Options

1312 incidents of [Police Brutality] and counting

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also interesting subtitle there. run from the scene?

Didn't a cop get "in trouble" for running away from the Stoneman Douglas High school shooting?

By "in trouble" I mean he had to move to the next county over to become a cop again after losing his job.

Pretty sure he also won a court case that said he had no obligation to try and stop it.

I think that was a different court case, where a guy stopped a guy with a knife on a train and asked for help from some cops that were in an adjacent traincar and they just let him struggle and I think get stabbed while doing nothing but watching in the other traincar.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    wp0WgCnl.png

Is this actually a photo from that mass shooting recently?

Because those don't look like police.
    Law enforcement personnel run from the scene of a shooting, with their tacticool armor. Yes that sounds about right.

Texas police are only distinguishable from soldiers in that they have no set of standards or rules or body that punishes them for crimes

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Also interesting subtitle there. run from the scene?

Didn't a cop get "in trouble" for running away from the Stoneman Douglas High school shooting?

By "in trouble" I mean he had to move to the next county over to become a cop again after losing his job.

Pretty sure he also won a court case that said he had no obligation to try and stop it.

I think that was a different court case, where a guy stopped a guy with a knife on a train and asked for help from some cops that were in an adjacent traincar and they just let him struggle and I think get stabbed while doing nothing but watching in the other traincar.

Loxito v New York City, wherein officer testified that they had hidden from Gelman before and while Loziot was being attacked because they were afraid he had a gun. The judge agreed that the police has "no special duty" to protect Lozito, and that in order to have standing to sue, Lozito would have needed to have direct contact with the police who were hiding in the other car, and the police would have had to have known he was in danger and still chose to ignore him.

That's right, when you're a cop you can say "I was scared so I locked the door and looked away" as an excuse to not do your fucking job.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'll stand corrected on the case then, thanks PA research machine :).

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Apparently, Mens Health magazine did an interview and a big write-up about the Stoneman Douglas coward cop just this week.

https://www.menshealth.com/trending-news/a39927553/scot-peterson-parkland-shooting/

Edit: the coward cop talking about how other cops are all cowards for not calling him to see how he's been doing since losing his job
    "And what I’ve learned about cops is, most of them, I think—how can I say it? I think their attitude is ‘I’m glad it’s not me, and as long as it’s not me, I’m going to just scurry away.’ I mean, I knew a lot of people, and I can count on one hand the people that ever even called me.”

Edit 2:
    “I always kept very, very busy. I probably made more arrests than any other Broward deputy,” he says.

Even though it’s bullshit, they actually arrested me. It’s nothing, nothing of a citizen in this country, when they take your liberty away—take your liberty away for misconduct, for show, and with no probable cause. That’s frightening.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Two weeks ago Tempe, AZ police dove in to water to save a dog from drowning, and then did a media tour about how they're heroes for saving a dog.

Last week the Tempe, AZ police watched a Black man drown as he begged for help because "they can't swim."

I don't have the words.

In the first case what they really did was take credit for other people getting in the water, sooo...even?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
  • Options

The shooting video autoplays at the top of that detroit free press link, so you know

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

The shooting video autoplays at the top of that detroit free press link, so you know

Thanks for the warning. Could anyone provide me a refresher on which incident this one is since I don't want to see that?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The video auto plays but it also takes a while to get there so if you scroll down/don't have audio on you will probably be fine

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

Thanks for the warning. Could anyone provide me a refresher on which incident this one is since I don't want to see that?
    Pulled over for having license plate that didn't match his car, ran away, got tackled facedown, cop turned off his body cam, said "get your hand off my taser" a few times, then shot him in the back of the head.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Yeah, the police do a lot of heinous shit and get away with it. They do less than people think and get punished for it more, though. The status quo is not acceptable, but things are really not as bad as they're made out to be in liberal and leftist spaces. You have to remember that this is a big-ass country and these threads actively push back against information and opinions that aren't salaciously negative.

@WhiteZinfandel

This is gauche, I will admit that openly. I think it is occasionally worth being gauche, especially when existing within the same space as someone prone to disguising cruelty with a thin veneer of decorum.

I am willing to concede that the police do less than people think. They might, for instance, do nothing while children are being killed and then try to paint their inaction as heroism.

But you were right, he did less than people think. And he was punished for it more, by being sworn into the city council in a secret ceremony, a week after a massacre he allowed to happen. Things really aren't as bad as liberal spaces say, you were right, I didn't get it. Conservative spaces like Texas know what's up, this is on me.

You were right, I was wrong, mea culpa.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I believe there's plenty of issues that are not as bad as "liberal and leftist" spaces make them out to be. Hell i even run across some of that on these very forums.

The absolute deplorable state of American police and it's laughable accountability are definitely not among them.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yeah, the police do a lot of heinous shit and get away with it. They do less than people think and get punished for it more, though. The status quo is not acceptable, but things are really not as bad as they're made out to be in liberal and leftist spaces. You have to remember that this is a big-ass country and these threads actively push back against information and opinions that aren't salaciously negative.

