installed that arcade and it doesn't feel quite as much like an abandoned hotel, but it's still shitty enough to make for a great aesthetic.

Not sure I would stay there, but I could see it being fun to go to a show...Hard Rock and Ocean have cleaner/Nicer Hotel rooms.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    So G4 (the channel) premiered yesterday, Austin Creed is one of the hosts. He posted a cry for help a nice message on Twitter about it.
    I’ve never in my life have been in a work environment where literally everyone from top to bottom has nothing but good intentions and wants everyone around them to succeed. @g4tv is incredible and I cannot express how happy it makes me to be a part of this story. Thank you 😊

• Options
    edited November 2021
    The next GCW show at the Showboat is New Years Eve. Yeah I can't justify that. At least that's what the Showboat page says.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    It's not just the production of WWE being too slick, although probably related, its that every arena and show they run is setup the exact same way. I don't think US venues really have the alternative layouts that other countries have, but it doesn't help that their stage is the same no matter where they're at. AEW does seem to alternate between a normal ramp or an elevated ramp and the Daley's Place shows looked cool because US shows aren't run in venues with weird layouts. NJPW has such a drastic change between their venues that you really notice that the shows are in different places.

The H2O show in the baseball stadium was cool because you could really see it was a baseball stadium and it's just different than most shows.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    It's not just the production of WWE being too slick, although probably related, its that every arena and show they run is setup the exact same way. I don't think US venues really have the alternative layouts that other countries have, but it doesn't help that their stage is the same no matter where they're at. AEW does seem to alternate between a normal ramp or an elevated ramp and the Daley's Place shows looked cool because US shows aren't run in venues with weird layouts. NJPW has such a drastic change between their venues that you really notice that the shows are in different places.

The H2O show in the baseball stadium was cool because you could really see it was a baseball stadium and it's just different than most shows.

Yeah, NJPW really evokes how special each venue is, whereas with WWE or even AEW they'll be like, "We're live in Madison Square Garden!" and I'm like, "Sure you are."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yeah, NJPW really evokes how special each venue is, whereas with WWE or even AEW they'll be like, "We're live in Madison Square Garden!" and I'm like, "Sure you are."

Yeah, the need to brand and make everything "presentable" for tv is a big part of this with both WWE and AEW. WWE just takes it the extra mile of making every arena look even more homogeneous. From a business perspective I totally get it, though I hate it aesthetically.

It's almost the opposite of what you sometimes see on shows from Japan. At times there's so little branding on camera that if you're unfamiliar with the wrestlers in the ring you may have no idea what company you're watching. Especially when it's a venue that everyone runs, like Korakuen Hall.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Anyway, who wants to see Chris Brookes get run over with a truck tire?!

MAO vs Chris Brookes from one of this past weekend's DDT shows.

A peak bullshit match as expected from these two. I'd say that they're saying "fuck it" because they've both been eliminated from the B Block at this point, but let's be honest. If they actually had something to fight for it'd be even more bonkers.

https://youtu.be/P4zK0Qn1Gfc

In the brilliant words of MAO - "FUCKED UP WRESTLING FOR A FUCKED UP WORLD!"

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Gross, is buying a Tesla the start of his heel turn?

• Options

He's doing it for the environment.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    My training from WWE teaches me that anyone who cares about the environment is most certainly a heel (although, you know, buying a new car doesn't benefit the environment, even if it's electric.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

He's doing it for the environment.

Fuck Elon Musk, buy a Nissan Leaf or something.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    We really got a "Cleaner I got this" from Cole, amazing.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Daniel chose violence

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Fuck, there was a sign that said "book >1 women's match on tv". Couldn't be anymore right.

hello kitty island > wow sign lol

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Damn Butcher looking good

• Options
    Fuck that was a fun match.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    That's really the only way the first MJF/Punk promo could go.

• Options
    Well this was a really rock solid dynamite, weird that it ended 20 minutes early though. Guess they just misplanned their time?

• Options
    They really just had a legit piss break mid match

This discussion has been closed.