As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 7, Monaco: Merc develops odd growths, Russell perplexed

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Man I really wish they'd go back to smaller cars.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Man I really wish they'd go back to smaller cars.

189ae741bfcdb18f23afeccd3604d864

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Serious response: I would love if retro-F1 was the way battery powered racing went. Imagine the future of electrified racing looked like F1 did in the 60s?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    F1 planning to split race schedule into regionalised calendar
    Formula One has confirmed its commitment to introducing a regionalised calendar in future seasons. As part of its goal of reaching net zero carbon by 2030 the sport will attempt to rationalise a calendar that is currently inefficient and detrimental in its environmental impact.

The report confirmed that “planning for a future calendar regionalisation was under way”. It is expected the new schedule would see the sport compete in four regions, each hosting its own “season” comprised of the Middle East, Europe, the Americas and east Asia/Australia.

The plans will likely be welcomed by the teams as they entail a cost saving in freight fees and will reduce travel for personnel during a lengthy season. There is, however, no timeline as yet for its implementation. It will take time, likely several years, as F1 requires existing contracts, which specify the time of year meetings are held, to end. There will also be negotiations required around races such as Abu Dhabi which pays a premium to be the last GP of the season.

Not before time. It's even come up in this thread once or twice. The existing contracts are a headache that mean this'll take far longer than it should but at least the idea is in motion.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's still the FIA, so 50/50 shot of it being legit vs a cheap way to get good publicity without actually doing anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Jazz wrote: »
    Formula One has confirmed its commitment to introducing a regionalised calendar in future seasons. As part of its goal of reaching net zero carbon by 2030 the sport will attempt to rationalise a calendar that is currently inefficient and detrimental in its environmental impact.

The report confirmed that “planning for a future calendar regionalisation was under way”. It is expected the new schedule would see the sport compete in four regions, each hosting its own “season” comprised of the Middle East, Europe, the Americas and east Asia/Australia.

The plans will likely be welcomed by the teams as they entail a cost saving in freight fees and will reduce travel for personnel during a lengthy season. There is, however, no timeline as yet for its implementation. It will take time, likely several years, as F1 requires existing contracts, which specify the time of year meetings are held, to end. There will also be negotiations required around races such as Abu Dhabi which pays a premium to be the last GP of the season.

Not before time. It's even come up in this thread once or twice. The existing contracts are a headache that mean this'll take far longer than it should but at least the idea is in motion.

While this makes a lot of sense, for the logistical reasons, from a North American perspective having the handful of nearby races spread out over several months was nice.

Like Miami in early may, Montreal in Early June, Austin mid October CDMX end of October, Vegas mid Nov(lol no one can afford Vegas)

Is a lot more appealing than those 5 races getting spread over like a 7 or 8 week window.

And also probably would help jeep attendance up(even if everything is selling out atm) I could see myself doing Canada in June +Austin or MX in October in a year, but not if they are only 3 weeks apart.

And I don't know if there is a window where being in Montreal one weekend and Vegas/Miami/Austin/CDMX the next doesn't mean hellish weather at one of them. 26 degrees of latitude difference is roughly Copenhagen to Marrakech.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Serious response: I would love if retro-F1 was the way battery powered racing went. Imagine the future of electrified racing looked like F1 did in the 60s?

dont think there's a way to get convincing looking 60's style cars with the safety requirements

that aside, I do wonder if a purely electric race car has different properties with respect to one other distinct aspect of 60s cars.... a lack of drag...

with combustion engines its pretty straightforward.... you want a lot of power to drive your car so you can put a lot of aero to push the car down... you don't *want* drag per se, but its inevitable, and modern F1 cars are basically rolling parachutes...

but if you just have a simple electric motor and your cars power and range are defined purely by the weight of the battery... is there some sort of crossover where you're better off with less aero so you can save battery weight... *probably* not but that's a curious engineering question I have

even still, the huge amount of aero on the car is also a safety feature which they probably will never get rid of...

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Bottas is spending the offseason in Australia, with mixed results

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

While this makes a lot of sense, for the logistical reasons, from a North American perspective having the handful of nearby races spread out over several months was nice.

Like Miami in early may, Montreal in Early June, Austin mid October CDMX end of October, Vegas mid Nov(lol no one can afford Vegas)

Is a lot more appealing than those 5 races getting spread over like a 7 or 8 week window.

And also probably would help jeep attendance up(even if everything is selling out atm) I could see myself doing Canada in June +Austin or MX in October in a year, but not if they are only 3 weeks apart.

And I don't know if there is a window where being in Montreal one weekend and Vegas/Miami/Austin/CDMX the next doesn't mean hellish weather at one of them. 26 degrees of latitude difference is roughly Copenhagen to Marrakech.

Yeah, curious to see how they'll square that circle. I can see the American leg in particular being split into two.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Miami, Montreal on one leg. Vegas, Texas, Mexico, Brazil on the other.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    They don't have to create the most minimal, perfect route. They just have to make improvements on the existing one where they're literally running around the globe constantly.

For example, at the start of 2022 they went from Saudi Arabia to Australia and then all the way to Italy, then to the United States and then back to Europe in Spain. If all they did was move Spain to be before the U.S., that would already help. Any reduction to the number of transcontinental flights (or flights in general) the teams have to take is a step in the right direction.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

McLaren
    @McLarenF1
    ·
    10m
    We can confirm the appointment of Andrea Stella as our new F1 Team Principal with immediate effect, with Andreas Seidl leaving the team for a new challenge.

