Options

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I think that it was a mix of COVID fucking the planet, and also the network being sold off that killed everything. The pandemic made travelling and filming a nightmare, and selling the network means new bosses don't want to deal with the old shows. Plus at the very least, s8 for Legends meant new contracts for Sara and Gideon, if not the rest of the cast/crew.

Speaking of the network being sold off, it's happened again. Warner Media has sold the 75% of the CW it owned to Nexstar Broadcasting Group for $0.

If you're wondering why Warner is giving their broadcast network away for free, it's because the CW has never made a profit in its entire existence. The debt-ridden Warner is essentially allowing someone else to take a colossal money sink off their hands.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I think that it was a mix of COVID fucking the planet, and also the network being sold off that killed everything. The pandemic made travelling and filming a nightmare, and selling the network means new bosses don't want to deal with the old shows. Plus at the very least, s8 for Legends meant new contracts for Sara and Gideon, if not the rest of the cast/crew.

Speaking of the network being sold off, it's happened again. Warner Media has sold the 75% of the CW it owned to Nexstar Broadcasting Group for $0.

If you're wondering why Warner is giving their broadcast network away for free, it's because the CW has never made a profit in its entire existence. The debt-ridden Warner is essentially allowing someone else to take a colossal money sink off their hands.

They made money from the licensing. Quite a bit of it. That's why their shows were so ratings-resistant in a traditional sense.

It's the business model changing.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Not a huge surprise but looks like The Flash is ending after next season, and it'll only be 13 episodes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-flash-ending-season-nine-cw-1235190162

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Not a huge surprise but looks like The Flash is ending after next season, and it'll only be 13 episodes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/the-flash-ending-season-nine-cw-1235190162

Probably for the best. I stopped watching in season 3 because the writing was bad, and the main reason to keep it was the interconnection of the shows...with no other shows, I'm not sure what The Flash has to offer.

I hope they can make a fitting Arrowverse finale out of their last season. Like, resolve the Legends cliffhanger at the very least.

• Options
    They're recasting Jonathan Kent on Superman & Lois as Jordan Elsass is exiting the show

https://deadline.com/2022/08/superman-lois-jonathan-kent-recast-jordan-elsass-exits-the-cw-1235094152/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I will super super appreciate it if they just recast him without explanation rather than try to come up with some Earth Insert Number Here explanation.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I wish the kid luck—it can't be easy to jump into a role under these circumstances.

• Options
    Looks like pretty soon the only DC show on the CW will be Superman & Lois, and even that may not last long.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/stargirl-canceled-season-3-cw-1235418292/

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It's the end of an era, but like it's prolly time. I am going to miss my 20-30something superhero drama though

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It's the end of an era, but like it's prolly time. I am going to miss my 20-30something superhero drama though

I will miss my exposure to endless ads for Clearasil and other puberty-adjacent products.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Seems wild that just a couple of years ago there were like… seven DC shows airing on CW, and they were doing huge 4 hour crossovers between most of them.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The Flash final season February 8th

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Es-t7YpUgT4

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2023/tv/news/superman-and-lois-one-or-two-more-seasons-james-gunn-peter-safran-1235506971/amp/

So happy to hear this! :smiley:

This show is some of the best Superman we have had in media for a very long time!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    When asked about “Superman & Lois,” Gunn said, “It’s a show everybody likes, so it’s going to keep going for a little bit.”

Gunn and Safran were also asked about the fate of the upcoming CW series “Gotham Knights,” though neither had any comment.

Lol

minor incident on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Who gets Misha Collins in the Divorce? Carver or Edlund?

• Options
    When asked about “Superman & Lois,” Gunn said, “It’s a show everybody likes, so it’s going to keep going for a little bit.”

Gunn and Safran were also asked about the fate of the upcoming CW series “Gotham Knights,” though neither had any comment.

Lol

Oh yes, Gotham Knights is DOA.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I didn't even know Gotham Knights was going to be a thing.

I am bummed about Stargirl, I thought it was really good. It ended......well enough I guess. Its definitely rushed for obvious reasons.

She's going to guest star for an episode on titans though.... so......

How is that going to work tonally?

Also Lol

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Who gets Misha Collins in the Divorce? Carver or Edlund?

Rob Benedict, obviously.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Lol

Oh yes, Gotham Knights is DOA.

Is it something as stupid as the game underperforming so they conclude that no-one's interested in the property? My magic 8-ball says all signs point to yes, but that thing's notoriously unreliable.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Looks like we'll get some kind of closure for the Legends in the final season of The Flash

https://www.cbr.com/dc-legends-of-tomorrow-appear-flash-final-season/

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    One last ride for the best goddamn superhero team on tv.

