As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All [birds], all the time!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The initial statement from the cooperative was "what's there to discuss? just stop doing it", so that went about as well as expected.

fuck 'em

feed the birds, tuppence a bag yo yo yo

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    He also said he would consider it "purely provocative" if I fed the birds just outside of the cooperative's boundaries. I did not dignify that with an answer, but he did increase the likelihood that I will to it daily (as opposed to occasionally) by a significant amount, which I also did not bother to vocalize.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I drove past a roadkill'd deer this morning, and then shortly afterwards, I had to scooch forward because a bunch of crows were just hanging out in the middle of the road and not moving.

on my way back, they had discovered the deer, so a line of crows sat on the guardrail and watched me carefully to make sure I didn't try and steal their deer.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    well you didn't steal the deer, did you? seems like it worked

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i desperately want a rescue cockatoo or parrot. i think my many cats may be a problem but who can say

also my winter crow flock is back for their usual dog food breakfast, a murder of 30 strong on a good day and i love them all.

i have named every single one their name is CROW

Obligatory.

I volunteer at a parrot rescue a couple of times a month. I have been bitten many times, by birds of every size. I don't handle the cockatoos anymore. They're empathetic, high-strung, and unpredictable, and their beaks are like chisels. Once, another volunteer had a cockatoo out when I dropped a pair of pliers, making a loud noise. The cockatoo jumped off the other volunteer to the floor, charged me, and tried to climb up my leg to attack me. I had to (gently) shake him off my shoe and then leave the room.

The worst bite I've gotten so far was from a cockatoo who was well-socialized and friendly - he was actually the rescue owner's bird, so he got plenty of attention. That particular day he was cranky because another cockatoo, a boarder, would not stop screaming. I failed to recognize his irritated body language, and when I went to change his food dishes he punched clean through one of my fingernails.

The next time I saw him, he apologized by putting his foot gently on my wrist and softly murmuring, "It's okay, it's okay."

Cockatoos, man.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    At the manufacturing plant I work at, we have a couple of ponds, and Friday, I saw a bald eagle sitting on the ground near one. I snapped a really bad phone pic.
    sesllfpqmu4l.jpg

I have never seen a bald eagle around here. There are poles for nests on the highway near Lake Eufala about 100 miles southwest of here so I'm sure they could make the journey easily, but there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to do so.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    maybe looking for fish or small animals around the ponds?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    That is one plump happy birb

A normal pidgeon weighs in at about 250g-350g on average. Kereru clonk in at 650g-850g - so close to 2 to 3 times the weight of your average pigeon. They are INCREDIBLY fat.

In this case, that tree down the road is covered in fruit at the moment, and the Kereru are having huge fun stuffing their faces - I've seen them there repeatedly, and the tree is beginning to look comically threadbare in a few places where the berries have been picked clean.

Also when i say berries, i mean chunky fruits that are most of the size of the Kereru's head. They just... swallow them whole, because they have zero dignity.

Also not seen in that photo: The tiny tauhou who was very mad about the invader in ITS TREE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE.

...The Kereru was really not phased by this little mad Tauhou, but hey, the Tauhou was trying it's best. (The Tauhou have also been at war with the local bumblebees over who the nectar feeder should belong to, and watching a Tauhou get headbutted by a bumble bee is very funny)

I read this a few hours ago and keep remembering, "because they have zero dignity". It's cracking me up, thanks. Also geeze, y'all have some pretty birds over there.

Here's a bird I caught in a funny pose once:
    vdn7a6f8h4i4.jpg

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Kererū have so little dignity they're known for being drunk and disorderly, on account of eating fermented berries and then flying into things.

Recent Burd antics in fortress Burd have been pretty limited, because it's summer and there's lots of food elsewhere. Still, there's been a young tui who is a first time parent+ trying to make the apple tree their personal domain

Which lead to them being Very Brave when I was down there fiddling with something, and instead of fleeing like the Tui normally do, they tried to fight me in the traditional tui manner: pick a branch them yell at me loudly

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Managed to get out a bit more this spring and am getting a better handle on my new camera. COMMENCE BIRD DUMP NOW

52590036191_cd805b92da_c.jpg
    Acrobatic White Breasted Nuthatch

52899729126_993cdb9e11_c.jpg
    Friendly Flicker

52900125520_2bcb52c6c1_c.jpg
    Why hullo there

52899159517_b8c957598f_c.jpg
    Singing Sparrow (full 600mm zoom crop)

52899731926_29c420464f_c.jpg
    Great Horned Owl Fledgling

52899732471_672ae643af_c.jpg
    Great Horned Momma

52899168127_09a633232c_c.jpg
    Some sorta sideways fella (Downy Woodpecker)

52900125040_e9583fdb86_c.jpg
    Bonus Lounging Greater Thorny Bird

These were taken around the Edmonton and Calgary area.

Birds

BIRDS.

• Options
    hell yeah great shots!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    am i a joke to you brenda

• Options
  • Options
    owls so fluffy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    DSCN0418-1.jpg

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is that a goldfish?

• Options
    Warbler I believe
    vMYxF8McZE.webp
    w60ERUnKOn.webp

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I was filling my grandma's bird feeders for her today and a little red breasted nuthatch was watching me the whole time, first from the tree and then he popped down to get a drink from the birdbath while continuing to wait for me to give him delicious seeds. They're funny little birds, nuthatches.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Holy hell look at that little guy

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Untitled-design-2.png

• Options
    TIL Schmimby Pimby is a disney princess.

• Options
    DSCN1104.jpg

• Options
    DSCN1147.jpg
    DSCN1150-1.jpg
    DSCN1143.jpg

• Options
    Hob what kind of camera do you use? Phone? Nicer than phone?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    A good to fair condition hand me down Nikon S7000, I don't know cameras from crabapples but this is perfect to my purposes, easy to use and fits in your pocket with shocking good zoom capabilities

• Options
    DSCN0007-1.jpg
    DSCN1164.jpg
    DSCN0155.jpg

• Options
    DSCN1217.jpg

• Options
    Birdbirdbirdbirdbirdbirdbirdbirdb

• Options
    Had a chance encounter with the biggest, rarest owl of 'em all, the Great Grey! It's harvest season out in Alberta and it has brought out all sorts of predators with the mice and rodents fleeing the fields. It was right on the cusp of of sunset, and a minute later it would have been too dark to get a decent snap.

53232640450_f32b14f270_b.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    DSCN1466.jpg
    DSCN1470.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    urgh. your image hosting site has terrible latency. Can't load the images. :(

nvm, now it loads. long legged birb

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    What bird is? Juvenile great blue heron?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    What bird is?

hairy thing what fly also scream in tree

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    What bird is?

hairy thing what fly also scream in tree

You're describing bats. Which are bugs.