@WhiteZinfandel

This is gauche, I will admit that openly. I think it is occasionally worth being gauche, especially when existing within the same space as someone prone to disguising cruelty with a thin veneer of decorum.

I am willing to concede that the police do less than people think. They might, for instance, do nothing while children are being killed and then try to paint their inaction as heroism.

But you were right, he did less than people think. And he was punished for it more, by being sworn into the city council in a secret ceremony, a week after a massacre he allowed to happen. Things really aren't as bad as liberal spaces say, you were right, I didn't get it. Conservative spaces like Texas know what's up, this is on me.

You were right, I was wrong, mea culpa.

Yeah, I'd like to see evidence of a police officer being "punished for it more", before I'll accept that claim as true.

Any time a police officer is held to the SAME standard as a member of the public would in a similar situation, is a massive outlier.

I'd like to hear the apparently frequent occurrences where they're held to a higher one.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Well most regular murders go unsolved (in measurable part because many police departments have reduced their detectives and forensic resources in favor of more patrol officers because tickets make money and detectives cost money), so even if the ratio of cop murders:cop convictions is greater than civilian murders:civilian convictions I'm still profoundly unconvinced.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Who wants to be angry that a Nazi got a payout? It's me, I want to be angry about it!
    KENT, Wash. – The City of Kent is paying $1.52 million to a former assistant police chief, who is no longer with the department shortly after being disciplined for posting a Nazi insignia on his office door.

An internal investigation at the time said Kammerzell knew what he was doing when putting the insignia above his office door nameplate.

You read that right: he posted Nazi insignia on his office door and got a payout for it after he was fired with cause. The system works!

No wait, opposite of that.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Seattle cops sent 2 swat members to a court house not under their jurisdiction to intimidate the family of someone who was killed by police, because some of the people there called the cop a coward.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/seattle-swat-sent-to-charleena-lyles-inquest-site-after-confrontation-between-family-and-officer-who-shot-her/
    Witnesses said some family members made comments to the officer, including calling him a “coward.” His inquest attorney, Ted Buck, said McNew was concerned about what was said and called his sergeant. Two days later, two members of the police department’s SWAT team responded “for purposes of familiarizing themselves with the location in the event SPD may be called to respond.”

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    People called him a "coward" so we sent SWAT members to harass family members thereby proving that he is, in fact, a coward. As are we all.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    So last night we're watching tv and and both of our phones go off with the super loud Emergency Alert system notification THREE TIMES over the course of an hour and I ask my husband what's going on, is it an Amber Alert? Is it an Emergency Weather Warning?

Neither. It was a Blue Alert.

Which means somewhere, in the state of Tennessee, that would take you over 10 hours to drive from end to end, someone fired a gun at a cop.

Didn't kill the cop. Didn't hit the cop. Just fired a gun at a cop.

Turns out this was a state wide alert, so every fucking cellphone in the state of Tennessee went off with the Emergency Alert system because somewhere someone fired a gun in a cop's direction *once*, supposedly.

What the actual fuck.

Viskod on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Did you crack open a beer and celebrate?
    sorry.
    not sorry.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Did you crack open a beer and celebrate?
    sorry.
    not sorry.

Dude, this is out of line. Viskod clearly said they missed.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ouch, you folks are brutal.

Just like the cops.
    BAZINGA!

• Options
    I wasn't aware of the Officer Houston Tipping incident in LA.

Apparently Officer Tipping was playing the part of "the mob" in a training exercise on crowd control, and died as a result of injuries sustained (namely a broken neck). It's been alleged in a lawsuit by his mother that he was beaten.

He also apparently sustained a head injury, a punctured lung, liver damage and broken ribs. The lawyer for his mother did admit the possibility some of the latter could have been from CPR, but also said the injuries in total went beyond that.

So, it's possible there was no ill intent....

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-06-28/lapd-chief-denies-claim-that-officer-who-died-in-training-had-been-beaten
    Moore also said the department has launched an investigation into the incident and a review of the training in question.

Huffman’s legal claim called on the city to preserve any video of the training, but Moore told The Times on Tuesday that no video of the incident has been identified.

In response to Moore’s comments, Huffman’s attorney, Bradley Gage, said Moore was “either mistaken or misinformed.”

Yeah, they almost certainly did it. And they're working to cover it up.

• Options
    Oh, so the officer was killed while participating as a protestor during training officers how to handle protestors?

No dark implications there, nope!

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Oh, so the officer was killed while participating as a protestor during training officers how to handle protestors?

No dark implications there, nope!

The situation is indeed very telling. Darkly humorous if it weren’t real

“Of course there is no video of the training session, everyone knows you turn off your body cam before beating a protester to death”

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Why would you record video of a training session? It's not like you would ever want to review what occurred in order to identify what was done correctly and what required further attention or anything.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of the Officer Houston Tipping incident in LA.

Apparently Officer Tipping was playing the part of "the mob" in a training exercise on crowd control, and died as a result of injuries sustained (namely a broken neck). It's been alleged in a lawsuit by his mother that he was beaten.

He also apparently sustained a head injury, a punctured lung, liver damage and broken ribs. The lawyer for his mother did admit the possibility some of the latter could have been from CPR, but also said the injuries in total went beyond that.

