Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Through some alignment of the stars I was able to get an Xbox Series X. I was wondering about some must get games for it. I already got Gears 5 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection but any others out there? Also any games for a 14 year old daughter who enjoys Sims 4 but who was overwhelmed by Game Pass so had no clue else to get?

Nobody Saves the World is a respectable Zelda-y thing. TBH though, if she's got any interest in "poke around and try stuff", I would let her! I've found a good few pleasant times by doing that. Superliminal, NStW, Unpacking, a very pixely building game I just can't recall the name of (overhead/isometric, so not Terraria or anything), all small/interesting.

I'd actually recommend Superliminal regardless. I had bought it a while before it hit Game Pass, and it was honestly a very pleasant game. Portal-y, but very much its own thing I thought.

Ehhhhh, Nobody Saves the World is really grindy. Whenever the answer to 'what do I need to do to proceed' is to rerun previous areas I check out.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2022
    If you somehow never played this on PC, it’s time for you to try it on console. It’ll be on game pass.

https://youtu.be/ndZK5Q9914w

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    How has no one recommended Psychonauts 2 yet?!

They probably just wanted to recommend good games.

Such lies and slander!

Fisticuffs at dawn, you fiend!

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dead or Alive 4 is up for sale on the 360 marketplace now. It wasn’t a couple days ago

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/DEAD-OR-ALIVE-4/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802544307d1

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Lunar New Year sale is also going today.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Blizzard just announced they're working on a new game/ip in the least exciting way possible: job offer.

Funny this is like one week after the acquisition bombshell. "Oh thank god, Microsoft is buying us. We can recruit again."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Blizzard just announced they're working on a new game/ip in the least exciting way possible: job offer.

Funny this is like one week after the acquisition bombshell. "Oh thank god, Microsoft is buying us. We can recruit again."

In all honesty, yes? I mean it gives new hires at least some confidence going in.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Apparently people internally are stoked about it? Honestly probably for the best, starting fresh with a new IP that they don’t have to worry about legacy baggage with.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Warcraft: Lord of the Clans confirmed for Xbox. :lol:

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Wonder if this has anything to do with MS owning Minecraft. Could be MS requesting a Dragon Quest Builders type of game where it's got more of an emphasis on building and an actual story with quests and that Blizzard flair. That or they'll make their own Valheim with Hearthstone and hookers.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Sounds like Call of Duty will remain multiplatform through at least 2023 as CoD 2022, 2023 and the next version of Warzone are contractually obligated to appear on playstation, according to Jason Schrier

About what I expected. I could see 2024 going either way.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Wonder if this has anything to do with MS owning Minecraft. Could be MS requesting a Dragon Quest Builders type of game where it's got more of an emphasis on building and an actual story with quests and that Blizzard flair. That or they'll make their own Valheim with Hearthstone and hookers.

That Blizzard game has apparently been in development for a good while already so won't be anything influenced by MS.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Through some alignment of the stars I was able to get an Xbox Series X. I was wondering about some must get games for it. I already got Gears 5 and Halo: The Master Chief Collection but any others out there? Also any games for a 14 year old daughter who enjoys Sims 4 but who was overwhelmed by Game Pass so had no clue else to get?

Nobody Saves the World is a respectable Zelda-y thing. TBH though, if she's got any interest in "poke around and try stuff", I would let her! I've found a good few pleasant times by doing that. Superliminal, NStW, Unpacking, a very pixely building game I just can't recall the name of (overhead/isometric, so not Terraria or anything), all small/interesting.

I'd actually recommend Superliminal regardless. I had bought it a while before it hit Game Pass, and it was honestly a very pleasant game. Portal-y, but very much its own thing I thought.

Ehhhhh, Nobody Saves the World is really grindy. Whenever the answer to 'what do I need to do to proceed' is to rerun previous areas I check out.

"Respectable", I said... :D

If you like bar-go-up and kinda-Zelda-y action, plus "looks like Castle Crashers", it's good stuff. Amazing, it is not. (And tbf I haven't really hit the re-run areas thing yet, but maybe I will soon? Only got like half the forms unlocked.)

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »

That Blizzard game has apparently been in development for a good while already so won't be anything influenced by MS.

