Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Apparently surprise, there's an X4 expansion being announced today.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=443184

About 8 hours from now, apparently. No hints so far.

Edit (well, actually post, 5 days later, welp):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jpH_1gOBg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1701060/X4_Tides_of_Avarice/

X4: Tides of Avarice.
    • Third expansion for X4: Foundations to be released in Q1 2022
    • Extraordinary new ships, new economy and gameplay elements will surprise X4 players
    • Captivating new stories will challenge the perception of social order and justice in the X universe
    • Extensive free 5.00 update to feature a series of new capital ships, numerous new interiors, and AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution (FSR)

New stellar phenomenon mechanic, as well as a new salvaging wrecks mechanic? Kind of a pirates themed expansion? Sounds interesting.

KiTA on
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    One of these days I really need to sit down and play X4. I've owned the game for a long while now and haven't played since its rocky launch. Maybe when that new expansion comes out I'll give it a shot.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I just started messing around with X4 again and was happy to see the addition of a custom start where you can set all sorts of starting conditions, like your credits, ship, faction relations, blueprints, research, known sectors, and more.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    The X4 Tides of Avarice DLC releases next week on 3/14.

The salvageing mechanic is part of the base 5.0 update. So you'll be able to get the station modules and have access to the new Manticore tug needed to tow your scrap to the recycler without DLC. The scrap processor turns the scrap into usable materials like hull parts and claytronics. Terran version outputs computronic substrate and silicon carbide. The new DLC factions can build everything from just hull parts, claytronics, and energy cells as, lore-wise, the only thing they had available for resources was scrap. But the scrap processing takes enormous amounts of energy cells. Sectors now have drifting hulks already as a new resource, but now any destroyed ships and stations will also leave behind wreckage with salvage value. That is, you can make a living off the carcasses of other people's battles. You won't have access to/see the new large scrap compactor ship that creates big cubes of scrap to more efficiently haul back unless you have the DLC.

New factions and storylines are mobster and scavenger/piracy based. New ships of course, that design-wise look appropriately built from scrap. But there are not a large number. A handful of S fighters/heavy fighters, an S courier, an L mineral miner, L transport, L scrap compactor, and a battleship with some real OP turrets. But the only M is the Manticore tug. Not sure what the size of the Astrid luxury yacht is.

However, the Paranid are getting some redesigned ships in the 5.0 update. Much better looking than the blobs they had before in my opinion. These don't replace the old ship models, they are new "E" versions of the exiting models you can build/buy.

They've also tweaked and fixed many other things. One of the better additions I feel is a "local autotrader" order you can give 0-star pilots that lets them autotrade within the one sector. A lot less fiddling with manual trade orders for new pilots.

And if you prefer 4X to X4, Distant Worlds 2 releases on 3/10.

Pausable, real-time 4X space strategy game. Expand your galactic empire, research tech, customize your fleets down to the modules on each ship, diplomacy, espionage, and war with with other factions, etc. And if there's any aspect of the game you prefer not to handle, just turn on the automation for that item and let the AI handle it for you. You could play as a single ship exploring the galaxy while your AI handles every aspect of your empire if you wish. And it has a built in galaxy editor to let you tweak anything you'd like, from planets, to ships, to empire attributes. If you've played the original, the 2D graphics are now 3D, with seamless zoom from galaxy level down to individual ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWD5Btwedys

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    If DW2 has even half the scope - and ability to pick which part of that scope to care about - that DW1 has that's probably going to be a day one buy from me.

The "set up the empire, just play one single ship within it" aspect and actually modeling the civilian economy in DW1 were really neat.

• Options
    One other note on X4 updating to 5.0, if you've been using the popular VRO mod, the developer of that is from Ukraine and had to evacuate due to the war leaving all his stuff behind. So no telling when he might be able to return to his normal life.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Has anyone here tried Chorus? I've seen fairly mixed reviews for it online, and I don't know anyone who has personally played it.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    If DW2 has even half the scope - and ability to pick which part of that scope to care about - that DW1 has that's probably going to be a day one buy from me.

The "set up the empire, just play one single ship within it" aspect and actually modeling the civilian economy in DW1 were really neat.

X4 ToA and DW2 coming out at the same time is definitely too much of a good thing; but between DW2's top-to-bottom autopilot and long stints in SETA, one could conceivably play them at the same time...

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Which has the better single player content? Xwing Alliance or X-Wing vs Tie fighter?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Which has the better single player content? Xwing Alliance or X-Wing vs Tie fighter?

Alliance. XvT is a multiplayer game you can sub in with bots.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

They did release the ... Balance of Power?, yeah, BOP ... expansion that had the two single-player campaigns, though. I remember them being pretty good at the time.

Alliance is awesome, though.

• Options
    Sweet, i got a .......T16000M flight stick and.....da fuq , that was a really good deal for $40....wish they had the other bits

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »

They did release the ... Balance of Power?, yeah, BOP ... expansion that had the two single-player campaigns, though. I remember them being pretty good at the time.

