As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    One of the drawbacks to large center console screens in modern automobiles and kids who can read in the backseat.

YzQscpL.jpg?1

"Hey dad, what does silver fuck mean?"

I think Matt might have a problem.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well, you see, son, it's actually, err... Danish. It's "Silv, erf uck."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    One of the drawbacks to large center console screens in modern automobiles and kids who can read in the backseat.

YzQscpL.jpg?1

"Hey dad, what does silver fuck mean?"

I think Matt might have a problem.

You think that's bad, you should check out his house!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I kind of posted this in the pi thread, but Sapling has been having a hard time recently with anxiety about time, and things seeming to sneak up on her no matter how many times we warn her. I think a large part of it is just the age she's at (4 almost 5), but I wanted to find a way to make a big-ish visual reference to the time left before something happens. I was thinking about trying to make something with a raspberry pi and some color changing LED's? Sort of a color clock maybe?

But I'm not sure how to make it? Or what sort of lights to get? Or if the Pi I have can make it run? Has anyone tried to do anything similar? Or just bought something that does something similar?

Separately, her Kindergarten orientation was on Wednesday, and that was a lot of feels. Sapling is usually super shy around new people, especially adults. But they framed the whole thing as something she was doing, and she was invited to bring us with her. So when we showed up the person letting us in addressed her instead of us, and she responded super well, she was still shy but answered all the questions to get checked in, then when we went in the teachers got her talking so easy. And then halfway through, the teachers took all the kids back to the classroom to play while some of the administrators talked to us about a bunch of boring adult stuff, and she was gone in an instant, didn't even look back.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I kind of posted this in the pi thread, but Sapling has been having a hard time recently with anxiety about time, and things seeming to sneak up on her no matter how many times we warn her. I think a large part of it is just the age she's at (4 almost 5), but I wanted to find a way to make a big-ish visual reference to the time left before something happens. I was thinking about trying to make something with a raspberry pi and some color changing LED's? Sort of a color clock maybe?

But I'm not sure how to make it? Or what sort of lights to get? Or if the Pi I have can make it run? Has anyone tried to do anything similar? Or just bought something that does something similar?
    Depending on the timeframes you're working with, how about some hourglasses you could flip for her? (I'm assuming you can get them in different sizes like 30/10/5 minutes or something).

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Out of nowhere my youngest has pooped on the potty two days in a row. She got up, walked into the bathroom and pooped. No fuss or anything!

And the past 3 days she woke up with a dry pull up. Better than the 7 year old.

• Options
    Red Raevyn wrote: »

Depending on the timeframes you're working with, how about some hourglasses you could flip for her? (I'm assuming you can get them in different sizes like 30/10/5 minutes or something).

Yeah. We've considered something small like that, but I was hoping to create something more environmental, if that makes sense?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wife: I got my Roman Number translator test program done and it passed inspection.
    Me: Oh yeah? Would you say you scored a C?
    Wife: :|:|:D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    We installed a bidet. The kids are having more fun with it than if it was an outdoor water toy.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Ugg I think we’ve gone backwards. Due to a sickness in the family, baby girl spent a month with wife/MiL while wife helped her family member. Wife/MiL are night owls, so baby got trained to a late bedtime.

Break to now that all of that is over, and she’s waking at 3-4 AM expecting a bottle. We feed when she says she’s hungry during the day. Going to be a fun few months while I get her trained back. She was going to bed at 8:30 and waking at 7:30 the next morning.

Of course as I finished typing the above she took a big ol poop.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Ugg I think we’ve gone backwards. Due to a sickness in the family, baby girl spent a month with wife/MiL while wife helped her family member. Wife/MiL are night owls, so baby got trained to a late bedtime.

Break to now that all of that is over, and she’s waking at 3-4 AM expecting a bottle. We feed when she says she’s hungry during the day. Going to be a fun few months while I get her trained back. She was going to bed at 8:30 and waking at 7:30 the next morning.

Of course as I finished typing the above she took a big ol poop.

I take that last sentence back, she just farted as loudly as possible.

Then 45 minutes later she proceeded to fill every void in her diaper with green poop (we are feeding her green vegetables right now) and blow it out one side of the new diaper into her sleeper.

I just gave up and hosed her off in the bathtub.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    I do not miss the blow out diapers. My oldest was the queen of destroying her outfit on the way to wherever we were going. Those damn car seats were the perfect angle to having it go everywhere.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hahaha no.

They never hold still again.

The first months of having a new baby is often about helping them learn to walk and talk. The next decade is about trying to get them to sit down and be quiet...

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ...and then in their teenage years you keep asking them to SPEAK UP!

My 14-year-old's mumbled responses to me have been really grating on my nerves lately.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    '"Daddy I'm out of yogurt."
    "What was that buddy, I didn't..."
    g7uidibctj1y.jpg

Jesus, that level of cuteness should be illegal.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    g7uidibctj1y.jpg

What I want to know is why don't they sell dinosaur tshirts and hoodies in my size?

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    g7uidibctj1y.jpg

What I want to know is why don't they sell dinosaur tshirts and hoodies in my size?

This is kind of similar.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Our little 2 month old got prescribed omeprazole (prilosec) for reflux and it worked great for all of 2 days. Now he's all refluxy again and pissier than ever. Sigh.

Can't seem to figure out why it worked so well for 2 blissful days then suddenly stopped working.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    oh, great

it's hand, foot, and mouth time

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Hahaha no.

