As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Bleh, a bunch of my Ts are approaching that "Too big for repurposed enclosures, too small for adult enclosures" where everything is always a few inches off in one dimensions or another of what you want.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My P. regalis molted today. Found it sitting in a web hammock next to its exuvium. Thought to myself "Cool, that's the first of my slings that's big enough I might be able to sex it if I get the molt out intact." As if on cue the spider turns around, scrunches the molt up into a ball and starts chomping on it. Thanks, buddy.

• Options
    Apparently only the CRZ likes hornworms. Granted, that pulcher and pentaloris may be a wee bit small, but the AA and genic are more than large enough. But the genic spent the whole day yesterday on top of some bark after I put the worm in, and the AA actually say outside of their web tunnel, so they clearly aren't fans

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's fair. Those things smell like a chemical factory, I don't think I'd like to liquify and devour them either.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yay we're back! I cant feel better and not have to worry about triggering panic attacks in people.

My freshly molted genic

sRO0F3Y.jpg

Hide all he wants, I'm still gettin pictures of my pentaloris

BZoelTM.jpg

And a beautiful GBB at the shop. They're coming along nicely. This one is a big Obi fan. Never leaves the high ground.

s7WCPDq.jpg

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Reposting the Fat Booty Photo Shooty that I put in the holiday forum bug thread.

Brachypelma emilia

ze48hb58dd2z.jpg

Brachypelma hamorii

95um6o2ybrja.jpg

Lasiodora subcanens

rqtvz9ayz7gn.jpg

Pterinochilus murinus

7i1nl4b1pozs.jpg

Neoholothele incei, I love the colours on this guy

ckt46bjyduuc.jpg

lnevia2o5zv0.jpg

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, not fat because it molted on Christmas. And now has 7 legs again because for some reason it lost the same one it had just finished growing back.

wt37pf4q9v45.jpg

• Options
    Oh also I got the molt out from my P. regalis and it turned out to be in good condition so I mounted it, as it's the first one big enough to be worth doing. And now every time I walk past that bit of wall I do a double take thinking one of my spiders has escaped.

• Options
    Good lord that B. emilia has got some junk in the trunk.

Mine continues their isolation, going on must be six months now. They're alive, just a total hermit. At this point, I can relate.

• Options
    Yeah they're all going on a diet until they've slimmed down a bit. Trouble is the crickets I bought ages ago have taken so long to get through that they've all grown and now every time I feed the spids they get a feast. I'm gonna switch back to feeding pre-killed prey for a while I think, so I can portion them out better.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so why are tarantulas the favored pet spider, size? convenient container and prey requirements?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I know of people who keep true spiders, but generally they start off with tarantulas. I think size is probably the main reason? They're big and stocky so easy to see and impressive to look at. True spiders are more of a niche thing I guess

Also lifespan. I don't think many true spiders live more than a few years max. Some tarantulas will live 30.

Some people keep giant orb weavers in open enclosures by just hanging a hoop from their ceiling which the slider makes a web across. I like the idea but I'm not sure the other people in my house would appreciate me just filling the place with loose spiders.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't generally think inviting wild animals to come into your home without consulting others you live with is a very good idea.

• Options
    Tarantulas aren't true spiders?!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ts get large and have a wide variety of colors and patterns that are easy to see thanks to their size. They also aren't an actual danger short of some real specific circumstances, and can be handled (Somewhat). Both are generally positives compared to true spiders.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Tarantulas belong to the order Araneae, i.e., spiders. They're definitely true spiders.

Hell, the first sentence on wikipedia is "Tarantulas comprise a group of large and often hairy spiders of the family Theraphosidae." (emphasis mine)

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Tarantulas aren't true spiders?!

By definition no. As I understand it 'true spiders' are spiders of the suborder araneomorphae, while things like tarantulas and funnel web spiders are suborder mygalomorphae. Why one is considered 'true' and the other not, I don't know. It's just a terminology thing I think. In the hobby it's just used to distinguish between Ts and everything else.

Main differences I know of are number of book lungs (2 in true spiders, 4 in tarantulas), and angle of the fangs (pointing towards each other in true spiders and downwards in tarantulas).
    Tarantulas belong to the order Araneae, i.e., spiders. They're definitely true spiders.

Hell, the first sentence on wikipedia is "Tarantulas comprise a group of large and often hairy spiders of the family Theraphosidae." (emphasis mine)

Truly being a spider =/= being a true spider

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    It comes up with classification for a lot of other animals as well. You'll have something like hawks (family accipitridae), which are a much larger and diverse collection of species than most people realize, and then there'll be some specific subset that are dubbed the 'true hawks' (subfamily accipitrinae). This doesn't mean other hawks (subfamily buteoninae) aren't hawks in the colloquial sense, though.

Side-note, probably the most well-known North American hawk, the red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis), is a buteonine species.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I've hear the term "primitive" or "basal" be used on tarantulas, but never "not true spider". Again, spiders are all of Araneae.

But, looking further into it, the order of spiders are divided into two suborders: Mesothelae and Opisthothelae.

Mesothelae is a sister group to all other spiders, retain several ancestral features, and only have one non-extinct family.

Opisthothelae is divided into to infraorders, Mygalomorphae and Araneomorpha. The first contains tarantulas, Australian funnel web spiders, and certain trap door spiders. Araneomorpha contains most of spider-kind.