Read more. 👇
    https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/mclaren-formula-1-appoints-andrea-stella-new-team-principal-immediate-effect/

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Seidl to Alfa, Vasseur to Ferrari, who-knows to Williams.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So its silly season for team principles, huh?

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wait I thought Zak Brown was the McLaren team principal?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    CEO

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ohhh. Just a very involved one, got it.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Vasseur to Ferrari is an impressive move for Ferrari, I am pretty sure Vasseur is well respected in F1 and as far as I know his track record is strong. Sauber was nearly a joke when he arrived and now they're a decent mid-pack team with occasional flashes of speed, and most importantly: very little drama

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I had it pointed out to me that all but 2 Ferrari team principal were Italian (plus 1 swiss and 1 monocoan) with a vowel as the last letter of their last name. The 2 with a consonant as the last letter of their last name is Jean Trodt from 1993 to 2007, and now Vasseur.

Get your bets in now, Ferrari is going to be good.

• Options
    Still won't matter unless they change the strategy team.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I think I'd take Zak's style of involvement over how Ferrari's CEO's/chairs tend to involve themselves. Not that it's a choice between only those two, but holy hell can Ferrari be goofy!

I just wanna take a moment to chuckle at being told to do anything by this guy:
    aFmZEHu.jpg

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    When your last name is Ferrari, being ostentatious is just one of those things you do without trying

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

They finished second to an incredibly dominant Red Bull team, not sure how what could have done much to change that. Still could be worse, they could have made no misatkes and have the best driver in the universe (tm) and finished third.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Veevee wrote: »
    When your last name is Ferrari, being ostentatious is just one of those things you do without trying

But it's not even the Ferrari family anymore! His last name is Elkann; his dad married into the family that owns/owned Fiat (the Agnellis).

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Todt/Brawn succeeded because they were able to get the Ferrari political meddlers to pound sand. Nobody else will be successful unless they are able to separate themselves from the bullshit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Schumacher has picked up a reserve driver spot at Merc

Nice that he's managed to keep a foot in the door, will be interesting if he can make a comeback in 24, as I do think he was progressing

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Happy to see it!
    Makes sense for Merc since they were short on reserve drivers for next year, and Mick has a good amount of experience and enough pace to earn a spot in F1. There's also the PR boost with Mick being generally well liked, german and the family ties as well. I can't really think of any better choices for a reserve role.

For Mick, Mercedes have generally been good to their drivers and given them what opportunities they can. The environment will also be much better than the toxic one at Haas. Steiner is a pretty terrible team principal and was very quick to publically berate and scapegoat the drivers (or Mick at least, criticism was often one sided). I consider them the worst run team in F1 and an absolutely terrible place to develop drivers.

Hope it works out in the long run. I don't think anyone expects Mick to be a WDC class driver, but I'd still like to see him get another shot in a better team.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Was Ocon a Merc reserve driver between Racing Point and Alpine?

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah he was a reserve driver for a year for Mercedes

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Mc zany wrote: »

They finished second to an incredibly dominant Red Bull team, not sure how what could have done much to change that. Still could be worse, they could have made no misatkes and have the best driver in the universe (tm) and finished third.

That was often inspite of the strategy team. Sainz started ignoring them at times at the end. They made terrible tire decisions often as well as pit decisions that gave up positions they could have had a much closer race with Red Bull at times.

never die on
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »

That was often inspite of the strategy team. Sainz started ignoring them at times at the end. They made terrible tire decisions often as well as pit decisions that gave up positions they could have had a much closer race with Red Bull at times.

Right - the only reason Red Bull looked "dominant" is because Ferrari shot themselves in the foot so often. The Fuck-up Breakdown was something like:

3 races due to Charles
    5 races due to the car
    10 races due to strategy/decisions

And that's just counting the races where it was clear where the biggest problem was. Really, it felt like the majority of races they had the wrong strategy or made poor decisions and it was only due to the drivers and the cars that they managed to score points.

If they just bring down the number of bonehead moments to a handful instead of every fucking race then all of the sudden Charles is actually winning races and making Max a lot more nervous.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I think even excluding Ferraris mistakes the Red Bull was consistently faster throughout the year.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    I think even excluding Ferraris mistakes the Red Bull was consistently faster throughout the year.

But with less Ferrari mistakes, Red Bull wouldn't have been so utterly dominant. I don't doubt RB and Verstappen would celebrate the championship even if Ferrari were perfect. It just would have been later in the season and closer in the standings, is all.

• Options
    Yeah Max was winning this year, no doubt. That doesn’t excuse the Ferrari team’s terrible strategy calls this year, which while even if unlikely they would have won constructor’s championship, would have been a lot closer.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Oh wow, thats awful - he was just tweeting a few hours ago about his daughter's Audi Quattro rebuild too. RIP Ken.

This on top of the news of Jeremy Renner's accident today (as of now he's undergone surgery but is still in critical condition) is extra awful.

And part of me is going "these things come in threes" so I'm dreading more bad news soon... ugh. 2023 not getting off to a good start.

Edit: maybe Damar Hamlin is the third. Echoes of Denmark's Christian Eriksen in the Euros last year in 2021. Hope he and Renner make full recoveries - as Eriksen did.

Jazz on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    awww that's super awful. I have a low grade para-social relationship with his brand.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    awww that's super awful. I have a low grade para-social relationship with his brand.

Yeah same here. I opened my Instagram this morning and the first like 10 posts were condolences for him. One post being from his account about his daughters Quattro.

Awful news.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Cadillac not exactly a car brand I associate with racing.

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Cadillac has been active in IMSA sports car racing in the prototype class since 2016/2017. Quite successfully too having won multiple Rolex 24 hours and championships.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.