Also MS doesn't own them yet, so they can't legally influence their business decisions.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Lilnoobs wrote: »
    People are crazy if they think Micro is going to allow their 70billion purchase to help their competitor. All their games are pc and xbox only now going forward.

The purchase isn't complete yet, and that largely depends on what time period you mean by "going forward." Like, the next 3 Call of Duties might have contracts to release stuff for Playstation already, they wouldn't break those contracts. To me, the big question marks for right now are Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2, I could see those being Xbox and PC only.

Nailed this one. It only makes sense though, they make CoD games three at a time, so those would be the ones with arrangements planned out.

• Options
    edited January 2022

Lilnoobs wrote: »
    People are crazy if they think Micro is going to allow their 70billion purchase to help their competitor. All their games are pc and xbox only now going forward.

The purchase isn't complete yet, and that largely depends on what time period you mean by "going forward." Like, the next 3 Call of Duties might have contracts to release stuff for Playstation already, they wouldn't break those contracts. To me, the big question marks for right now are Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2, I could see those being Xbox and PC only.

Nailed this one. It only makes sense though, they make CoD games three at a time, so those would be the ones with arrangements planned out.

It sounds like it's Call of Duty 2022 (Infinity Ward), 2023 (Treyarch) and Warzone 2023(?) (Raven), so in theory Sledgehammer's next game in 2024 will be free of the contracts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    How has no one recommended Psychonauts 2 yet?!

They probably just wanted to recommend good games.

OH SHIT

Ah, I see where we are now...

9ch1bp5bd7sf.jpeg
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Dead or Alive 4 is up for sale on the 360 marketplace now. It wasn’t a couple days ago

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/DEAD-OR-ALIVE-4/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802544307d1

360 specifically? Because I've had it on my wishlist via the store on my Series X since it was added to BC.

No sales on any of them yet, either. *grumble*

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm absolutely addicted to Nobody Saves the World. It hits all the checkboxes for me.

• Options
    Microsoft has never gone as far as to cancel a release on a competitor's platform after an acquisition so long as said release was announced (e.g. Bethesda never announced Elder Scrolls VI for Playstation; everyone just assumed that would happen, up to and after they were acquired by Microsoft, and then Xbox explained that wasn't in the cards). As far as I know.
    Taramoor wrote: »

So it was absent up until this point? That's surprising. I was running the game in B.C. via the physical disk release, since the day of announcement. Not the first time a B.C. game was only available in physical form, but it's a rare occurrence.

Shame that DOA4 didn't support cloud saves on progression. :sad:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wasn't DOA4 delayed for digital sale for some reason? I seem to remember there were a couple games like that with the last BC release and 4 was one of them.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It was. I’m betting it’s the Aerosmith songs in the DOA games that really held them back. Getting the licensing for those again Likely took some time. It was great seeing them all released at once. 4 was the only one I didn’t own physically, so I picked that up the day the of the Last BC drop. It’s much harder than I remember it being.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    It was. I’m betting it’s the Aerosmith songs in the DOA games that really held them back. Getting the licensing for those again Likely took some time. It was great seeing them all released at once. 4 was the only one I didn’t own physically, so I picked that up the day the of the Last BC drop. It’s much harder than I remember it being.

I've made the joke about the Aerosmith royalties being the issue, since they have appeared in each Xbox release (2U added Dream On while making no addition to 1U, 3 had Nine Lives, 4 had Eat the Rich).

I assumed it was Koei-Tecmo being intransigent (after Ninja Gaiden Black was part of the original round of B.C. original Xbox games, it took a long time before Ninja Gaiden II, an Xbox 360 title, appeared, and there was suspicion K-T was demanding more money than Microsoft was willing to pay), but I don't have any certain evidence for that either.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    If you somehow never played this on PC, it’s time for you to try it on console. It’ll be on game pass.

https://youtu.be/ndZK5Q9914w

I don't think the trailer had the date but console launches Feb 10.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    re: the CoD releases through 2023... considering the deal isn't even closing until likely early 2023, non of that should be surprising. Legally Microsoft can't even alter the direction of Activision until the deal is done, so while I'm sure there's some handshake stuff off the record, if Activision really wanted they could sign contracts for anything going into the future that Microsoft would have to honor.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Seeing how re-releases have had to completely remove music that was integral to the game, even while upsetting fans, and how big a deal was made that Alan Wake Remastered was able to fully relicense the entire soundtrack I’d believe it being music related.