You could say "true" spiders are only Araneomorpha, although I feel that is not particularly scientific.

[Expletive deleted] on
  • Options
    It's not scientific. Like I said it's terminology used in the tarantula keeping hobby. Hence me, a tarantula keeper, using it.

• Options
    Them's fighting words :P

But still, you're off one level. Mygalomorphae and Araneomorpha are infraorders, not suborders, belong to the same suborder (Opisthothelae), and there are for-reals spiders who are neither Mygalomorphae or Araneomorpha (Mesothelae, although they only live in the Far East).

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seems to me that it's the same thing that happened in astronomy: as scientists discovered more things and wanted to correctly categorize them all eventually Pluto got demoted to a dwarf planet because it just didn't fit in with all the new classifications that had to be created to explain all the new discoveries.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

But still, you're off one level. Mygalomorphae and Araneomorpha are infraorders, not suborders, belong to the same suborder (Opisthothelae), and there are for-reals spiders who are neither Mygalomorphae or Araneomorpha (Mesothelae, although they only live in the Far East).

Okay? I looked at Wikipedia for like 3 seconds to answer Bahamut's question. I'm pretty confused why you're so insistent on arguing with me about this.

• Options
    Yeah it is a term I've only heard from hobbyists.
    Seems to me that it's the same thing that happened in astronomy: as scientists discovered more things and wanted to correctly categorize them all eventually Pluto got demoted to a dwarf planet because it just didn't fit in with all the new classifications that had to be created to explain all the new discoveries.

Oh man classification in spodes is a mess. Which isn't surprising when you consider a lot of species (NW mostly), have been described for only a century or less. Hell, the genus Tliltocatl was created in 2020. Add to that widespread research of various tarantulas is almost nonexistent and it isn't too hard to see how things are messy with where the lines actually are.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    ok so we've solved the mystery, "true spiders" is not a taxonomic term! Thanks for the explanation Smof.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Okay? I looked at Wikipedia for like 3 seconds to answer Bahamut's question. I'm pretty confused why you're so insistent on arguing with me about this.

Wasn't trying to argue, merely clear up the terminology. I can be a bit of a stickler for terms used incorrectly.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Wasn't trying to argue, merely clear up the terminology. I can be a bit of a stickler for terms used incorrectly.

I bet you're fun at parties when people talk about tomatoes being vegetables.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I bet you're fun at parties when people talk about tomatoes being vegetables.

You should see my fruit salad

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Perhaps we could get a Herpetologist to explain

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Actually never mind.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Gave my slingcubator an upgrade

11qudtyubp20.jpg

Wanted a lockable cabinet to keep my Ts in, as I'm a bit paranoid about my nephews getting to them if they ever get curious. Parents got me this one for Christmas. Transferred the insulation from the old incubator tank and added some lighting (I've put lights on all the shelves but only have the middle ones switched on right now), using full spectrum lights so when the Ts are bigger and I want to do nice looking tanks I can have live plants. Also, after all the effort of feeding the heat mat cables through the back of the cabinet, the heat mats aren't even in use any more because the small bit of heat the lights put out is enough to keep the inside at the perfect temperature, which is lucky.

Obviously will look nicer when I take all the insulation out in a couple of months, and when the tanks are more impressive, but I'm really happy with it. Best thing is having the space big enough to have all the tubs in a single layer. In the old incubator I had them stacked on top of each other so would have to take the tubs out to see the slings, which would make the nervous ones run and hide. Now I can actually see the skittish ones a lot of the time.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    ugcg9nkjtive.jpg

My Christmas presents were a new 40 gal terrarium and fixings!

My daughter is dancing around singing "happy noodle!"

It seems to be a hit with scale babies and skin babies alike!

• Options
    My Phormictopus sp Dominican finally came out for some fresh air

7kVyJhi.jpg

And look, the T. cupreus now has all the proper appendages!

gwEzZXL.jpg

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    Well, there's a fungus that eats worms, so at least the ranchos have an ally.

• Options
    I haven't had a problem thankfully, but a source of danger for Ts in enclosures is ant invasions.

It makes sense when you think about it, but it is wild. Come home and your enclosures are swarmed by ants who have killed all your spodes.

• Options
    Docshifty wrote: »
    I haven't had a problem thankfully, but a source of danger for Ts in enclosures is ant invasions.

It makes sense when you think about it, but it is wild. Come home and your enclosures are swarmed by ants who have killed all your spodes.

Can you prevent this by using diatomaceous earth in their enclosures, or is that also bad for the spides?

• Options

Can you prevent this by using diatomaceous earth in their enclosures, or is that also bad for the spides?

A quick Google makes me say no.

Everything that makes it bad for ants would be equally as bad for spodes.

I am however not totally familiar and just basing this off information specifically stating it is bad for arthropods. Which, well, spiders.

• Options

I am however not totally familiar and just basing this off information specifically stating it is bad for arthropods. Which, well, spiders.

Maybe just a circle of it around each tub then?

IDK why I'm so invested in this being a good idea.

• Options

Maybe just a circle of it around each tub then?

IDK why I'm so invested in this being a good idea.

I suppose so. Fill a small like, pan, and have the enclosure on a wood block elevated or something.

I mean, the real answer is the same as just dealing with ants to begin with. Figure out where they're coming from, bait that, etc.

Also, my irminia now has their adult colors! And true to irminia style, they are impossible to actually see. Might rehome soon.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen