As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[d20 Discussion] You either get busy livin', or get busy craftin'.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I read it, what was wrong with it?

The lunar sorcere gets it fundamentally wrong, solamnic knights are borked, and kender are very meh.

Like… it feels like someone saw some stuff from the gold box crpg released in the early 90s and just tried to apply it without any understanding of the settings themes or ideas to 5e.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    I read it, what was wrong with it?

The lunar sorcere gets it fundamentally wrong, solamnic knights are borked, and kender are very meh.

Like… it feels like someone saw some stuff from the gold box crpg released in the early 90s and just tried to apply it without any understanding of the settings themes or ideas to 5e.

Oh

Yeah I guess I just sort of assumed that is exactly what happened

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Wording question:

Suppose I want a feature for a tree dude (potential PC?) such that while he does not have fire vulnerabilities, per se, it's harder for him to get fire resistance? Like fire resistance = normal, fire immunity = resistance. Regardless of utility, what's a good wording for this?

"Fire susceptibility. While your kind is not by default vulnerable to fire damage, your biology pose certain difficulties in being resistant to it. Fire damage dealt to you ignores any fire resistance you might have. If you gain immunity to fire, instead receive half of any fire damage dealt to you."

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Wording question:

Suppose I want a feature for a tree dude (potential PC?) such that while he does not have fire vulnerabilities, per se, it's harder for him to get fire resistance? Like fire resistance = normal, fire immunity = resistance. Regardless of utility, what's a good wording for this?

"Fire susceptibility. While your kind is not by default vulnerable to fire damage, your biology pose certain difficulties in being resistant to it. Fire damage dealt to you ignores any fire resistance you might have. If you gain immunity to fire, instead receive half of any fire damage dealt to you."

sounds fine, keep in mind people won't like being stealth nerfed like that.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    What about something a bit like hex so you take additional damage from fire but not as massive as double - Flamable sap the thick, sticky fluids that serve as your blood can catch fire when exposed to heat and air. When ever you suffer Fire damage, you take an additional D6 damage from the scalding sap that leaks from the wound.

It's a bit harsher than what you were going for in some cases, but still meshes with fire resistance should that be needed for plot reasons. It also gives the player an extra resource for problem solving, which balances out the debuff a little.

• Options
    AmarylAmaryl Registered User regular
    Wording question:

How much does good wording matter, the wording you have now communicates the idea fine. but if its a house-rule for your group the spirit of the idea is a lot more important?

but if wording is important, i'd reword the "if you gain immunity to fire" a bit to something like immunity to fire halves all fire damage received instead of negating it.

The trait as you describe will however negate any ability for the PC to get rid of their weakness, Which might become an issue if the campaign goes long.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Will there be a petrification feat for old trees that instead makes them fireproof but lose 5 feet of move speed?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    https://paizo.com/products/btq02d54/discuss?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Abomination-Vaults

Paizo apparently announced that they're porting one of their Pathfinder adventures to 5E.
    Pathfinder Adventure Path: Abomination Vaults (5e)
    Our Price: $59.99

Preorder expected October 2022

One of Pathfinder’s most popular and exciting campaigns comes to 5e at last!

When the mysterious Gauntlight, an eerie landlocked lighthouse, glows with baleful light, the people of Otari know something terrible is beginning. Evil stirs in the depths of the Abomination Vaults, a sprawling dungeon where a wicked sorcerer attempted to raise an army of monsters hundreds of years ago. The town's newest heroes must venture into a sprawling dungeon filled with beasts and traps to prevent a spiteful spellcaster from rising again!

This complete compilation of the original Adventure Path campaign has been adapted to the newest version of the world’s oldest RPG. You’ve heard about the quality and depth of Pathfinder campaigns for years—now explore the Abomination Vaults yourself without having to learn a new game system!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    That's seems...weird to me. Is that weird?

Is PF2 not getting the kind of traction Paizo was hoping for, or is this just "There's another big bucket of money just sitting over there"?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    5E conversion technique:
    1. Ask your DM.