Though I’m still hot about the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox never becoming BC. I never got Black and never intended to. Got the original when it released and never saw a point of getting the other - especially since it lacked the original NES games that plain Ninja Gaiden has.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    re: the CoD releases through 2023... considering the deal isn't even closing until likely early 2023, non of that should be surprising. Legally Microsoft can't even alter the direction of Activision until the deal is done, so while I'm sure there's some handshake stuff off the record, if Activision really wanted they could sign contracts for anything going into the future that Microsoft would have to honor.
    I'm fairly sure any attempt by AB leadership to make any kind of deal that would effect the future of the company would have to be revealed to MS as that would effect the deal. And right now the last thing anyone at AB want to do is do anything that could cause MS to back out.

Like I've seen elsewhere people saying that Sony should pay AB a ton of money for an extended CoD deal so as to block MS from making CoD an exclusive and the response from actual lawyers was that that was the dumbest possible thing they could do.

• Options
    Seeing how re-releases have had to completely remove music that was integral to the game, even while upsetting fans, and how big a deal was made that Alan Wake Remastered was able to fully relicense the entire soundtrack I’d believe it being music related.

Though I’m still hot about the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox never becoming BC. I never got Black and never intended to. Got the original when it released and never saw a point of getting the other - especially since it lacked the original NES games that plain Ninja Gaiden has.

The additional mission modes and campaign content in Black, I would argue, is more than worth the trade-off; even in the Xbox 360's day, NGB was seen as the "ultimate" version of the game, given the difficulty adjustment and the inclusion of "Ninja Dog" mode for those who needed it.

That being said, I had the original release of Ninja Gaiden, and it's unfortunate they took out the 2D trilogy (and the cartridges you had to find to unlock them); I would assume that was the result of Nintendo asking a price that Microsoft wasn't willing to pay (and while it was a nice enough inclusion, given just how radically different Team Ninja's game was, it's not building on the game the way the mission content did). Still, it's always sad to lose content. And as we've seen with Death Stranding, people have plenty of reasons not to buy a re-release so close to the original launch.

• Options

Ninja Gaiden OG didn't have the NES games either, it had the SNES ports of them (sort of a Mario All Stars situation). Also, Black is a lot better than the initial release, not sure why you avoided it.

• Options
    I didn’t want to pay full price for what was basically an expansion pack. There were a lot of other games that were worthy of my $50 at that time that I didn’t feel it was worth practically rebuying a game I already had.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think most people were happy Black got added as it has some extra content. But I can see why it's annoying the original isnt there, the games being in there might actually be why it wasn't chosen.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I didn’t want to pay full price for what was basically an expansion pack. There were a lot of other games that were worthy of my $50 at that time that I didn’t feel it was worth practically rebuying a game I already had.

I totally get that at launch, but eventually you could get Ninja Gaiden Black and a burrito for $10.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    I got tired of getting wrecked by non-boss characters and gave up on Ninja Gaiden around chapter 11 or so, I think. (Whatever the level with the dinosaurs was). Never bothered with Black or the sequels.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I remember just being amazed at how great Ninja Gaiden looked at the time. I felt like it was the first game that really showed off how much better oXbox games could look compared to PS2.

But actually playing it though, ... it just never really grabbed me the way the DMC games did.

• Options
    I was just relieved that Ninja Gaiden 2 was, in fact, a pretty good game (even with some performance problems that most of us regular players would only notice in the most extreme circumstances--the "hundred fiend stairway" for example), and concessions made to make the game much easier at least at the start (though that's a debatable improvement I suppose). It wasn't the masterpiece NGB was, but still quite good.

As oppose to Devil May Cry 2, which sucks compared to the original. And perhaps in general, as any game where a boss is a demon growth-possessed attack helicopter might be expected to. Even the helicopter enemy encounter in Ninja Gaiden is better. :lol:

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, DMC2 was legit terrible. But they made up for it was the rest of the series. And then Team Ninja pivoted into the souls-like genre, something I liked even less than NG1&2.

