As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Harmonix] New Rock Band peripherals are coming!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    A boop, Fuser's servers getting sunset has been delayed until early 2023! Game is still getting delisted on Monday, but it looks like there might be an opportunity to get the online achievements banged out in time. I'm gonna try!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2022
    Rock Band 4 will require an Epic Account to play online, view or post to leaderboards, or engage in Rivals and the Taunt system starting January 15th. Accounts must be linked to Epic to continue usage, and all your leaderboard scores will remain hidden until you do so.

https://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/epic-account-linking

In addition, they are taking every previous Rock Band offline that had online, so Rock Band 1, 2, 3, and Blitz will no longer have online multiplayer on PS3 as of January 24th. It is likely the Xbox versions will continue to work since those use the global 360 Live backend, but on both platforms, the in-game stores will no longer work and the leaderboards will be gone. 360/PS3 DLC will remain available via the console stores. 360 Pro Upgrades will remain available since web links exist for all of them, but unfortunately Sony only ever made web links for like.. five of them so Rock Band 3 Pro On PS3 is basically delisting on that date.

This also means Blitz is truly dead, even if it is playable the ability to have powerups is never coming back now.

It should also be noted that all this stuff was in various states of not working (I believe RB1's store has been dead on PS3 for quite a while) so it's more like.. yeah, they're just calling it a day on the old Rock Central tech stack.

It should be noted that this is the first big Rock Band 4 client update in 5 years (it's just been Rivals asset additions since then) so Epic clearly cares about Rock Band 4 enough to update it with a whole new account system to continue to be able to release DLC and online multiplayer for it, and this is the first time they've actually updated it and treated it as their own since the Harmonix purchase. Shame about the legacy Rock Bands largely biting the dust but big companies historically don't like running two parallel sign in systems. It should be noted that we've also always technically had secondary "Rock Central" accounts, they were just autogenerated by Harmonix and locked to your profile and console. What's interesting to me is that the linking process lets you link both Xbox and PS RB4 to the same account.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Rock Band starts off 2023 with an RBN 10-pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9-h2H-byvc

The Agonist - “Thank You, Pain”
    Children of Nova - “Second Sight Blackout”
    Children of Nova - “The Fall of Aphonia”
    Children of Nova - “We Collide”
    Despised Icon - “Day of Mourning”
    Esprit D’Air - “Shizuku”
    Iwrestledabearonce - “You Ain’t No Family”
    Jonathan Coulton ft. Sara Quin - “Still Alive”
    Jukebox the Ghost - “Half Crazy”
    Nonpoint - “Crazy”

Personally never expected to see the Sara Quin version of Still Alive to come back, and the "J-Rock" genre tag finally appears in RB4 since RB3 and will appear over on Playstation for the first time, period

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Good news everyone!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/10pdmzs/xbox_one_instruments/

bookreader has announced and released an update to the Roll Limitless that now allows use of PS3, Wii, 360 instruments and MIDI drumkits and Arduino guitars on Xbox RB4! No more need for 700$ adapters!

But wait, there's more! He has also linked and released a guide to make a DIY version with cheap components (30$ then whatever you want to spend on USB cables) to turn your computer into a giant Roll Limitless without having to buy the actual hardware!

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Good news everyone!

bookreader has announced and released an update to the Roll Limitless that now allows use of PS3, Wii, 360 instruments and MIDI drumkits and Arduino guitars on Xbox RB4! No more need for 700$ adapters!

But wait, there's more! He has also linked and released a guide to make a DIY version with cheap components (30$ then whatever you want to spend on USB cables) to turn your computer into a giant Roll Limitless without having to buy the actual hardware!

Oh good I'm sure that will in no way make the Playstation instruments even worse to find oh wait

On the plus side maybe in a few years I'll have a down payment on a car in PS3 instruments I guess :tongue:

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Good news everyone!

holy shit I can use my anniversary fender strat again omg omg omg

• Options
    There's a Rock Band and/or Guitar Hero survey that looks interesting out there. Should fill it out. For Reasons.

https://corexmspdg3kf9drcl7d.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3HFTlwbcovdLlae

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Guess I sold my 700 adapter at around the right time, then. Never did buy an electronic drum kit though.

• Options
    https://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/welcome-to-season-31-take-out

Season Passes are back, they already have up to season 40 planned (31 is the next one coming up) so Rock Band is getting DLC for at least the next two years!

• Options
    https://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/welcome-to-season-31-take-out

Season Passes are back, they already have up to season 40 planned (31 is the next one coming up) so Rock Band is getting DLC for at least the next two years!