Alliance is awesome, though.

BOP is good, but stands out as a weird anomaly among the Star Wars space sims. The single player campaigns are built on the framework of the multiplayer engine, which leads to missions where you can choose your role/ship and and respawn a few times, and a difficulty curve that's all over the charts. Personally, I think the campaigns are worth playing, but their structure is definitely a departure from both TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Sweet, i got a .......T16000M flight stick and.....da fuq , that was a really good deal for $40....wish they had the other bits

That is a crazy good price you got it for.

I grabbed the stick and throttle bundle before the big price hike but both are really good. I've since upgraded stick but due to not being able to get the throttle I want I'm still using the t16000m throttle and it's awesome.

Dixon on
  • Options
    Last time I got a used thrustmaster, the springs were shot to shit inside, but this one....this one works fine. REPC ya'll.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

XvT is my favourite of the Star Wars space sims. It's got some straight-up deathmatchy content but it comes with *a lot* of missions, many of which that are more structured. XWA has really bad/weird voice acting (your brother is inexplicably Scottish) and a silly storyline, and some of the more advanced features turned out to be not that much fun (flying circles in the YT-1300 and setting your turret to autofire is kind of boring).

I wish we could get XvT in the XWA engine, especially with the addition of the XWA upgrade. There was also some guy working on a VR mod for XWA which looked amazing.

• Options
    How essential is the xwa glow up mod?

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried Chorus? I've seen fairly mixed reviews for it online, and I don't know anyone who has personally played it.

I didn’t finish it but it was a fun ride for a while. The complaints in reviews about the “inner voice” being annoying are true, but the actual space fighting is pretty fun. Just be sure you’re looking for more actiony space fighting and not sim-style.

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    How essential is the xwa glow up mod?

I wouldn't call it essential, but it makes the game significantly prettier. If you're planning on streaming/vlogging a playthrough, then I would call it essential.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

X4 ToA and DW2 coming out at the same time is definitely too much of a good thing; but between DW2's top-to-bottom autopilot and long stints in SETA, one could conceivably play them at the same time...

DW2 is out now and people seem to really enjoy it, provided those types of games are your cup of tea. I've seen quite a few refer to it as a "3d Aurora 4x" which is a statement that makes my nipples hard. I'll probably pick it up some time today.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Axen wrote: »

DW2 is out now and people seem to really enjoy it, provided those types of games are your cup of tea. I've seen quite a few refer to it as a "3d Aurora 4x" which is a statement that makes my nipples hard. I'll probably pick it up some time today.

I am enjoying it as a 'complex idle game'

Blah64 on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Blah64 wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

I am enjoying it as a 'complex idle game'

The ability to automate as much or as little as you want in a DW game is something I really appreciate.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I did a run of dw2 last night and into late early game I just turned on full auto and watched for awhile. It was fun. But yeah you can micro down as much as you wamt, Some of the systems need fleshing out but for the team size the game is really impressive. There is also some optimization issues but again team size heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    The one QoL thing they really need to fix in DW2 is to make your advisor actually remember your choices. It keeps prompting me to give a gift to this; independent faction and I decline it every time and 30 seconds later it prompts me again. Same thing with recommended mining locations I decline. But I also don't necessarily want to turn off the suggestions to stop it either.

• Options
    The one QoL thing they really need to fix in DW2 is to make your advisor actually remember your choices. It keeps prompting me to give a gift to this; independent faction and I decline it every time and 30 seconds later it prompts me again. Same thing with recommended mining locations I decline. But I also don't necessarily want to turn off the suggestions to stop it either.

Go to the diplomacy screen and change your policy towards that faction to 'neutral'

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    wonderpug wrote: »

I didn’t finish it but it was a fun ride for a while. The complaints in reviews about the “inner voice” being annoying are true, but the actual space fighting is pretty fun. Just be sure you’re looking for more actiony space fighting and not sim-style.

The whisper inner voice thing is a weird choice but to me it just read as them doing Lynch's Dune monologue thing so I thought it was kinda amusing. But yeah, seconding the gameplay being a fun as hell action space game. The super powers you get over time are a fucking ball to play with and pure power fantasy nonsense.

I'd say it's 100% worth a purchase. I got it and had it beat in a couple days due to getting totally sucked into the gameplay. It's been a while since we've gotten a pure space pew pew game that rocks that hard. Also a forumer was the lead technical artist for it!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »

The whisper inner voice thing is a weird choice but to me it just read as them doing Lynch's Dune monologue thing so I thought it was kinda amusing. But yeah, seconding the gameplay being a fun as hell action space game. The super powers you get over time are a fucking ball to play with and pure power fantasy nonsense.

I'd say it's 100% worth a purchase. I got it and had it beat in a couple days due to getting totally sucked into the gameplay. It's been a while since we've gotten a pure space pew pew game that rocks that hard. Also a forumer was the lead technical artist for it!