So, it's possible there was no ill intent....

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-06-28/lapd-chief-denies-claim-that-officer-who-died-in-training-had-been-beaten
    Moore also said the department has launched an investigation into the incident and a review of the training in question.

Huffman’s legal claim called on the city to preserve any video of the training, but Moore told The Times on Tuesday that no video of the incident has been identified.

In response to Moore’s comments, Huffman’s attorney, Bradley Gage, said Moore was “either mistaken or misinformed.”

Yeah, they almost certainly did it. And they're working to cover it up.

I wonder if he had spoken out against the conduct of his fellow officers before.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Why would you record video of a training session? It's not like you would ever want to review what occurred in order to identify what was done correctly and what required further attention or anything.
    Yeah. I’ve done 50 or so training sessions for various new items for federal projects, and every one of them that wasn’t in a secure area had a camera recording, and the ones in secure areas had detailed agendas.

• Options
    "This is the Baltimore City Police Dept. helicopter unit. Please exit the swimming pool. There is no lifeguard on duty. For your safety, exit the swimming pool.”

Sure, can't afford lifeguards for public pools, but we can have police helicopters buzz by and harass people for being in public pools on the regular.

Baltimore City Councilman Zeke Cohen confirms this isn't an isolated occurance:
    I’ve asked BPD not to use their helicopter to chase away kids at the pool. Repeatedly. While I do worry about the safety of children swimming at night without a lifeguard, this ain’t it. Totally excessive. I’m meeting w BPD and Rec and Park next week and plan to address this.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    But the BPD spent millions on this sweet surveillance helicopter, if they can't harass children, what else are they going to use it on, traffic on the 8s?

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    "This is the Baltimore City Police Dept. helicopter unit. Please exit the swimming pool. There is no lifeguard on duty. For your safety, exit the swimming pool.”

Sure, can't afford lifeguards for public pools, but we can have police helicopters buzz by and harass people for being in public pools on the regular.

I’ve asked BPD not to use their helicopter to chase away kids at the pool. Repeatedly. While I do worry about the safety of children swimming at night without a lifeguard, this ain’t it. Totally excessive. I’m meeting w BPD and Rec and Park next week and plan to address this.

Wouldn't that flight some cost something insane like at least 10k? I'd swear I've even heard numbers like 100k an hour. Helis aren't cheap.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    A few weeks ago a report was leaked that the Seattle Police Department didn't have any officers assigned to investigating Sexual Assault cases.

This week, it was announced that a police watch group is looking into this to try and fix the problem so that sexual assault cases will be assigned to police and promptly solved.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/seattle-police-watchdog-investigating-leak-of-memo-detailing-sexual-assault-staffing-crisis/

Oh, wait, lol no. They are investigating who leaked the report instead. Not enough resources to investigate crimes, just barely enough resources to investigate the person that reported that they don't have enough resources to investigate crimes.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    But yes, keep telling me how police are valuable, and deserve to both exist and get more money.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Wouldn't that flight some cost something insane like at least 10k? I'd swear I've even heard numbers like 100k an hour. Helis aren't cheap.
    Nah it’s way cheaper than that. 500-1500 per flight hour for smaller one with pilot. For larger ones it can get spendy. But that’s not a very big helicopter.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So it only costs 500 an hour to pointlessly buzz kids with a copter.

This does not incline me further to them

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options

"The average salary for a Lifeguard is $14.20 per hour in Baltimore, MD."

So, about 35 hours of lifeguarding*, per hour of buzzing people with the helicopter**.

* and providing a service to the community
    ** to deny a service to the community

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

So, about 35 hours of lifeguarding*, per hour of buzzing people with the helicopter**.

But if the could hire lifeguards at $14.20 an hour they wouldn't have to buzz them. So call it 25 hours of lifeguarding.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

You'd need more then one and you might have to pay them a premium of some sort, depending on how good their labour position is. So for the equivalent of keeping the pool open every night you might be able to buzz them every like 3 days or the like. And that's assuming only 1 pool. If you could buzz multiple pools in the course of an hour it might work out cheaper to burn a bunch of fuel for no reason just to harass people every night. Imagine those savings!

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, in Arizona the police state just got a big boon to shut down media and accountability:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/09/1110659827/arizonas-law-limits-filming-police
    The law makes it illegal in Arizona to knowingly video police officers 8 feet (2.5 meters) or closer without an officer's permission.

Obviously this will be upheld by the Supreme Court because cell phones weren't around when the constitution was written. (*flames coming from the side of my face*)

• Options
    Meanwhile, in Arizona the police state just got a big boon to shut down media and accountability:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/09/1110659827/arizonas-law-limits-filming-police
    The law makes it illegal in Arizona to knowingly video police officers 8 feet (2.5 meters) or closer without an officer's permission.

Obviously this will be upheld by the Supreme Court because cell phones weren't around when the constitution was written. (*flames coming from the side of my face*)

Cops will simply approach anyone filming to inform them they cannot film them, and they will have come within 8 feet of them to tell them they can't film.