They never hold still again.

The first months of having a new baby is often about helping them learn to walk and talk. The next decade is about trying to get them to sit down and be quiet...

We were food shopping yesterday, as it was a long weekend here, and the store was suitably busy.

My darling wonderful effervescent child was dancing to whatever song was in her head, twirling and leaping and doing something between Gaga and Baryshnikov, with a little Astaire thrown in.

If she hadn't been in the smack dab center of the walkway while doing so, it would have been great. Cute even.

But oyyyyy the way she just happens to constantly be in the way of everybody around her and just seems oblivious to that gets to me.

Come, dance over here. You can dance on the side of the aisle. That's fine. But what you're doing is just being obtrusive to others and not courteous.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    m!ttens wrote: »
    g7uidibctj1y.jpg

I had a coworker for a while who had a lot of dinosaur print button down shirts.
    Our little 2 month old got prescribed omeprazole (prilosec) for reflux and it worked great for all of 2 days. Now he's all refluxy again and pissier than ever. Sigh.

Can't seem to figure out why it worked so well for 2 blissful days then suddenly stopped working.

We had a similar issue, ended up getting a foam wedge from the hospital so Sapling could sleep elevated, and had to wait like an hour(ish) after she ate to help control it. Granted, we were also dealing with a cleft palate at the same time, so we had support and challenges that might not be the norm. I'm sorry it's been something you've been struggling with, it definitely sucks.

Brody on

• Options
    Sorry for the double post, but I know in the past people have mentioned a book that helped navigate the "where do babies come from" conversation, and Sapling is very insistent that we explain it to her.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    oh, great

it's hand, foot, and mouth time

I hope you're feeling better since I'm seeing this days late

When my kid gave it to me she never got symptoms, I actually got as far as work trying to figure out why my hands were hurting, I sat down in my cube, boss came over for a good morning, I mentioned something, --

"Okay, get up from your chair, turn around, open the door with your foot and walk back to your car and go home." :grin:

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Sorry for the double post, but I know in the past people have mentioned a book that helped navigate the "where do babies come from" conversation, and Sapling is very insistent that we explain it to her.
    It's Not the Stork is highly recommended by most people I know. I haven't read it myself, but that's the current go-to.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    There was a year-end outdoor event at my daughter's school last night. Bouncy castles, games, face paint, etc.

But rather than enjoy the event, I was constantly in my own head looking at high windows and doorways where a shooter could possibly emerge from.

FUCK!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Yesterday was the last day of school. Today starts with my daughter knocking on the door and waking me up.

"I'm bored."

Uh oh.

dennis on
  • Options
    The little one is currently pushing herself backwards and she keeps trying to get up on her knees.

Her mobility is exponentially increasing.

I’m screwed.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Yesterday was the last day of school. Today starts with my daughter knocking on the door and waking me up.

"I'm bored."

Uh oh.

I hope you replied "Hi Bored, I'm Dad"

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    dennis wrote: »

"I'm bored."

Uh oh.

I hope you replied "Hi Bored, I'm Dad"

I do that all the time and my daughter hates it....which just encourages me to do it more.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The little one is currently pushing herself backwards and she keeps trying to get up on her knees.

Her mobility is exponentially increasing.

I’m screwed.

There was a video someone posted of teaching their kid how to walk, and the top response was, "Yeah, but now they know how to walk."

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

We eventually explained the real details. Our son was like "ew" and moved on.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2022

My plan is to start from the ground up, go over how DNA works then the stages of development from zygote to embryo to blastocyst to..perhaps a 3 month old if they're that young. Literally how babies are made from a pair of cells.

I think until they are a little older, I'd remind them about how their younger sibling can't count/read and how they didn't use to be able to ride a bike and still can't grow a beard and be "it's something that's hard to explain in words, but when you're older it just comes naturally and it'll make sense then".

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Baby has a fever, I don't remember Lore being sick until much older on account of quarantine from COVID. What am I allowed to give a three month old medicine wise?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Baby has a fever, I don't remember Lore being sick until much older on account of quarantine from COVID. What am I allowed to give a three month old medicine wise?

3 months is right on the edge of when you can give infant Tylenol without a doctor consult. It's mainly based on weight thought, dosages start when they're 11-12ish pounds.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular

When ours were that young we called the pediatrician, but we had (have) tiny kids.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

3 months is right on the edge of when you can give infant Tylenol without a doctor consult. It's mainly based on weight thought, dosages start when they're 11-12ish pounds.

He was 14 pounds a month ago so no issues there. We called the nurses line for our pediatrician and she said we could give a tiny amount of acetaminophen and to monitor to make sure his temp didn't go much higher. He seems in decent spirits otherwise fortunately.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Woo!

Thanks to the tax levy we passed in my school district last year I won’t have to buy four different lists of school supplies as the triplets head into Kindergarten.

Fuck they’re going to be in Kindergarten.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Woo!

Thanks to the tax levy we passed in my school district last year I won’t have to buy four different lists of school supplies as the triplets head into Kindergarten.

Triplets?

One is running me ragged, I couldn’t imagine what 3 would do.

• Options
    It's been a full week and my youngest has pooped on the toilet every day. I'm so thankful that out of nowhere she decided it was finally time to stop going in her pants.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Woo!

Triplets?

One is running me ragged, I couldn’t imagine what 3 would do.

I wonder if Taramoor still has the photo of one of them climbing on the fireplace mantle?