Chorvs:

Gameplay: Good.

Plot: Not... As good.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    There are a couple of automation features from the first game I miss, the population control options are sort of still there but hidden in the colonies menu area and not in the policy section, and they might similarly be hidden but it doesn't seem like there's any way to direct automated research to prioritize certain areas, and there's less options to set your broad diplomatic stance and general approach to other nations.

Edit: Very belatedly, speaking of Distant World's 2.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Today's DW2 patch completely removed keyboard controls for me.
    Reinstalling didn't help.

• Options
    Blah64 wrote: »
    Today's DW2 patch completely removed keyboard controls for me.
    Reinstalling didn't help.

They may have taken this automation thing a bit too far.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you bought the Ukraine Humble Bundle, you got ΔV: Rings of Saturn which seems like a neat mining sim.

• Options
    If you bought the Ukraine Humble Bundle, you got ΔV: Rings of Saturn which seems like a neat mining sim.

I would have never found this. Nice :+1:

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

If you watch The Expanse, ΔV is basically Beltalowda: The Game.

Also, watching the Elite Dangerous stream on Twitch, and someone in chat just commented that they name their Krait "Kraitie Sackhoff" :D

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I’m looking at Distant Worlds 2 but the Steam reviews are mixed. Are the technical issues that bad? Bearing in mind I played through Cyberpunk with basically no issues on my machine, so who knows.

• Options
    swphreak wrote: »
    I’m looking at Distant Worlds 2 but the Steam reviews are mixed. Are the technical issues that bad? Bearing in mind I played through Cyberpunk with basically no issues on my machine, so who knows.

The game slows to a crawl once I've got intel on the entire galaxy and am zoomed out. Otherwise the game runs fine for me.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    swphreak wrote: »

It's a good game overall, and they've been patching the performance issues steadily. I haven't made it to late game on a huge map, but I've heard a lot of reports of the performance improving notably with the hotfixes over the past couple of weeks.

The mixed reviews are actually fairly....mixed in nature in this case. By nature, the maps in that game are huge. If you're not playing on the hugest of the huge maps, you should be alright on the performance. That's definitely one of the big sources of negative reviews.

The rest depends on how much you've played Distant Worlds 1, and how much you're into a 4X with a ton of systems that can all be automated (or not).

DW2 is really really similar to 1. If you're burnt out on 1, there's not a ton of new stuff in 2 right now. It's prettier, and feels a lot more smooth to play. But it doesn't offer much to super shake up the formula -- if you haven't played tons of DW1 or you really want an engine refresh (DW1 is really creaky and feels even older than it is so that's a very valid reason), it's a really solid bet. I'd say the main 3 sources of negative reviews are:

1) Performance -- has been improved and you should be okay unless you're really gunning for the biggest maps since your PC withstood the might of Cyberpunk.
    2) Old DW1 vets who are upset about a very specific change to one of the systems that they spent 1000+ hours with -- you won't even notice this unless you're in this camp
    3) People who are overwhelmed with how much stuff is going on with the game (it's more complex than Stellaris) and/or put off by the fact that the game can "play itself" due to all of the automation options.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    2) Old DW1 vets who are upset about a very specific change to one of the systems that they spent 1000+ hours with -- you won't even notice this unless you're in this camp

I suspect I am not, but what did they change?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

I've heard complaints that they oversimplified the ship builder because of the change to ships having a real 3D model instead of being abstracted and 2D. All of the other stuff seemed more speculative, and were more "balance issue" type stuff that I think needs more evidence and time with the game to draw a conclusion on.

I opened up the ship editor in 2 and it's insane and has too many buttons for me to fully understand just yet. It seems fine to me, but I didn't spend dozens of hours in the ship builder of 1. I did it a bit, but not enough to know the ins and outs or anthing.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ship builder?

You have my attention.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

I've heard complaints that they oversimplified the ship builder because of the change to ships having a real 3D model instead of being abstracted and 2D. All of the other stuff seemed more speculative, and were more "balance issue" type stuff that I think needs more evidence and time with the game to draw a conclusion on.

I opened up the ship editor in 2 and it's insane and has too many buttons for me to fully understand just yet. It seems fine to me, but I didn't spend dozens of hours in the ship builder of 1. I did it a bit, but not enough to know the ins and outs or anthing.

DW1 ships were just a bucket of a certain size so you could stick any components in it as long as you didn't go over the max size. DW2 ships have some of their components use defined slots, so you still have a max, its just that say one type of frigate might have 2 sensor slots, 5 weapon slots, 3 shield slots, 4 engine slots, plus 15 general slots where another type of frigate might have 1 sensor slot, 4 weapon slots, 2 shield slots, 5 engine slots, and 16 general slots. There's still plenty of flexibility in builds and usage depending on modules used, you just can't boat a dozen weapons on them anymore.