I remember when DMC v NG and Splinter Cell v MGS were at the center of the console wars. (I know SC was on PS, but it looked so much better on oXbox that Xbox fans basically claimed it as their game.) The passion in those arguments were never matched by discussions of Killzone v Halo. Though, that first Killzone definitely didn't have the ability to ignite passion, I guess.

• Options
    I remember just being amazed at how great Ninja Gaiden looked at the time. I felt like it was the first game that really showed off how much better oXbox games could look compared to PS2.

But actually playing it though, ... it just never really grabbed me the way the DMC games did.

That game was amazing, for sure. And I remember, at the time, Itagaki saying that the reason NG and the DOA games (from that point) were exclusive to Xbox was because it was the most powerful system. And with how his games looked, it was easy to believe. He also said it during the 360/PS3 era, but I really doubted that one… he had gone more off the rails by that point though.

I’m trying to think of another game on the Xbox that impressed me as much as Ninja Gaiden - Maybe Splinter Cell? Too many games were just ported from the PS2 unchanged. I think Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 being on the system was pretty mind blowing then too. The line between Console and PC games started getting hazy once the Xbox came out, and I was really happy to see that.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I never got into classic God of War, though I played almost all of the ones that were out during undergraduate school after buying (and then replacing) my PS2 courtesy of rental (back when you could rent video games, that golden age). Already being familiar with DMC, much less Ninja Gaiden (though it would be quite a while before getting a sequel), the first few games had a somewhat limited novelty before they became, "Soo....this is like Devil May Cry, but not as good. Oh, and with a fuck-minigame where you break vases. Which is...neat?" Somehow the fucking minigame didn't win me over. :lol:

But new God of War (Dad of War) is pretty tops in what I've played of it. And now it's come to PC! And is a good port! :+1:

That game was amazing, for sure. And I remember, at the time, Itagaki saying that the reason NG and the DOA games (from that point) were exclusive to Xbox was because it was the most powerful system. And with how his games looked, it was easy to believe. He also said it during the 360/PS3 era, but I really doubted that one… he had gone more off the rails by that point though.

If he was basing that on multiplatform releases, they almost all ran worse on PS3, and looked worse as well....Final Fantasy XIII (the first one) was a notable exception in that it ran at a noticeable higher resolution...and had a substantially worse framerate than even the iffy 30 FPS on Xbox 360. It's strange how much worse even games like Skyrim look on PS3 because....something-something-Cell-something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vgSjy4CLo

The technical gap between the PS2 and the original Xbox was more obvious--but that reflected a different design ethos on Microsoft's part, on top of Sony overselling the PS2's specifications to the public (which probably wasn't really necessary blow the Dreamcast out of the water, or dominate that generation). Even the markedly cheaper Gamecube has better lighting support as I recall; it just happens that Microsoft had literally the only high definition-capable console until the release of the next console they put out (with only a scant few games able to use that).

EDIT: Okay, somehow the word worse was deleted from my post. Three times. :confused:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Wreckless was another game that looked a world apart on Xbox compared to the later PS2 & GC ports.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The last time I bought and seriously spent any time on a call of duty game was back in the Gamecube/Wii era, so I really don't care about that side of the acquisition at all.
    I just want to see Starcraft: Ghost finally come out as a result of all those billions. :lol:

There's a treasure trove, also, of IP's that Activision gobbled up over the years and did absolutely fucking nothing with, like a sleeping Dragon with it's treasure hoard, gathering dust.
    Hopefully MS will finally do something with them. Imagine being a dev on something as exciting as a bright and cheery new Crash Bandicoot and then being forced to work in the generic and merciless CoD-money-machine mines.

Soul sucking work, probably.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    Wreckless was another game that looked a world apart on Xbox compared to the later PS2 & GC ports.

Wreckless could put some early 360 Games to shame - that game looked great. Though, I’m now thinking of the Project Gotham Racing series and how beautiful that looked on the system. And every so often people would come out and say there’s no topping this - graphics can in no way get better. Someone says it every generation and every generation after that, at least after a time, they get proved wrong.