As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please delete

MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
edited December 2015 in Artist's Corner
Please delete

zombiegirl8ki.gif
TL_Sigblock.jpg
PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
MaximasXXZ on

• Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The watercolor is really fantastic. Reminds me of acrylic almost.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Maximas, dude!!!! It's been a while, how are things in the middle east? I especially liked that winged skull.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When you and Mr Dave stop posting here this place became completely void of zombie art- I for one am glad your back!

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Detective is my favorite, and thanks for your service, OP. The watercolors also rock, but that detective is just so bad-ass. The gold is a nice touch.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Ragnarök idea looks pretty cool. The only issue I could see with any of these is that that woman's lower half looks a little odd, even for exaggeration. Also, the fact that the area behind her hands is black makes it look kind of like her, eh, underwear extends below where is probably would.

Otherwise awesome stuff.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Aye, the Dirty Third image has been brought up to me before. I drew her with some Microns and unfortunately I was under a book deadline so I couldn't go back and fix her huge thighs.

My co. 1st Sgt put it best when he saw her, "Man, Uri's been reading too many booty-ho magazines."

As for my zombie contributions, I will never fail to deliver everyone's daily dose of vitamin Z. ;)

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tweak the horizontals in the “India Company” lettering to match the curve of the circle. The fast way to do it is to just recreate them in Illustrator and warp the text using Path > Envelope Mesh > Warp.

The gigantic ass on the woman in the third platoon’s logo is great. 100% dead on for the corp.

Do more watercolors, you have a knack.

supabeast on
  • Options
    Mr DaveMr Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    hay max!
    that company logo is rad as a motherfuck
    i'm also keen on the watercolour ones. those are hard to get a good colour pallete going without overloading the page with paint. thumbs up

Mr Dave on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sweet. The first one is awesome. I'd be happy to have that as a tattoo!

Stay safe over there man.

Lly on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Max leveled up!

Sweet.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Here are some pictures from Iraq. Not even close to all of them. I have some 12 GB of Iraq photos on my computer.

Boots_small.jpg
    Boots---Kuwait

IraqiArchetecture_small.jpg
    An Iraqi house.

Irony_small.jpg
    "Irony"

KingwiththeSoldier_small.jpg
    CPL King with a Soldier on a rooftop at Abu Gharayb (The prison with the bad pictures).

KingdomCome_small.jpg
    Fallujah city, post Operation Phantom Fury.

TimeMagazinecover_small.jpg
    A random shot I got somewhere out in Zaidon.

NationsColors_small.jpg
    Fallujah city again.

HappyGirl_small.jpg
    This girl was so happy we gave her a toy.

Drenneninturret_small.jpg
    CPL Drennen in a humvee turret.

AtLeastSomeonesHappy_small.jpg
    Random painting I saw on a wall at a local school.

ImastraightupG_small.jpg
    And me in a humvee. I'ma straightup g, bitches.

Yeah I'm nothing close to being a professional photographer. But I love taking pictures! I used an 8.1 MP Sony Cybershot. I bought it right before I left. It's still kickin' too, even after some 1800 pictures in Iraq. Most peoples' cameras break after a couple months.

Anyways, please comment on them. I could use some opinions on my photography. I've got a lot more. This is just what I felt like uploading to Photobucket right now.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some of those are pretty good, a unique setting definitely gives some great opportunities. A few have some issues with exposure, notably some blown out skies and highlights. Either drop the shutter speed or ISO a bit or tone down the high range of curves in Photoshop. Keep at it, looking forward to more.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I read "Uriarte" as "Urinate" :'(

Mayday on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Definitely liking the photos, few technical issues like the exposure on the skies and stuff but for subject matter you have some pretty good captures. Composition wise I like the shots of CPL King and CPL Drennen the best so far.

Also, I fucking love the India Company logo.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Heh, so much love for the India Co. logo. I was hoping people would like it, it's really my first time designing a logo. I've taken one black and white design class in college, and that was years ago.