• Options
    Man paizo really needs to accept that it’s been over a decade since there break up with wizards of the coast.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    playing Elden Ring nonstop since its release has given me the unquenchable desire to create a 5e sandbox hexcrawl campaign replete with mystery

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I would toss $60 down for a PF2 monster manual converted to 5e because their creatures are much better than the D&D versions

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I would toss $60 down for a PF2 monster manual converted to 5e because their creatures are much better than the D&D versions

This is why I buy Kobold Press' Monster Manuals. Lots of fun stuff in them.

Also, speaking of 3rd party content, My kickstarter for Twisted Taverns showed up! I forgot I backed at a level where I got battle mats, tavern inserts, cards and dice. I apparently went all out about 18 months ago.

3axnrn416b9g.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dungeon Alchemist, an AI powered D&D map maker, just came out in early access and its pretty incredible, I made a battlemap for saturday game in literally 5 minutes
    9erXETS.jpg

it's really expensive, unfortunately, and right now only has about a hundred assets and the terrain tools are pretty barebones, but good god any map I can make with this thing going forward, I will

Generates the rooms based on what you ask, you can regen as much as you want, and it has an extensive level of fine control for placing, scaling, resizing objects, windows, doors, etc

override367 on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dungeon Alchemist, an AI powered D&D map maker, just came out in early access and its pretty incredible, I made a battlemap for saturday game in literally 5 minutes
    9erXETS.jpg

it's really expensive, unfortunately, and right now only has about a hundred assets and the terrain tools are pretty barebones, but good god any map I can make with this thing going forward, I will

Generates the rooms based on what you ask, you can regen as much as you want, and it has an extensive level of fine control for placing, scaling, resizing objects, windows, doors, etc

My friend got in on the kickstarter beta and has been doing locations from Strahd. She loves the software.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    My party still has too many plates spinning, but they're starting to grow more invested in what's happening, so yesbison.gif excellentburns.gif

The party artificer has made a homunculus assistant made in the vein of her friend, the barbarian, whose name is analogous to.... shall we say Bubba, so the homunculus is named Robobubba:

at1qsrr46oo4.png

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    That's seems...weird to me. Is that weird?

Is PF2 not getting the kind of traction Paizo was hoping for, or is this just "There's another big bucket of money just sitting over there"?

No, it's kinda what a lot of people have been saying to Paizo for a while now, and they listened. And yeah it's entirely about that big bucket of money just sitting over there. The Pathfinder setting is really, really fucking good, and while I'm sure Paizo prizes the PF2 system, their IP has a lot of value because of how well they've constructed their setting.

As far as PF2 is concerned, I like it a lot, and many others do too, but the overwhelming response seems to be that it's really fucking hard. Combat is simply too interesting. Your fighter can't sit there and trade blows with a monster, if he does that he will die. He needs to inflict status effects and think on his feet and come up with ideas for fucking things up to put himself at an advantage. Most monsters/characters don't have an AoO so you should be mobile and using your move speed to your advantage if you can. After a couple of fights your fighter's shield is broken to shit and you'll spend more time fixing it than healing, and he really needs it (shields have their own hp pool if you use them).

So I can totally see people being like, okay, I like PF2, and I like the PF setting, but I just want to make a dumb barbarian who smashes shit. I want to drink gin + red bull and eat ice cream while rolling dice tonight instead of dissecting combat scenarios like Sherlock Holmes.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Today's comic pretty stellar for older players.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Today's comic pretty stellar for older players.

They were playing a 16 bit era D&D game on their Twitch channel yesterday, up until the murder this is pretty spot on for their back and forth.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    THAC0: the rules are in the name.

• Options
    Hmmm, reckon I’ll do a play-by-post game on here, with sign ups starting tomorrow.

