As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

White Fragility in action: the Elon Musk story

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    ah, the good ol' days

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I certainly assume Jay sells exceptionally terrible pesticide laden M-39 cartel weed that had somebody's brains splattered all over it at some point

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Elon Musk tweets like an old person who has spent way too much time on the internet but still sucks at it in every way

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Zoe Schiffer
    NEW: Elon Musk is threatening to sue Twitter employees who leak confidential information to the press. He's asking staffers to sign a pledge indicating they've understood. Here's the email:

As evidenced by the many detailed leaks of confidential Twitter information, a few people at our company continue to act in a manner contrary to the company's interests and in violation of their NDA. 1/

This will be said only once: If you clearly and deliberately violate the NDA that you signed when you joined, you accept liability to the full extent of the law & Twitter will immediately seek damages. 2/

Musk says occasional slip ups are understandable "but breaking your word by sending detailed info to the media" with the intent to harm Twitter "will receive the response it deserves."

Employees have by 5pm today to respond.

(I am choosing not to post the actual email as it's clear Twitter is doing everything it can to catch sources)

If you're a tech worker considering sharing information with the media, you have rights! The Tech Worker Handbook is a good place to start, and note that all conversations with me and Casey can begin completely off the record: https://techworkerhandbook.org/legal/working-with-the-press/

tl;dr: Musk sends an email demanding employees sign loyalty pledge not to leak information to the press. Email is immediately leaked to the press.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Only Musk is allowed to leak confidential Twitter information to the press conspiracy nuts.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I'm no employment law expert, but it sure does seem like "Sign this unprecedented NDA or you're fired" is going to fly afoul of labor laws in several jurisdictions in which Twitter has employees.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I'm no employment law expert, but it sure does seem like "Sign this unprecedented NDA or you're fired" is going to fly afoul of labor laws in several jurisdictions in which Twitter has employees.

"Sign this contract by 3:35pm today stating that you renounce all national citizenships and become the sole property of the sovereign nation-state Muskylvania."

Gim on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Can't be any worse than his "sign on to be Hardcore within 24 hours or get fired" ultimatum

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Can't be any worse than his "sign on to be Hardcore within 24 hours or get fired" ultimatum

You give him too little credit

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Zoe Schiffer
    NEW: Elon Musk is threatening to sue Twitter employees who leak confidential information to the press. He's asking staffers to sign a pledge indicating they've understood. Here's the email:

As evidenced by the many detailed leaks of confidential Twitter information, a few people at our company continue to act in a manner contrary to the company's interests and in violation of their NDA. 1/

This will be said only once: If you clearly and deliberately violate the NDA that you signed when you joined, you accept liability to the full extent of the law & Twitter will immediately seek damages. 2/

Musk says occasional slip ups are understandable "but breaking your word by sending detailed info to the media" with the intent to harm Twitter "will receive the response it deserves."

Employees have by 5pm today to respond.

(I am choosing not to post the actual email as it's clear Twitter is doing everything it can to catch sources)

If you're a tech worker considering sharing information with the media, you have rights! The Tech Worker Handbook is a good place to start, and note that all conversations with me and Casey can begin completely off the record: https://techworkerhandbook.org/legal/working-with-the-press/

tl;dr: Musk sends an email demanding employees sign loyalty pledge not to leak information to the press. Email is immediately leaked to the press.

musk is a free speech absolutist, everyone

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    "Free speech for me, not for thee"

• Options

He is like one step away from just posting QAnon "groomer" nonsense accusations against former employees

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I know this is the internet and most of the people on it are barely literate but man his reading of that argument is bad.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce
    I don't know much about Yoel Roth but the article that he links in his "Can high school students ever meaningfully consent to sex with their teachers?" tweet makes me think that he likely is a pretty shitty person.

(Teachers should never engage in relationships with their students, including in college. Just because someone hits 18 and it becomes technically legal, doesn't mean that the power dynamics aren’t far too screwed up for it to ever be a good idea.)

Edit: And to be clear, doesn't mean I agree with Musk's response but, there is always room for everyone involved in a situation to be shitty.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    "See, I was totally justified in firing him because he's a pedo; charge him, dox him, and don't let him sue us."

("Also, 'queer young adults' like my ungrateful little [string of slurs] deserve nothing, including safe connections.")

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jack: I believe Elon Musk is uniquely suited to carry the responsibility of owning Twitter

Musk: Before I got here Twitter was selling children to pedophiles

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    good thing Trump wasn't interested in coming back to Twitter; his Qanon conspiracy rants might have conflicted with Musk's Qanon conspiracy rants.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I don't know much about Yoel Roth but the article that he links in his "Can high school students ever meaningfully consent to sex with their teachers?" tweet makes me think that he likely is a pretty shitty person.

(Teachers should never engage in relationships with their students, including in college. Just because someone hits 18 and it becomes technically legal, doesn't mean that the power dynamics aren’t far too screwed up for it to ever be a good idea.)

Edit: And to be clear, doesn't mean I agree with Musk's response but, there is always room for everyone involved in a situation to be shitty.

I believe the point of the linked article was "no, HS students can never meaningfully consent to sex with their teachers"

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce
    Ardol wrote: »

I believe the point of the linked article was "no, HS students can never meaningfully consent to sex with their teachers"

That’s not the takeaway I took from the last sentence, personally:

“It's easy enough to understand the frustration of the dissenting judge in this case, who wrote that the majority opinion "does not, ultimately make sense."”

(The majority opinion being that the teacher should be charged with sexual misconduct.)

Also, this is exactly how the article should read:

Title: Student-teacher sex: When is it OK?