It's actually based on an older logo from Vietnam. Unfortunately I can't find it online. But it was essentially the same elements. A crudely drawn skull with an old long bayonette stuck down the center of it, with white angel wings coming out the top of it. They didn't fold back down though like mine do. India Co used to be a raider company I believe, which is why it had wings. For helo ops. Since we don't really do that anymore, I brought the wings down, to show that we're grounded now but still paying homage to our roots.

As for my name. I'm in the f---ing Marines, you really think I haven't heard that one before? ;)

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Chivovohs.jpg

This is an image I did for a small local dog treat place as a favor. It's inked by hand with Photoshop lettering. I really want comments on my designs, I think the lettering could be made more interesting somehow; but I'm not sure how.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder BreadWonder Bread Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The flecks of foam coming from his mouth make it look rabid. Other than that I can't see any huge problems. The "eyebrows" bug me a bit, but I'm not sure why.

Wonder Bread on
  • Options
    biiirdmaaan!biiirdmaaan! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It has a lot of energy and I disagree with with Wonder Bread about it looking rabid. However, if the mouth was open or noticeably full, it would look like more like it's chowing down on some delicious doggy treat. It also looks more like a cat than a dog to me for some reason. (These are mostly nit picky. I think it's a strong piece)

About the lettering: in general, I think it's more important that lettering be readable than interesting, so I think it came out well.

biiirdmaaan! on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ugh, I don't know what I'm doing anymore with Watercolor...

MarineShadowsofthePast_small.jpg

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    Ugh, I don't know what I'm doing anymore with Watercolor...

awesome.jpg

that is a powerful image!

only thing that seems a bit off is the way the modern day soldier is holding his rifle. he seems to be holding it out from his body too much (as though reloading?) and it looks just a little awkward (please note that i have no idea the proper way to hold any sort of weapon).

that aside, i love how well you balance detail with shadowed/hidden areas... it makes the work look very stylish and really adds to the whole picture (and it's effect).

my favorite part is the older (vietnam?) soldier's expression. it looks very... real. its something i would definitely like to get a poster or print of.

devices on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Ugh, I don't know what I'm doing anymore with Watercolor..."

Kicking ass?

Seems like the perfect image for some text on the bottom

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I really don't like the faces. I'm trying to get used to drawing/painting without outlines but I taught myself how to draw, so I have to unlearn nasty habits. I guess it bothers me more than anyone else.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Holy hell. That is a fantastic piece, made all the more awesome because you are an actual soldier out there. It gives it a lot of meaning. Very nice. The faces could be a bit more abstract to go with the dreamlike feel of the rest of it, but fucking great anyway.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    IMAGE_00511.jpg

Watercolor over graphite. (I forgot the little band that goes above the shade on his cover, I know.)

I did that earlier, I'm officially a combat illustrator now in the Marine Corps. It's a pretty sweet gig, they didn't have an illustrator at the shop either, but had a studio set up for one in case they got one. Well, they got one, so now I have my own little room with all the tools in the world! For free!

Edit: I apologize for the shitty photo, I had to leave it at the shop and all I had on me was my phone.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    Ice-NineIce-Nine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Great artwork man. I like the watercolors.

Ice-Nine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    That new job sounds great. Grats on that :D Artist for the army, how glamorous!

Lly on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Semper Fi man.

Keep your head down.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I got an idea for a new comic that I can do at work. It's a Marine Corps-themed comic based on the all-too-common "Terminal Lance Corporals" (TLC) of the Marine Corps. TLC refers to someone who is more or less "stuck" at the rank of E-3, Lance Corporal, because they simply just don't care enough to go for Corporal.

Anyways, I'm trying to come up with a logo for it and this is what I'm going for more or less:

Terminal_Lance_Title_1.jpg

I'm really looking for some input and suggestions as to how to make the design better. I'm not in love with teh color red or anything, I just thought it looked good.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So what does a Combat Illustrator do exactly? Draw during fire fights?