And Booster Gold!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Leave it to The Flash to make a Groundhog Day episode without
    the "fucking around for shits and giggles"
    section.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Leave it to The Flash to make a Groundhog Day episode without
    the "fucking around for shits and giggles"
    section.

It's been done. Eureka did it. So did ST Discovery.

But it's rare.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Stargate SG-1 had the best Groundhog Day episode.

“In the middle of my backswing!”

• Options
    I'm a fan of the Legends of Tomorrow one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Stargate SG-1 had the best Groundhog Day episode.

“In the middle of my backswing!”

My thoughts exactly, SG1 had by far my favorite Groundhog Day episode.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    IIRC the Buffy Groundhog Day episode was pretty straight forward.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    IIRC the Buffy Groundhog Day episode was pretty straight forward.

They did a few gags in it, but it was only part of the episode so the whole thing is pretty forgettable.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    And then there was the best Groundhog Day on television, Supernatural's "Mystery Spot"

and that's not even a derail, because you know Supernatural was somewhere in the same multiverse overlap as Arrowverse

amateurhour on
  • Options
    And then there was the best Groundhog Day on television, Supernatural's "Mystery Spot"

and that's not even a derail, because you know Supernatural was somewhere in the same multiverse overlap as Arrowverse

Well, Supernatural the television production exists in the Arrowverse, at least.

• Options
    YES!

• Options
    So with the first half of The Flash's last season a dud, it's time to turn to the other comic-adjacent shows left, Superman & Lois and Gotham Knights. Anyone watching these?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gotham Knights got canned before it premeiered yeah?

Superman and Lois gets a last season though I think.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Gotham Knights got canned before it premeiered yeah?

Superman and Lois gets a last season though I think.

I think both are technically not canceled, but I wouldn’t bet on either coming back.

• Options
    The first episode of Gotham Knights has a neat premise that establishes a pretty new take on Batman, but it honestly just wasn’t very good. I’m watching it for now, but between the fact that I’m like 98% sure it’s gonna be cancelled and it also just not doing anything all that engaging, I doubt I’ll finish the season at this rate.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    S&L is getting to finish on its own terms and is consistently excellent.

Not sure about GK.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The first episode of Gotham Knights has a neat premise that establishes a pretty new take on Batman, but it honestly just wasn’t very good. I’m watching it for now, but between the fact that I’m like 98% sure it’s gonna be cancelled and it also just not doing anything all that engaging, I doubt I’ll finish the season at this rate.

I enjoyed it, but it will probably benefit from having a short run (due to cancellation or whatever). All of the DC shows have had an issue of going on for too long. Arrow got weaker at the end of its run, and I ended up giving up on Supergirl, Legends, and even Flash last season.

For Gotham Knights, is it based on any existing comics or anything? It largely feel very unfamiliar character wise for me.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Gotham Knights turned out to be a bit of a bait and switch. Only one of the kids in Batman Junior's team is the child of a supervillain, when the presented synopsis made it sound like all of them would be. Ironically, Stephanie Brown, who is the daughter of a supervillain in the comics, is present in the show, at least in name. But her character is heavily reimagined into one of Batman Junior's private academy peers, which makes it seem unlikely that her father is the derivative criminal Cluemaster. Instead, she is this show's hackerman. Is every action show required by law to have one of those now?

The Court of Owls are set up as the main antagonists, but Gotham already did a Court of Owls season six years ago, so this doesn't feel novel at all.

Inversely to @minor incident, the knowledge that this show is likely to be a done-in-one motivates me to stick with it. Might as well get as much CW superhero media as I still can before seeing the era off for good. It reminds me of 2002's Birds of Prey. Both shows about Batman's estranged children, both with a much more tenuous connection to Batman lore than the premise would suggest, and both destined to become forgotten trivia.

• Options
    I love Court of Owls stuff, but yeah, I’m not overly hopeful about Gotham Knights having a novel or overly engaging take on it.

A couple of odd bits of canon it sets up:
    This Batman killed the Joker. And he has probably hasn’t had a proper live-in adopted Robin. Carrie Kelly plays a role that’s more like one of Sherlock Holmes’ irregulars, being kind of a street level informant that he had supplied some gear to, and she says he referred to her as “his little Robin.”

Also, having Duella be a lead character in a show where Harvey Dent is also an important main cast member is… interesting. Would be neat if they do some exploration of Dent’s character, because at the moment he basically just seems to be a righteous Jim Gordon stand-in.