Body: Never.

The end.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Jack: I believe Elon Musk is uniquely suited to carry the responsibility of owning Twitter

Something about the rich and famous learning about the Scorpion and the Frog is very amusing to me.

I mean despite the fact that they ruthlessly crushed everyone on the way up, they seem to think these informal agreements will work out. That they know Bob, and Bob wouldn't attempt to destroy them in a vain attempt to become ever more rich. Even though they became rich via the same means, and stepped on plenty of Bobs on the way up.

Maybe they're so used to being the Scorpion they never think they could be lied to, that they could get the short end of the stick. IDK, but it's very amusing to see the rich learn that they are not the lion amongst sheep they thought themselves to be.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Elon Musk's financial solvency

I've seen it pointed out by a lot of people that like... it has to be a bad idea to be talking a bunch about how the company you now own has until recently (and probably currently) been doing horrific and illegal things.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    IIRC Jack still owns a lot of Twitter's stock, probably isn't thrilled about Elon's management, the hit job, or the fact that his stock value is plummeting.

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    A head of lettuce
    Ardol wrote: »

That’s not the takeaway I took from the last sentence, personally:

“It's easy enough to understand the frustration of the dissenting judge in this case, who wrote that the majority opinion "does not, ultimately make sense."”

(The majority opinion being that the teacher should be charged with sexual misconduct.)

Also, this is exactly how the article should read:

Title: Student-teacher sex: When is it OK?

Body: Never.

The end.

I read the article as clarifying the legal question that no it isn't allowed and then looking at the logic of this particular case. The frustration comment in the kicker makes a bit sense in that the logic that the majority found that a 19 year old HS drop out has the capacity to consent to sex with their former teacher but a currently enrolled student lacks the capacity to do so. However that seems irrelevant to me because to the law bans the actions of the teacher and not the student.

I took the quote from a judge in PA to reflect the view of the author:
    A high school student who is assigned to a teacher's class does not have the capacity to welcome that teacher's physical sexual conduct. Under these circumstances, the teacher's conduct is deemed unwelcomed. Unwelcome sexual conduct constitutes a sexually hostile educational environment, a form of sexual harassment. And sexual harassment constitutes discrimination on the basis of sex.

But yes the answer to the actual question in the title is easily answered with a simple: Never

Ardol on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    IIRC Jack still owns a lot of Twitter's stock, probably isn't thrilled about Elon's management, the hit job, or the fact that his stock value is plummeting.

Jack owns nothing of Twitter. The purchase required Elon ( and backers ) to buy all stocks. Twitter isn’t on the stock market anymore as it is privately owned now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

Jack owns nothing of Twitter. The purchase required Elon ( and backers ) to buy all stocks. Twitter isn’t on the stock market anymore as it is privately owned now.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/tech/twitter-jack-dorsey-elon-musk/index.html
    Dorsey rolled over his more than 18 million shares in Twitter (a roughly 2.4% stake) into the new Musk-owned company as an equity investor, rather than receiving a cash payout, according to a Thursday securities filing.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/tech/twitter-jack-dorsey-elon-musk/index.html
    Dorsey rolled over his more than 18 million shares in Twitter (a roughly 2.4% stake) into the new Musk-owned company as an equity investor, rather than receiving a cash payout, according to a Thursday securities filing.

Interesting, didn’t realize he rolled his stocks into the private investing. I wonder if he has voting rights, or is just in effect one of the people loaning Elon money now.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce

Attempt #2 starts Monday

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    lol

lmao

• Options
    I love that it costs more on iPhone. I love that everything is coming soon, and even what's coming soon is absolutely worthless.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    "Cancel culture is out of control!

Also the guy who criticized me is a pedo who should be arrested."

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The upcharge for iOS isn't shocking. Iirc there's some amazon stuff you basically just have to buy through their site only.

What's funny is that he so obviously lost, the only option is to "punish" iOS users

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Who is willing to buy it fore $8 that wouldn't buy it for $11 through the website?

The only reason to still have it for $8 is to try to keep a dumb promise you made without thinking through things like profit margins

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Blue tick is just a verified phone number hey?

How hard is it to fake a phone number?

Blake T on
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    pe09gklh6mh8.jpg

Like every picture of my dog is this because he is LAZY

But also is GOOD BOI

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    The upcharge for iOS isn't shocking. Iirc there's some amazon stuff you basically just have to buy through their site only.

What's funny is that he so obviously lost, the only option is to "punish" iOS users

It's just so weird! It's not a profitable operation no matter what, so make it an even $5. Or $100. Or $1.75. It does absolutely nothing to the bottom line because there's no possible way for this base of paying users to be large enough to affect anything. If every single current user pays, it will make amount to significantly less than the new debt payments. And who the fuck would pay for literally nothing but the opportunity for people to bully you online in a new way?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Couldn't you just buy it for $8 on the web and....then use it on your iPhone?

Also I feel like Musk and friends are getting pretty close to defaming that Yoel Roth guy. Dude hasn't even tweeted since he left twitter.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Couldn't you just buy it for $8 on the web and....then use it on your iPhone?
    That's the point.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A head of lettuce
    Kind of weird that he doesn’t have an elevated price tier if you do it through the Android app, since Google also takes a cut, just like Apple.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Kind of weird that he doesn’t have an elevated price tier if you do it through the Android app, since Google also takes a cut, just like Apple.

Wait... he doesn't know, is that it? Good lord.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    He knows Google takes a cut but he didn't publicly pick a fight with them over the pricing so he can just stay quiet on that point.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.