Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    One thing that was interesting to me was how much FFIX referenced FFVII. Hell in the beginning they even play the Shinra March music. And in the weapons shop in Lindblum there's a sword there that refers to Cloud. Even some of the music in the game felt like they were trying to recapture the magic in the music (which was successful, IMO).1

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    One thing that was interesting to me was how much FFIX referenced FFVII. Hell in the beginning they even play the Shinra March music. And in the weapons shop in Lindblum there's a sword there that refers to Cloud. Even some of the music in the game felt like they were trying to recapture the magic in the music (which was successful, IMO).1

They reference all the games in some form or another. Not that I could name any specific examples, but I know they do it.

edit: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IX_allusions

Well there you go, big ol' grand list of 'em.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

They reference all the games in some form or another. Not that I could name any specific examples, but I know they do it.

edit: https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_IX_allusions

Well there you go, big ol' grand list of 'em.

This is fun. Also yeah the connection between Zidane and Cloud is strong too.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I remember in an interview way back when where (I believe) Sakaguchi said that since FF9 was going to be the last single digit entry in the series they were going to make it a big celebration of everything that came before it. Which is why it's so dense with references.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed about the FFX HD Collection.

FFX HD looks incredibly janky. I'd much prefer to play with all the old art assets, since the new ones are jittery and weird.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

FFX HD looks incredibly janky. I'd much prefer to play with all the old art assets, since the new ones are jittery and weird.

I played it on the Vita where I think it looks great. I'd recommend that but it's not the most accessible way to play the game.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the FFX cutscene removal mod is designed for speedrunners, for reference :P

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    the FFX cutscene removal mod is designed for monsters, for reference :P

Fixed.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I played it on the Vita where I think it looks great. I'd recommend that but it's not the most accessible way to play the game.

i don't have a vita and i'm already in bevelle.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Might as well post this here too because I'm so goshdarn proud:

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Well THAT was the wrong screenshot.

• Options
    0sx44iq3jipe.png

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    0sx44iq3jipe.png

I feel like steam was just lobbing it up for SE to make a joke there, and they just watched it go by.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    0sx44iq3jipe.png

I feel like steam was just lobbing it up for SE to make a joke there, and they just watched it go by.

SE isn’t very up to date.

• Options
    Final Fantasy (X) Status: Dead Broke

I went to the cavern of the stolen fayth and i guess i did a bad job negotiating.... cause i'm dead broke now lmao.

• Options
    the gamefeel in FFX is so weird to me.

Like, just the overall damage numbers / enemy HP values feel odd somehow. Feels like the damage dealt is higher than usualy so the increased the HP values but that feels more like the lowered the cieling?

The Overdrives feel incredibly underpowered compared to, say, FFVII's limit breaks, FFVIII's limit breaks or FFIX Trances. I feel like some of these single-target end up going like x1.5 normal damage for most and that's a bit underwhelming. Lulu's is just...... i feel like i'd often do more damage with a single focused cast of Firaga than a Firaga Fury.

And Kimahri..... might be because i missed a lot of Blue Magic? IDK, it's like i don't really have any particularly interesting spells to use so i end up using just seed cannon most of the time.

Also.... the random targeting is annoying as hell.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever had an instance where Kimahri was useful for me unfortunately.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    My recollection is most of the Overdrives (and Kimahri, lol) do kinda suck. There are the usual things where characters have a "final" super move that does 16 hits or whatever, so you can really juice it.

Also, there's endgame stuff that will let you use Overdrives way more often

Also there's endgame gear that lets you Break Damage Limit. Not needed for standard game, but can be very useful for post game.

Also also, you can unlock and equip different methods of charging your overdrive. Some of those are much better at charging than others, depending on the fight and your gear.

Fry on
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Kimahri was designed to be a floater character, but that did him absolutely zero favors and I think was a failed experiment.

I want to think an FF that focuses on blue magic for a main character like FFIX did for steal would be fun.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Kimahri is pretty useless yeah.

FFX protip: take Yuna through Lulu's sphere grid after you get her through her own, she ends up being a way better black mage than Lulu

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Taking Yuna and Luna through Kimahris sphere enough to get lancet with each of them was really strong. Cast whatever spells you want and just drain off magic when you get low, no either required.

• Options
    Whelk wrote: »
    Kimahri was designed to be a floater character, but that did him absolutely zero favors and I think was a failed experiment.

I want to think an FF that focuses on blue magic for a main character like FFIX did for steal would be fun.

Heck I think Quina is a lot of fun too.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Taking Yuna and Luna through Kimahris sphere enough to get lancet with each of them was really strong. Cast whatever spells you want and just drain off magic when you get low, no either required.

Noted. :)

• Options

disagree. I dislike everything about them.

• Options

I think the idea of eating the enemy to get their ability was a great idea. Compared to Kimahri it was a lot more fun IMO.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I think the idea of eating the enemy to get their ability was a great idea. Compared to Kimahri it was a lot more fun IMO.

Just made it more of a hassle to get the blue magics imo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Lancet is my favorite way to get Blue Magic.

Eat is my least favorite.

It was always so dang fiddly.