That's actually pretty awesome news. I was legit worried the buyout was going to end up being the final nail in the coffin.

Also @Hahnsoo1 is a gentleman and a scholar. He sent me two essentially mint condition PS4 guitars that arrived today for just the cost of shipping and if I'm ever out his way I'm giving him a bear hug that may accidentally stray into mildly uncomfortable territory.

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/18j2shu/new_pdp_guitars_for_playstation_and_xbox/

We are getting new Rock Band guitars from PDP.

They confirmed on their Twitter they'll talk about them in January.

This is not a drill.

I repeat: *this is not a drill*

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/18j2shu/new_pdp_guitars_for_playstation_and_xbox/

We are getting new Rock Band guitars from PDP.

They confirmed on their Twitter they'll talk about them in January.

This is not a drill.

I repeat: *this is not a drill*

"WE'RE GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER!"

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Oh thank fuck

Now the only question is how many to I buy and how do I store them :tongue:

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Like I literally have a friend who has Rock Band DLC rivalling value of a car, and space to host full on rock band play sessions, who is LOSING HIS SHIT over this

(edit: positively)

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    That is fantastic news! Here's hoping it keeps the platform healthy for years to come.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Please, I need new drums too. :sweat:

the second they announce new drums I am buying 5 kits just to be safe

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Please, I need new drums too. :sweat:

There's plastic drums chart data in the Fortnite Festival MIDIs so it's probably a safe bet drums will follow at some point.

• Options
    also, finally, Baker Street!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hknz2bgwg

• Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    As someone who has been contemplating how to rip apart the only two working guitars we own to somehow revitalize them while avoiding ruining them completely: this is astounding news.

Also, a question: we have quite a lot invested in DLC on our Xbox One series nothing (whatever the original one was called). But it also seems to be getting long in the teeth and I've been noticing perf issues when playing RB (noticeable repeated frame stutters). Been thinking of getting a series X (since I still want a physical drive) and from what I've read you can migrate over and keep all your DLC purchases, but...we have a lot. Can anyone confirm a successful migration process?

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I had a launch Xbox One and had RB4 and all my DLC on an external drive. When I got my Series X the migration process was literally “unplug the drive from the Xbone, plug it into the Series X, done.”

I could move the game and dlc into the internal drive, but I left it on the external since Series X Enhanced games need to be on the internal drive and I was keeping that space for them.

Rock Band loads so fast on the Series X that I don’t even have time to read the tips on the loading screens anymore.

• Options
    Do you think I need an external then to do the transfer? RB is basically the only thing we play on the XBox so I don't need to save space for anything else :~)

"Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Do you think I need an external then to do the transfer? RB is basically the only thing we play on the XBox so I don't need to save space for anything else :~)

Honestly, I'd just buy a fat/nice external drive (SSD IMO) and then you can leave it plugged into the Series for storage of anything that's not an X-enhanced title. (BC games, etc, etc) Internal storage gets kind of tight, when shit like Forza is >140gb.

You don't need it; Xboxes support network transfer, but if it's already on an external drive the transfer really is "unplug, plug".

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »

Honestly, I'd just buy a fat/nice external drive (SSD IMO) and then you can leave it plugged into the Series for storage of anything that's not an X-enhanced title. (BC games, etc, etc) Internal storage gets kind of tight, when shit like Forza is >140gb.
    Good to know, but doesn't apply to me. Our XBox has only ever done three things:
    -Rock Band (about 80%)
    -watching DVDs or blu-rays when the internet is on the fritz (19%)
    -playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided before they finally released it on the Mac (1%)
    dporowski wrote: »
    You don't need it; Xboxes support network transfer, but if it's already on an external drive the transfer really is "unplug, plug".

Excellent to know, thank you!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    As someone who has been contemplating how to rip apart the only two working guitars we own to somehow revitalize them while avoiding ruining them completely: this is astounding news.

Also, a question: we have quite a lot invested in DLC on our Xbox One series nothing (whatever the original one was called). But it also seems to be getting long in the teeth and I've been noticing perf issues when playing RB (noticeable repeated frame stutters). Been thinking of getting a series X (since I still want a physical drive) and from what I've read you can migrate over and keep all your DLC purchases, but...we have a lot. Can anyone confirm a successful migration process?
    I can't speak to the XBox experience, but I was in a similar position on the PlayStation side. I have some DLC dating back to the original Rock Band on PS3. I have been able to migrate all but 5 songs to the PS5. I'm told that my five "problem" songs are actually a PlayStation networking issue and I should call Sony to resolve, but I'm happy with the 600+ songs that were able to be successfully imported.