Grats on the new job.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    So I got an idea for a new comic that I can do at work. It's a Marine Corps-themed comic based on the all-too-common "Terminal Lance Corporals" (TLC) of the Marine Corps. TLC refers to someone who is more or less "stuck" at the rank of E-3, Lance Corporal, because they simply just don't care enough to go for Corporal.

Anyways, I'm trying to come up with a logo for it and this is what I'm going for more or less:

Terminal_Lance_Title_1.jpg

I'm really looking for some input and suggestions as to how to make the design better. I'm not in love with teh color red or anything, I just thought it looked good.

I'd read it.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    So what does a Combat Illustrator do exactly? Draw during fire fights?

Grats on the new job.

Well despite the fact that it's got the word "combat" in it, Combat Illustrators actually don't have to deploy, though they can if they want. But the actual MOS of "Combat Illustrator" has been dropped from the Marine Corps and integrated with Graphics/Reproduction. Basically you work in a shop printing things and don't graphic design, usually; however since the guy in charge that saw my hand-done art was so impressed, he wants me to become just a regular illustrator. I dunno, it's pretty cool. It's definitely a good change of pace from the grunts.

Unfortunately there's some problems with my MOS change right now and I'm not sure if I'll be able to move, though I'm really hoping I do.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would never join any branch of the military, but I've always imagined that being a Combat Illustrator or similar would be a really awesome job.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It is pretty awesome. What sucks is trying to leave the grunts, cause it's really difficult for some dumbass reason.

So any suggestions on how to make my title better?

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey Maximas.
    Thank you for your service. Your work is amazing, keep it up. Take care of yourself and come home safe.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's not much to say on the logo. It's not bad, but it's not especially eye-catching. I don't know the term for that kind of font (fonts like Times New Roman, etc.), but I think a different type might be better. It depends on what's going on in the comic.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    So I'm working on a new oil painting. Here's a digital composition/reference I put together using my section leader, myself and the machine guns section leader.

ShadowsofWar_composition_small.jpg

With that said, anyone have any good oil painting tutorials? :D

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like!

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Okay, I genuinely need help with this. I'd really appreciate it if someone with some oil painting experience could un-fuck me a little. This project is important to me and some high ranking people, so I want it to look as good as possible. I'm not too worried about the likeness to the image, it's really just a reference for color and lighting.

DSC02275.jpg

I'd like to add that I've never in my life used Oils, this is a lot harder than it looks. :P

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    DSC02277.jpg

Updated. I still need help.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you've never in your life used oils, its going to be really difficult to paint a picture like that.

Some things you should think about though: I'm not very good at painting, so I can't help you with that, but I can tell you one or two technical things about oils:

If you haven't done so yet, when you set up your palatte, put 2 drops of oil of cloves into all the colors, 4 drops into the browns (browns dry up very quickly). This will make the oils more buttery and it will prevent them from drying out so you can work on the painting longer.

When you blend (with the fan brush), what you want to do is this: take a very tiny brush and make a zig zag pattern back and forth between the two colors you want to blend, like this:

/
    \
    /
    \
    /
    \

Then, take the fan brush and very lightly just run it from top to bottom, only once. Then wipe off the fan brush and repeat the whole thing if you need to blend the colors more. Also, when you blend, you are essentially taking paint off of the canvas, so make sure you put enough paint on in the first place.

I don't know how much you know about painting so I don't know how much to tell you, but my real advice would be that if you want to learn how to use oils, you should do this: Set up a still life with some fruit (my first one was an apple, an orange and a yellow pear. These are good because when you paint, they are three very different colors) and a white vase or some sort. Do a charcoal rendering of this, this will help you get down the values and everything before you paint it. Then, paint the same scene. Thats how I got started with oils anyway. It takes a long time and is really frustrating in the begining, but its really the only way to learn.

If you want to know anything else just ask, but painting portraits is something people spend their entire lives learning how to do, so it might be a bit unrealistic for you to expect yourself to be able to paint three people as your first painting. Good luck though.

Chop Logic on