• Options
    kime wrote: »

I guess I'm a little biased because I find Blue Magic to be the most boring of the magics in FF so I never used em. But in the previous FF games weren't you supposed to get hit by the magic before learning it? I always hated that. At least with Eat you could wittle them down and then learn it.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

I guess I'm a little biased because I find Blue Magic to be the most boring of the magics in FF so I never used em. But in the previous FF games weren't you supposed to get hit by the magic before learning it? I always hated that. At least with Eat you could wittle them down and then learn it.

i think if it was changed to be a "chance" of getting it from using an "eat" like ability that would be fine without having the monster be at a certain health level. But trying to guess if you are going to kill a monster or not with an attack and just having to defend until Quina gets the eat command again to see if they are at the right health level wasn't fun for me.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I like the blue magics that you can use at will, because there are always a few incredibly helpful ones in there (Bad Breath, Mighty Guard, etc).
    The ones that turned them into Limit Breaks or equivalent weren't so good (FF8 gets a pass for making it pretty easy to get a limit break when you wanted one).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've never been able to shake the lingering sense of Blue Magic as being that one set of skills with 90% useless dross and 10% game-breaking ridiculousness hidden being some awkward series of gestures that you'd never use otherwise (how would you like a spell that all-targets every ally, heals them to full as long as they're above half health, and cures status ailments, so long as you manage to pick out the one obscure enemy who almost never even uses the skill itself, and then think to mind-control it, or can Confuse on it and wait long enough for the RNG to favor you?).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I've never been able to shake the lingering sense of Blue Magic as being that one set of skills with 90% useless dross and 10% game-breaking ridiculousness hidden being some awkward series of gestures that you'd never use otherwise (how would you like a spell that all-targets every ally, heals them to full as long as they're above half health, and cures status ailments, so long as you manage to pick out the one obscure enemy who almost never even uses the skill itself, and then think to mind-control it, or can Confuse on it and wait long enough for the RNG to favor you?).

Pretty much how it usually works, yes. If you've got a guide next to you it breaks the game. If not, it's iffy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »

I think a part of that is devs make some blue magic weird and eclectic just for the sake of it. I also wonder that for a few of the games, if you're not following a guide there's no way of knowing what enemy attack will teach you blue magic, so you end up getting some spells more or less "randomly". So that gives all of it a kind of grab-bag mentality, where you may get something super useful or not.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Like a lot of things, I feel like they're specifically there for the people who want to break the game.
    Most of the games have skills/gear/materia/junction/refining setups that are absurdly OP for general gameplay, but that's okay because average players just following the plot aren't going to run into them.
    But for the ones who look deeper and find that this spell can insta-kill this boss because it's the only one with a level multiple of 5 or something, here's a treat for them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    It's less devs "making" blue magic, and more them just opening up most of the abilities that enemies already have. They might do some light balance adjustments for what players receive but its a ton of things to go over that likely don't get the same care and attention as player-specific tools.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »

i think if it was changed to be a "chance" of getting it from using an "eat" like ability that would be fine without having the monster be at a certain health level. But trying to guess if you are going to kill a monster or not with an attack and just having to defend until Quina gets the eat command again to see if they are at the right health level wasn't fun for me.

Having just played through it I can safely say that you get an idea of when an enemy is going to die the more you fight an enemy. Or you can use Scan. But I used Moguri Mod which let me play using turn based combat and 2X speed so it was really easy to hit them with Vivi or Fire (instead of Fira, etc) and wittle them down for the nom noms. I vastly prefer that over waiting ages for the enemy to actually cast the spell that you want them to cast.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    All I remember off the starting blitzball team is that the goalie is the single worst goalie in the League. Iirc he was decent at other positions, which is in character of Wakka
    Reznik wrote: »
    Kimahri is pretty useless yeah.

FFX protip: take Yuna through Lulu's sphere grid after you get her through her own, she ends up being a way better black mage than Lulu

Alternatively take Yuna through Aurons sphere grid. A lot of summon attacks key off Yunas abysmal str and still do decent damage. If her strength is not abysmal it gets pretty silly.

• Options
    yah, i'm liking FFX a lot less on this replay.

SO For instance... the weapon and armor customization.

I feel i'm given very few options worth anything and everything costs way too many items i don't have a steady supply of. I assume for the endgame it's going to be trivial to gather them (but time consuming).... so why give the option early in the game when it's useless?

also i'm reaching the end of the initial "zones" for some of the characters, which are blocked off with Lv. 3 Locks...... i've had a lot of luck in stealing 3 off a duo of bosses WHICH WAS NOT GUARANTEED... so i assume i'll have to spend a lot of sphere levels like manually driving back the the start? That'll suck. That's no good. All because the game is stingy as heck with special sphere items.

It's cool how they made a classic and everything but it aged poorly, lemme tell you hwhat.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You will hit a point where the game throws enough lvl 3 spheres at you to move your whole party through those gates. You might have leveled a bit more than was anticipated.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    You will hit a point where the game throws enough lvl 3 spheres at you to move your whole party through those gates. You might have leveled a bit more than was anticipated.

maybe i overleveled Auron specifically.

In my defense.... he stronk.

This discussion has been closed.