26904.png
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    The party's over:

https://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/an-update-on-rock-band-4-dlc
    An Update on Rock Band 4 DLC

Hi Friends,

After over 8 years of weekly Rock Band 4 DLC releases, we’re here to let you know that January 25 will be the last DLC release of the RB4 era. All other live services will continue as normal, including Rivals seasons, online play, and everything else.

Working in support of the Rock Band community has been a high point in my professional life - wading through the thousands of song requests we get, working through what songs to pursue and release, it’s all hard work but also really satisfying.

Taking a longer look back, I see the Rock Band DLC catalog as a huge achievement in persistence and commitment - over the years we’ve cleared, authored and released nearly 3,000 songs as DLC and well over 3,000 if you include all the game soundtracks. That’s wild. Many of you reading this own a good chunk of this content and we remain committed to protecting that investment - to be very clear, you can play the songs you own within Rock Band 4 for as long as you like.

Looking ahead, the Harmonix team has been hard at work over the last two years to develop Fortnite Festival, which brings rhythm action gaming (and more) to the Fortnite ecosystem. It’s free to play, we have a rotating selection of songs that you can play (for free) anytime. If you are a fan of the rhythm game category, Fortnite Festival is the place to be; and with support for RB4 instruments coming, this is not the time to hang up your guitars just yet….

We deliberated long and hard about how to frame the last blast of RB DLC of this era. The last two weeks will feature some tear jerkers that sum up our feelings about this moment. We thank you for your commitment to and passion for this wonderful game.

Long Live Rock and Roll,

Daniel

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Sad news, but this went on way longer than I ever dreamed.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited January 18
    8 years is a pretty good run. Harmonix should be commended.

There's some irony in finally getting new guitars again and DLC ends at the same time.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    RIP

I hope they maintain it for a long long time - my xbox is basically just a Rockband machine now.

• Options
    Yeah it lasted longer than I thought it would

But for it to end so Harmonix can focus on, of all things, fucking Fornite content?

Putting another big check next to "Fuck Epic"

• Options
    edited January 19
    Eh. DLC would have ended a lot sooner if Epic hadn't bought Harmonix. And we're only getting new guitars because of Fortnite Festival.

I think we'll see another Rock Band if Microsoft makes a new GH. At this point RB4 is probably so far back tech-wise they're just finally moving on. MS and Sony won't even let them patch it anymore.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah it lasted longer than I thought it would

But for it to end so Harmonix can focus on, of all things, fucking Fornite content?

Putting another big check next to "Fuck Epic"

I know most of us here don't care about Fortnite, but Fortnite is huge. This is a massive shot in the arm for Harmonix - they get marquee exposure to a massive audience, hopefully priming them for whatever Harmonix does next.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RB4 is suddenly 10$ USD on PSN. It's not marked as a sale price so likely permanent, and will probably be on the Xbox version soon as well.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP8802-CUSA02084_00-RB4RIVALSGAMEBDL

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I only ever bought RB games and instruments off Craigslist for the ps3. Could I use that drums for that on the ps4?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I already own RB4 on disc, but for $10, might as well not have to bother with the disc anymore. I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, and actually doing multiplayer is an extreme rarity, but I still boot it up once or twice a year to do some solo guitar stuff.

• Options
    And here's the final DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INHWzHuoLo

"Send Me On My Way" - Rusted Root
    "Wherever You Will Go" - The Calling
    "Thank You" - Dido

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Just give me a single bundle with everything. I'm old and will buy it for nostalgia

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      edited January 31
      https://www.ign.com/articles/pdps-new-wireless-guitar-controller-works-with-rock-band-4-and-eventually-fortnite-festival

No price point yet, pick guard is removable with a dongle storage compartment, 35 hour internal battery, joystick on the back of the neck for menu navigation, releases in Spring, fully RB4 compatible, headphone support

edit: Playstation version has a PS4/PS5 mode switch and supports PC according to the box and has a dongle. the Xbox version doesn't mention PC but it isn't shown if it uses a dongle. if it doesn't i imagine you'd just by the Xbox One wireless adapter.

FyreWulff on
    • Options
      streamers already have production units, Xbox has a dongle now too

https://www.tiktok.com/@acai28/video/7330355627811769630?_r=1&_t=8jV6hyXcsLG&social_sharing=1