Options

Come talk about the Jaguar, 3DO and Gex in the [Retro Games] Thread

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Most of today's teens probably haven't even been in the same room as a PS2, let alone played one

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

The PS2 isn't allowed be retro because I had one when I was a teenager.

I was 22 when it came out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    For some reason, they are taking forever to release the next PSCX2. You might as well get the nightly build.
    Supposedly, it is less stable, but I have had no problems with it.
    It still has that annoying thing were you have to use an app to map a DualShock 4 to XInput.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The United States Air Force and other military branches has published so many photos of its drone operators using Xbox 360 gamepad controllers. Like, in a "Check this shit out, we are cool and hip and a potential career path, my fellow kids," kind of way. So the repurposing of Playstation 3 consoles "for other means" is not particularly surprisingly. :lol:

As for possibly-retro consoles, you have to remember, in the official political forum of the United States--congress--the U.S. had the daughter of the ambassador of Kuwait pretend to not be the daughter of the ambassador of Kuwait, and explain how fictional Iraqi soldiers were throwing fictional Kuwaiti babies out of fictional incubators to cart them back across the nonfictional border. On the record as official testimony to congress. We got off lucky with "Playstation 2's are being used for missile guidance."

'Course, I can't think of it as a retro console either. My first Playstation 2 died when I was an undergraduate.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

The PS2 isn't allowed be retro because I had one when I was a teenager.

I was 22 when it came out.

23 here. Feels like a long time ago now.

(Because it was :wink: )

• Options
    I love coming to this thread to feel younger. :lol:

• Options
    I had two PS2s break on me. A fat one and a slim one. I guess I should sell them on eBay.
    I wish I had an engineer to fix them.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I had two PS2s break on me. A fat one and a slim one. I guess I should sell them on eBay.
    I wish I had an engineer to fix them.

I just wish I knew about the class-action lawsuit and the ruling against Sony back when it would've gotten me a little money for my trouble. :lol:

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

The United States Air Force and other military branches has published so many photos of its drone operators using Xbox 360 gamepad controllers. Like, in a "Check this shit out, we are cool and hip and a potential career path, my fellow kids," kind of way. So the repurposing of Playstation 3 consoles "for other means" is not particularly surprisingly. :lol:

They still do that shit, it wasn't that long ago that they were caught running a Twitch stream with links to a "contest entry form" that submitted applicants' personal info to Army recruiters for potential solicitation. They put a lot of effort into capturing gamers by blurring the lines between video games and reality e.g murder this brown person for us with an XBox controller drone piloting is totally like a video game *smile*

• Options
    I found a working PS2 slim on eBay. I also found a little stand for it so I can prop it up vertically.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

They still do that shit, it wasn't that long ago that they were caught running a Twitch stream with links to a "contest entry form" that submitted applicants' personal info to Army recruiters for potential solicitation. They put a lot of effort into capturing gamers by blurring the lines between video games and reality e.g murder this brown person for us with an XBox controller drone piloting is totally like a video game *smile*

That reminds me of the movie, Toys. That was a really significant movie.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Funny story but I didn't own a PS2 in my day, I was a gamecube house, back in my days of not having enough disposable income to afford more than one console.

Near the end of the PS2's lifecycle when the last of the stock dropped to $100 to get it out the door I bought a 9000 model slim. I've played maybe 5 hours on it total, but I do enjoy having it part of my collection.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I found a working PS2 slim on eBay. I also found a little stand for it so I can prop it up vertically.

I would assume the reliability would only go up with the later revisions, especially after the embarrassment of, well, losing a court case over such issues.

I gave up on trying to keep a working PS2 and fell back on PS3 software backwards compatibility--which has the benefit of letting me rely on HDMI, but eventually had heating issues. My original Xbox was slightly over twenty years old before I had to have the PSU replaced (with zero warning in advanced), but it has its share of inconsistent disk-reading issues, not PS2 bad but still problematic (though there are very few games I can't play on a modern Xbox fortunately).

• Options
    Sony products are prone to breaking. Microsoft also had that problem with the 360 motherboards getting too hot.

• Options
    edited March 2022
    I had to replace the cd rom drive on an original xbox once. That was what was great about them, they were standard enough to replace parts.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    a lot of the earlier disc based consoles have issues with the lasers on the drives burning out. Apparently it was super common on the 7000 series PS2 slims.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Can't tell you how many times I had to open my Dreamcast before I just got a new one

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ah, memories of the PS2. I wanted one so badly that I pre-ordered a Japanese one with a few games. Then won a Japanese one from the same website that I bought it from for my brother. Got a US model when it came out as well since I figured I would save the Japanese one to play Japanese PS1 and PS2 games and the US one for my full gaming.

I then bought the network add-on for some reason and Sony sent me the HDD to beta test FF XI. So that was fun playing the game before it came out and submitting bug reports.

Those were great times. I still have all of the hardware and some games for it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    I had a Sony WEGA tv that started dying on me. I am glad I don't have that anymore. It was a heavy sucker.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    So the repurposing of Playstation 3 consoles "for other means" is not particularly surprisingly. :lol:

s0n7psh621f9.jpg

• Options
    Man, that image takes me back :+1:

• Options
    Vintage memes from yesteryear

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So the repurposing of Playstation 3 consoles "for other means" is not particularly surprisingly. :lol:

s0n7psh621f9.jpg

z6vxc9chbqco.png

Time is a flat circle.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'm excited to see our posts as senile old persons!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
      I hear it has two screens.

uyvfOQy.png
    • Options
      0gbp5s3js2i6.jpg
      r10xu20bc2l5.jpeg
      gojqal7vtbbh.jpeg
      q80pehk4pzni.jpeg

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I know that's actually a PS3 controller in the picture, but I did frequently use my Dual Shock 2 on my Cube. I had adapters to use that controller on the DC and Xbox as well.

• Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
      Jazz wrote: »
      r10xu20bc2l5.jpeg

Good. No one should.

• Options
      MercadeMercade Registered User regular
      Jazz wrote: »
      r10xu20bc2l5.jpeg

As someone who never played a Pokeyman game, this one makes me feel real old. *shakes old fist*

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
    • Options
      An adult Pokemon game would be funny. Like Detective Picachu.

• Options
      181045f0ace42081f3c42386dc1026b6.jpg

That should run Ski Free, right?

• Options
      811f873195652add74d44730123078b3.jpg

• Options
      Here is this gem. Back when the Pentium first came out.
      https://youtu.be/qpMvS1Q1sos

• Options
    • Options
    • Options
      akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
      edited March 2022
      My lil Anbernic is arriving today. Time to acquire some games for it!

Probably the NES game I played the absolute most, and beat several times (I'm not usually a "game-beater"), was JAWS. I don't think it's a very good game, but by gum I'm kind of excited to party like I'm 7 years old again.

Edit: Did I say 7? I must have been 12. Wat.

akjak on
      Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
      Twitch: akThera
      Steam: Thera
    • Options
      akjak wrote: »
      My lil Anbernic is arriving today. Time to acquire some games for it!

Probably the NES game I played the absolute most, and beat several times (I'm not usually a "game-beater"), was JAWS. I don't think it's a very good game, but by gum I'm kind of excited to party like I'm 7 years old again.

Edit: Did I say 7? I must have been 12. Wat.

I think I have the JAWS cartridge. I will have to check my shelf.

• Options
      I guess I should ask.. Are we allowed to talk about um... Buccaneering in here?

• Options
      Think that's a no no still

• Options
      Gotcha.

What's the best Harvest Moon to play on a single-screen, no analog sticks, device? Best Kirby?