It’ll be 1st level jaunt into The Vastness Beyond, a spooky bunch of Dark Souls looking visas, if you’re interested in that vibe.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    DM threw a boss at us tonight at the end of this infernal fortres in the last room, in a room full of oil, a powerful warlock lady (but a human)

I got first on intiative. I dropped my flametongue scimitar in my offhand as a free action as I finished casting wall of force, igniting the oil inside the bubble (which was "about a foot deep")

He said "yeah so she's going to take 5 damage" and I said "so does she need to breath?" and he started to panic, and calmed, "wall of force only lasts a minute", so "I would like to wait 50 seconds and recast it, then I'll do it again with my 6th level slot and again with my 7th if I have to"

And that is how the warlock boss with 9th level spells and legendary actions never got to go and choked to death in a burning bubble of force

(we fought a HUGE battle beforehand but I didn't use any spells of high level, pretty much did the classic "sword your enemies to death while hasted" thing, the glories of being a full caster gish)

I'm proud of him because I know how hard it is to jump over that hump and actually let your players cheese a fight once in a while, because you forgot to put a counter on their stat block, instead of just saying "err uh yeah she ... she has disintegrate on her spell list" *quickly editing sheet in foundry*

override367 on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Every time one of those remix comics comes up in conversation I feel like everybody's staring at one of those magic eye posters and I'm the only one that can't see.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Random 4e question: Did 4e ever introduce rules for hirelings and henchmen? Looking through the PHBs and DMGs, I'm not seeing any. Did Essentials ever touch on it?

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Looking here they look to have been part of Mordenkainen's (and UA before then).

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Looking here they look to have been part of Mordenkainen's (and UA before then).

Ah, thank you! I figured they had to be in a supplement, but my 4e collection is woefully incomplete.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    Admittedly, I think a complete 4E collection would be several shelves of books.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Admittedly, I think a complete 4E collection would be several shelves of books.

I don't have many of the published adventures but have almost all of the player and GM books and yes, it's a full-sized bookshelf with some difficulty.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    For those who would be interested I just found a PDF with conversions of the githyanki from 4E's Scales of War adventure path, including Vlaakith herself.

Githyanki Castes PDF

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    It appears that the upcoming Dragons of Stormwreck Isle boxed set will be based on the 80's D&D cartoon. Two of the characters from the show appear to be on the cover, and the official Twitter account has been posting clips and images from the show for the last week or so.

5fg845mliyi3.png

Other characters that were featured in the D&D cartoon previously appeared in Wild Beyond the Witchlight, too, such as the evil wizard Kelek.

Given that the cartoon is over 30 years old and WotC has been marketing increasingly to the younger newcomers to D&D, this move is a little bit perplexing.

• Options
    Acrobat.

• Options
    Some people just go that hard with their Expertise and feat choices.

• Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    It appears that the upcoming Dragons of Stormwreck Isle boxed set will be based on the 80's D&D cartoon. Two of the characters from the show appear to be on the cover, and the official Twitter account has been posting clips and images from the show for the last week or so.

5fg845mliyi3.png

Other characters that were featured in the D&D cartoon previously appeared in Wild Beyond the Witchlight, too, such as the evil wizard Kelek.

Given that the cartoon is over 30 years old and WotC has been marketing increasingly to the younger newcomers to D&D, this move is a little bit perplexing.

Was the d&d cartoon even that popular? Like the only way I was able to catch it was decades after the fact where it was just… not that great?

Also can I just point how weird it is that they keep doing old school references while trying to condemn the games past?

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Wild Beyond the Witchlight: These NPCs frozen in time will prompt your players to explore the mystery of what the League of Malevolence is up to
    My Players: Lol we pantsed the frozen wizard guy, DM how many frozen pixies can we fit in a bag of holding we want to sell them in Skullport
    Module: um... they will free the frozen in time archfey!
    My less evil, but less attentive players, not noticing what the rogue and warlcok are up to: The concept of archfey ruling an entire plane like a god is abhorrent, how do we kill her while she's frozen because the hags obviously work for her (they do not)
    The chaotic neutral witch player, all by herself: *solves the mystery, prevents calamity, saves the day*

somehow this was an airplane going down with a missing wing a blown engine and it landed safely, the Rogue only managed to steal 3 pixies and just blamed their loss on the rampaging monster, but being pixies, they're just going to turn invisible and escape when he's busy with something else

override367 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Remember to poke holes in your bag of holding to let the creatures breathe, folks

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
This discussion has been closed.